[Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

[Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

Mohamed Boussaa
Hello XWikiers,
Starting from the version 9.4 of the Blog application we introduced the
notion of blog post layouts (see details here: http://extensions.xwiki.org/
xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Blog%20Application).

Currently when a user creates/edit a blog he has the possibility to select
the layout of the blog posts, 2 layouts are available FTM: the Calendar
layout (default) and the image layout.

The image layout uses an image thumbnail in order to allow a more visual
and appealing display of the blog posts this is why an image selector was
added to the blog post form.

Because the default layout is 'Calendar' the image selector on the blog
post form can be confusing for the user because the uploaded image doesn't
appear anywhere.

This proposal is about changing the default blog posts layout from
'Calendar' to 'image' in order to avoid the confusion.

I propose to:

   - Change the default post layout to 'image' layout for new blogs
   - Change the layout of the default Blog to 'image' layout
   - Add an image to the introduction blog post created when installing the
   blog app. Find attached some examples of images that can be used on the
   introduction post.
   - On the blog post form add a short description to the image selector to
   explain the objective of the image.

*Introduction blog post images*

*1) *

*2)*

*3) *

*4)*

*​*

Mohamed

default-image2.png (2K) Download Attachment
default-image1.png (500 bytes) Download Attachment
default-image4.png (3K) Download Attachment
default-image3.jpg (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
In terms of the default image to use when the image layout is selected I
like version 1.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mohamed Boussaa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello XWikiers,
> Starting from the version 9.4 of the Blog application we introduced the
> notion of blog post layouts (see details here:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Blog%20Application).
>
> Currently when a user creates/edit a blog he has the possibility to select
> the layout of the blog posts, 2 layouts are available FTM: the Calendar
> layout (default) and the image layout.
>
> The image layout uses an image thumbnail in order to allow a more visual
> and appealing display of the blog posts this is why an image selector was
> added to the blog post form.
>
> Because the default layout is 'Calendar' the image selector on the blog
> post form can be confusing for the user because the uploaded image doesn't
> appear anywhere.
>
> This proposal is about changing the default blog posts layout from
> 'Calendar' to 'image' in order to avoid the confusion.
>
> I propose to:
>

>    - Change the default post layout to 'image' layout for new blogs

What is the rationale for this?
I wouldn't want users to feel obligated to add images for all their blog
posts. There is a certain type of blogs that need images, while others are
not.
I feel like that the blog layout will get spammed by the default image
everywhere.

>    - Change the layout of the default Blog to 'image' layout
>    - Add an image to the introduction blog post created when installing the
>    blog app. Find attached some examples of images that can be used on the
>    introduction post.

   - On the blog post form add a short description to the image selector to
>    explain the objective of the image.
>

> *Introduction blog post images*
>
> *1) *
>

> *2)*
>

> *3) *
>

> *4)*
>

> *​*

> Mohamed

Re: [Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

Denis Gervalle-2
Hi Mohamed,
Obviously, I am +1 for the new default, since it is also my proposal. Regarding the image for the introductory blog post, I would use a more photo like an image, to be more demonstrative, illustrating blogging, writing, office or whatever, maybe with an X in it somewhere. Be careful about the copyrights of the image, of course.
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

Mohamed

wrote:

> Hello XWikiers,
> Starting from the version 9.4 of the Blog application we introduced the
> notion of blog post layouts (see details here:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Blog%20Application).
>
> Currently when a user creates/edit a blog he has the possibility to select
> the layout of the blog posts, 2 layouts are available FTM: the Calendar
> layout (default) and the image layout.
>
> The image layout uses an image thumbnail in order to allow a more visual
> and appealing display of the blog posts this is why an image selector was
> added to the blog post form.
>
> Because the default layout is 'Calendar' the image selector on the blog
> post form can be confusing for the user because the uploaded image doesn't
> appear anywhere.
>
> This proposal is about changing the default blog posts layout from
> 'Calendar' to 'image' in order to avoid the confusion.
>
> I propose to:
>

> - Change the default post layout to 'image' layout for new blogs

What is the rationale for this?
The image layout looks greater and more appealing as Mohamed mentioned, and for discoverability, it is therefore better to put it as a default, if you intend to promote it.
I wouldn't want users to feel obligated to add images for all their blog
posts. There is a certain type of blogs that need images, while others are
not. I feel like that the blog layout will get spammed by the default image
everywhere.
This will not happen since the image we are talking about is just the one for the introductory post, not the image displayed when no image is provided. When no image is provided, the fallback is displaying the calendar. The only difference is that you have one calendar by post, in place of one by date, and that the room is made for the image. Do you feel that this would be an annoyance ? The blog can also be changed to use the calendar mode if needed. I agree that a clean UI for that would be helpful.
--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

> - Change the layout of the default Blog to 'image' layout
> - Add an image to the introduction blog post created when installing the
> blog app. Find attached some examples of images that can be used on the
> introduction post.

