[PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

12

[PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
flavor which is going to replace XE.

Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed XWiki now.

As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
:)).

Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
* "XWiki Flavor"
* "Default XWiki Flavor"
* "Generic XWiki Flavor"
* "Base XWiki Flavor"

"Generic" is probably a way too technical term.

"Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.

Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
"Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.

WDYT ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]

> I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
> flavor which is going to replace XE.
>
> Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed
> XWiki now.
>
> As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
> to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
> :)).
>
> Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
> * "XWiki Flavor"
> * "Default XWiki Flavor"

+1 for Default XWiki Flavor

> * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
> * "Base XWiki Flavor"
>
> "Generic" is probably a way too technical term.
>
> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>
> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor.

I really hope that in future we will change our mind (and have the
resources) to support more than 1 flavor.

On 05/24/2017 05:51 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
> flavor which is going to replace XE.
>
> Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed XWiki now.
>
> As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
> to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
> :)).
>
> Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
> * "XWiki Flavor"
> * "Default XWiki Flavor"
> * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
> * "Base XWiki Flavor"

A few more ideas:

* Classic
* Raw
* Starter

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/24/2017 05:51 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
>> flavor which is going to replace XE.
>>
>> Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed XWiki now.
>>
>> As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
>> to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
>> :)).
>>
>> Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
>> * "XWiki Flavor"
>> * "Default XWiki Flavor"
>> * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
>> * "Base XWiki Flavor"
>
> A few more ideas:
>
> * Classic
> * Raw
> * Starter

Not a fan or "Raw".

I like "Classic", might sound better than "Default" for most users.
Not sure about "Starter".

>> "Generic" is probably a way too technical term.
>>
>> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
>> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
>> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
>> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>>
>> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
>> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
>> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
>> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
>> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
>> fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

oseres
I m also in flavor of Classic Flavor for 3 reasons :
For the last 10 years, it was THE (only one) proposed flavor, now we might have more than one
There is "Class" in classic , sound positive to me
It has a distinguishable name

I find "xwiki flavour"  confusing ( it implies that other flavors are non-xwiki ones...)

Olivier Sérès

> Le 24 mai 2017 à 14:03, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 05/24/2017 05:51 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
>>> flavor which is going to replace XE.
>>>
>>> Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed XWiki now.
>>>
>>> As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
>>> to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
>>> :)).
>>>
>>> Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
>>> * "XWiki Flavor"
>>> * "Default XWiki Flavor"
>>> * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
>>> * "Base XWiki Flavor"
>>
>> A few more ideas:
>>
>> * Classic
>> * Raw
>> * Starter
>
> Not a fan or "Raw".
>
> I like "Classic", might sound better than "Default" for most users.
> Not sure about "Starter".
>

>>> "Generic" is probably a way too technical term.
>>>
>>> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
>>> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
>>> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
>>> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>>>
>>> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
>>> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
>>> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
>>> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
>>> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
>>> fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>

>> --
>> Sergiu Dumitriu
>> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 for Classic

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for Classic

Classic sounds good. +1

> > I m also in flavor of Classic Flavor for 3 reasons :
> > For the last 10 years, it was THE (only one) proposed flavor, now we
> might
> > have more than one
> > There is "Class" in classic , sound positive to me
> > It has a distinguishable name
> >
> > I find "xwiki flavour"  confusing ( it implies that other flavors are
> > non-xwiki ones...)
> >
> > Olivier Sérès

> > XWiki now.

> tied

> > > Not a fan or "Raw".
> > >
> > > I like "Classic", might sound better than "Default" for most users.
> > > Not sure about "Starter".

> see
> also

> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne
> >

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

What about "Standard XWiki Flavor"? I think it was mentioned in previous
discussions.

It`s basically what you get when you download. Once you start customizing
or installing some other Flavor, it`s no longer "standard".

That and the fact that we used to have, in older versions, a packaging (for
the xar or war module, don`t remember) that featured "standard" in it`s
name.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What about "Standard XWiki Flavor"? I think it was mentioned in previous
> discussions.
>

> It`s basically what you get when you download. Once you start customizing
> or installing some other Flavor, it`s no longer "standard".

Note exactly. When you download XWiki you don't have any Flavor
installed, you choose the classic/standard one among several others
(ok maybe not several right now :)), it's just the first one listed.

