[Proposal] Improve installer to include database setup

[Proposal] Improve installer to include database setup

I'm proposing to improve the generic install to add database
configuration setup:

1) include different database driver jars in the installer
2) have some installation panels to let the user choose the database
to use (using some combo box and fields to modify default DB values)
3) include the XAR in the installer
4) use the packager tool to import the XAR in the database at install
time (using the information provided in 2))

Note: I'd also like to modify the web/standard build so that we
release only a single WAR without database driver and without DB
configuration.

Advanced users will configure it manually and novice will use the
installer.

Re: [Proposal] Improve installer to include database setup

I think it's a good idea. Just a more detailed thing targeting XEM and
other multiwiki products: It would be great to have installer with
izpack "<pack></pack>" organized one wiki/xar a pack and create sub
wiki from attached xar as you said and XWikiServer document at
installer runtime.

WDYT ?

On Sep 8, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's a good idea. Just a more detailed thing targeting XEM and
> other multiwiki products: It would be great to have installer with
> izpack "<pack></pack>" organized one wiki/xar a pack and create sub
> wiki from attached xar as you said and XWikiServer document at
> installer runtime.
>
> WDYT ?

For XEM I see 3 packs:

* Platform Core
* XEM Admin XAR
* XEM Template XAR

Is that what you mean?

Now for creating sub wikis, I think it might be best to leave that to
the XEM Admin XAR so that when an admin logs in the Admin XAR he has
the buttons for creating and administrating sub wikis. I don't see
that as a feature of the installer but more a runtime feature (as
anyway the admin needs the option of creating/removing sub wikis).

2007/9/8, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:

> On Sep 8, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it's a good idea. Just a more detailed thing targeting XEM and
> > other multiwiki products: It would be great to have installer with
> > izpack "<pack></pack>" organized one wiki/xar a pack and create sub
> > wiki from attached xar as you said and XWikiServer document at
> > installer runtime.
> >
> > WDYT ?
>
> For XEM I see 3 packs:
>
> * Platform Core
> * XEM Admin XAR
> * XEM Template XAR
>
> Is that what you mean?

Yes it's that, for now. I suppose latter we will have more template
(Blog wiki, Wiki wiki, ...).

> Now for creating sub wikis, I think it might be best to leave that to
> the XEM Admin XAR so that when an admin logs in the Admin XAR he has
> the buttons for creating and administrating sub wikis. I don't see
> that as a feature of the installer but more a runtime feature (as
> anyway the admin needs the option of creating/removing sub wikis).

That feature already exists in the Admin wiki but It will be easier
for a user to have theses templates in an installer interface. Plus if
we have lots of template wiki (which I thinks would be great) use
installer lighten Admin wiki.

On Sep 9, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> 2007/9/8, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Sep 8, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it's a good idea. Just a more detailed thing targeting
>>> XEM and
>>> other multiwiki products: It would be great to have installer with
>>> izpack "<pack></pack>" organized one wiki/xar a pack and create sub
>>> wiki from attached xar as you said and XWikiServer document at
>>> installer runtime.
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>
>> For XEM I see 3 packs:
>>
>> * Platform Core
>> * XEM Admin XAR
>> * XEM Template XAR
>>
>> Is that what you mean?
>
> Yes it's that, for now. I suppose latter we will have more template
> (Blog wiki, Wiki wiki, ...).

Yes that's a very good idea. Once we have separated XE into
applications we could have the following XARs:
- Blog
- Admin
- Panels
- Navigation
- Photo Album
- etc

See below for another idea.

>> Now for creating sub wikis, I think it might be best to leave that to
>> the XEM Admin XAR so that when an admin logs in the Admin XAR he has
>> the buttons for creating and administrating sub wikis. I don't see
>> that as a feature of the installer but more a runtime feature (as
>> anyway the admin needs the option of creating/removing sub wikis).
>
> That feature already exists in the Admin wiki but It will be easier
> for a user to have theses templates in an installer interface. Plus if
> we have lots of template wiki (which I thinks would be great) use
> installer lighten Admin wiki.

