[Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

12

[Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Simon Urli
Hi everyone,

I'll work this month on adding the "delete all" functionality in the
recycle bin.
However I'd like to have your opinion on how it should looks like for
the users.
I have at least 4 proposals that I detailed there:
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

The 4 proposal are numbered as following:

   A. A simple button
   B. A simple button with a checkbox to activate it
   C. A button and a modal to confirm the action
   D. A generic bulk action on the livetable

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

Simon
--
Simon Urli
Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Hi Simon,

> On 29 Oct 2018, at 14:59, Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'll work this month on adding the "delete all" functionality in the recycle bin.
> However I'd like to have your opinion on how it should looks like for the users.
> I have at least 4 proposals that I detailed there: https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin
>
> The 4 proposal are numbered as following:
>
>  A. A simple button
>  B. A simple button with a checkbox to activate it
>  C. A button and a modal to confirm the action

+1

>  D. A generic bulk action on the livetable

+1

Note that for D you may not need to implement bulk actions but just the ability to have some global action.

> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
>
> Simon
> --
> Simon Urli
> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

I would start with C. We can do D later.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:59 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'll work this month on adding the "delete all" functionality in the
> recycle bin.
> However I'd like to have your opinion on how it should looks like for
> the users.
> I have at least 4 proposals that I detailed there:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin
>
> The 4 proposal are numbered as following:
>
>    A. A simple button
>    B. A simple button with a checkbox to activate it
>    C. A button and a modal to confirm the action
>    D. A generic bulk action on the livetable
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
>
> Simon
> --
> Simon Urli
> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Adel Atallah
Hello Simon,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:59 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'll work this month on adding the "delete all" functionality in the
> recycle bin.
> However I'd like to have your opinion on how it should looks like for
> the users.
> I have at least 4 proposals that I detailed there:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin
>
> The 4 proposal are numbered as following:
>
>    A. A simple button
-1
>    B. A simple button with a checkbox to activate it
-0 as it feels a bit weird.
>    C. A button and a modal to confirm the action
+1
>    D. A generic bulk action on the livetable
+1, this is probably the best solution but also more complicated to do.

> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
>
> Simon
> --
> Simon Urli
> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Thanks,
Adel

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:06 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Simon,
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:59 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'll work this month on adding the "delete all" functionality in the
> > recycle bin.
> > However I'd like to have your opinion on how it should looks like for
> > the users.
> > I have at least 4 proposals that I detailed there:
> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin
> >
> > The 4 proposal are numbered as following:
> >
> >    A. A simple button
> -1
> >    B. A simple button with a checkbox to activate it
> -0 as it feels a bit weird.
> >    C. A button and a modal to confirm the action
> +1
> >    D. A generic bulk action on the livetable

+1 for D. but since it involves multiple documents, we will also need a
confirmation for these actions. So the solution would be a mix between D. +
C.
If we implement D. we will have the base for multiple other use cases,
since this needs is recurrent.

> +1, this is probably the best solution but also more complicated to do.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
> >
> > Simon
> > --
> > Simon Urli
> > Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > [hidden email]
> > More about us at http://www.xwiki.com
>
> Thanks,
> Adel

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Adel Atallah
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:09 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:06 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Simon,
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:59 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I'll work this month on adding the "delete all" functionality in the
> > > recycle bin.
> > > However I'd like to have your opinion on how it should looks like for
> > > the users.
> > > I have at least 4 proposals that I detailed there:
> > > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin
> > >
> > > The 4 proposal are numbered as following:
> > >
> > >    A. A simple button
> > -1
> > >    B. A simple button with a checkbox to activate it
> > -0 as it feels a bit weird.
> > >    C. A button and a modal to confirm the action
> > +1
> > >    D. A generic bulk action on the livetable
> >

> +1 for D. but since it involves multiple documents, we will also need a
> confirmation for these actions. So the solution would be a mix between D. +
> C.
> If we implement D. we will have the base for multiple other use cases,
> since this needs is recurrent.

It would be great to list the possible use cases to see if the
development of this feature is worth the effort. For now, the only use
case that comes to my mind is for the deletion action.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:17 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:09 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:06 PM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Simon,

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

> > > -1
> > > -0 as it feels a bit weird.
> > > +1
> > >

> > +1 for D. but since it involves multiple documents, we will also need a
> > confirmation for these actions. So the solution would be a mix between
> D. +
> > C.
> > If we implement D. we will have the base for multiple other use cases,
> > since this needs is recurrent.
>
> It would be great to list the possible use cases to see if the
> development of this feature is worth the effort. For now, the only use
> case that comes to my mind is for the deletion action.

Some examples only with the ALL Bulk action in the livetable:
* AWM: "Delete all entries" action could be finally placed inside the
livetable
* Export all pages: could be done for the entire space (backup)
* Delete all the children of a particular page
* Download in a zip file with all the attachments of a particular page
* Upgrade all extensions in a particular upgrade
There are fewer cases for ALL, but in theory for any "Action" provided, an
"[Action] All" is valid.

