[Proposal] Bundle Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor

[Proposal] Bundle Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor

I’d like to propose that we bundle the Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor, starting with XWiki 9.7RC1.

Rationale:
* No impact for simple users (ie the default)
* For advanced users, it makes editing pages using the wiki editor much nicer
* It’s already a recommended extension on e.x.o and I’m willing to continue supporting it (and I’m sure Edy is interested in doing that too - Right Edy?)

See http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%20Highlighting%20Application for more details.

TBH I don’t really understand why we haven’t bundled this a long time ago.

Does anyone see any issue in bundling it?

Re: [Proposal] Bundle Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor

Eduard Moraru
Big +1.

There might be some nooks and cracks, but we can sort them out with all the
visibility and testing it would get by being in the Standard Flavor.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’d like to propose that we bundle the Syntax Highlighting Extension in
> the Standard flavor, starting with XWiki 9.7RC1.
>
> Rationale:
> * No impact for simple users (ie the default)
> * For advanced users, it makes editing pages using the wiki editor much
> nicer
> * It’s already a recommended extension on e.x.o and I’m willing to
> continue supporting it (and I’m sure Edy is interested in doing that too -
> Right Edy?)
>
> See <a href="http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%">http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%
> 20Highlighting%20Application for more details.
>
> TBH I don’t really understand why we haven’t bundled this a long time ago.
>
> Does anyone see any issue in bundling it?

Re: [Proposal] Bundle Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1, as a not mandatory extension so people who don't like it can remove it.
But it should be a great enhancement.

> Big +1.
>
> There might be some nooks and cracks, but we can sort them out with all the
> visibility and testing it would get by being in the Standard Flavor.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’d like to propose that we bundle the Syntax Highlighting Extension in
> > the Standard flavor, starting with XWiki 9.7RC1.
> >
> > Rationale:
> > * No impact for simple users (ie the default)
> > * For advanced users, it makes editing pages using the wiki editor much
> > nicer
> > * It’s already a recommended extension on e.x.o and I’m willing to
> > continue supporting it (and I’m sure Edy is interested in doing that too
> -
> > Right Edy?)
> >
> > See <a href="http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%">http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%
> > 20Highlighting%20Application for more details.
> >
> > TBH I don’t really understand why we haven’t bundled this a long time
> ago.
> >
> > Does anyone see any issue in bundling it?

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Bundle Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, as a not mandatory extension so people who don't like it can remove it.
> But it should be a great enhancement.

> > Big +1.
> >
> > There might be some nooks and cracks, but we can sort them out with all
> the
> > visibility and testing it would get by being in the Standard Flavor.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > I’d like to propose that we bundle the Syntax Highlighting Extension in
> > > the Standard flavor, starting with XWiki 9.7RC1.
> > >
> > > Rationale:
> > > * No impact for simple users (ie the default)
> > > * For advanced users, it makes editing pages using the wiki editor much
> > > nicer
> > > * It’s already a recommended extension on e.x.o and I’m willing to
> > > continue supporting it (and I’m sure Edy is interested in doing that
> too
> > -
> > > Right Edy?)
> > >
> > > See <a href="http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%">http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Syntax%
> > > 20Highlighting%20Application for more details.
> > >
> > > TBH I don’t really understand why we haven’t bundled this a long time
> > ago.
> > >
> > > Does anyone see any issue in bundling it?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent
> >

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Bundle Syntax Highlighting Extension in the Standard flavor

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve created https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14546

-Vincent