Quantcast

[PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

[PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Since 8.0 we have in xwiki-platform a flavor simply called "XWiki
Flavor" which contains more or less the strict minimum to have
something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
Manager, a home page, etc.).

Since we want to promote the new Knowledge Base flavor have a
concurrent called "XWiki" is not really making it a favor so we should
probably find another name for it.

Here are some ideas:

1) "XWiki" Flavor, it's Ok after all
2) "Default" Flavor
3) "Base" Flavor
4) "Lite" Flavor
5) "Mini" Flavor
6) "Minimum" Flavor
7) "Pico" Flavor
8) <another word that means small> Flavor

I don't think keeping "XWiki" is such a great idea. Default is even worst.

I like "Lite" but might sound too much like "the very limited free
version, you are going to have advertisement in a month" theses days.

If I had to vote for only one it would be "Mini" but I'm fine with any
of the following proposals.

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Paul Libbrecht-2
How about Skeleton?

paul

> On 03 Apr 2017, at 16:18, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Since 8.0 we have in xwiki-platform a flavor simply called "XWiki
> Flavor" which contains more or less the strict minimum to have
> something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
> Manager, a home page, etc.).
>
> Since we want to promote the new Knowledge Base flavor have a
> concurrent called "XWiki" is not really making it a favor so we should
> probably find another name for it.
>
> Here are some ideas:
>
> 1) "XWiki" Flavor, it's Ok after all
> 2) "Default" Flavor
> 3) "Base" Flavor
> 4) "Lite" Flavor
> 5) "Mini" Flavor
> 6) "Minimum" Flavor
> 7) "Pico" Flavor
> 8) <another word that means small> Flavor
>
> I don't think keeping "XWiki" is such a great idea. Default is even worst.
>
> I like "Lite" but might sound too much like "the very limited free
> version, you are going to have advertisement in a month" theses days.
>
> If I had to vote for only one it would be "Mini" but I'm fine with any
> of the following proposals.

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 16:18, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Since 8.0 we have in xwiki-platform a flavor simply called "XWiki
> Flavor" which contains more or less the strict minimum to have
> something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
> Manager, a home page, etc.).
>
> Since we want to promote the new Knowledge Base flavor have a
> concurrent called "XWiki" is not really making it a favor so we should
> probably find another name for it.
>
> Here are some ideas:
>
> 1) "XWiki" Flavor, it's Ok after all
> 2) "Default" Flavor
> 3) "Base” Flavor

> 4) "Lite" Flavor
> 5) "Mini" Flavor
> 6) "Minimum" Flavor
> 7) "Pico" Flavor
> 8) <another word that means small> Flavor

This raises a question: Why do we have such a flavor? I don’t think we need one if we have the KB flavor.

The only flavor that would make sense to me is a “Base” flavor that is **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki runtime.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> On 3 Apr 2017, at 16:18, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Since 8.0 we have in xwiki-platform a flavor simply called "XWiki
>> Flavor" which contains more or less the strict minimum to have
>> something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
>> Manager, a home page, etc.).
>>
>> Since we want to promote the new Knowledge Base flavor have a
>> concurrent called "XWiki" is not really making it a favor so we should
>> probably find another name for it.
>>
>> Here are some ideas:
>>
>> 1) "XWiki" Flavor, it's Ok after all
>> 2) "Default" Flavor
>> 3) "Base” Flavor
>
>> 4) "Lite" Flavor
>> 5) "Mini" Flavor
>> 6) "Minimum" Flavor
>> 7) "Pico" Flavor
>> 8) <another word that means small> Flavor
>
> This raises a question: Why do we have such a flavor? I don’t think we need one if we have the KB flavor.
>

> The only flavor that would make sense to me is a “Base” flavor that is **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki runtime.

Note sure what is your point exactly. You want to discuss if it's
allowed to install it as flavor or if it's only a dependency of
another flavor ?

