Panels

Gerritjan Koekkoek
 have a two questions about Panels
1) How can I make the panel default display "collapsed"?
2) Is there any logic in where you define the display of panels
- in the admin - presentation ; attributes, show left panel = true, left panels, show right panel= true right panels
- panel wizard, but although the setting is show left column
- the admin, per space
- panel wizard, per space

What is the best place to learn understand panels, the do's and do not's?
My problem is that am having difficulties predicting what will happen, some panels can be displayed in a certain space while not in another?

Thx,
Gerritjan

Re: Panels

Raluca Stavro-2
Hello,

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Gerritjan Koekkoek <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  have a two questions about Panels
> 1) How can I make the panel default display "collapsed"?

There is no existing macro that would help you display by default a panel as
being collapsed. The 'collapse' status is stored as a cookie.
See the comments of this issue: http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-325
(you can vote for the issue).

> 2) Is there any logic in where you define the display of panels
> - in the admin - presentation ; attributes, show left panel = true, left
> panels, show right panel= true right panels
> - panel wizard, but although the setting is show left column
> - the admin, per space
> - panel wizard, per space

The logic is very simple:

1) Panels can be set at wiki (Wiki Administration -> Presentation section)
and at space level (Space Administration -> Presentation section)
2) You can choose to display or not the left panels column (by choosing
'YES' or 'NOT' for 'SHOW LEFT PANELS' property) and/or right panels column
(by choosing 'YES' or 'NOT' for 'SHOW RIGHT PANELS' property) for the _whole
wiki_ OR for _certain spaces_
3) You can choose what panels to display by filling the 'LEFT PANELS' and/or
'RIGHT PANELS' properties inside the presentation section at wiki and/or
space level
4) Space level settings (display YES or NO and what panels to be displayed)
override wiki level settings - so if you choose at wiki level to display
left panels, and on space A you choose not to display left panels, then you
will see left panels on the whole wiki besides space A
6) You can use the Panel Wizzard in order to arrange the panels layout
instead of setting the preferences inside the Presentation section.

See also
http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GettingStarted/ChangingTheLogoAndThePanels#HChangingyourwiki27spanels.

> What is the best place to learn understand panels, the do's and do not's?
> My problem is that am having difficulties predicting what will happen, some
> panels can be displayed in a certain space while not in another?

Yes, each space can have its own panels, see the above explanations.

Raluca.

> Thx,
> Gerritjan

Re: Panels

Gerritjan Koekkoek
Hello,

Thx, this is very helpfull
See below for some extra question.

Op 12 feb 2011, om 19:00 heeft Raluca Stavro het volgende geschreven:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Gerritjan Koekkoek <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> have a two questions about Panels
>> 1) How can I make the panel default display "collapsed"?
>>

> There is no existing macro that would help you display by default a panel as
> being collapsed. The 'collapse' status is stored as a cookie.
> See the comments of this issue: http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-325
> (you can vote for the issue).
What can we do with some scripting (Velocity or Groovy or Javascript extension)?

>> 2) Is there any logic in where you define the display of panels
>> - in the admin - presentation ; attributes, show left panel = true, left
>> panels, show right panel= true right panels
>> - panel wizard, but although the setting is show left column
>> - the admin, per space
>> - panel wizard, per space
>>

> The logic is very simple:
>
> 1) Panels can be set at wiki (Wiki Administration -> Presentation section)
> and at space level (Space Administration -> Presentation section)
> 2) You can choose to display or not the left panels column (by choosing
> 'YES' or 'NOT' for 'SHOW LEFT PANELS' property) and/or right panels column
> (by choosing 'YES' or 'NOT' for 'SHOW RIGHT PANELS' property) for the _whole
> wiki_ OR for _certain spaces_
> 3) You can choose what panels to display by filling the 'LEFT PANELS' and/or
> 'RIGHT PANELS' properties inside the presentation section at wiki and/or
> space level
> 4) Space level settings (display YES or NO and what panels to be displayed)
> override wiki level settings - so if you choose at wiki level to display
> left panels, and on space A you choose not to display left panels, then you
> will see left panels on the whole wiki besides space A
> 6) You can use the Panel Wizzard in order to arrange the panels layout
> instead of setting the preferences inside the Presentation section.
>
> See also
> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GettingStarted/ChangingTheLogoAndThePanels#HChangingyourwiki27spanels.
>

>> What is the best place to learn understand panels, the do's and do not's?
>> My problem is that am having difficulties predicting what will happen, some
>> panels can be displayed in a certain space while not in another?
>>

> Yes, each space can have its own panels, see the above explanations.
>
> Raluca.
>

>> Thx,
>> Gerritjan

Re: Panels

Lockie
Hi Gerritjan

To display panels as collapsed, attach a Javascript sheet to a page (Edit>Objects>Javascript Extension). Put the following code in:

document.observe('xwiki:dom:loaded', function() {
   $$('.panel').each(function(item) {
     item.removeClassName('expanded');
     item.addClassName('collapsed');
   });
});

Mark it as 'Always on this Wiki'.

Hope this helps,

Lockie
Lockie

Re: Panels

Raluca Stavro-2
Hello

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Lockie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gerritjan
>
> To display panels as collapsed, attach a Javascript sheet to a page
> (Edit>Objects>Javascript Extension). Put the following code in:
>
> document.observe('xwiki:dom:loaded', function() {
>   $$('.panel').each(function(item) {
>     item.removeClassName('expanded');
>     item.addClassName('collapsed');
>   });
> });

This will collapse all the panels.

Another temporary solution (until the issue will be fixed by someone), is to
not use a macro, but to write directly the HTML structure of the header,
inside the panel content:

<h1 class="xwikipaneltitle"
onclick="XWiki.togglePanelVisibility(this.parentNode, '');">_panel
title_</h1>
_here it comes the panel content_
#panelfooter()

This way you set the status as being collapsed by default, for the current
panel.
Note that the cookies will not work anymore for such a panel and it will
always be collapsed on loading the page.

Raluca.