[Proposal] Login button for desktop

Guillaume Delhumeau
Hi Devs,

Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
confused and cannot find how to login/register.

I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png

Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#

That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for 9.11.

Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
people can register from there without the need to also add a register
button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
How about https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34754/Proposition5.png ?

Not sure why you want to add that button border, which is not consistent
with any button we have in the platform.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
> standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
> confused and cannot find how to login/register.
>
> I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png
>
> Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#
>
> That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for 9.11.
>
> Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
> people can register from there without the need to also add a register
> button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

I have 2 points:

1) We need to have this configurable somehow but that should be easy since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
2) I’d put the Login on the right, just left of the Hamburger icon (ie right of the search).

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:04, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Devs,
>
> Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
> standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
> confused and cannot find how to login/register.
>
> I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png
>
> Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#
>
> That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for 9.11.
>
> Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
> people can register from there without the need to also add a register
> button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

I’d also prefer an icon and not text if we can find an icon that’s clear enough. The other icons don’t have text so it would be nicer to continue with this for consistency.

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:40, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 points:
>
> 1) We need to have this configurable somehow but that should be easy since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
> 2) I’d put the Login on the right, just left of the Hamburger icon (ie right of the search).

>> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:04, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
>> standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
>> confused and cannot find how to login/register.
>>
>> I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png
>>
>> Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#
>>
>> That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for 9.11.
>>
>> Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
>> people can register from there without the need to also add a register
>> button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).
>>
>> WDYT?

>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

Guillaume Delhumeau
I've proposed
https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34732/Proposition4.png, but Thomas
already said that it's clearly not obvious.

I've voluntary broken the consistency to highlight this action. It's the
most important one if you are not logged.

> I’d also prefer an icon and not text if we can find an icon that’s clear
> enough. The other icons don’t have text so it would be nicer to continue
> with this for consistency.

> > On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:40, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have 2 points:
> >
> > 1) We need to have this configurable somehow but that should be easy
> since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still
> think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
> > 2) I’d put the Login on the right, just left of the Hamburger icon (ie
> right of the search).

> >> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:04, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Devs,
> >>
> >> Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
> >> standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
> >> confused and cannot find how to login/register.
> >>
> >> I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
> >> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png
> >>
> >> Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#
> >>
> >> That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for
> 9.11.
> >>
> >> Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
> >> people can register from there without the need to also add a register
> >> button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> >> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> >> Committer on the XWiki.org project

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:58, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've proposed
> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34732/Proposition4.png, but Thomas
> already said that it's clearly not obvious.
>
> I've voluntary broken the consistency to highlight this action. It's the
> most important one if you are not logged.

That depends. Only if you plan to contribute something. Remember that the vast majority of users don’t contribute anything and are just readers. So for most of users it’s not the most important icon. And if the wiki is closed you will get a log-in screen anyway.

>> I’d also prefer an icon and not text if we can find an icon that’s clear
>> enough. The other icons don’t have text so it would be nicer to continue
>> with this for consistency.

>>> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:40, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have 2 points:
>>>
>>> 1) We need to have this configurable somehow but that should be easy
>> since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still
>> think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
>>> 2) I’d put the Login on the right, just left of the Hamburger icon (ie
>> right of the search).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> 9.11.

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

On the other hand the majority of website are using the link with the text
"Log in", instead of an icon. If the point is to be explicit, than text is
the solution. I've used "Log-in" since that's our current translation and
because the "-" the words seem connected.

If the Log-in is a button, than putting it between Search and Drawer is
possible. If it's text, the text will separate the buttons and it looks
bad. Having it on the first position encourages users to Log-in.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've proposed
> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34732/Proposition4.png, but
> Thomas
> already said that it's clearly not obvious.
>
> I've voluntary broken the consistency to highlight this action. It's the
> most important one if you are not logged.

> > I’d also prefer an icon and not text if we can find an icon that’s clear
> > enough. The other icons don’t have text so it would be nicer to continue
> > with this for consistency.

> > > On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:40, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have 2 points:
> > >
> > > 1) We need to have this configurable somehow but that should be easy
> > since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still
> > think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
> > > 2) I’d put the Login on the right, just left of the Hamburger icon (ie
> > right of the search).
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > 9.11.

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 17:03, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On the other hand the majority of website are using the link with the text
> "Log in", instead of an icon. If the point is to be explicit, than text is
> the solution. I've used "Log-in" since that's our current translation and
> because the "-" the words seem connected.
>
> If the Log-in is a button, than putting it between Search and Drawer is
> possible. If it's text, the text will separate the buttons and it looks
> bad. Having it on the first position encourages users to Log-in.

Another point to be checked: if users install extensions that add UIX in the top menu then the location of the Log in icon/text may move and users may be disturbed to not find it in the same location as before (this is why I liked the rightmost location next to the drawer).

FTR Log in icons:
http://bit.ly/2AOgCmz

BTW what about log out?

