[Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

[Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jean-Vincent Drean
Hi XWikiers,

The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
contrib projects.
Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
under our banner.

The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
contrib releases. Strategy:

- Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
- When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
- When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
[hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
review/publish them.

We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:

-------------------------8<-----------------------------
  <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
  <artifactId>root</artifactId>
  <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
  <issueManagement>
    <system>jira</system>
    <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
  </issueManagement>
  <scm>
    <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
    <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
    <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
  </scm>
  <distributionManagement>
    <repository>
      <id>xwiki-staging</id>
      <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
      <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
    </repository>
  </distributionManagement>
------------------------->8-----------------------------

Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).

WDYT ?

Thanks,
JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 15:17, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi XWikiers,
>
> The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
> the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
> contrib projects.
> Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
> deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
> under our banner.
>
> The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
> contrib releases. Strategy:
>
> - Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
> - When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
> for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
> credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
> maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
> - When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
> the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
> [hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
> review/publish them.

That's not really just a notification then, there is too much things
in [hidden email], it should probably be a specialized
mailing list.

> We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
> pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:
>
> -------------------------8<-----------------------------
>  <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
>  <artifactId>root</artifactId>

Not sure about the name. "contrib" or "xwiki-contrib" would be better i think.

>  <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
>  <packaging>pom</packaging>
>  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>  <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
>  <issueManagement>
>    <system>jira</system>
>    <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
>  </issueManagement>
>  <scm>
>    <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
>    <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
>    <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
>  </scm>
>  <distributionManagement>
>    <repository>
>      <id>xwiki-staging</id>
>      <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
>      <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
>    </repository>
>  </distributionManagement>
> ------------------------->8-----------------------------
>
> Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
> distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
> as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
> build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).

What we would really need in the kind of multi parent (don't remember
the real name) maven 3 has.

> WDYT ?
>
> Thanks,
> JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 15:17, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi XWikiers,
>>
>> The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
>> the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
>> contrib projects.
>> Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
>> deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
>> under our banner.
>>
>> The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
>> contrib releases. Strategy:
>>
>> - Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
>> - When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
>> for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
>> credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
>> maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
>> - When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
>> the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
>> [hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
>> review/publish them.
>
> That's not really just a notification then, there is too much things
> in [hidden email], it should probably be a specialized
> mailing list.

WDYT about [hidden email] ?

>> We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
>> pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:
>>
>> -------------------------8<-----------------------------
>>  <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
>>  <artifactId>root</artifactId>
>
> Not sure about the name. "contrib" or "xwiki-contrib" would be better i think.

Not sure either, I thought about xwiki-contrib too but found weird to
duplicate the groupId in the artifactId.
Anyway I don't have a strong opinion about this, proposals anyone ?

>>  <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
>>  <packaging>pom</packaging>
>>  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>  <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
>>  <issueManagement>
>>    <system>jira</system>
>>    <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
>>  </issueManagement>
>>  <scm>
>>    <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
>>    <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
>>    <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
>>  </scm>
>>  <distributionManagement>
>>    <repository>
>>      <id>xwiki-staging</id>
>>      <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
>>      <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
>>    </repository>
>>  </distributionManagement>
>> ------------------------->8-----------------------------
>>
>> Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
>> distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
>> as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
>> build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).
>
> What we would really need in the kind of multi parent (don't remember
> the real name) maven 3 has.

Yes that's exactly what we need, I didn't know that maven 3 had this
feature, nice! We could wait for it before introducing this project.

Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> Hi XWikiers,
>
> The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
> the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
> contrib projects.
> Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
> deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
> under our banner.
>
> The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
> contrib releases. Strategy:
>
> - Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
> - When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
> for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
> credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
> maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
> - When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
> the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
> [hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
> review/publish them.

Sounds good to me. +1

> We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
> pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:
>
> -------------------------8<-----------------------------
>   <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
>   <artifactId>root</artifactId>
>   <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
>   <packaging>pom</packaging>
>   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>   <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
>   <issueManagement>
>     <system>jira</system>
>     <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
>   </issueManagement>
>   <scm>
>     <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
>     <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
>     <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
>   </scm>
>   <distributionManagement>
>     <repository>
>       <id>xwiki-staging</id>
>       <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
>       <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
>     </repository>
>   </distributionManagement>
> ------------------------->8-----------------------------
>
> Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
> distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
> as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
> build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Thanks,
> JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jean-Vincent Drean

I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
with a simpler proposal.
Contrib releases would be published in
http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
nexus staging repo.

About contrib snapshots they'd use the same configuration as official
xwiki.org projects, contributors would ask on the list for their
project to be added on http://hudson.xwiki.org.

