[Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

12

[Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

We have a lot of entries on extensions.xwiki.org (869 as of today) and this causes some problems for our users:

P1) A lot of them are not of good quality (they don’t work with the latest versions, they are complex to use, they’ve not been updated for a long time and are doing old and deprecated ways of doing things such as not providing an entry in the Applications Panel for example, they’re not just polished, etc) and this causes frustrations for our users. Note that this also reflects on the overall quality of the XWiki project and product.

P2) It’s hard for users to locate good extensions among the rest.

We’ve started addressing P1) by introducing ratings on e.x.o. This is not fully successful so far because we don’t have enough people voting and because those ratings are not used to display/filter extensions on the Extensions LT or inside XWiki in the EM UI. So we need to continue this effort.

Note that this proposal is not addressing non-extensions such as snippets which we’ll need to move elsewhere at some point but that becomes less important with the proposal below.

Proposal
=======

I’d like to propose an additional strategy that, IMO, is better suited for the size of our community: curation. Curation is the process of hand-selecting the best extensions and marking them as recommended. The idea would be to list recommended extensions first on the e.x.o home page, in the EM UI in XWiki and even in extension search results. In the EM UI, an idea would also be to have a new “Recommended Extensions” filter in addition to the existing filters (core extensions, installed extensions, etc) and that would be the default filter on the “Add Extensions” UI.

I propose to add a “Recommended” xproperty in the Repository app for that. We can decide whether we want this just for e.x.o or committed in the Repository app in xwiki-platform.

Then we need to decide about the curation process:

* The XWiki core committers are in charge (i.e. have the responsibility) of monitoring the apps that are marked “Recommended”, ie. validating that it’s done correctly. XWiki core committers have the authorization to unset an app that was marked a recommended by a community member.
* We wouldn’t offer a simple way in the UI to mark an extension as recommended since we don’t want everyone who has an account on xwiki.org to start marking apps as recommended. OTOH we want to allow people from the xwiki community to help out. So the way to mark an extension as recommended would be to use the object editor (for now, we can define a better implementation mechanism later on).
* We define some basic rules that extensions need to follow at minimum to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to avoid conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in which case it’s resolved through a vote):
- Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be 7.4.x and 8.1)
- Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
- Need to follow most of the best practices defined on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.

WDYT?

I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

+1 for the curation in general but I'm not a big fan of your proposal
of displaying only recommended extensions by default in EM (90% of the
users won't change the filter and will find very few extensions). We
could make recommended extensions listed first when you have empty
search input instead and highlight them some way in the extension
displayer (like some validation icon, a different color, etc.).

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be 7.4.x and 8.1)
> - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
> - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
>
> WDYT?
>
> I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> [...]

> to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to avoid
> conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in which case
> it’s resolved through a vote):
> > - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be
> 7.4.x and 8.1)
> > - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
> > - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices.
> Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is
> registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is
> internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

Eduard Moraru
+1 for curation as I agree it fits better our size, but on the long run the
ratings need to improve so that, at some point, it can take over most of
the curation effort.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> case
> > it’s resolved through a vote):
> > > - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be
> > 7.4.x and 8.1)
> > > - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
> > > - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on
> >
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices
> .
> > Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is
> > registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is
> > internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 for the idea, and +1 for the Thomas' remarks.

> [...]
> > the
> > > xwiki community to help out. So the way to mark an extension as
> > recommended
> > > would be to use the object editor (for now, we can define a better
> > > implementation mechanism later on).
> minimum
> > > to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to avoid
> > > conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in which
> > case
> > > it’s resolved through a vote):
> > > 7.4.x and 8.1)
> > >

> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices
> > .
> > > Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is
> > > registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is
> > > internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> +1 for the curation in general but I'm not a big fan of your proposal
> of displaying only recommended extensions by default in EM (90% of the
> users won't change the filter and will find very few extensions). We
> could make recommended extensions listed first when you have empty
> search input instead and highlight them some way in the extension
> displayer (like some validation icon, a different color, etc.).

A "Recommended Extensions" filter (to show *only* recommended extensions)
makes sense, but as Thomas said, I wouldn't select it by default (at least
for now, as we won't have that many recommended extensions at the
beginning). I would display all extensions by default, making sure that
recommended extensions are given priority by the search (boost factor).

+1 for curation otherwise.

> [...]
> to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to avoid
> conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in which case
> it’s resolved through a vote):
> > - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be
> 7.4.x and 8.1)
> > - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
> > - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices.
> Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is
> registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is
> internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

I’m starting the work on this. BTW several of you have replied about EM but this mail was only for “e.x.o”  FTM (see the subject).