>> I don't think keeping "XWiki" is such a great idea. Default is even worst.
>>
>> I like "Lite" but might sound too much like "the very limited free
>> version, you are going to have advertisement in a month" theses days.
>>
>> If I had to vote for only one it would be "Mini" but I'm fine with any
>> of the following proposals.

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 17:22, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 3 Apr 2017, at 16:18, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> Since 8.0 we have in xwiki-platform a flavor simply called "XWiki
>>> Flavor" which contains more or less the strict minimum to have
>>> something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
>>> Manager, a home page, etc.).
>>>
>>> Since we want to promote the new Knowledge Base flavor have a
>>> concurrent called "XWiki" is not really making it a favor so we should
>>> probably find another name for it.
>>>
>>> Here are some ideas:
>>>
>>> 1) "XWiki" Flavor, it's Ok after all
>>> 2) "Default" Flavor
>>> 3) "Base” Flavor
>>
>>> 4) "Lite" Flavor
>>> 5) "Mini" Flavor
>>> 6) "Minimum" Flavor
>>> 7) "Pico" Flavor
>>> 8) <another word that means small> Flavor
>>
>> This raises a question: Why do we have such a flavor? I don’t think we need one if we have the KB flavor.
>>

>> The only flavor that would make sense to me is a “Base” flavor that is **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki runtime.
>
> Note sure what is your point exactly. You want to discuss if it's
> allowed to install it as flavor or if it's only a dependency of
> another flavor ?

My point is that we should only offer 2 things:
1) the KB flavor
2) or let the user not choose any flavor and have an empty wiki (no wiki pages and minimal set of core extensions)

What is the “XWiki Flavor” right now? You mentioned that it contained wiki pages (such as home page):

"contains more or less the strict minimum to have
something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
Manager, a home page, etc.).”

This doesn’t look like the minimum to me.

So the first thing to agree is about the scope of this “base” flavor. Then we can name it.

If it’s a minimal empty flavor then the best name for me are:
- “Minimal"
- "Base"

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 3 Apr 2017, at 17:22, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> This raises a question: Why do we have such a flavor? I don’t think we need one if we have the KB flavor.
>>>

>>> The only flavor that would make sense to me is a “Base” flavor that is **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki runtime.
>>
>> Note sure what is your point exactly. You want to discuss if it's
>> allowed to install it as flavor or if it's only a dependency of
>> another flavor ?
>
> My point is that we should only offer 2 things:
> 1) the KB flavor
> 2) or let the user not choose any flavor and have an empty wiki (no wiki pages and minimal set of core extensions)

So you want to remove this flavor. You don't need to install any
flavor to have an empty wiki.

> What is the “XWiki Flavor” right now? You mentioned that it contained wiki pages (such as home page):
>
> "contains more or less the strict minimum to have
> something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
> Manager, a home page, etc.).”
>
> This doesn’t look like the minimum to me.
>
> So the first thing to agree is about the scope of this “base” flavor. Then we can name it.

When it was introduced it was defined as the flavor containing what we
think is common to any kind of flavor, the core UI extensions
basically like you have the core jar extensions on the WAR side.

> If it’s a minimal empty flavor then the best name for me are:
> - “Minimal"
> - "Base"

>>> -Vincent

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
If we want to use this flavor as a dependency for the other Flavors that
will be built on top, than I would like it to be called just "XWiki", so
your 1).
All the other flavors built on top would have composed names like "XWiki
KB", "XWiki Groupware", etc.

Otherwise my vote goes to 3) Base or Basic.

I think we should first define what this contains. For me it should not
just be EM, but all the default XWiki capabilities to create content: from
administration, to users, to templates, to editors, to viewers, to
livetable, to navigation, etc. :)

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 3 Apr 2017, at 17:22, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> need one if we have the KB flavor.

