[Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all translations and the other languages are left to the community to maintain on l10n.xwiki.org

This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.

I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example ApplicationResources.properties would correspond to en_US.

I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when there are no translations, which is a good thing).

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
The default should be en_US, for example when we need to make a decision
between using customize or customise.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all
> translations and the other languages are left to the community to maintain
> on l10n.xwiki.org
>
> This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
>
> I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example ApplicationResources.properties
> would correspond to en_US.
>
> I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could
> maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when there
> are no translations, which is a good thing).

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

+1 for en_US

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all
> translations and the other languages are left to the community to maintain
> on l10n.xwiki.org
>
> This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
>
> I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example ApplicationResources.properties
> would correspond to en_US.
>
> I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could
> maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when there
> are no translations, which is a good thing).

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Alex Cotiugă
+1 for en_US

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for en_US
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all
> > translations and the other languages are left to the community to
> maintain
> > on l10n.xwiki.org
> >
> > This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
> >
> > I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example
> ApplicationResources.properties
> > would correspond to en_US.
> >
> > I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could
> > maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when
> there
> > are no translations, which is a good thing).
> >
> > WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Eduard Moraru
+1 for en_US

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Alex Cotiugă <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 for en_US
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 for en_US
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all
> > > translations and the other languages are left to the community to
> > maintain
> > > on l10n.xwiki.org
> > >
> > > This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
> > >
> > > I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example
> > ApplicationResources.properties
> > > would correspond to en_US.
> > >
> > > I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could
> > > maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when
> > there
> > > are no translations, which is a good thing).
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Manuel Smeria-2
Hello,

+1 for en_US

Thanks,
Manuel

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for en_US
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Alex Cotiugă <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 for en_US
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 for en_US

> > > maintain

> “en_GB”.

> > > ApplicationResources.properties

> > > there

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Caleb James DeLisle-3
+1 for en_US

🇺🇸

Thanks,
Caleb

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for en_US
>
> 🇺🇸
>
> Thanks,
> Caleb
>

> On 04/12/17 14:36, Manuel Smeria wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> +1 for en_US
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Manuel
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for en_US
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eduard

>>> “en_GB”.

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 for en_US

> +1 for en_US
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1 for en_US
> >
> > 🇺🇸
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caleb
> >

> > On 04/12/17 14:36, Manuel Smeria wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> +1 for en_US
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Manuel

> [hidden email]>

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

caubin
Hi,

+1 for en_US

Thanks,
Clément

On 12/04/2017 03:05 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau wrote:

> +1 for en_US

>> +1 for en_US
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> +1 for en_US
>>>
>>> 🇺🇸
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caleb

>> [hidden email]>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Thanks to all who answered.

I’ve now documented it at:
* http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HGeneral
* http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/I18N

@Thomas: I’ve tried to add a new language by following http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage but I couldn’t find the page referenced by "Edit the main page of the application.”. Do you think you could add en_GB to the list? Also, I think we should mention somewhere that the en_US version is maintained in Git by the XWiki Core dev team and explain how people could contribute to the en_US version. WDYT?

> On 4 Dec 2017, at 13:35, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all translations and the other languages are left to the community to maintain on l10n.xwiki.org
>
> This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
>
> I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example ApplicationResources.properties would correspond to en_US.
>
> I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when there are no translations, which is a good thing).

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I don't think we should add en_GB and en_US to the list of supported
languages or split the translations. We should use the convention just when
making decisions on the correctness of words. Also I don't think there are
so many differences that it would justify the split.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks to all who answered.
>
> I’ve now documented it at:
> * http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HGeneral
> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/I18N
>
> @Thomas: I’ve tried to add a new language by following http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage but I couldn’t find the page referenced by "Edit the main page of the application.”. Do you think you could add en_GB to the list?

What l10n calls "application" is what you can see listed in the
"Available Applications" panel (on the left), you just need to edit it
and add your locale.

> Also, I think we should mention somewhere that the en_US version is maintained in Git by the XWiki Core dev team and explain how people could contribute to the en_US version. WDYT?

Done on the home page.

>> On 4 Dec 2017, at 13:35, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all translations and the other languages are left to the community to maintain on l10n.xwiki.org
>>
>> This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
>>
>> I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example ApplicationResources.properties would correspond to en_US.
>>
>> I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when there are no translations, which is a good thing).
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

Hi Caty,

> On 4 Dec 2017, at 21:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't think we should add en_GB and en_US to the list of supported
> languages or split the translations.

