[Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

[Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Caty and I would like to work on improving xwiki.org and the first big items that we’d like to do is:

* Move all content from platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org to xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
* When moving pages, use redirects
* Deprecate platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org by adding a banner (After Header UIX)
* Move all pages to 3 locations on the main wiki: Documentation.UserGuide, Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
* We also replace “XWiki Enterprise” with “XWiki” and be as generic as possible

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

+1

On 08/29/2017 02:49 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Caty and I would like to work on improving xwiki.org and the first big items that we’d like to do is:
>
> * Move all content from platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org to xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
> * When moving pages, use redirects
> * Deprecate platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org by adding a banner (After Header UIX)
> * Move all pages to 3 locations on the main wiki: Documentation.UserGuide, Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
> * We also replace “XWiki Enterprise” with “XWiki” and be as generic as possible

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1, excellent initiative

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Alex Cotiugă
+1

Thanks,
Alex

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, excellent initiative

> > +1.
> >
> > On 08/29/2017 02:49 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > Caty and I would like to work on improving xwiki.org and the first big
> > items that we’d like to do is:
> > >
> > > * Move all content from platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org to
> > xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
> > > * When moving pages, use redirects
> > > * Deprecate platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org by adding a
> > banner (After Header UIX)
> > > * Move all pages to 3 locations on the main wiki:
> > Documentation.UserGuide, Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
> > > * We also replace “XWiki Enterprise” with “XWiki” and be as generic as
> > possible
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent
> > >

> > --
> > Sergiu Dumitriu
> > http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
> >

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Eduard Moraru
+1

Thanks,
Eduard

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Alexandru Cotiuga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1, excellent initiative

> > > +1.

> big
> > > items that we’d like to do is:

> > > xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
> > > banner (After Header UIX)
> > > Documentation.UserGuide, Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
> as
> > > possible

> > > --
> > > Sergiu Dumitriu
> > > http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
> > >

> > --
> > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1

Thanks,
Ecaterina

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Caty and I would like to work on improving xwiki.org and the first big
> items that we’d like to do is:
>
> * Move all content from platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org to
> xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
> * When moving pages, use redirects
> * Deprecate platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org by adding a banner
> (After Header UIX)
> * Move all pages to 3 locations on the main wiki: Documentation.UserGuide,
> Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
> * We also replace “XWiki Enterprise” with “XWiki” and be as generic as
> possible

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
What about hiding the #docextra ?

There are some very old comments (from 2006, 2011, etc.) that are
deprecated and make the website look abandoned. We have now the forum for
this types of questions.

So I would like to hide the comments as a very minimum change, or even the
whole docextra. WDYT?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Caty and I would like to work on improving xwiki.org and the first big
> > items that we’d like to do is:
> >
> > * Move all content from platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org to
> > xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
> > * When moving pages, use redirects
> > * Deprecate platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org by adding a banner
> > (After Header UIX)
> > * Move all pages to 3 locations on the main wiki:
> Documentation.UserGuide,
> > Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
> > * We also replace “XWiki Enterprise” with “XWiki” and be as generic as
> > possible
> >
> > WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

> On 1 Sep 2017, at 16:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What about hiding the #docextra ?
>
> There are some very old comments (from 2006, 2011, etc.) that are
> deprecated and make the website look abandoned. We have now the forum for
> this types of questions.
> So I would like to hide the comments as a very minimum change, or even the
> whole docextra. WDYT?

If we hide them then we’re also loosing all the information in them (ie users who added warnings, extra doc, etc). Are we prepared to loose that?

> Caty
>
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> Caty and I would like to work on improving xwiki.org and the first big
>>> items that we’d like to do is:
>>>
>>> * Move all content from platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org to
>>> xwiki.org (i.e. the main wiki)
>>> * When moving pages, use redirects
>>> * Deprecate platform.xwiki.org & enterprise.xwiki.org by adding a banner
>>> (After Header UIX)
>>> * Move all pages to 3 locations on the main wiki:
>> Documentation.UserGuide,
>>> Documentation.DevGuide and Document.AdminGuide
>>> * We also replace “XWiki Enterprise” with “XWiki” and be as generic as
>>> possible
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Eduard Moraru
+1 for hiding just the comments.

Users should be encouraged to edit the pages instead of leaving comments.

So I would suggest to hide the comments tab (because we need the other
ones, like attachments) right away and then, as time allows, progressively
go through the existing comments, removing them and including/integrating
relevant documentation as much as possible in their associated document.

Even if I would prefer to integrate as much as possible, I am personally ok
even with dropping the comments entirely if we can't do the integration.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 1 Sep 2017, at 16:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > What about hiding the #docextra ?
> >
> > There are some very old comments (from 2006, 2011, etc.) that are
> > deprecated and make the website look abandoned. We have now the forum for
> > this types of questions.
> > So I would like to hide the comments as a very minimum change, or even
> the
> > whole docextra. WDYT?
>
> If we hide them then we’re also loosing all the information in them (ie
> users who added warnings, extra doc, etc). Are we prepared to loose that?