> That and the fact that we used to have, in older versions, a packaging (for
> the xar or war module, don`t remember) that featured "standard" in it`s
> name.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > +1 for Classic
>> >

>> Classic sounds good. +1

>> > might

>> installed

>> > tied

>> going
>> > see
>> the
>> > also

>> > --
>> > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> > Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Eduard Moraru
When you download the war, you have no UI. At that point, I guess you will
be proposed to install the default UI associated to your war (which, in
this case, will be one and the same with the "Standard XWiki Flavor") OR
choose from a list of available Flavors. In this case, I guess that
"Standard XWiki Flavor" will not be listed in the flavors list, to avoid
duplication.

If I got things right, then it sounds good to me to see the first option
(i.e. featured) to be the "standard" and, below it, various alternatives
for various/specialized use cases.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What about "Standard XWiki Flavor"? I think it was mentioned in previous
> > discussions.
> >

> > It`s basically what you get when you download. Once you start customizing
> > or installing some other Flavor, it`s no longer "standard".
>
> Note exactly. When you download XWiki you don't have any Flavor
> installed, you choose the classic/standard one among several others
> (ok maybe not several right now :)), it's just the first one listed.
>

> > That and the fact that we used to have, in older versions, a packaging
> (for
> > the xar or war module, don`t remember) that featured "standard" in it`s
> > name.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Classic sounds good. +1

> are

> [hidden email]>

> [hidden email]>

> platform

> >> installed

> not
> Flavor"

> users.

> flavor.
> it's
> installed

> >> going
> actually
> since
> >> the
> I'm
> name.

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

No there is no default UI in this distribution, just flavors.

As I said in the previous mail you will have a flavor picker in which
you will see the classic one and the others.

Of course other distributions of XWiki may still have default UI and
don't let you choose a flavor like XE does.

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you download the war, you have no UI. At that point, I guess you will
> be proposed to install the default UI associated to your war (which, in
> this case, will be one and the same with the "Standard XWiki Flavor") OR
> choose from a list of available Flavors. In this case, I guess that
> "Standard XWiki Flavor" will not be listed in the flavors list, to avoid
> duplication.
>
> If I got things right, then it sounds good to me to see the first option
> (i.e. featured) to be the "standard" and, below it, various alternatives
> for various/specialized use cases.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What about "Standard XWiki Flavor"? I think it was mentioned in previous
>> > discussions.
>> >

>> > It`s basically what you get when you download. Once you start customizing
>> > or installing some other Flavor, it`s no longer "standard".
>>
>> Note exactly. When you download XWiki you don't have any Flavor
>> installed, you choose the classic/standard one among several others
>> (ok maybe not several right now :)), it's just the first one listed.
>>

>> > That and the fact that we used to have, in older versions, a packaging
>> (for
>> > the xar or war module, don`t remember) that featured "standard" in it`s
>> > name.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Eduard

>> are

>> [hidden email]>

>> [hidden email]>

>> platform

>> not
>> Flavor"

>> users.

>> flavor.
>> it's
>> installed

>> actually
>> since
>> I'm
>> name.

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Eduard Moraru
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> No there is no default UI in this distribution, just flavors.
>
> As I said in the previous mail you will have a flavor picker in which
> you will see the classic one and the others.
>
> Of course other distributions of XWiki may still have default UI and
> don't let you choose a flavor like XE does.

I feel we`re having a bit of duplication here between the "default UI" and
the "Flavor" steps. AFAICT, they do pretty much the same thing and should
ideally be merged. Basically, the default UI mechanism should indicate the
recommended flavor/ui (if any) for the war you have, but should also not
enforce it, allowing you to go with whatever flavor you like. There's
really no point in separating the 2 and I guess we are here because they
were developed in separate efforts.

Anyway, back to the original question of the thread, I reiterate my +1 for
"Standard" (I'm not a fan of "classic", which I find awkward and a bit
old-fashion/outdated :), specially if you consider people new to XWiki).

