[Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

[Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
Hello.

I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
<http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10844>, to be able to remove some
applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
which is working quite well.

You can see a screenshot there:
http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png

The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then you
click on "save" and voila.

It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).

If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels

Here is my +1 to put it on master.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

I like the screenshots. The behavior is consistent and similar to what we
have in the Panel Wizard, just you drag applications instead of panels.

It's not exactly what I had in mind when I thought about this issues, I was
thinking more of a favorite mechanism per user, but until then I think it
will work for admins to customize their wiki AppBar.

+1 to commit it on master

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10844>, to be able to remove some
> applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> which is working quite well.
>
> You can see a screenshot there:
> http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
>
> The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then you
> click on "save" and voila.
>
> It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
>
> If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
>
> Here is my +1 to put it on master.

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Hi Guillaume,

Note: I had commented in the issue (before you sent this email!).

On 24 Oct 2014 at 10:11:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like the screenshots. The behavior is consistent and similar to what we
> have in the Panel Wizard, just you drag applications instead of panels.
>
> It's not exactly what I had in mind when I thought about this issues, I was
> thinking more of a favorite mechanism per user, but until then I think it
> will work for admins to customize their wiki AppBar.
>
> +1 to commit it on master
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> > , to be able to remove some
> > applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> > released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> > which is working quite well.
> >
> > You can see a screenshot there:
> > http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
> >
> > The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> > you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> > blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> > the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then you
> > click on "save" and voila.
> >
> > It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
> >
> > If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> > code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
> >
> > Here is my +1 to put it on master.
> >
> > WDYT?

> > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Jean SIMARD
It sounds good and simple enough to be intuitive. The hardest part will probably
be to find the menu.  Is it only accessible in the Admin panel (click on the top
button, then click on "Admin the wiki" then click on left on the "Application
panel menu")?  It would be good to have it accessible from the panel itself (but
maybe there is already something?).

Anyway, nice work!  I'm also +1 to commit that.
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 06:17:09PM +0200, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10844>, to be able to remove some
> applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> which is working quite well.
>
> You can see a screenshot there:
> http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
>
> The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then you
> click on "save" and voila.
>
> It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
>
> If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
>
> Here is my +1 to put it on master.

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Jean Simard
[hidden email]
Research engineer at XWiki SAS
http://www.xwiki.com
Committer on the XWiki.org project
http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Jean SIMARD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It sounds good and simple enough to be intuitive. The hardest part will
> probably
> be to find the menu.  Is it only accessible in the Admin panel (click on
> the top
> button, then click on "Admin the wiki" then click on left on the
> "Application
> panel menu")?  It would be good to have it accessible from the panel
> itself (but
> maybe there is already something?).

Not sure what you mean, but just for the record AppBar come in the
leftpanels by default, so no need to find it and add it.
Regarding the easiness to configure it, currently we don't have it like
that, but in the original proposal the configure link was in the 'More'
section, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Skin4x/profileDesktopSnapshotAnnotationsAppBar.png

> Anyway, nice work!  I'm also +1 to commit that.
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 06:17:09PM +0200, Guillaume "Louis-Marie"
> Delhumeau wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> > <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10844>, to be able to remove some
> > applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> > released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> > which is working quite well.
> >
> > You can see a screenshot there:
> > http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
> >
> > The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> > you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> > blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> > the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then
> you
> > click on "save" and voila.
> >
> > It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
> >
> > If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> > code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
> >
> > Here is my +1 to put it on master.
> >
> > WDYT?

> > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project

> Jean Simard
> [hidden email]
> Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> http://www.xwiki.com
> Committer on the XWiki.org project
> http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Looks good, +1.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10844>, to be able to remove some
> applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> which is working quite well.
>
> You can see a screenshot there:
> http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
>
> The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then you
> click on "save" and voila.
>
> It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
>
> If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
>
> Here is my +1 to put it on master.

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

jerem

Just a small question, does the order you drag applications, have an impact
on the order used to display them in the app bar ?
Can you change this order in some way, or it's just in app bar / not in app
bar ?

Thanks,
Jeremie

[hidden email]>:

> Hello.
>
> I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10844>, to be able to remove some
> applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> which is working quite well.
>
> You can see a screenshot there:
> http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
>
> The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then you
> click on "save" and voila.
>
> It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
>
> If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
>
> Here is my +1 to put it on master.

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Eduard Moraru
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Jeremie BOUSQUET <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a small question, does the order you drag applications, have an impact
> on the order used to display them in the app bar ?
> Can you change this order in some way, or it's just in app bar / not in app
> bar ?

I also agree that Drag & Drop without considering the user's order would be
a bit cumbersome/frustrating. If it's not done like that yet, it's
definitely a good direction for improvement.

Thanks,
Eduard

On 24 Oct 2014 at 21:26:36, Eduard Moraru ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Jeremie BOUSQUET <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a small question, does the order you drag applications, have an impact
> > on the order used to display them in the app bar ?
> > Can you change this order in some way, or it's just in app bar / not in app
> > bar ?
> >

> I also agree that Drag & Drop without considering the user's order would be
> a bit cumbersome/frustrating. If it's not done like that yet, it's
> definitely a good direction for improvement.

I also agree that we definitely need that the user be able to decide on the order in the list of apps displayed.

> Eduard
>

> > Thanks,
> > Jeremie

> > [hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I have worked a bit on http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10333
> > > , to be able to remove some
> > > applications from the left bar. I wanted to propose it before 6.3M2 is
> > > released, so I have made a prototype (without doing a proper proposal)
> > > which is working quite well.
> > >
> > > You can see a screenshot there:
> > > http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/29296/customizable-app-bar.png
> > >
> > > The principle is very simple: on the left, you have the applications that
> > > you want to have in the app bar. On the left, the others (stored in a
> > > blacklist actually). You just need to drag&drop the icon from the left to
> > > the right, or from the right to the left, to change your settings. Then
> > you
> > > click on "save" and voila.
> > >
> > > It is written with jQuery and jQuery-ui (loaded via a webjar).
> > >
> > > If you like it, I can commit it on master. FYI, you can already see the
> > > code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
> > >
> > > Here is my +1 to put it on master.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Jean SIMARD
Hi Caty,

I was talking about the "Configure" link in your snapshot (to access the menu to
configure the AppBar).  Since it's in the screenshot, it means that my question
is already solved so that's good :-) (or at least planned).

Thanks,
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:03:20PM +0300, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:

> [...]
> > > code there: https://github.com/gdelhumeau/xwiki-platform/compare/panels
> > >
> > > Here is my +1 to put it on master.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > > Committer on the XWiki.org project

> > Jean Simard
> > [hidden email]
> > Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> > http://www.xwiki.com
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project
> > http://www.xwiki.org

Jean Simard
[hidden email]
Research engineer at XWiki SAS
http://www.xwiki.com
Committer on the XWiki.org project
http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Hi there.

I am happy you like it.

Concerning the order of the applications: this is something I have in mind
as an improvement of the existing work, so it is not implemented yet.

About having a link to easily find this "customizer" directly in the App
Bar: I actually like the Caty's proposal and it could be an improvement too.

Finally, I have implemented this first version that only enable the admin
to customize the App bar, but again, we should be able, in the future, to
offer this feature to all users in a way that each of them could have a
different "favourite" bar.

Thanks :)

Guillaume

Re: [Proposal] A tool to customize what applications are displayed on the app bar

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
I have created
- http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-11332
and