Actually I think we could go a step further for all applications,
templates, etc. I envision an online XWiki repository of
applications, plugins, templates, etc, and in the admin part of XE or
XEM you'll be able to see all of them ,see whether they are already
installed or not and if not, have the option to install them.

I think this is even nicer and offer more capabilities than a static
installer.

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Improve installer to include database setup

ebullient
On 9/9/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
[snip..]

> > Yes it's that, for now. I suppose latter we will have more template
> > (Blog wiki, Wiki wiki, ...).
>
> Yes that's a very good idea. Once we have separated XE into
> applications we could have the following XARs:
> - Blog
> - Admin
> - Panels
> - Navigation
> - Photo Album
> - etc

I really dislike the monolithic "Panels" xar. The Panels xar should
contain only the Panels app/Panels Wizard, IMO. The other panels
(navigation, search, blah blah) should be closer to the xar's that
contain similar function... especially as the panels macros are in the
default template set...

[snip..]

> Actually I think we could go a step further for all applications,
> templates, etc. I envision an online XWiki repository of
> applications, plugins, templates, etc, and in the admin part of XE or
> XEM you'll be able to see all of them ,see whether they are already
> installed or not and if not, have the option to install them.
>
> I think this is even nicer and offer more capabilities than a static
> installer.

This is how I manage my customized install:

I have one xar containing the "only do this if you're doing a fresh
install" pages, like XWikiPreferences, for example.  You have to
assume that after a clean install, XWikiPreferences will have been
customized.

Then I have a second xar for those things I modified that should be
updated to refresh/upgrade an existing install: Search page changes,
or updates to the XWikiUserSheet-- things that aren't likely to be
customized, but that would be updated as part of a new/upgraded
release.

then I have other xars for the applications I use and maintain, like
the "Packager" application from the CodeZone (which I've modified).
It allows me to use a text box (primitive) to specify the list of
pages to include in each of these xars, and to specify a version for
that xar, so I end up with: custom-tool-1.5.xar. Each of the
individual xar files contains a "Package" page, so that I know what
version I updated last.  I should probably package that up w/ my
changes and send it to you guys, eh?

I'd also like to see (and perhaps you're implying this, Vincent) the
XWikiPreferences and Skins pages simplified.  Having all of the
different *.vm fields, plus all of the other gorp is pretty busy.
Seems like that one big monolithic object could be split into more
pieces. For example, it's assumed that you have an ad client id...
wouldn't it be better to have the ad stuff as a separate object that
can be added to the Preferences page if you have ads? Same with all of
the macro pages.. Can't we have smaller objects that manage the groovy
settings, and the velocity settings?

--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

On Sep 9, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Erin Schnabel wrote:

> On 9/9/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 9, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> [snip..]
>>> Yes it's that, for now. I suppose latter we will have more template
>>> (Blog wiki, Wiki wiki, ...).
>>
>> Yes that's a very good idea. Once we have separated XE into
>> applications we could have the following XARs:
>> - Blog
>> - Admin
>> - Panels
>> - Navigation
>> - Photo Album
>> - etc
>>

> I really dislike the monolithic "Panels" xar. The Panels xar should
> contain only the Panels app/Panels Wizard, IMO. The other panels
> (navigation, search, blah blah) should be closer to the xar's that
> contain similar function... especially as the panels macros are in the
> default template set...

Good point. I agree that the XARs should be segmented by features and
not by "technology".

As you say we'll still have some base Panel docs (templates, classes,
classheets, etc). They can go either in a Panel XAR or in the Admin
XAR. Being in the Admin means there's no other way than the Panels
for menus which is true now but probably won't in the future. Also if
that Panel XAR is not installed then installing, say, the Blog
feature which has the Blog Panel will make the Blog Panel not work.
But we can probably still have that provided we implement application
dependencies (a la Maven).