Thanks,
Eduard

> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > When you download the war, you have no UI. At that point, I guess you
> will
> > be proposed to install the default UI associated to your war (which, in
> > this case, will be one and the same with the "Standard XWiki Flavor") OR
> > choose from a list of available Flavors. In this case, I guess that
> > "Standard XWiki Flavor" will not be listed in the flavors list, to avoid
> > duplication.
> >
> > If I got things right, then it sounds good to me to see the first option
> > (i.e. featured) to be the "standard" and, below it, various alternatives
> > for various/specialized use cases.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> previous

> customizing
> >>
> >> Note exactly. When you download XWiki you don't have any Flavor
> >> installed, you choose the classic/standard one among several others
> >> (ok maybe not several right now :)), it's just the first one listed.

> >> (for
> it`s

> now we

> >> are

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> platform

> >> not
> >> Flavor"

> >> users.

> >> flavor.
> >> it's
> >> installed

> not
> >> actually
> than
> >> since
> >> I'm
> >> name.

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Guillaume Delhumeau
I'm not keen on the "Standard" terminology because it can make people think
other flavors (such as Knowleged Flavor) are not standard which could be
seen as pejorative.

"Classic" does not imply being better or worse and describes what this
flavor really is: the "classical" version of XWiki that we have distributed
for years. Which also means: not specialized for a special use-case.

Thanks,

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Eduard Moraru
"Standard" -> Current, generalist, non-specialized, all-round solution,
good for everybody to use or to start with
* https://www.google.ro/search?q=define+standard
* http://www.dictionary.com/browse/standard

"Classic" -> Old, legacy, historical, proven reliable by time, etc. (when
comparing to the modern, current version); generally implies "old", in one
way or another
* https://www.google.ro/search?q=define+classic
* http://www.dictionary.com/browse/classic

You usually have this in software when you have 2 versions: current/modern
one (standard) and the older one (classic).

IMO, "classic", by itself, does not make sense (i.e. when you don`t have a
"standard" to compare with) and it would be sending the wrong message.

Also, everything we do (developing, manual and automated testing, roadmap,
etc.) is around this flavor, so it is the "standard" to which we relate.

I also have nothing against "Generic" or "Default" (i.e. +0) which focus
more on the functional objective of the flavor, but they get a bit
technical by going into these details, so that`s why I felt "Standard" was
abstract enough and also clear enough in sending the right message, which
is "Pick me if you don`t know what you want".

P.S.: "classic" bikeshedding :) (but I guess it's OK on this type of thread
:) )

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > flavors

> new

> when

> > flavor,
> Base

> most

> base
> > course

> it's
> > > not
> nicer
> > > than
> thing
> > flavor.
> > better

> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne
> > >

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

So I’ve read this thread and here’s my POV:

* "Base XWiki Flavor” -1 (same reason as Thomas)
* “Classic XWiki Flavor” -1 (same reason as Edy, it means there’s a non classic and *better* one and we don’t have one so it doesn’t make sense)
* “Raw XWiki Flavor” -1 (not enough meaning IMO and a bit deprecatory)
* “Starter XWiki Flavor” -1 (would mean there’s another flavor which isn’t the case)
* "Default XWiki Flavor” +1
* "Generic XWiki Flavor” +1
* “Standard XWiki Flavor” +1 (makes the most sense IMO)
* "XWiki Flavor”. Here it’s hard to understand that “XWiki” actually means “developed by the XWiki project” and it would work only if other flavors don’t have “XWiki” in the name. This is why I’m -1 ATM for it. IMO it’s not easy enough to differentiate and understand what it means compared to other listed flavors such “Procedure Flavor” from XWiki SAS or “Demo Flavor” from contrib.

> On 24 May 2017, at 11:51, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
> flavor which is going to replace XE.
>
> Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed XWiki now.
>
> As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
> to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
> :)).
>
> Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
> * "XWiki Flavor"
> * "Default XWiki Flavor"
> * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
> * "Base XWiki Flavor"
>
> "Generic" is probably a way too technical term.
>
> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>
> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
> fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.
>
> WDYT ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

So here is the current situation

= Proposition which don't annoy people enough to get a veto

* "Default XWiki Flavor" (+3)
* "Standard XWiki Flavor" (+2)

= Someone gave a veto on those

* "Base XWiki Flavor"
* "Classic XWiki Flavor" (good success for this one until it hits Edy
and Vincent)
* "Raw XWiki Flavor"
* "Starter XWiki Flavor"
* "XWiki Flavor”
* "Generic XWiki Flavor"

Anyone want to change his votes ?

