[Proposal] Include Toucan skin as preview in XE 1.3M2 release in addition to Albatross

[Proposal] Include Toucan skin as preview in XE 1.3M2 release in addition to Albatross

The idea is to keep Albatross the default skin in 1.3M2 but package
the Toucan skin so that users can easily use it and test it more.

Then in 1.3RC1 we would make Toucan the default skin. We should keep
the Albatross skin too I think and only remove it in 1.4 (i.e. users
would download it from code.xwiki.org to get it).

Re: [Proposal] Include Toucan skin as preview in XE 1.3M2 release in addition to Albatross

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
+0.5

I agree that we should include it in 1.3M2, but I don't have an opinion
about setting it as the default skin or removing albatross from the
package. This is not something that can be done for the moment, and it
won't be possible until some more code is changed.

This is because for the moment Toucan is just a customization of
Albatross, and cannot live all by itself. If we manage to extract the
core of Albatross as platform-web templates, so that Toucan will depend
only on the core templates, then I'd vote for the removal of Albatross.

Vincent Massol wrote:

> The idea is to keep Albatross the default skin in 1.3M2 but package
> the Toucan skin so that users can easily use it and test it more.
>
> Then in 1.3RC1 we would make Toucan the default skin. We should keep
> the Albatross skin too I think and only remove it in 1.4 (i.e. users
> would download it from code.xwiki.org to get it).

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] Include Toucan skin as preview in XE 1.3M2 release in addition to Albatross

ebullient
This is about right, as I see it..

I'm about to (with the help of an intern) re-do our custom skin again,
and it almost always entails figuring out what content in albatross is
actually required, vs. what is in the templates directory. From the
1.0 base (I know, we're slow with moving), I had to pull most of the
template/skin content from albatross (e.g. the panel wizard wouldn't
work with what was in the base template directory, IIRC)..

I would LOVE to see the templates providing function separated from
the "layout" a little more than it is..

As we're looking at the upgrade to 1.2, I'll try to be better about
listing the issues we have with creating our skin as we run into
them..

Erin

On Feb 6, 2008 3:27 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +0.5
>
> I agree that we should include it in 1.3M2, but I don't have an opinion
> about setting it as the default skin or removing albatross from the
> package. This is not something that can be done for the moment, and it
> won't be possible until some more code is changed.
>
> This is because for the moment Toucan is just a customization of
> Albatross, and cannot live all by itself. If we manage to extract the
> core of Albatross as platform-web templates, so that Toucan will depend
> only on the core templates, then I'd vote for the removal of Albatross.
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > The idea is to keep Albatross the default skin in 1.3M2 but package
> > the Toucan skin so that users can easily use it and test it more.
> >
> > Then in 1.3RC1 we would make Toucan the default skin. We should keep
> > the Albatross skin too I think and only remove it in 1.4 (i.e. users
> > would download it from code.xwiki.org to get it).
> >
> > WDYT?

> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

On Feb 10, 2008, at 12:28 AM, Erin Schnabel wrote:

> This is about right, as I see it..
>
> I'm about to (with the help of an intern) re-do our custom skin again,
> and it almost always entails figuring out what content in albatross is
> actually required, vs. what is in the templates directory. From the
> 1.0 base (I know, we're slow with moving), I had to pull most of the
> template/skin content from albatross (e.g. the panel wizard wouldn't
> work with what was in the base template directory, IIRC)..

BTW for the Toucan Skin we were able to not touch at a single vm
file.... (well just one but that's only to define the list of panels
in edit mode). So all the changes are only CSS + images.

> I would LOVE to see the templates providing function separated from
> the "layout" a little more than it is..

That's the plan :)

Have you seen http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/InterfaceExtensions
  ?
We would love to get your feedback on that.

> As we're looking at the upgrade to 1.2, I'll try to be better about
> listing the issues we have with creating our skin as we run into
> them..

I'd suggest you wait for 1.2.2 which will be released early next week
(i.e. tomorrow or the day after probably). It has some fixes for the
automatic database migration to 1.2.