The idea is to implement something similar to what Caty proposed at
http://markmail.org/message/cr5edm27qcag6n3q

I’m starting the work.

> [...]
> - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be 7.4.x and 8.1)
> - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
> - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
>
> WDYT?
>
> I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

ok I’ve started.

3 things:

* I’ve started defining what we mean by a recommended app, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
* I’ve processed the first 2 pages of the LT on the home page of e.x.o. (ie the first 60 extensions) and I’ve marked 11 as recommended so far: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
* I’m hesitating for the following extensions. Specifically I need to know what their authors think and whether they’re ok to support them actively. I also don’t know them enough to know of their quality. Feel free to comment on them.

- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Recent+Blog+Entries+Macros/ ?
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/SunkenFlamingoTheme/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/RtForm/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Realtime+Netflux+Frontend/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Realtime+Netflux+Backend/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XQuiz/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Condition+Macro/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Suggest+LiveTable+Filter+Macro/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Let%27s+Encrypt+support/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Derzelas+Script+Runner/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XCarousel/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Wiki+Analyzer+Application/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Event+Listeners+Administration/
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter+Script+API Note: we will expose the filter app, should we also expose the API?
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/ZoneEdit+Macro
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/SVG+Rasterizing+API
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Trusted+Headers+Authentication+Adapter
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Trusted+authentication+framework
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Mail+address+encryptor
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWikiTube
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XFF+Maven+Plugin Note: wrong author!!!
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Rights+UI+Simplifier

The result is here:

> [...]
>> - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be 7.4.x and 8.1)
>> - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
>> - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

Caleb James DeLisle-3

On 18/08/16 21:00, Vincent Massol wrote:

> ok I’ve started.
>
> 3 things:
>
> * I’ve started defining what we mean by a recommended app, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
> * I’ve processed the first 2 pages of the LT on the home page of e.x.o. (ie the first 60 extensions) and I’ve marked 11 as recommended so far: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
> * I’m hesitating for the following extensions. Specifically I need to know what their authors think and whether they’re ok to support them actively. I also don’t know them enough to know of their quality. Feel free to comment on them.
>
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Recent+Blog+Entries+Macros/ ?
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/SunkenFlamingoTheme/

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/RtForm/

experimental

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Realtime+Netflux+Frontend/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Realtime+Netflux+Backend/

middleware, not something people should see

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWikiTube

experimental

Thanks,
Caleb

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok I’ve started.
>
> 3 things:
>
> * I’ve started defining what we mean by a recommended app, see
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/
> RecommendedExtensions/
> * I’ve processed the first 2 pages of the LT on the home page of e.x.o.
> (ie the first 60 extensions) and I’ve marked 11 as recommended so far:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/
> RecommendedExtensions/
> * I’m hesitating for the following extensions. Specifically I need to know
> what their authors think and whether they’re ok to support them actively. I
> also don’t know them enough to know of their quality. Feel free to comment
> on them.
>
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> Recent+Blog+Entries+Macros/ ?

- needs cleaning

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> SunkenFlamingoTheme/

- I wouldn't recommend themes, if we like it we could replace the default
(also in the future we should reduce the number of bundled themes)

> [...]
> conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in which case
> it’s resolved through a vote):
> >> - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be
> 7.4.x and 8.1)
> >> - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
> >> - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/
> ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical
> pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes
> sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in
> xwiki syntax 2.0+.
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >> I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

Hi Caty,

> On 19 Aug 2016, at 09:08, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ok I’ve started.
>>
>> 3 things:
>>
>> * I’ve started defining what we mean by a recommended app, see
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/
>> RecommendedExtensions/
>> * I’ve processed the first 2 pages of the LT on the home page of e.x.o.
>> (ie the first 60 extensions) and I’ve marked 11 as recommended so far:
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/
>> RecommendedExtensions/
>> * I’m hesitating for the following extensions. Specifically I need to know
>> what their authors think and whether they’re ok to support them actively. I
>> also don’t know them enough to know of their quality. Feel free to comment
>> on them.
>>
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
>> Recent+Blog+Entries+Macros/ ?
>>

> - needs cleaning
>

>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
>> SunkenFlamingoTheme/
>

> - I wouldn't recommend themes,

Why not? I have the opposite feeling: we should develop a lot more themes and make them available and visible. A downside of XWiki has always been the poorness of skins/themes compared to other softwares such as wordpress. Skins are hard to develop but that’s not the case for themes.