> > Caty
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Marius

> banner
> >> Documentation.UserGuide,

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 with Caty and Edy

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
FTR: I've replaced the 'Comments' tab from the documentation wikis. It is
still available on e.x.o and the design wiki.

Thank you,
Caty

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 with Caty and Edy

> > +1 for hiding just the comments.
> >
> > Users should be encouraged to edit the pages instead of leaving comments.
> >
> > So I would suggest to hide the comments tab (because we need the other
> > ones, like attachments) right away and then, as time allows,
> progressively
> > go through the existing comments, removing them and including/integrating
> > relevant documentation as much as possible in their associated document.
> >
> > Even if I would prefer to integrate as much as possible, I am personally
> ok
> > even with dropping the comments entirely if we can't do the integration.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard

> [hidden email]>

> > for
> even
> > > the
> > >
> > > If we hide them then we’re also loosing all the information in them (ie
> > > users who added warnings, extra doc, etc). Are we prepared to loose
> that?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > big

> > > banner
> > as

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

> On 20 Sep 2017, at 17:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> FTR: I've replaced the 'Comments' tab from the documentation wikis. It is
> still available on e.x.o and the design wiki.

Thanks Caty. BTW I see that now the Attachment tab is open by default. I’m not sure if that’s nice. WDYT?

Another option would be to have the tab closed by default and you’d need to click on one to open it.

Would it be better or do you think it’s ok as it is?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 20 Sep 2017, at 17:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > FTR: I've replaced the 'Comments' tab from the documentation wikis. It is
> > still available on e.x.o and the design wiki.
>
> Thanks Caty. BTW I see that now the Attachment tab is open by default. I’m
> not sure if that’s nice. WDYT?

I've noticed that too and it's a bit disturbing for some pages that have
many attachments.

> Another option would be to have the tab closed by default and you’d need
> to click on one to open it.

This is not implemented yet in the platform. I don't have a clear solution
for this. An alternative would be to let the admin decide which tab he
wants to be selected.

> Would it be better or do you think it’s ok as it is?

> > Thank you,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 with Caty and Edy

> comments.

> >> progressively
> including/integrating
> document.

> personally
> >> ok
> integration.

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> even

> (ie
> >> that?

> >> --
> >> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> >> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> >> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

Guillaume Delhumeau

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > > On 20 Sep 2017, at 17:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > FTR: I've replaced the 'Comments' tab from the documentation wikis. It
> is
> > > still available on e.x.o and the design wiki.
> >
> > Thanks Caty. BTW I see that now the Attachment tab is open by default.
> I’m
> > not sure if that’s nice. WDYT?
> >

> I've noticed that too and it's a bit disturbing for some pages that have
> many attachments.
>

> > Another option would be to have the tab closed by default and you’d need
> > to click on one to open it.
> >

> This is not implemented yet in the platform. I don't have a clear solution
> for this. An alternative would be to let the admin decide which tab he
> wants to be selected.

An other solution would be to not show any tab at all. Viewers like
attachments, history or children are still available from the menus.

> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> > Would it be better or do you think it’s ok as it is?

> > > Thank you,
> > > Caty

> > comments.

> other
> > including/integrating
> > document.

> > personally
> > integration.

> forum

> > (ie

> [hidden email]

> first

> enterprise.xwiki.org
> generic

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Deprecate platform.xwiki.org and enterprise.xwiki.org

> On 20 Sep 2017, at 17:55, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> is
>>>
>>> Thanks Caty. BTW I see that now the Attachment tab is open by default.
>> I’m
>>> not sure if that’s nice. WDYT?
>>>

>> I've noticed that too and it's a bit disturbing for some pages that have
>> many attachments.
>>

>>> Another option would be to have the tab closed by default and you’d need
>>> to click on one to open it.
>>>

>> This is not implemented yet in the platform. I don't have a clear solution
>> for this. An alternative would be to let the admin decide which tab he
>> wants to be selected.
>>

> An other solution would be to not show any tab at all. Viewers like
> attachments, history or children are still available from the menus.

Yes but we don’t have this feature yet. It would be nice to open a jira for this since I agree it’s a nice thing to have. We would need some admin UI for that too (+ new velocity variables possibly). The main use case would be for web sites like xwiki.org.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 20 Sep 2017, at 17:55, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> >:

> [hidden email]

> >> is

> >> I’m
> >>>

> >> I've noticed that too and it's a bit disturbing for some pages that have
> >> many attachments.

> need
> >>>

> >> This is not implemented yet in the platform. I don't have a clear
> solution
> >> for this. An alternative would be to let the admin decide which tab he
> >> wants to be selected.
> >>

> > An other solution would be to not show any tab at all. Viewers like
> > attachments, history or children are still available from the menus.
>
> Yes but we don’t have this feature yet. It would be nice to open a jira
> for this since I agree it’s a nice thing to have. We would need some admin
> UI for that too (+ new velocity variables possibly). The main use case
> would be for web sites like xwiki.org.

We have the feature, we can disable all the docextras. That's what I did
initially, but the History tab was useful when doing the move.
What we need to fix / make it configurable is
https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13799