[Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

[Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

I’d like to modify the Release Notes app to autogenerate summaries for releases.

The idea is to auto generate it based on the headings for user , admins and devs headers.

For ex, taking the 10.2 release notes it would give:

"For users: New default Color Theme, Figure Macro, Rename/Move protection and Minor changes do not generate notifications anymore. For admins: Default Notifications. For Developers: REST API now supports the use of minor revision for page changes, Translation fallback and Jobs improvements."

It's not too bad IMO.

Re: [Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 10:28, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’d like to modify the Release Notes app to autogenerate summaries for releases.
>
> The idea is to auto generate it based on the headings for user , admins and devs headers.
>
> For ex, taking the 10.2 release notes it would give:
>
> "For users: New default Color Theme, Figure Macro, Rename/Move protection and Minor changes do not generate notifications anymore. For admins: Default Notifications. For Developers: REST API now supports the use of minor revision for page changes, Translation fallback and Jobs improvements.”

To give a comparions this is how we manually summarised it:

"This release has a fresh look thanks to its new default color theme. A new Figure macro is available for content creators to add illustrations along with optional captions. Renaming and moving standard pages is now discouraged with a warning message that should prevent editors from breaking XWiki.”

Ofc, the manual summary is nicer but I think the automated one could be enough for the user to know the topics and then check the release notes to understand better what’s in it.

Context: This is an effort to automate further our release process and to win some more minutes.

> It's not too bad IMO.

Re: [Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 since we want to release often, it's better to have a lot of things
automated.

Additional proposition: automate the blog post and the twitter message that
announce the release.

> > On 17 Apr 2018, at 10:28, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I’d like to modify the Release Notes app to autogenerate summaries for
> releases.
> >
> > The idea is to auto generate it based on the headings for user , admins
> and devs headers.
> >
> > For ex, taking the 10.2 release notes it would give:
> >
> > "For users: New default Color Theme, Figure Macro, Rename/Move
> protection and Minor changes do not generate notifications anymore. For
> admins: Default Notifications. For Developers: REST API now supports the
> use of minor revision for page changes, Translation fallback and Jobs
> improvements.”
>
> To give a comparions this is how we manually summarised it:
>
> "This release has a fresh look thanks to its new default color theme. A
> new Figure macro is available for content creators to add illustrations
> along with optional captions. Renaming and moving standard pages is now
> discouraged with a warning message that should prevent editors from
> breaking XWiki.”
>
> Ofc, the manual summary is nicer but I think the automated one could be
> enough for the user to know the topics and then check the release notes to
> understand better what’s in it.
>
> Context: This is an effort to automate further our release process and to
> win some more minutes.

> > It's not too bad IMO.
> >
> > WDYT?

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 10:35, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 since we want to release often, it's better to have a lot of things
> automated.
>
> Additional proposition: automate the blog post

We need the summary so if we automate the summary we can indeed automate the blog post.

> and the twitter message that
> announce the release.

This is already automated AFAIK.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 17 Apr 2018, at 10:35, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1 since we want to release often, it's better to have a lot of things
>> automated.
>>
>> Additional proposition: automate the blog post
>
> We need the summary so if we automate the summary we can indeed automate the blog post.

Yes what we do now by hand is pretty much just copy/pasting summary in
some template right now. We should ideally automate it even if we
don't automate the summary (i.e. we should extract the summary from
the RN).

>> and the twitter message that
>> announce the release.
>
> This is already automated AFAIK.

Yes the twitt is sent by a script.

>>> releases.

>>> and devs headers.

>>> protection and Minor changes do not generate notifications anymore. For
>>> admins: Default Notifications. For Developers: REST API now supports the
>>> use of minor revision for page changes, Translation fallback and Jobs
>>> improvements.”
>>>
>>> To give a comparions this is how we manually summarised it:
>>>
>>> "This release has a fresh look thanks to its new default color theme. A
>>> new Figure macro is available for content creators to add illustrations
>>> along with optional captions. Renaming and moving standard pages is now
>>> discouraged with a warning message that should prevent editors from
>>> breaking XWiki.”
>>>
>>> Ofc, the manual summary is nicer but I think the automated one could be
>>> enough for the user to know the topics and then check the release notes to
>>> understand better what’s in it.
>>>
>>> Context: This is an effort to automate further our release process and to
>>> win some more minutes.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

Guillaume Delhumeau

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On 17 Apr 2018, at 10:35, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> +1 since we want to release often, it's better to have a lot of things
> >> automated.
> >>
> >> Additional proposition: automate the blog post
> >
> > We need the summary so if we automate the summary we can indeed automate
> the blog post.
>
> Yes what we do now by hand is pretty much just copy/pasting summary in
> some template right now. We should ideally automate it even if we
> don't automate the summary (i.e. we should extract the summary from
> the RN).
>

> >> and the twitter message that
> >> announce the release.
> >
> > This is already automated AFAIK.
>
> Yes the twitt is sent by a script.

Yes but you still need to write its content :) (except is someone has
changed it since the last release I performed).

> admins

> the

> notes to

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Autogenerate release note summaries

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 11:44 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau

>> > We need the summary so if we automate the summary we can indeed automate
>> the blog post.
>>
>> Yes what we do now by hand is pretty much just copy/pasting summary in
>> some template right now. We should ideally automate it even if we
>> don't automate the summary (i.e. we should extract the summary from
>> the RN).

>> > This is already automated AFAIK.
>>
>> Yes the twitt is sent by a script.
>>

> Yes but you still need to write its content :) (except is someone has
> changed it since the last release I performed).

Yes but the content does not have anything to do with the summary. But
sure we could put the right release note in the twitt automatically.