> if we like it we could replace the default
> (also in the future we should reduce the number of bundled themes)

I’m not sure about this one either. Letting the user find them and install them is hard and requires knowledge. I’d prefer that we keep bundling a pack of themes in the Default/KB/XE flavor.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok I’ve started.
>
> 3 things:
>
> * I’ve started defining what we mean by a recommended app, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
> * I’ve processed the first 2 pages of the LT on the home page of e.x.o. (ie the first 60 extensions) and I’ve marked 11 as recommended so far: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
> * I’m hesitating for the following extensions. Specifically I need to know what their authors think and whether they’re ok to support them actively. I also don’t know them enough to know of their quality. Feel free to comment on them.
>
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Recent+Blog+Entries+Macros/ ?
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/SunkenFlamingoTheme/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/RtForm/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Realtime+Netflux+Frontend/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Realtime+Netflux+Backend/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XQuiz/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Condition+Macro/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Suggest+LiveTable+Filter+Macro/

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Let%27s+Encrypt+support/

This one will probably end up in XE in not too long anyway.

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Derzelas+Script+Runner/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XCarousel/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Wiki+Analyzer+Application/
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Event+Listeners+Administration/

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter+Script+API Note: we will expose the filter app, should we also expose the API?

No need to recommend this one for final users IMO, it's only supposed
to be used as a dependency since it's mostly a script service.

> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/ZoneEdit+Macro
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/SVG+Rasterizing+API
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Trusted+Headers+Authentication+Adapter
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Trusted+authentication+framework
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Mail+address+encryptor
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWikiTube
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XFF+Maven+Plugin Note: wrong author!!!
> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Rights+UI+Simplifier

You should also recommend
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWiki+Authenticator+Trusted+LDAP
(until I find time to merge it with
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Authenticator/).

> [...]

>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Suggest+LiveTable+Filter+Macro/
>
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Let%27s+Encrypt+support/
>
> This one will probably end up in XE in not too long anyway.
>
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Derzelas+Script+Runner/
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XCarousel/
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Wiki+Analyzer+Application/
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Event+Listeners+Administration/
>
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter+Script+API Note: we will expose the filter app, should we also expose the API?
>
> No need to recommend this one for final users IMO, it's only supposed
> to be used as a dependency since it's mostly a script service.

So we need to set up a rule on this:

A) Do we want Recommended extensions to be only for users and not for devs?

For example: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JIRA+Module (it’s not used as any dependency of any other module)

My opinion: it’s ok not to list them we should only recommended end user extensions (i.e. for users & for admins but not for devs).

B) When we have extensions that are installed as dependencies of other recommended extensions should we not list them?

For example, I’ve recommended http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JIRA+Administration/ but it’s a dependency of http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JIRA+Macro

My opinion: it’s ok not to list extensions that are dependencies of recommended extensions, *unless* there are use cases for using them directly.

WDTR?

> [...]

> So we need to set up a rule on this:
>
> A) Do we want Recommended extensions to be only for users and not for devs?
>
> For example: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JIRA+Module (it’s not used as any dependency of any other module)
>
> My opinion: it’s ok not to list them we should only recommended end user extensions (i.e. for users & for admins but not for devs).
>
> B) When we have extensions that are installed as dependencies of other recommended extensions should we not list them?
>
> For example, I’ve recommended http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JIRA+Administration/ but it’s a dependency of http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JIRA+Macro
>
> My opinion: it’s ok not to list extensions that are dependencies of recommended extensions, *unless* there are use cases for using them directly.

s/WDTR/WDYT/ :)

I’ve updated http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/ FTM, I’ll change if we don’t agree about the proposal on points A and B.

>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/ZoneEdit+Macro
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/SVG+Rasterizing+API
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Trusted+Headers+Authentication+Adapter
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Trusted+authentication+framework
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Mail+address+encryptor
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWikiTube
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XFF+Maven+Plugin Note: wrong author!!!
>>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Rights+UI+Simplifier
>>>

>> You should also recommend
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWiki+Authenticator+Trusted+LDAP
>> (until I find time to merge it with
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Authenticator/).
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>>
>>> The result is here:

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

I’ve started a wiki page to track which extensions we’re not sure about (whether they should be recommended or not):
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/RecommendedExtensionsSelection

Please edit it if you have opinion/knowledge about them (or reply on this thread and I’ll do the syncing).