Here's my +1

Thanks,
JV.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi XWikiers,
>
> The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
> the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
> contrib projects.
> Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
> deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
> under our banner.
>
> The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
> contrib releases. Strategy:
>
> - Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
> - When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
> for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
> credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
> maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
> - When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
> the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
> [hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
> review/publish them.
>
> We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
> pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:
>
> -------------------------8<-----------------------------
>  <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
>  <artifactId>root</artifactId>
>  <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
>  <packaging>pom</packaging>
>  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>  <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
>  <issueManagement>
>    <system>jira</system>
>    <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
>  </issueManagement>
>  <scm>
>    <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
>    <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
>    <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
>  </scm>
>  <distributionManagement>
>    <repository>
>      <id>xwiki-staging</id>
>      <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
>      <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
>    </repository>
>  </distributionManagement>
> ------------------------->8-----------------------------
>
> Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
> distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
> as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
> build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Thanks,
> JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

On 3/16/2010 4:16 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
> with a simpler proposal.
> Contrib releases would be published in
> http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
> difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
> distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
> nexus staging repo.
>
> About contrib snapshots they'd use the same configuration as official
> xwiki.org projects, contributors would ask on the list for their
> project to be added on http://hudson.xwiki.org.

I know a guy who's been asking for a top level project to get on hudson.
It's been more then one year and still no progress ;)

> Here's my +1
>
> Thanks,
> JV.
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi XWikiers,
>>
>> The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
>> the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
>> contrib projects.
>> Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
>> deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
>> under our banner.
>>
>> The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
>> contrib releases. Strategy:
>>
>> - Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
>> - When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
>> for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
>> credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
>> maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
>> - When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
>> the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
>> [hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
>> review/publish them.
>>
>> We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
>> pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:
>>
>> -------------------------8<-----------------------------
>>   <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
>>   <artifactId>root</artifactId>
>>   <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
>>   <packaging>pom</packaging>
>>   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>   <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
>>   <issueManagement>
>>     <system>jira</system>
>>     <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
>>   </issueManagement>
>>   <scm>
>>     <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
>>     <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
>>     <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
>>   </scm>
>>   <distributionManagement>
>>     <repository>
>>       <id>xwiki-staging</id>
>>       <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
>>       <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
>>     </repository>
>>   </distributionManagement>
>> ------------------------->8-----------------------------
>>
>> Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
>> distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
>> as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
>> build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jerome Velociter

> I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
> with a simpler proposal.
> Contrib releases would be published in
> http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
> difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
> distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
> nexus staging repo.
>
> About contrib snapshots they'd use the same configuration as official
> xwiki.org projects, contributors would ask on the list for their
> project to be added on http://hudson.xwiki.org.
>
> Here's my +1

+1 for the strategy.

Jerome.

On 3/16/2010 4:24 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 3/16/2010 4:16 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
>> with a simpler proposal.
>> Contrib releases would be published in
>> http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
>> difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
>> distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
>> nexus staging repo.
>>
>> About contrib snapshots they'd use the same configuration as official
>> xwiki.org projects, contributors would ask on the list for their
>> project to be added on http://hudson.xwiki.org.
>>

> I know a guy who's been asking for a top level project to get on hudson.
> It's been more then one year and still no progress ;)
>
>> Here's my +1

+1

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

>> Thanks,
>> JV.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>

>>> Hi XWikiers,
>>>
>>> The goal of this proposal is to be able to deploy contrib projects on
>>> the xwiki maven repository, allowing distributions to depend on
>>> contrib projects.
>>> Contrib projects deployment must be different from the other xwiki.org
>>> deployments since want to review the artifacts contributors publish
>>> under our banner.
>>>
>>> The proposal is to use the nexus staging deployment feature to perform
>>> contrib releases. Strategy:
>>>
>>> - Create the http://maven.xwiki.org/contrib/ repository
>>> - When a contributor first want to release his project, create a user
>>> for him allowed to push artifacts in staging on nexus.xwiki.org. This
>>> credentials are meant to be put in ~/.m2/settings.xml to be used by
>>> maven for authentication on nexus.xwiki.org.
>>> - When a contributor performs a release the artifacts are pushed on
>>> the nexus staging repository, an email is sent on
>>> [hidden email] to notify nexus admins that they must
>>> review/publish them.
>>>
>>> We could create a new http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/
>>> pom project to ease maintainers work, here's a draft:
>>>
>>> -------------------------8<-----------------------------
>>>    <groupId>org.xwiki.contrib</groupId>
>>>    <artifactId>root</artifactId>
>>>    <name>XWiki Contrib - Root POM</name>
>>>    <packaging>pom</packaging>
>>>    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>>    <url>http://contrib.xwiki.org</url>
>>>    <issueManagement>
>>>      <system>jira</system>
>>>      <url>http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XCONTRIB</url>
>>>    </issueManagement>
>>>    <scm>
>>>      <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</connection>
>>>      <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</developerConnection>
>>>      <url>http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/pom/trunk</url>
>>>    </scm>
>>>    <distributionManagement>
>>>      <repository>
>>>        <id>xwiki-staging</id>
>>>        <name>XWiki Staging Repository</name>
>>>        <url>http://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2/</url>
>>>      </repository>
>>>    </distributionManagement>
>>> ------------------------->8-----------------------------
>>>
>>> Note: I'm still not sure about this, I think duplicating
>>> distributionManagement in an application and have xwiki-applications
>>> as parent might be more convenient than the contrary (duplicating
>>> build extensions and stuff + have org.xwiki.contrib.root as parent).
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Caleb James DeLisle
+1
I had been thinking about contributed projects (eg: applications) which bring
tests and will improve the test coverage of the script api.