> **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for
> other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki runtime.
> >>
> >> Note sure what is your point exactly. You want to discuss if it's
> >> allowed to install it as flavor or if it's only a dependency of
> >> another flavor ?
> >
> > My point is that we should only offer 2 things:
> > 1) the KB flavor
> > 2) or let the user not choose any flavor and have an empty wiki (no wiki
> pages and minimal set of core extensions)
>
> So you want to remove this flavor. You don't need to install any
> flavor to have an empty wiki.
>

> > What is the “XWiki Flavor” right now? You mentioned that it contained
> wiki pages (such as home page):
> >
> > "contains more or less the strict minimum to have
> > something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
> > Manager, a home page, etc.).”
> >
> > This doesn’t look like the minimum to me.
> >
> > So the first thing to agree is about the scope of this “base” flavor.
> Then we can name it.
>
> When it was introduced it was defined as the flavor containing what we
> think is common to any kind of flavor, the core UI extensions
> basically like you have the core jar extensions on the WAR side.
>

> > If it’s a minimal empty flavor then the best name for me are:
> > - “Minimal"
> > - "Base"

> >> Thanks

> worst.

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

As I`ve mentioned in the other mail, I`d prefer "Base" or "Minimal" (as
Vincent mentioned as well), mainly because I would not want users to be
encouraged to use it directly, but instead, to use a flavor that builds on
top of the Base and brings value (like the "Standard" flavor does).

Now, I`m getting a bit confused here as to the nature of this base flavor.
Is it a flavor or is it a distribution? Do we also have an XWiki "Base"
distribution (war) that is slimmed down to support at least the XWiki Base
*flavor*, and anything else will be installed with EM, according to what
any additional "extended" flavor instructs (i.e. through its dependencies)?

Thanks,
Eduard

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If we want to use this flavor as a dependency for the other Flavors that
> will be built on top, than I would like it to be called just "XWiki", so
> your 1).
> All the other flavors built on top would have composed names like "XWiki
> KB", "XWiki Groupware", etc.
>
> Otherwise my vote goes to 3) Base or Basic.
>
> I think we should first define what this contains. For me it should not
> just be EM, but all the default XWiki capabilities to create content: from
> administration, to users, to templates, to editors, to viewers, to
> livetable, to navigation, etc. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:

> should

> we
> > need one if we have the KB flavor.

> is
> > **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for
> > other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki
> runtime.

> > > My point is that we should only offer 2 things:
> > > 1) the KB flavor
> > > 2) or let the user not choose any flavor and have an empty wiki (no
> wiki
> > pages and minimal set of core extensions)
> >
> > So you want to remove this flavor. You don't need to install any
> > flavor to have an empty wiki.
> >

> > > What is the “XWiki Flavor” right now? You mentioned that it contained
> > wiki pages (such as home page):
> > >
> > > "contains more or less the strict minimum to have
> > > something you can call an XWiki instance (Administration, Extension
> > > Manager, a home page, etc.).”
> > >
> > > This doesn’t look like the minimum to me.
> > >
> > > So the first thing to agree is about the scope of this “base” flavor.
> > Then we can name it.
> >
> > When it was introduced it was defined as the flavor containing what we
> > think is common to any kind of flavor, the core UI extensions
> > basically like you have the core jar extensions on the WAR side.
> >

> > > If it’s a minimal empty flavor then the best name for me are:
> > > - “Minimal"
> > > - "Base"
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > worst.

> days.

> any

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

So as I answered Vincent already: you want to get rid of this flavor.

The point of a Flavor is to be installed as a top level UI, being a
XAR is enough to be a flavor dependency.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I`ve mentioned in the other mail, I`d prefer "Base" or "Minimal" (as
> Vincent mentioned as well), mainly because I would not want users to be
> encouraged to use it directly, but instead, to use a flavor that builds on
> top of the Base and brings value (like the "Standard" flavor does).
>
> Now, I`m getting a bit confused here as to the nature of this base flavor.
> Is it a flavor or is it a distribution? Do we also have an XWiki "Base"
> distribution (war) that is slimmed down to support at least the XWiki Base
> *flavor*, and anything else will be installed with EM, according to what
> any additional "extended" flavor instructs (i.e. through its dependencies)?