Note that for an app to be recommended it must follow the rules defined on
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/RecommendedExtensionsSelection#HWhatisaRecommendedExtension

> [...]
>>> - Need to work on LTS + latest XWiki version (ie. ATM that would be 7.4.x and 8.1)
>>> - Need to present a polished aspect and be easily usable
>>> - Need to follow most of the best practices defined on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki syntax 2.0+.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> I’m willing to help do the work and mark extensions as recommended.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

Latest news:

* I’ve finished reviewing all extensions on e.x.o
* The list of extensions that I consider recommended (there are 26 as of now) is available at http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ExtensionCode/RecommendedExtensions/
* There are some extensions that I don’t know well enough to know if they could be recommended (not sure if they have active support, how well they work on latest XE, etc): http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/RecommendedExtensionsSelection

To @Extension creators: please review the list and let me know if you have some extensions that you’d like recommended (make sure to check the criteria defined at http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/RecommendedExtensionsSelection).

Next steps:
* Modify the extension sheet to visually see when an extension is recommended
* Modify the e.x.o home page to highlight Recommended Extension (see http://markmail.org/message/cr5edm27qcag6n3q )
* Modify EM to add the notion of Recommended
* Merge back the new Recommended field in the Repository Application

> [...]
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Mail+address+encryptor
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWikiTube
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XFF+Maven+Plugin Note: wrong author!!!
>> - http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Rights+UI+Simplifier

>> The result is here:
>>
>>> On 18 Aug 2016, at 19:36, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m starting the work on this. BTW several of you have replied about EM but this mail was only for “e.x.o”  FTM (see the subject).
>>>
>>> The idea is to implement something similar to what Caty proposed at
>>> http://markmail.org/message/cr5edm27qcag6n3q
>>>
>>> I’m starting the work.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

"Not a core Extension (i.e. not bundled by default in the base XWiki
Distribution)"

extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Templates+Application/ is
bundled
extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Tour+Application is bundled
extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/CKEditor+Integration is
bundled

I find
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Notes+Application to
be not very complex.

Missing:
- Blog (which is currently bundled)
-
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Flash+messages+application
- http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/TotemApplication was
also interesting
- what about Repository app?

Do we also provide a way for users to filter what apps are bundled (and
maybe implicitely supported/recommended)?
What about extensions that have "XWiki Development Team" as author? Are
they implicitly supported/recommended? Is there a way to filter and see
what they are?
What is the difference between supported and recommended? Is it documented
somewhere? Should the users care about this difference? (maybe the answers
are found above in the thread, but I don't remember any conclusion)

"Don't recommend extensions that are installed as dependencies of other
recommended extensions, unless there are end-user use cases for using them
directly."
This means we don't support the apps dependencies? And in this category we
have some macros: fullcalendar, pdfviewer, etc.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> to start marking apps as recommended. OTOH we want to allow people from the
> xwiki community to help out. So the way to mark an extension as recommended
> would be to use the object editor (for now, we can define a better
> implementation mechanism later on).
> minimum to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to
> avoid conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in
> which case it’s resolved through a vote):
> 7.4.x and 8.1)
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/
> ApplicationDevelopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical
> pages are hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes
> sense, extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in
> xwiki syntax 2.0+.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

How does an extensions looses it's "Recommended" status?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> to start marking apps as recommended. OTOH we want to allow people from the
>> xwiki community to help out. So the way to mark an extension as recommended
>> would be to use the object editor (for now, we can define a better
>> implementation mechanism later on).
>> minimum to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to
>> avoid conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in
>> which case it’s resolved through a vote):
>> 7.4.x and 8.1)
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDev
>> elopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are
>> hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense,
>> extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki
>> syntax 2.0+.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

One difference between Recommended and Supported could be that "it's
demonstrating an advanced use case build on top of XWiki and user's
installing it could see the power/benefits of XWiki". Unfortunately even
this "definition" is subjective.

So my big problem is that I don't really understand how to say if an
extension is recommended or not, and how this status is
evolving/deprecating a particular extension over time.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> to start marking apps as recommended. OTOH we want to allow people from the
>>> xwiki community to help out. So the way to mark an extension as recommended
>>> would be to use the object editor (for now, we can define a better
>>> implementation mechanism later on).
>>> minimum to be accepted as recommended. These will be our guidelines to
>>> avoid conflict of opinions (although there’s always the possibility in
>>> which case it’s resolved through a vote):
>>> 7.4.x and 8.1)
>>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ApplicationDev
>>> elopmentBestPractices. Some important examples: technical pages are
>>> hidden, extension is registered in the app bar when it makes sense,
>>> extension is internationalized (if it makes sense), pages are in xwiki
>>> syntax 2.0+.

Re: [Proposal] Curation process for extensions on e.x.o

should "ratings" or "active installs" be part of the Recommended definition?

12