Caleb

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:16, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
> with a simpler proposal.
> Contrib releases would be published in
> http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
> difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
> distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
> nexus staging repo.

So that mean that a contributed project does not have right to have
anything else than org.xwiki.contrib.* as maven grouId. Looks like a
bit restrictive to me but why not. Lets say +0.

Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JV.

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jerome Velociter
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:16, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
>> with a simpler proposal.
>> Contrib releases would be published in
>> http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
>> difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
>> distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
>> nexus staging repo.
>
> So that mean that a contributed project does not have right to have
> anything else than org.xwiki.contrib.* as maven grouId. Looks like a
> bit restrictive to me but why not. Lets say +0.

That is if the projects wants to benefit from xwiki.org build and release
infrastructure. One can always have a different groupId and get the CI and
distribution part from its own infrastructure. I think that's fair, no ?

Jerome.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 16:43, Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:16, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've discussed about it a bit more with Jerome and I'd like to come
>>> with a simpler proposal.
>>> Contrib releases would be published in
>>> http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/, the only
>>> difference with official xwiki.org releases is that the
>>> distributionManagement configuration in contrib project would point to
>>> nexus staging repo.
>>
>> So that mean that a contributed project does not have right to have
>> anything else than org.xwiki.contrib.* as maven grouId. Looks like a
>> bit restrictive to me but why not. Lets say +0.
>
> That is if the projects wants to benefit from xwiki.org build and release
> infrastructure. One can always have a different groupId and get the CI and
> distribution part from its own infrastructure. I think that's fair, no ?

I'm fine with letting user have the groupId they want (they would
certainly use the default one anyway). I just wanted  to make it clear
because it's not just an infrastructure choice it becomes part of the
contribution project rules.

> Jerome.
>

>>> About contrib snapshots they'd use the same configuration as official
>>> xwiki.org projects, contributors would ask on the list for their
>>> project to be added on http://hudson.xwiki.org.
>>
>> +1
>>

>>> Here's my +1
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> JV.

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
Not from my PoV, it's part of the contract for contributors who wish
to publish their releases/snapshots on the xwiki.org maven repo only.

JV.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> So that mean that a contributed project does not have right to have
>>> anything else than org.xwiki.contrib.* as maven grouId. Looks like a
>>> bit restrictive to me but why not. Lets say +0.
>>
>> That is if the projects wants to benefit from xwiki.org build and release
>> infrastructure. One can always have a different groupId and get the CI and
>> distribution part from its own infrastructure. I think that's fair, no ?
>
> I'm fine with letting user have the groupId they want (they would
> certainly use the default one anyway). I just wanted  to make it clear
> because it's not just an infrastructure choice it becomes part of the
> contribution project rules.
>

>> Jerome.

>>> +1

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 17:00, Jean-Vincent Drean
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not from my PoV, it's part of the contract for contributors who wish
> to publish their releases/snapshots on the xwiki.org maven repo only.

Ok but again i did not voted -1 or even -0, it's just not clear in
your proposal that's a new rule you just presented it as a technical
detail of "a simpler proposal".

> JV.
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> That is if the projects wants to benefit from xwiki.org build and release
>>> infrastructure. One can always have a different groupId and get the CI and
>>> distribution part from its own infrastructure. I think that's fair, no ?
>>
>> I'm fine with letting user have the groupId they want (they would
>> certainly use the default one anyway). I just wanted  to make it clear
>> because it's not just an infrastructure choice it becomes part of the
>> contribution project rules.
>>

>>> Jerome.

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Contrib projects release strategy

Jean-Vincent Drean

I've summarized the procedures there:
http://contrib.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/#HRequestingsnapshostbuildsforyourproject

Let me know if some things remain unclear.

There's a live example with xwiki-plugin-excel
* http://hudson.xwiki.org/job/xwiki-plugin-excel/
* http://maven.xwiki.org/snapshots/org/xwiki/contrib/xwiki-plugin-excel/
* http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/contrib/xwiki-plugin-excel/

Thanks,