The bulk actions goes hand in hand also with having individual checkboxes
per line. So the user would select some entries and than apply the
"[Action] All". This would be useful when:
* Deleting/Restoring only some pages / children from a wiki / space;
* Mass rollback/delete utility (for pages - as above; or even for spam
users)
* Copy/Move/Rename for pages/attachments from one page/wiki to another
* Adding/Removing multiple users to a particular group

So the bulk actions can be applied to pages, attachments, users, history,
extensions, etc.

> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> > > +1, this is probably the best solution but also more complicated to do.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Adel

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 for C.

D could be nice but from the user perspective, I think a big button like
"clear the recycle bin" is simpler than a generic "bulk" action.

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Simon Urli
Hi everyone,

thanks for your answers.
I'll do solution C for the next release then, we can continue discuss
about D in the dedicated issue.

Simon

[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and will
look horrible.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> thanks for your answers.
> I'll do solution C for the next release then, we can continue discuss
> about D in the dedicated issue.
>
> Simon
>
> On 29/10/2018 16:23, Guillaume Delhumeau wrote:
> > +1 for C.
> >
> > D could be nice but from the user perspective, I think a big button like
> > "clear the recycle bin" is simpler than a generic "bulk" action.
> >
> > Le lun. 29 oct. 2018 à 15:17, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

> >> D. +
> >>
> >> It would be great to list the possible use cases to see if the
> >> development of this feature is worth the effort. For now, the only use
> >> case that comes to my mind is for the deletion action.

> do.

> --
> Simon Urli
> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I would be even -1 for any other solution than D. Especially since, if we
do it with C, I don't know when we will come back and redo the
functionality.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:18 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and will
> look horrible.
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> thanks for your answers.
>> I'll do solution C for the next release then, we can continue discuss
>> about D in the dedicated issue.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> On 29/10/2018 16:23, Guillaume Delhumeau wrote:
>> > +1 for C.
>> >
>> > D could be nice but from the user perspective, I think a big button like
>> > "clear the recycle bin" is simpler than a generic "bulk" action.

>> for
>> >>>>>

>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

>> do.

>> --
>> Simon Urli
>> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> [hidden email]
>> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Guillaume Delhumeau
This is what the recycle bin of a Macintosh looks like:
https://image.ibb.co/nBjh8L/Recycle-Bin.png

I think many users think this "clean" button is usefull, even if it is
unconsistent with what all other places look like in the Finder. Same with
Gmail. And I miss this feature in the Apple "Mail" application.

Since "Recycle Bin" is a "special" place with a "special" use-case, I don't
think it's horrible to have a special button to make it easy to use. I
would hate to have to play with bulk actions for this simple use-case
because of "consistency".

Le mer. 31 oct. 2018 à 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> I would be even -1 for any other solution than D. Especially since, if we
> do it with C, I don't know when we will come back and redo the
> functionality.
>

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:18 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and will
>> look horrible.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> thanks for your answers.
>>> I'll do solution C for the next release then, we can continue discuss
>>> about D in the dedicated issue.
>>>
>>> Simon

>>> like

>>> the
>>> for
>>> >>>>>

>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

>>> need a
>>> between
>>> cases,

>>> do.

>>> --
>>> Simon Urli
>>> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
>>> [hidden email]
>>> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

> On 31 Oct 2018, at 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would be even -1 for any other solution than D. Especially since, if we
> do it with C, I don't know when we will come back and redo the
> functionality.

AFAIK, there’s definitely no time to implement D in XWiki 10.10 and it’s way better to have C than not do anything so I’m still in favor of C for 10.10.

Now if we just agree that we prefer an icon/button inside the LT filter zone in the Actions column, then it’s also fine with me.

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:18 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and will
>> look horrible.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> thanks for your answers.
>>> I'll do solution C for the next release then, we can continue discuss
>>> about D in the dedicated issue.
>>>
>>> Simon

>>> for
>>>>>>>>

>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

>>> do.

>>> --
>>> Simon Urli
>>> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
>>> [hidden email]
>>> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:35 PM Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is what the recycle bin of a Macintosh looks like:
> https://image.ibb.co/nBjh8L/Recycle-Bin.png

The button you are referencing is not floating in the middle of the page or
after a 10 items livetable. Its position is inside a clear toolbar.

> I think many users think this "clean" button is usefull, even if it is
> unconsistent with what all other places look like in the Finder. Same with
> Gmail. And I miss this feature in the Apple "Mail" application.
>
> Since "Recycle Bin" is a "special" place with a "special" use-case, I
> don't think it's horrible to have a special button to make it easy to use.
> I would hate to have to play with bulk actions for this simple use-case
> because of "consistency".
>
> Le mer. 31 oct. 2018 à 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
>> I would be even -1 for any other solution than D. Especially since, if we
>> do it with C, I don't know when we will come back and redo the
>> functionality.
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:18 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and
>>> will look horrible.