I don't really have a preference between "Default" and "Standard".

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I’ve read this thread and here’s my POV:
>
> * "Base XWiki Flavor” -1 (same reason as Thomas)
> * “Classic XWiki Flavor” -1 (same reason as Edy, it means there’s a non classic and *better* one and we don’t have one so it doesn’t make sense)
> * “Raw XWiki Flavor” -1 (not enough meaning IMO and a bit deprecatory)
> * “Starter XWiki Flavor” -1 (would mean there’s another flavor which isn’t the case)
> * "Default XWiki Flavor” +1
> * "Generic XWiki Flavor” +1
> * “Standard XWiki Flavor” +1 (makes the most sense IMO)
> * "XWiki Flavor”. Here it’s hard to understand that “XWiki” actually means “developed by the XWiki project” and it would work only if other flavors don’t have “XWiki” in the name. This is why I’m -1 ATM for it. IMO it’s not easy enough to differentiate and understand what it means compared to other listed flavors such “Procedure Flavor” from XWiki SAS or “Demo Flavor” from contrib.

>> On 24 May 2017, at 11:51, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I'm getting closer to finish with the hard work around new platform
>> flavor which is going to replace XE.
>>
>> Need to decide what user will see in the Flavor picker when installed XWiki now.
>>
>> As a reminder we decided that this would be a generic flavor, not tied
>> to any specific use case (so forget about "Knwonledge Base Flavor"
>> :)).
>>
>> Here is a few ideas gathered in previous mails:
>> * "XWiki Flavor"
>> * "Default XWiki Flavor"
>> * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
>> * "Base XWiki Flavor"
>>
>> "Generic" is probably a way too technical term.
>>
>> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
>> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
>> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
>> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>>
>> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
>> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
>> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
>> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
>> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
>> fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Denis Gervalle-2
Hi All,
Sorry to jump in after an already long discussion since we are getting close to a conclusion, so I just don’t want my intervention to cause more fuzz than good.
I am in accordance with most of what was said so far, but “Default” looks to me a less valuable naming than “Standard”, it is not a strong opinion, so I give my +1 to “Standard” and +0 to “Default”. I will use “Standard" in the following, just to be clearer, but you can substitute it with “Default” if you wish (you might notice further subtle differences, or not).
So, what I am not sure about now is why all proposals end with “XWiki flavor” (and this is not really about the American spelling of flavour ! :D). All flavours we gonna have surely will be XWiki ones, won’t it ? So if we start with the “Standard XWiki Flavor”, I am afraid we are going to lead a movement where everyone will name their flavour with that same suffix. Is that our intention ?
“XWiki Standard Flavor” would already carry a different meaning, since it would say more “Standard flavour made by the XWiki team”. However, if our intent was more to say this is a generic wiki flavour, using “Standard Wiki Flavor” looks more in line with our intended meaning. And if our meaning is more that this is just a generic flavour, ending with “Standard Flavor” is probably simpler, clearer and better.
WDYT ?
--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 16:48, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
>> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
>> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
>> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>>
>> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
>> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
>> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
>> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
>> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
>> fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Hi Denis and all,

> On 10 Jun 2017, at 11:46, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> Sorry to jump in after an already long discussion since we are getting close to a conclusion, so I just don’t want my intervention to cause more fuzz than good.
> I am in accordance with most of what was said so far, but “Default” looks to me a less valuable naming than “Standard”, it is not a strong opinion, so I give my +1 to “Standard” and +0 to “Default”. I will use “Standard" in the following, just to be clearer, but you can substitute it with “Default” if you wish (you might notice further subtle differences, or not).
> So, what I am not sure about now is why all proposals end with “XWiki flavor” (and this is not really about the American spelling of flavour ! :D). All flavours we gonna have surely will be XWiki ones, won’t it ? So if we start with the “Standard XWiki Flavor”, I am afraid we are going to lead a movement where everyone will name their flavour with that same suffix. Is that our intention ?
> “XWiki Standard Flavor” would already carry a different meaning, since it would say more “Standard flavour made by the XWiki team”. However, if our intent was more to say this is a generic wiki flavour, using “Standard Wiki Flavor” looks more in line with our intended meaning. And if our meaning is more that this is just a generic flavour, ending with “Standard Flavor” is probably simpler, clearer and better.
> WDYT ?