We have since 8.0 a XWiki distribution (with its WAR and the related
set of jetty/hsqldb, Debian packages, etc.) which contain pretty much
only the strict minimum or platform stuff you can't install easily
with EM (like plugins) and which ask you which flavor you want to
install in the Distribution Wizard (it does not declare any default UI
like XE does).

> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If we want to use this flavor as a dependency for the other Flavors that
>> will be built on top, than I would like it to be called just "XWiki", so
>> your 1).
>> All the other flavors built on top would have composed names like "XWiki
>> KB", "XWiki Groupware", etc.
>>
>> Otherwise my vote goes to 3) Base or Basic.
>>
>> I think we should first define what this contains. For me it should not
>> just be EM, but all the default XWiki capabilities to create content: from
>> administration, to users, to templates, to editors, to viewers, to
>> livetable, to navigation, etc. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:

>> should

>> we
>> > need one if we have the KB flavor.

>> is
>> > **empty** (ie no wiki pages) and that serves as a common base minimum for
>> > other flavors. It would contain the bare minimum to have an XWiki
>> runtime.

>> wiki
>> > pages and minimal set of core extensions)
>> >
>> > So you want to remove this flavor. You don't need to install any
>> > flavor to have an empty wiki.

>> > wiki pages (such as home page):

>> > Then we can name it.
>> >
>> > When it was introduced it was defined as the flavor containing what we
>> > think is common to any kind of flavor, the core UI extensions
>> > basically like you have the core jar extensions on the WAR side.

>> > worst.

>> days.

>> any

>> > --
>> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Eduard Moraru
On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So as I answered Vincent already: you want to get rid of this flavor.

Not really, no. I *am* in favor of having a Base Flavor. It would be
invaluable for when writing other flavors (including the Defaut/Standard/KB
one), since it will take care of really basic setup, like the Velocity
Macro and such. Ideally, a new Flavor should depend on the Base, plus a
handful of applications/extensions and it should be set.

> The point of a Flavor is to be installed as a top level UI, being a
> XAR is enough to be a flavor dependency.
>

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As I`ve mentioned in the other mail, I`d prefer "Base" or "Minimal" (as
> > Vincent mentioned as well), mainly because I would not want users to be
> > encouraged to use it directly, but instead, to use a flavor that builds
> on
> > top of the Base and brings value (like the "Standard" flavor does).

Here I was just talking about the fact that I prefer to emphasize the
"boilerplate" nature of this flavor, vs the Lite/Mini/etc. which might
imply less resource consumption. Nothing more.

> > Now, I`m getting a bit confused here as to the nature of this base
> flavor.
> > Is it a flavor or is it a distribution? Do we also have an XWiki "Base"
> > distribution (war) that is slimmed down to support at least the XWiki
> Base
> > *flavor*, and anything else will be installed with EM, according to what
> > any additional "extended" flavor instructs (i.e. through its
> dependencies)?
>
> We have since 8.0 a XWiki distribution (with its WAR and the related
> set of jetty/hsqldb, Debian packages, etc.) which contain pretty much
> only the strict minimum or platform stuff you can't install easily
> with EM (like plugins) and which ask you which flavor you want to
> install in the Distribution Wizard (it does not declare any default UI
> like XE does).

Cool, then, IMO, we should be promoting only that, and not the XE base
distribution (which we could remove).

Thanks,
Eduard

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> So as I answered Vincent already: you want to get rid of this flavor.
>>

> Not really, no. I *am* in favor of having a Base Flavor. It would be
> invaluable for when writing other flavors (including the Defaut/Standard/KB
> one), since it will take care of really basic setup, like the Velocity
> Macro and such. Ideally, a new Flavor should depend on the Base, plus a
> handful of applications/extensions and it should be set.

I don't think you understood me :)

What you want is a XAR but it does not need to be a flavor.

>> The point of a Flavor is to be installed as a top level UI, being a
>> XAR is enough to be a flavor dependency.
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > As I`ve mentioned in the other mail, I`d prefer "Base" or "Minimal" (as
>> > Vincent mentioned as well), mainly because I would not want users to be
>> > encouraged to use it directly, but instead, to use a flavor that builds
>> on
>> > top of the Base and brings value (like the "Standard" flavor does).
>

> Here I was just talking about the fact that I prefer to emphasize the
> "boilerplate" nature of this flavor, vs the Lite/Mini/etc. which might
> imply less resource consumption. Nothing more.
>

>> > Now, I`m getting a bit confused here as to the nature of this base
>> flavor.
>> > Is it a flavor or is it a distribution? Do we also have an XWiki "Base"
>> > distribution (war) that is slimmed down to support at least the XWiki
>> Base
>> > *flavor*, and anything else will be installed with EM, according to what
>> > any additional "extended" flavor instructs (i.e. through its
>> dependencies)?
>>
>> We have since 8.0 a XWiki distribution (with its WAR and the related
>> set of jetty/hsqldb, Debian packages, etc.) which contain pretty much
>> only the strict minimum or platform stuff you can't install easily
>> with EM (like plugins) and which ask you which flavor you want to
>> install in the Distribution Wizard (it does not declare any default UI
>> like XE does).
>>

> Cool, then, IMO, we should be promoting only that, and not the XE base
> distribution (which we could remove).

This is the whole point but it's not really what we are debating here :)

> Thanks,
> Eduard
>

>> > Thanks,
>> > Eduard

>> from

>> [hidden email]

>> [hidden email]>

>> [hidden email]

>> Extension

>> think

>> that
>> for

>> contained

>> flavor.

>> even

>> free

>> with

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Guillaume Delhumeau
* XWiki Base (on which you can construct), as a synonym of "Foundation"
(for a building). Foundation could be misunderstood because of the Software
foundations like Eclipse or Apache.
* XWiki Stand (as a synonym for Base) or XWiki Shelf
* XWiki Kernel (quite technical but I think technical users are the
targeted audience)
* XWiki Nude (ok it could be confusing, especially with the X in XWiki, but
at least the description is good)
* XWiki Bare
* XWiki Skeleton (already proposed by Paul for the KB flavor)
* XWiki Minimum Requirement

I think the best proposition is "Base" but I'm sad we don't find a better
name.

> [...]
> > "boilerplate" nature of this flavor, vs the Lite/Mini/etc. which might
> > imply less resource consumption. Nothing more.

> >> flavor.
> "Base"
> >> Base
> what
> >> dependencies)?
> >>
> >> We have since 8.0 a XWiki distribution (with its WAR and the related
> >> set of jetty/hsqldb, Debian packages, etc.) which contain pretty much
> >> only the strict minimum or platform stuff you can't install easily
> >> with EM (like plugins) and which ask you which flavor you want to
> >> install in the Distribution Wizard (it does not declare any default UI
> >> like XE does).
> >>

> > Cool, then, IMO, we should be promoting only that, and not the XE base
> > distribution (which we could remove).
>
> This is the whole point but it's not really what we are debating here :)

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Guillaume Delhumeau
* XWiki Minimal Runtime

[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> content:

>> [hidden email]>

>> [hidden email]

>> "XWiki
>> have

>> we

>> minimum

>> it's

>> (no

>> Extension

>> what we

>> is

>> theses

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne
>>

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [PROPOSAL] What name for the minimum XWiki flavor

Guys as I answered to Vincent and Edy the name only matter if we want
it to be a flavor, something a user install.

If we want to restrict it to be a dependency only (kind of an abstract
flavor) which seems to be the case for almost everyone who answered
this thread then it won't be listed with other flavors and the name
does not really matter much anymore.

I'm fine with that, I just want it to be clear and not debate for ages
if it the end nobody want it to be a flavor :)