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Guillaume Delhumeau
Clearly, the way it looks like could be improved, but it does not dismiss
the principle.

Le mer. 31 oct. 2018 à 14:00, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:35 PM Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is what the recycle bin of a Macintosh looks like:
>> https://image.ibb.co/nBjh8L/Recycle-Bin.png
>>

> The button you are referencing is not floating in the middle of the page
> or after a 10 items livetable. Its position is inside a clear toolbar.
>

>> I think many users think this "clean" button is usefull, even if it is
>> unconsistent with what all other places look like in the Finder. Same with
>> Gmail. And I miss this feature in the Apple "Mail" application.
>>
>> Since "Recycle Bin" is a "special" place with a "special" use-case, I
>> don't think it's horrible to have a special button to make it easy to use.
>> I would hate to have to play with bulk actions for this simple use-case
>> because of "consistency".
>>
>> Le mer. 31 oct. 2018 à 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
>> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> I would be even -1 for any other solution than D. Especially since, if
>>> we do it with C, I don't know when we will come back and redo the
>>> functionality.

>> --
>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and will
> look horrible.

We have a few places where we have buttons above / below the live table:

* Wiki index (Create Wiki above the live table)
* Licensed Extensions (Check for Updates below the live table)
* Users Administration section (Create User below the live table)
* Groups Administration section (Create Group below the live table)
* Data Type (Create this Class above the live table)
* Class Sheet (Create this Page above the live table)

So I don't see the problem with option C.

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:38 AM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > thanks for your answers.
> > I'll do solution C for the next release then, we can continue discuss
> > about D in the dedicated issue.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > On 29/10/2018 16:23, Guillaume Delhumeau wrote:
> > > +1 for C.
> > >
> > > D could be nice but from the user perspective, I think a big button
> like
> > > "clear the recycle bin" is simpler than a generic "bulk" action.

> the
> for
> > >>>>>

> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

> need a
> between
> cases,

> > do.

> > --
> > Simon Urli
> > Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > [hidden email]
> > More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Simon Urli
Hi all,

I just edited the design page to propose two variants for the place of
the button in C :
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin#HVariants

Don't hesitate to give me some feedback or to propose other design.

Simon

[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Marius Dumitru Florea
If you put it in the Actions column then you need to have space for a
"Restore all" button or any other bulk action that we may add later. It
looks OK with one button but it doesn't look good IMO with two big buttons.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:48 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just edited the design page to propose two variants for the place of
> the button in C :
>
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin#HVariants
>
> Don't hesitate to give me some feedback or to propose other design.
>
> Simon
>
> On 02/11/2018 10:10, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't like solution C. It will not be consistent with anything and
> will
> >> look horrible.
> >>

> > We have a few places where we have buttons above / below the live table:
> >
> > * Wiki index (Create Wiki above the live table)
> > * Licensed Extensions (Check for Updates below the live table)
> > * Users Administration section (Create User below the live table)
> > * Groups Administration section (Create Group below the live table)
> > * Data Type (Create this Class above the live table)
> > * Class Sheet (Create this Page above the live table)
> >
> > So I don't see the problem with option C.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marius

> >> like

> [hidden email]

> >> the
> >> for
> >>>>>>>>

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

> >> need a
> >> between
> >> cases,

> use

> --
> Simon Urli
> Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
What's the difference between C2 and D? For me it's the same thing. You
just used button instead of the livetable styling for actions. In D, I'm
showed how it would look like with multiple actions, but if you remove the
Restore, and keep just Delete All, C2 and D it's the same thing. And I
prefer this version.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 1:01 PM Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you put it in the Actions column then you need to have space for a
> "Restore all" button or any other bulk action that we may add later. It
> looks OK with one button but it doesn't look good IMO with two big buttons.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:48 PM Simon Urli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just edited the design page to propose two variants for the place of
> > the button in C :
> >

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin#HVariants
> >
> > Don't hesitate to give me some feedback or to propose other design.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> > On 02/11/2018 10:10, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
> > > On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]>

> > will
> > >>

> > > We have a few places where we have buttons above / below the live
> table:
> > >
> > > * Wiki index (Create Wiki above the live table)
> > > * Licensed Extensions (Check for Updates below the live table)
> > > * Users Administration section (Create User below the live table)
> > > * Groups Administration section (Create Group below the live table)
> > > * Data Type (Create this Class above the live table)
> > > * Class Sheet (Create this Page above the live table)
> > >
> > > So I don't see the problem with option C.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Marius

> > [hidden email]

> like
> > >>>>>>>>

> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Deleteallfromrecyclebin

> > use

> > --
> > Simon Urli
> > Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > [hidden email]
> > More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Delete all in the recycle bin

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 1:13 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What's the difference between C2 and D?

D is about allowing the user to select the pages to delete. This means
having a checkbox on each row to be able to select it and having a Select
All / None buttons / links to select all rows or none.

C is about all or none, no custom selection.