- On the blog post form add a short description to the image selector to
> explain the objective of the image.
>

> *Introduction blog post images*
>
> *1) *
>

> *2)*
>

> *3) *
>

> *4)*
>

> *​*

> Mohamed

Re: [Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

Hi Mohamed,

> On 23 Jul 2017, at 14:55, Mohamed Boussaa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello XWikiers,
> Starting from the version 9.4 of the Blog application we introduced the
> notion of blog post layouts (see details here: http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Blog%20Application).
>
> Currently when a user creates/edit a blog he has the possibility to select
> the layout of the blog posts, 2 layouts are available FTM: the Calendar
> layout (default) and the image layout.
>
> The image layout uses an image thumbnail in order to allow a more visual
> and appealing display of the blog posts this is why an image selector was
> added to the blog post form.
>
> Because the default layout is 'Calendar' the image selector on the blog
> post form can be confusing for the user because the uploaded image doesn't
> appear anywhere.
>
> This proposal is about changing the default blog posts layout from
> 'Calendar' to 'image' in order to avoid the confusion.
>
> I propose to:
>

>   - Change the default post layout to 'image' layout for new blogs
>   - Change the layout of the default Blog to 'image' layout
>   - Add an image to the introduction blog post created when installing the
>   blog app. Find attached some examples of images that can be used on the
>   introduction post.
>   - On the blog post form add a short description to the image selector to
>   explain the objective of the image.

This looks fine with me (as it should since we discussed it IRL ;)).

> *Introduction blog post images*
>
> *1) *
>

> *2)*
>

> *3) *
>

> *4)*
>

> *​*

> Mohamed
> <default-image2.png><default-image3.jpg><default-image1.png><default-image4.png>

Re: [Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

Catalin Scripcariu
Hi all,
I have two proposals for the introduction blog post image. Please reply
what version do you like.
V1
https://up1.xwikisas.com/#Ugw5DbhAz5Kdwlxk6lmcHA
V2
https://up1.xwikisas.com/#J5YM_0l8yTTkiRk7j3Yvyw

Regards,
Catalin

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:13 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mohamed,
>
> > On 23 Jul 2017, at 14:55, Mohamed Boussaa <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello XWikiers,
> > Starting from the version 9.4 of the Blog application we introduced the
> > notion of blog post layouts (see details here:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> > xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Blog%20Application).
> >
> > Currently when a user creates/edit a blog he has the possibility to
> select
> > the layout of the blog posts, 2 layouts are available FTM: the Calendar
> > layout (default) and the image layout.
> >
> > The image layout uses an image thumbnail in order to allow a more visual
> > and appealing display of the blog posts this is why an image selector was
> > added to the blog post form.
> >
> > Because the default layout is 'Calendar' the image selector on the blog
> > post form can be confusing for the user because the uploaded image
> doesn't
> > appear anywhere.
> >
> > This proposal is about changing the default blog posts layout from
> > 'Calendar' to 'image' in order to avoid the confusion.
> >
> > I propose to:
> >

> >   - Change the default post layout to 'image' layout for new blogs
> >   - Change the layout of the default Blog to 'image' layout
> >   - Add an image to the introduction blog post created when installing
> the
> >   blog app. Find attached some examples of images that can be used on the
> >   introduction post.
> >   - On the blog post form add a short description to the image selector
> >   explain the objective of the image.
>
> This looks fine with me (as it should since we discussed it IRL ;)).

> > *Introduction blog post images*
> >
> > *1) *
> >

> > *2)*
> >

> > *3) *
> >

> > *4)*
> >

> > *​*
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mohamed
> >
> <default-image2.png><default-image3.jpg><default-image1.png><default-image4.png>

Re: [Proposal] Change the default blog post layout to 'image' layout

Marius, Diana, Kevin and me prefer V2 :) (just did a quick IRL poll!)