> Caty
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've proposed
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34732/Proposition4.png, but
>> Thomas
>> already said that it's clearly not obvious.
>>
>> I've voluntary broken the consistency to highlight this action. It's the
>> most important one if you are not logged.

>>> I’d also prefer an icon and not text if we can find an icon that’s clear
>>> enough. The other icons don’t have text so it would be nicer to continue
>>> with this for consistency.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still
>>> think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
>>> right of the search).

>>> 9.11.

>> --
>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 17:11, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Dec 2017, at 17:03, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand the majority of website are using the link with the text
>> "Log in", instead of an icon. If the point is to be explicit, than text is
>> the solution. I've used "Log-in" since that's our current translation and
>> because the "-" the words seem connected.
>>
>> If the Log-in is a button, than putting it between Search and Drawer is
>> possible. If it's text, the text will separate the buttons and it looks
>> bad. Having it on the first position encourages users to Log-in.
>
> Another point to be checked: if users install extensions that add UIX in the top menu then the location of the Log in icon/text may move and users may be disturbed to not find it in the same location as before (this is why I liked the rightmost location next to the drawer).

Another related point: once logged in I would expect to see my avatar instead of the login icon/text and it makes sense to have it just left of the Drawer menu. As on xwiki.org for example.

> FTR Log in icons:
> http://bit.ly/2AOgCmz
>
> BTW what about log out?

>> Caty
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've proposed
>>> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34732/Proposition4.png, but
>>> Thomas
>>> already said that it's clearly not obvious.
>>>
>>> I've voluntary broken the consistency to highlight this action. It's the
>>> most important one if you are not logged.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>>> --
>>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

I'm fine with 2, 3 and 5. 5 indeed looks better (yes I find it obvious
enough :)).

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34754/Proposition5.png ?
>
> Not sure why you want to add that button border, which is not consistent
> with any button we have in the platform.

> Caty
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
>> standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
>> confused and cannot find how to login/register.
>>
>> I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png
>>
>> Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#
>>
>> That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for 9.11.
>>
>> Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
>> people can register from there without the need to also add a register
>> button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).
>>
>> WDYT?

>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

Eduard Moraru
+1 for Vincent's point.
* The Login/avatar transition from Guest to logged in user makes perfect
sense, even if it looks a bit awkward for guests.
** This also goes in line with a previous discussion we had on
Notifications which concluded that Search should be the left-most icon, due
to its expansion when clicked and the fact that it would shift anything to
its left and we don't want users to be chasing our buttons.
* The textual "Log-in" is justified, as Caty proposes, to remove any
ambiguity caused by an icon and is a very used practice on the web

I find more points in favor of this than against it and tend to believe
that it will behave well in practice.

Here's a screenshot of how it would look like now (made by Caty):
https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34756/Proposition5.1.png

Side Note: Thinking ahead, this might also be extended at some point to
have a drop-down login form when clicking the Log-In button from the top
menu, instead of redirecting to the login action, making the process much
smoother than it is right now.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I'm fine with 2, 3 and 5. 5 indeed looks better (yes I find it obvious
> enough :)).
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > How about https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34754/Proposition5.
> png ?
> >
> > Not sure why you want to add that button border, which is not consistent
> > with any button we have in the platform.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devs,
> >>
> >> Currently, the login button is inside the drawer menu, which is quite
> >> standard on mobile phones. However, on desktop, a lot of people are
> >> confused and cannot find how to login/register.
> >>
> >> I propose to add a login button in the top menu, like this:
> >> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34731/Proposition3.png
> >>
> >> Related JIRA: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14881#
> >>
> >> That could be nice to have it in addition to the current links, for
> 9.11.
> >>
> >> Note: we also need to put a "register" link in the login form, so that
> >> people can register from there without the need to also add a register
> >> button on the top menu (that would be too much IMO).
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> >> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> >> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

Paul Libbrecht-2
I think the problem with this image is the icon.

https://material.io/icons/#ic_power_settings_new or any other power button would be cool.

paul

On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:58, Guillaume Delhumeau wrote:

> I've proposed
> https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/attachment/34732/Proposition4.png, but Thomas
> already said that it's clearly not obvious.
>
> I've voluntary broken the consistency to highlight this action. It's the
> most important one if you are not logged.

>> I’d also prefer an icon and not text if we can find an icon that’s clear
>> enough. The other icons don’t have text so it would be nicer to continue
>> with this for consistency.

>>> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:40, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have 2 points:
>>>
>>> 1) We need to have this configurable somehow but that should be easy
>> since both buttons (inside and outside of the drawer are UIX). I still
>> think there are use cases for having it inside the drawer.
>>> 2) I’d put the Login on the right, just left of the Hamburger icon (ie
>> right of the search).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> 9.11.

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Login button for desktop

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
If we really want an icon, that should be the 'user' icon.