For now we could have the Panels base docs in the Admin XAR and each
Panel in the application XAR corresponding to its domain. This will
ensure the base panels classes are always present.

-Vincent

>> Actually I think we could go a step further for all applications,
>> templates, etc. I envision an online XWiki repository of
>> applications, plugins, templates, etc, and in the admin part of XE or
>> XEM you'll be able to see all of them ,see whether they are already
>> installed or not and if not, have the option to install them.
>>
>> I think this is even nicer and offer more capabilities than a static
>> installer.

> This is how I manage my customized install:
>
> I have one xar containing the "only do this if you're doing a fresh
> install" pages, like XWikiPreferences, for example.  You have to
> assume that after a clean install, XWikiPreferences will have been
> customized.
>
> Then I have a second xar for those things I modified that should be
> updated to refresh/upgrade an existing install: Search page changes,
> or updates to the XWikiUserSheet-- things that aren't likely to be
> customized, but that would be updated as part of a new/upgraded
> release.
>
> then I have other xars for the applications I use and maintain, like
> the "Packager" application from the CodeZone (which I've modified).
> It allows me to use a text box (primitive) to specify the list of
> pages to include in each of these xars, and to specify a version for
> that xar, so I end up with: custom-tool-1.5.xar. Each of the
> individual xar files contains a "Package" page, so that I know what
> version I updated last.  I should probably package that up w/ my
> changes and send it to you guys, eh?
>
> I'd also like to see (and perhaps you're implying this, Vincent) the
> XWikiPreferences and Skins pages simplified.  Having all of the
> different *.vm fields, plus all of the other gorp is pretty busy.
> Seems like that one big monolithic object could be split into more
> pieces. For example, it's assumed that you have an ad client id...
> wouldn't it be better to have the ad stuff as a separate object that
> can be added to the Preferences page if you have ads? Same with all of
> the macro pages.. Can't we have smaller objects that manage the groovy
> settings, and the velocity settings?

Regarding compilation problem

Colin Tay
Hi all,

I had trouble in compliation of the database module in the xwiki-enterprise and i have attached the error messages as below. And how do i go about in configuring the XWiki to use an oracle database instead?

Thanks

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   XWiki Products - Enterprise - Parent POM
[INFO]   XWiki Products - Enterprise - Wiki
[INFO]   XWiki Products - Enterprise - Database
[INFO]   XWiki Products - Enterprise - Distribution
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building XWiki Products - Enterprise - Parent POM
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] [install:install]
[INFO] Installing C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\pom.xml to C:\Documents and Settings\10685\.m2\repository\com\xpn\xwiki\products\xwiki-enterprise-parent\1.2-SNAPSHOT\xwiki-enterprise-parent-1.2-SNAPSHOT.pom
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building XWiki Products - Enterprise - Wiki
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [xwiki-build-xar:xar]
[INFO] Building zip: C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\wiki\target\xwiki-enterprise-wiki.xar
[INFO] [install:install]
[INFO] Installing C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\wiki\target\xwiki-enterprise-wiki.xar to C:\Documents and Settings\10685\.m2\repository\com\xpn\xwiki\products\xwiki-enterprise-wiki\1.2-SNAPSHOT\xwiki-enterprise-wiki-1.2-SNAPSHOT.xar
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building XWiki Products - Enterprise - Database
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downloading: http://maven.xwiki.org/externals/groovy/groovy-all-1.0-jsr/06/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-06.pom
Downloading: http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/groovy/groovy-all-1.0-jsr/06/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-06.pom
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/groovy/groovy-all-1.0-jsr/06/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-06.pom
Downloading: http://maven.xwiki.org/externals/groovy/groovy-all-1.0-jsr/06/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-06.pom
Downloading: http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/groovy/groovy-all-1.0-jsr/06/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-06.pom
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/groovy/groovy-all-1.0-jsr/06/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-06.pom
[INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class => 'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] [remote-resources:process]
[INFO] [xwiki-build-xar:unxar]
[INFO] [xwiki-packager:import]
11:22:28,171  WARN main  OSCacheService:loadProps:183 - Could not load cache properties oscache.properties: null
11:22:28,171  WARN main  OSCacheService:loadProps:183 - Could not load cache properties oscache-local.properties: null
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to import XWiki documents