I agree with you.

I think we have 2 choices for the name that appears in the DW UI:
* “Standard”. We may not even need the “Flavor” suffix in the same way as we don’t add an “Extension” suffix in the EM UI. IMO the DW UI for flavors should indicate the author in the UI, something like ”Standard” and then “developed by XWiki Development Team” or “developed by XWiki SAS” or “developed by Denis Gervalle”.
* "XWiki Standard” or “XWiki Standard Flavor” to indicate it’s the one made by the XWiki open source dev team. So that could be the full name but the name we display in the DW UI could simply be “Standard Flavor” and then “developed by XWiki Development Team”, etc.

If we want to use the term “Wiki” then it could come as a replacement for the “Standard” term, to mention that it’s a generic wiki flavor, as opposed to an intranet flavor, a knowledge base flavor, etc. But I agree that “Wiki Flavor” is a good contender (and one that Ludovic mentioned too, he even mentioned Structured Wiki Flavor). I’d be +0 on “Wiki Flavor”. “Standard Wiki Flavor” is also possible and hints that there can be other generic Wiki flavors that are not standard. So I’m also +0 for it.

Now outside of the DW UI, the full name of the flavors done by the XWiki Dev Team could be prefixed with XWiki as in “the XWiki Standard Flavor” (or “XWiki Demo Flavor”). Other companies or individuals would name is with their identity, such as “the <my company> Procedure Flavor”.

> [...]
>>>
>>> "Base" would be misleading IMO since it's not really a base flavor.
>>> Its primary goal is not to be used as a dependency (of course it's
>>> fine to have it as dependency if you just want to add pre installed
>>> extensions to the default flavor). It's a -1 for me.
>>>
>>> Frankly I would simply go for "XWiki Flavor". I know, it's not going
>>> to be the only flavor for XWiki but it's obvious when you actually see
>>> severals of those in the picker anyway and I find it nicer than
>>> "Default XWiki Flavor" which basically means the same thing since the
>>> XWiki core project does not plan to provide any other flavor. I'm also
>>> fine with "Default XWiki Favor" if others think it's a better name.
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

Marta Girdea
Hi,

I'm jumping in a bit late, but I was just wondering if anyone considered
"Vanilla" [1]. It was the absolute first thing that popped to my mind when
I saw the discussion about naming the standard flavour.

Just my 2 cents,
Marta

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> isn’t the case)
> >> * "Default XWiki Flavor” +1
> >> * "Generic XWiki Flavor” +1
> >> * “Standard XWiki Flavor” +1 (makes the most sense IMO)
> >> * "XWiki Flavor”. Here it’s hard to understand that “XWiki” actually
> means “developed by the XWiki project” and it would work only if other
> flavors don’t have “XWiki” in the name. This is why I’m -1 ATM for it. IMO
> it’s not easy enough to differentiate and understand what it means compared
> to other listed flavors such “Procedure Flavor” from XWiki SAS or “Demo
> Flavor” from contrib.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> XWiki now.

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] So, what display name for the new default flavor ?

"XWiki Vanilla", because it`s the *standard flavor* :D Sounds so funny that
I kind of like it :)

However, I`m not so sure about non-techinical users or how that goes with
other stuff that we already or might produce, since we don`t really have a
pattern on that. Fun proposal, though.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Marta Girdea <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > > * "Classic XWiki Flavor" (good success for this one until it hits Edy
> > > and Vincent)
> > > * "Raw XWiki Flavor"
> > > * "Starter XWiki Flavor"
> > > * "XWiki Flavor”
> > > * "Generic XWiki Flavor"
> > >
> > > Anyone want to change his votes ?
> > >
> > > I don't really have a preference between "Default" and "Standard".

> non
> > classic and *better* one and we don’t have one so it doesn’t make sense)
> > isn’t the case)
> > means “developed by the XWiki project” and it would work only if other
> > flavors don’t have “XWiki” in the name. This is why I’m -1 ATM for it.
> IMO
> > it’s not easy enough to differentiate and understand what it means
> compared
> > to other listed flavors such “Procedure Flavor” from XWiki SAS or “Demo

12