[Proposal] Add new FigureBlock + associated Listener events

[Proposal] Add new FigureBlock + associated Listener events

I’m proposing to add new events/block to XWiki Rendering to support figures and captions (it corresponds to the HTML5 <figure> & <figcaption> elements).

At this stage I’m not proposing to modify any syntax to support this. We could imagine adding support for this in the HTML5 parser in the near future though.

For more information, see https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-471

I’m starting to work on this so please let me know quickly if you don’t agree.

Of course I won’t break any API (I’ll add default methods to Listener).

Re: [Proposal] Add new FigureBlock + associated Listener events

Note there will be 2 blocks added: FigureBlock and FigureCaptionBlock.

> On 8 Mar 2018, at 09:33, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to add new events/block to XWiki Rendering to support figures and captions (it corresponds to the HTML5 <figure> & <figcaption> elements).
>
> At this stage I’m not proposing to modify any syntax to support this. We could imagine adding support for this in the HTML5 parser in the near future though.
>
> For more information, see https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-471
>
> I’m starting to work on this so please let me know quickly if you don’t agree.
>
> Of course I won’t break any API (I’ll add default methods to Listener).

Re: [Proposal] Add new FigureBlock + associated Listener events

I’ve also put my plan at https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-471?focusedCommentId=97792&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-97792

I’m pasting here for convenience:

So here's my plan FTM:
* Add FigureBlock, FigureCaptionBlock and associated Listener events
* Create a new contrib project for a new {{figure}} macro that would output the new FigureBlock/FigureCaptionBlock
* Modify the HTML5 renderer to support those blocks and generate <figure> and <figcaption> elements
* Make it work also in the LaTeX renderer

> On 8 Mar 2018, at 09:33, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to add new events/block to XWiki Rendering to support figures and captions (it corresponds to the HTML5 <figure> & <figcaption> elements).
>
> At this stage I’m not proposing to modify any syntax to support this. We could imagine adding support for this in the HTML5 parser in the near future though.
>
> For more information, see https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-471
>
> I’m starting to work on this so please let me know quickly if you don’t agree.
>
> Of course I won’t break any API (I’ll add default methods to Listener).

Re: [Proposal] Add new FigureBlock + associated Listener events

> On 8 Mar 2018, at 09:52, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve also put my plan at https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-471?focusedCommentId=97792&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-97792
>
> I’m pasting here for convenience:
>
> So here's my plan FTM:
> * Add FigureBlock, FigureCaptionBlock and associated Listener events
> * Create a new contrib project for a new {{figure}} macro that would output the new FigureBlock/FigureCaptionBlock

^^^ update: I’m planning to introdue the figure macro in xwiki-rendering (we need to keep it close to the new FigureBlocks, it’s more logical - The day an extension can contribute new Blocks and events we can think of extracting it into a separate exension that we would probably bundle by default in XS anyway).