Embedded error: Error number 1 in 5: Package: Failed to import documents from [C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\database\target\xar]
Wrapped Exception: C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\database\target\xar\Blog.Categories\txt (The system cannot find the path specified)
[INFO] Total time: 48 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Sep 10 11:22:30 GMT+08:00 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 20M/37M
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO] XWiki Products - Enterprise - Parent POM .............. SUCCESS [0.734s]
[INFO] XWiki Products - Enterprise - Wiki .................... SUCCESS [1.969s]
[INFO] XWiki Products - Enterprise - Database ................ FAILED [45.186s]
[INFO] XWiki Products - Enterprise - Distribution ............ NOT BUILT
[INFO] Error for project: XWiki Products - Enterprise - Database (during com.xpn.xwiki.platform:xwiki-packager:1.4-SNAPSHOT:import)
[INFO] Failed to import XWiki documents

Embedded error: Error number 1 in 5: Package: Failed to import documents from [C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\database\target\xar]
Wrapped Exception: C:\xwiki\xwiki-products\xwiki-enterprise\trunk\database\target\xar\Blog.Categories\txt (The system cannot find the path specified)
[INFO] BUILD ERRORS
[INFO] Total time: 48 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Sep 10 11:22:31 GMT+08:00 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 20M/37M

2007/9/9, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:

> On Sep 9, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> >> For XEM I see 3 packs:
> >>
> >> * Platform Core
> >> * XEM Admin XAR
> >> * XEM Template XAR
> >>
> >> Is that what you mean?
> >
> > Yes it's that, for now. I suppose latter we will have more template
> > (Blog wiki, Wiki wiki, ...).
>
> Yes that's a very good idea. Once we have separated XE into
> applications we could have the following XARs:
> - Blog
> - Admin
> - Panels
> - Navigation
> - Photo Album
> - etc
>
> See below for another idea.
>
> >> Now for creating sub wikis, I think it might be best to leave that to
> >> the XEM Admin XAR so that when an admin logs in the Admin XAR he has
> >> the buttons for creating and administrating sub wikis. I don't see
> >> that as a feature of the installer but more a runtime feature (as
> >> anyway the admin needs the option of creating/removing sub wikis).
> >
> > That feature already exists in the Admin wiki but It will be easier
> > for a user to have theses templates in an installer interface. Plus if
> > we have lots of template wiki (which I thinks would be great) use
> > installer lighten Admin wiki.
>
> Actually I think we could go a step further for all applications,
> templates, etc. I envision an online XWiki repository of
> applications, plugins, templates, etc, and in the admin part of XE or
> XEM you'll be able to see all of them ,see whether they are already
> installed or not and if not, have the option to install them.
>
> I think this is even nicer and offer more capabilities than a static
> installer.

Cool a wiki-apt-get :) Yes you are right it is not very difficult to
do (when we will define xwiki application format with dependecies
etc.) and it will improve a lot xwiki usability and applications
contribs I think.

> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Improve installer to include database setup

David Ward-8
Vincent,

I'm not sure if this is the email you were referring to.

For Curriki, I think as long as there is an easy (and constant) way to
add the driver and configuration to the war via a script (such as
unjar, copy files, jar) then this sounds fine to me.

Right now this is how the xwiki.cfg, hibernate.cfg.xml, and web.xml
files get added on our development system before giving to Sun's SJSAS
for auto-deployment after each successful build.

Dave

On Sep 11, 2007, at 11:42 PM, David Ward wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the email you were referring to.

No sorry it was another one but I replied to the old list... so just
resent it this morning...

-Vinent