We should definitely not add en_US to l10n since we maintain that one in Git. But note that en_US is now our officially - by the XWiki core dev team - supported language! :) (that was the point of this thread).

> We should use the convention just when
> making decisions on the correctness of words. Also I don't think there are
> so many differences that it would justify the split.

I don’t think it’s our call. There’s no reason for us to prevent anyone from being able to translate xwiki in their language. Second, I think your comment could be viewed as a bit offensive for some lovers of the british litterature ;) (telling them they should use the US words because “there aren’t so many differences between both languages”). Third, I dont really understand your point: It doesn’t cost anything to us (actually it probably costs us some space on l10n to be precise!).

It’s possible I misunderstood your rationale so please explain more if there’s something I haven’t understood. Maybe you also missed the fact that anyone from the community would only need to add translations for the keys that have a different version from the en_US version one?

I’ll let a few hours for others to comment in case someone else also thinks it’s a bad idea for some reason.

> Caty
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all who answered.
>>
>> I’ve now documented it at:
>> * http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/
>> DevelopmentPractices#HGeneral
>> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/
>> UserGuide/Features/I18N
>>
>> @Thomas: I’ve tried to add a new language by following
>> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage but I couldn’t
>> find the page referenced by "Edit the main page of the application.”. Do
>> you think you could add en_GB to the list? Also, I think we should mention
>> somewhere that the en_US version is maintained in Git by the XWiki Core dev
>> team and explain how people could contribute to the en_US version. WDYT?

>>> On 4 Dec 2017, at 13:35, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> By default the xwiki core committers maintain an “en” version of all
>> translations and the other languages are left to the community to maintain
>> on l10n.xwiki.org
>>>
>>> This mail is about deciding if our “en” version is “en_US” or “en_GB”.
>>>
>>> I propose that we standardize on “en_US”. for example
>> ApplicationResources.properties would correspond to en_US.
>>>
>>> I also propose that we add en_GB on l10n so that the community could
>> maintain a UK version if they want (it would fall back to en_US when there
>> are no translations, which is a good thing).
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

> On 5 Dec 2017, at 09:00, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks to all who answered.
>>
>> I’ve now documented it at:
>> * http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HGeneral
>> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/I18N
>>
>> @Thomas: I’ve tried to add a new language by following http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage but I couldn’t find the page referenced by "Edit the main page of the application.”. Do you think you could add en_GB to the list?
>
> What l10n calls "application" is what you can see listed in the
> "Available Applications" panel (on the left), you just need to edit it
> and add your locale.

There are 4 apps there. Does it mean I need to add the new language to all 4 apps? Does it also mean that the list of supported languages in the panel on the right is the sum of all languages supported by all those apps (ie a flag can there even if only supported by only 1 app)?

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 5 Dec 2017, at 09:00, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks to all who answered.
>>>
>>> I’ve now documented it at:
>>> * http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HGeneral
>>> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/I18N
>>>
>>> @Thomas: I’ve tried to add a new language by following http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage but I couldn’t find the page referenced by "Edit the main page of the application.”. Do you think you could add en_GB to the list?
>>
>> What l10n calls "application" is what you can see listed in the
>> "Available Applications" panel (on the left), you just need to edit it
>> and add your locale.
>
> There are 4 apps there. Does it mean I need to add the new language to all 4 apps?

Yes.

> Does it also mean that the list of supported languages in the panel on the right is the sum of all languages supported by all those apps (ie a flag can there even if only supported by only 1 app)?

The panel on the right depends on the context (if you are on the home
page then it's all the supported languages in all applications).

>>> Also, I think we should mention somewhere that the en_US version is maintained in Git by the XWiki Core dev team and explain how people could contribute to the en_US version. WDYT?
>>
>> Done on the home page.
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Agree on en_US vs en_GB

> On 5 Dec 2017, at 09:43, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> What l10n calls "application" is what you can see listed in the
>>> "Available Applications" panel (on the left), you just need to edit it
>>> and add your locale.
>>
>> There are 4 apps there. Does it mean I need to add the new language to all 4 apps?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it also mean that the list of supported languages in the panel on the right is the sum of all languages supported by all those apps (ie a flag can there even if only supported by only 1 app)?
>
> The panel on the right depends on the context (if you are on the home
> page then it's all the supported languages in all applications).

ok thanks, didn’t know that ;)