[Proposal] Always use staging for releases

[Proposal] Always use staging for releases

I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:

1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
3) Wait for 48 hours
4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)

We could start with 2.5.

- Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
- Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

+1

On 09/27/2010 10:40 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

sorinello
+1

On 09/27/2010 10:40 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

Silvia Rusu

+1

Silvia

Pe 27.09.2010 10:40, Vincent Massol a scris:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

Alex Busenius-3
+1

Alex

On 09/27/2010 09:40 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
+1,

JV.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

Florin Ciubotaru-2
+1

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for
> our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the
> release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail
> is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (
> xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days
> more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix
> releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

Caleb James DeLisle
+1

Caleb

Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

Denis Gervalle-2
+1

Denis

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 18:33, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> +1
>
> Caleb
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on
> for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
> >
> > 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> > 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test
> the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a
> mail is sent.
> > 3) Wait for 48 hours
> > 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (
> xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
> >
> > We could start with 2.5.
> >
> > - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days
> more in order not to be late because of this.
> > - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix
> releases.
> >
> > WDYT?

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
eGuilde sarl - CTO

Re: [Proposal] Always use staging for releases

On 09/27/2010 09:40 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we always go through Nexus staging from now on for our Main and Bugfix releases. The process would be:
>
> 1) Release to a staged repo (with the final version name)
> 2) Send a testing mail on devs and users lists to allow people to test the release. Note: we don't make the release avail on xwiki.org, just a mail is sent.
> 3) Wait for 48 hours
> 4) Promote the staged release to final and finish the release process (xwiki.org update, announcements, etc)
>
> We could start with 2.5.
>
> - Note 1: This means that in our release dates we should allow for 2 days more in order not to be late because of this.
> - Note 2: This is not for milestones or RC. Just for final and bugfix releases.
>
> WDYT?

+1.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/