Problem of content author in farm wikis - Pain point

Problem of content author in farm wikis - Pain point

I’d like to raise a pain point.

Environment:
* myxwiki.org
* lescastcodeurs wiki

What happened:
* We upgraded myxwiki.org
* Emmanuel (an Admin user of the lescastcodeurs wiki) got the Distribution Wizard and followed it to upgrade the wiki

The problem:
* Several features are broken. For example AppWithinMinutes (some pages display red boxes saying that the last author didn’t have script rights)

The reason:
* Emmanuel was admin but didn’t have script rights (after some xwiki upgrade that caused existing users to not have script rights if not set explicitly)
* For ex on the AppWithinMinutes space: https://www.evernote.com/l/AHcaXGYEzdZJXLTQEy2Vbohcfzu5vMbxkBM

Brainstorming:
1) What should we do to not have this problem?
2) What solution do we offer to fix it easily?

Re 2) we have:
* http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20Content%20Author
* http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20creator%2C%20author%20or%20contentAuthor/

However none are good for me without changes since they either change all pages in the wiki (which is not what I want) or they change only a single page.

Any idea?

Re: Problem of content author in farm wikis - Pain point

Denis Gervalle-2
Vincent,
> Emmanuel was admin but didn’t have script rights
How could this be ? If you have ADMIN right, you have SCRIPT right and there is no way to loose it. So the current design is probably not the cause of your issue, but we might have some hidden bug or some misunderstanding here.
I tried to found the issue on your wiki without success. Did you fix the problem ? if so, how ? or can you show me where you see an issue in order to understand the real problem you are facing ?
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 11:42, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi devs,

[...]

Hi Denis,

> On 19 Aug 2017, at 12:02, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Vincent,
>> Emmanuel was admin but didn’t have script rights
> How could this be ? If you have ADMIN right, you have SCRIPT right and there is no way to loose it. So the current design is probably not the cause of your issue, but we might have some hidden bug or some misunderstanding here.

Ok I assumed is was because of this reason but it could be something else indeed

The problem I saw was on:
http://lescastcodeurs.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/edit/Episodes/Code/EpisodesClass?wizard=true&template=AppWithinMinutes.ClassTemplate&parent=Episodes.WebHome&title=Episodes%20Class

There’s this error:
"org.xwiki.rendering.macro.MacroExecutionException: The execution of the [groovy] script macro is not allowed. Check the rights of its last author or the parameters if it's rendered from another script."

> I tried to found the issue on your wiki without success. Did you fix the problem ? if so, how ? or can you show me where you see an issue in order to understand the real problem you are facing ?

No I haven’t fixed it yet. I’m currently improving http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20creator%2C%20author%20or%20contentAuthor/ to handle nested pages.

Thanks for looking into this
-Vincent

> Regards,
> --
> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 11:42, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I’d like to raise a pain point.
>
> Environment:
> * myxwiki.org
> * lescastcodeurs wiki
>
> What happened:
> * We upgraded myxwiki.org
> * Emmanuel (an Admin user of the lescastcodeurs wiki) got the Distribution Wizard and followed it to upgrade the wiki
>
> The problem:
> * Several features are broken. For example AppWithinMinutes (some pages display red boxes saying that the last author didn’t have script rights)
>
> The reason:
> * Emmanuel was admin but didn’t have script rights (after some xwiki upgrade that caused existing users to not have script rights if not set explicitly)
> * For ex on the AppWithinMinutes space: https://www.evernote.com/l/AHcaXGYEzdZJXLTQEy2Vbohcfzu5vMbxkBM
>
> Brainstorming:
> 1) What should we do to not have this problem?
> 2) What solution do we offer to fix it easily?
>
> Re 2) we have:
> * http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20Content%20Author
> * http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20creator%2C%20author%20or%20contentAuthor/
>
> However none are good for me without changes since they either change all pages in the wiki (which is not what I want) or they change only a single page.
>
> Any idea?

Re: Problem of content author in farm wikis - Pain point

Ok the issue was that the AppWithinMinutes.DynamicMessageTool page has lost its PR after the wiki upgrade… :( (Thanks Denis for finding out)

I’ve sent another mail related to fixing PR-requiring-pages.

> [...]
>> * Emmanuel was admin but didn’t have script rights (after some xwiki upgrade that caused existing users to not have script rights if not set explicitly)
>> * For ex on the AppWithinMinutes space: https://www.evernote.com/l/AHcaXGYEzdZJXLTQEy2Vbohcfzu5vMbxkBM
>>
>> Brainstorming:
>> 1) What should we do to not have this problem?
>> 2) What solution do we offer to fix it easily?
>>
>> Re 2) we have:
>> * http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20Content%20Author
>> * http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Change%20creator%2C%20author%20or%20contentAuthor/
>>
>> However none are good for me without changes since they either change all pages in the wiki (which is not what I want) or they change only a single page.
>>
>> Any idea?

Re: Problem of content author in farm wikis - Pain point

So, after discussion with Vincent on IRC, it has revealed that the issue is not related to the SCRIPT right, but to the PROGRAM right.
The macro failing was a Groovy macro. Groovy macro requires programming rights and PR is only allowed to global users. So, when a local wiki user has upgraded the wiki, and the standard package has installed a page containing a groovy macro, this macro was broken.
The standard package installed by the DW is not supposed to contain any Groovy macro due to this limitation. In Vincent particular case, that one was introduced in https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/commit/ae09194f83b9fe1f75778e0a2501a6cc37c4b060.
We probably need to check everywhere in our standard pages, to be sure there aren’t other cases like that, and Vincent just proposed a PR-fixing day for that.
--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO