[Proposal] Make users list readonly?

Now that our forum is working well I’d like to propose to make the users list readonly and move all users to the forum.

So the plan I’m proposing is:
* On Monday, make the users list readonly
* Send a last message on it, inviting users to move to the forum

Note that we’ve already been putting a notice to all messages sent on the users lists inviting users to move to the forum and this has been running for 2 weeks already.

My feeling is that we need to finalize the move now and prevent too much scattering of user posts both on the users list and on the forum and have them all on the forum ASAP.

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

Denis Gervalle-2
Hi Vincent,
Last time I managed to follow the proposal to move to Discourse, the goal wasn’t to completely drop the mailing lists and to just have a new tool that is well synchronized, allowing usage of both together and seamlessly… Did I miss an important vote ?
I am frightened that you are proposing this while I don’t yet had the time to see the forum! Don’t you fear to lose many subscribers ? Last time I look at the forum, there was no account synchronization with xwiki.org. Did that change ?
Sorry if my questions look stupid, but the move was not so clear to me. Regards,
--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 1:14, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi devs,

Now that our forum is working well I’d like to propose to make the users list readonly and move all users to the forum.

So the plan I’m proposing is:
* On Monday, make the users list readonly
* Send a last message on it, inviting users to move to the forum

Note that we’ve already been putting a notice to all messages sent on the users lists inviting users to move to the forum and this has been running for 2 weeks already.

My feeling is that we need to finalize the move now and prevent too much scattering of user posts both on the users list and on the forum and have them all on the forum ASAP.

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

Hi Denis,

> On 2 Jun 2017, at 08:59, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
> Last time I managed to follow the proposal to move to Discourse, the goal wasn’t to completely drop the mailing lists and to just have a new tool that is well synchronized, allowing usage of both together and seamlessly… Did I miss an important vote ?

You probably read the discussion a bit quickly because it’s never been the goal to have both. That would be a pure nightmare to have both and I don’t even know how it could be implemented. What we talked about was, only for search reasons, to try to have forum posts sent to the list so that markmail can have forum posts. This is not working so well ATM, I need to check it out, but IMO it’s not a huge issue. It’s always been a nice-to-have feature only.

The other thing we discussed was that we would try to configure discourse to allow replying by mail. I’m still trying to configure this with XWiki SAS infra but they’re very slow to make any progress on this and it’s not a blocker for the user forum (could be for the devs forum if we decide to move it too to discourse but that’s not the case ATM).

> I am frightened that you are proposing this while I don’t yet had the time to see the forum!

We’re not going to wait for all users to try the forum. This will just not happen ever. We’ve tested discourse enough to know it’s good and usable. We need to use it fully now.

> Don’t you fear to lose many subscribers ?

No I’m not worried at all. This is a support channel. Anyone needing free help will find ways to move to the forum. It’s easy and documented in several places.

> Last time I look at the forum, there was no account synchronization with xwiki.org. Did that change ?

Nope. You need to either create an account on the forum or use you github account to sign in.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Now that our forum is working well I’d like to propose to make the users
> list readonly and move all users to the forum.

It's a small thing but very annoying: is there a way to reply in-line? When
the post you want to reply to is long it's pretty hard to keep context if
you can't reply in-line. The alternative is to copy and quote the part that
you are referring to, but it's not that nice.

> So the plan I’m proposing is:
> * On Monday, make the users list readonly
> * Send a last message on it, inviting users to move to the forum
>
> Note that we’ve already been putting a notice to all messages sent on the
> users lists inviting users to move to the forum and this has been running
> for 2 weeks already.
>
> My feeling is that we need to finalize the move now and prevent too much
> scattering of user posts both on the users list and on the forum and have
> them all on the forum ASAP.

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

> On 2 Jun 2017, at 19:50, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Now that our forum is working well I’d like to propose to make the users
>> list readonly and move all users to the forum.
>>

> It's a small thing but very annoying: is there a way to reply in-line? When
> the post you want to reply to is long it's pretty hard to keep context if
> you can't reply in-line. The alternative is to copy and quote the part that
> you are referring to, but it's not that nice.

Yes it’s possible and very easy to do: simply select the text you wish to reply to and you’ll see the option to reply to it :)

> Marius
>

>> So the plan I’m proposing is:
>> * On Monday, make the users list readonly
>> * Send a last message on it, inviting users to move to the forum
>>
>> Note that we’ve already been putting a notice to all messages sent on the
>> users lists inviting users to move to the forum and this has been running
>> for 2 weeks already.
>>
>> My feeling is that we need to finalize the move now and prevent too much
>> scattering of user posts both on the users list and on the forum and have
>> them all on the forum ASAP.
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

Eduard Moraru
Guys, I thought we were going to make the users list read-only, not disable
it completely. This is now what was discussed, AFAIK.

Right now, I haven't received a mail on the users list since 12th of June.

AFAIR, a proposed flow was to receive mails of the discussions and, if you
want to reply, you'd follow the reply link in the mail an open the
discourse browser window.

So, only discourse could be able to publish to the list, all other list
users would get rejected.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 2 Jun 2017, at 19:50, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> Now that our forum is working well I’d like to propose to make the users
> >> list readonly and move all users to the forum.
> >>

> > It's a small thing but very annoying: is there a way to reply in-line?
> When
> > the post you want to reply to is long it's pretty hard to keep context if
> > you can't reply in-line. The alternative is to copy and quote the part
> that
> > you are referring to, but it's not that nice.
>
> Yes it’s possible and very easy to do: simply select the text you wish to
> reply to and you’ll see the option to reply to it :)

> > Marius
> >

> >> So the plan I’m proposing is:
> >> * On Monday, make the users list readonly
> >> * Send a last message on it, inviting users to move to the forum
> >>
> >> Note that we’ve already been putting a notice to all messages sent on
> the
> >> users lists inviting users to move to the forum and this has been
> running
> >> for 2 weeks already.
> >>
> >> My feeling is that we need to finalize the move now and prevent too much
> >> scattering of user posts both on the users list and on the forum and
> have
> >> them all on the forum ASAP.
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

> On 22 Jun 2017, at 14:09, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Guys, I thought we were going to make the users list read-only, not disable
> it completely. This is now what was discussed, AFAIK.

Where did you see that? At least that’s not my proposal. My proposal is to make it read only.

> Right now, I haven't received a mail on the users list since 12th of June.

I haven’t made it readonly yet so I don’t know if it’s normal or not.

> AFAIR, a proposed flow was to receive mails of the discussions and, if you
> want to reply, you'd follow the reply link in the mail an open the
> discourse browser window.
>
> So, only discourse could be able to publish to the list, all other list
> users would get rejected.

The proposal was:
* Make the list readonly except for a given discourse user who’d have [hidden email] as its email so that we can still archive discussions done with discourse on markmail, nabble, etc.

However:
* I have configured a user having [hidden email] as its email and in “mailing list mode” but after it sends its first mail, the “mailing list mode” is automatically disabled and I don’t know why.

Conclusion so far:
* We need to make the list readonly. I’ll do this next week when I find some time.
* I don’t know how to fix the issue listed above
* In any case I don’t think it’s that important that we don’t archive discourse discussions on markmail so I’m fine with dropping this part.

> Eduard
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On 2 Jun 2017, at 19:50, Marius Dumitru Florea <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It's a small thing but very annoying: is there a way to reply in-line?
>> When
>>> the post you want to reply to is long it's pretty hard to keep context if
>>> you can't reply in-line. The alternative is to copy and quote the part
>> that
>>> you are referring to, but it's not that nice.
>>
>> Yes it’s possible and very easy to do: simply select the text you wish to
>> reply to and you’ll see the option to reply to it :)

>>> Thanks,
>>> Marius

>> the
>> running

>> have

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

> On 22 Jun 2017, at 14:35, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Jun 2017, at 14:09, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Guys, I thought we were going to make the users list read-only, not disable
>> it completely. This is now what was discussed, AFAIK.
>
> Where did you see that? At least that’s not my proposal. My proposal is to make it read only.
>
>> Right now, I haven't received a mail on the users list since 12th of June.
>
> I haven’t made it readonly yet so I don’t know if it’s normal or not.

FTR just noticed 2 users have contacted me telling me they cannot post to the user list anymore. So someone must have changed something on the user list, but it’s not me :)

>> AFAIR, a proposed flow was to receive mails of the discussions and, if you
>> want to reply, you'd follow the reply link in the mail an open the
>> discourse browser window.
>>
>> So, only discourse could be able to publish to the list, all other list
>> users would get rejected.
>
> The proposal was:
> * Make the list readonly except for a given discourse user who’d have [hidden email] as its email so that we can still archive discussions done with discourse on markmail, nabble, etc.
>
> However:
> * I have configured a user having [hidden email] as its email and in “mailing list mode” but after it sends its first mail, the “mailing list mode” is automatically disabled and I don’t know why.
>
> Conclusion so far:
> * We need to make the list readonly. I’ll do this next week when I find some time.
> * I don’t know how to fix the issue listed above
> * In any case I don’t think it’s that important that we don’t archive discourse discussions on markmail so I’m fine with dropping this part.

>> Eduard

>>> When
>>> that
>>>
>>> Yes it’s possible and very easy to do: simply select the text you wish to
>>> reply to and you’ll see the option to reply to it :)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> the
>>> running

>>> have

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

Eduard Moraru
I would really like to still be able to use 1 tool, i.e. currently the mail
client, to read the mails for either devs or users. Sure, answering to
users should be done on discourse, but I would not like to have to juggle
yet another service.

I understand that what you describe seems like a bug. Did we try to report
it to discourse? On a quick google I'm unable to find such a behavior
described. We could try reporting it otherwise.

P.S.: I have re-enabled the "Enable mailing list mode" option to the
discourse mailman user. Will watch it to see when/if it gets disabled again.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would really like to still be able to use 1 tool, i.e. currently the mail
> client, to read the mails for either devs or users. Sure, answering to
> users should be done on discourse, but I would not like to have to juggle
> yet another service.

This does not have much to do with the users mailing list. As I
explained to you on IRC you can very well receive all discourse
messages by mail if you want which is exactly what I do (I never go to
forum.xwiki.org directly, only from some mail I received).

> I understand that what you describe seems like a bug. Did we try to report
> it to discourse? On a quick google I'm unable to find such a behavior
> described. We could try reporting it otherwise.
>
> P.S.: I have re-enabled the "Enable mailing list mode" option to the
> discourse mailman user. Will watch it to see when/if it gets disabled again.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

>> disable
>> >
>> > Where did you see that? At least that’s not my proposal. My proposal is
>> to make it read only.

>> June.
>> >
>> > I haven’t made it readonly yet so I don’t know if it’s normal or not.
>>
>> FTR just noticed 2 users have contacted me telling me they cannot post to
>> the user list anymore. So someone must have changed something on the user
>> list, but it’s not me :)

>> you

>> > The proposal was:
>> > * Make the list readonly except for a given discourse user who’d have
>> [hidden email] as its email so that we can still archive discussions done
>> with discourse on markmail, nabble, etc.
>> >
>> > However:
>> > * I have configured a user having [hidden email] as its email and in
>> “mailing list mode” but after it sends its first mail, the “mailing list
>> mode” is automatically disabled and I don’t know why.
>> >
>> > Conclusion so far:
>> > * We need to make the list readonly. I’ll do this next week when I find
>> some time.
>> > * I don’t know how to fix the issue listed above
>> > * In any case I don’t think it’s that important that we don’t archive
>> discourse discussions on markmail so I’m fine with dropping this part.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent

>> users

>> context if

>> much

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would really like to still be able to use 1 tool, i.e. currently the mail
>> client, to read the mails for either devs or users. Sure, answering to
>> users should be done on discourse, but I would not like to have to juggle
>> yet another service.
>
> This does not have much to do with the users mailing list. As I
> explained to you on IRC you can very well receive all discourse
> messages by mail if you want which is exactly what I do (I never go to
> forum.xwiki.org directly, only from some mail I received).
>

>> I understand that what you describe seems like a bug. Did we try to report
>> it to discourse? On a quick google I'm unable to find such a behavior
>> described. We could try reporting it otherwise.
>>

>> P.S.: I have re-enabled the "Enable mailing list mode" option to the
>> discourse mailman user. Will watch it to see when/if it gets disabled again.

I'm not a big fan of getting an close to unreadable duplicate of all
the discourse mails which is what I get right now.

We moved to a forum so let's live with it and let people decide if
they want mails not. If you want mails just enable them in your
profile.

Receiving all messages from forum.xwiki.org without having an account
there is really not a valid use case. If we want to store discourse
messages on markmail then let's give direct markmail mail to discourse
instead of going trough users mailing list which does not make any
sense.

>> Thanks,
>> Eduard

>>> disable

>>> to make it read only.

>>> June.

>>> FTR just noticed 2 users have contacted me telling me they cannot post to
>>> the user list anymore. So someone must have changed something on the user
>>> list, but it’s not me :)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> you

>>> [hidden email] as its email so that we can still archive discussions done
>>> with discourse on markmail, nabble, etc.

>>> “mailing list mode” but after it sends its first mail, the “mailing list
>>> mode” is automatically disabled and I don’t know why.

>>> some time.
>>> discourse discussions on markmail so I’m fine with dropping this part.

>>> users

>>> context if

>>> much

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

> On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:52, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I would really like to still be able to use 1 tool, i.e. currently the mail
>>> client, to read the mails for either devs or users. Sure, answering to
>>> users should be done on discourse, but I would not like to have to juggle
>>> yet another service.
>>
>> This does not have much to do with the users mailing list. As I
>> explained to you on IRC you can very well receive all discourse
>> messages by mail if you want which is exactly what I do (I never go to
>> forum.xwiki.org directly, only from some mail I received).
>>

>>> I understand that what you describe seems like a bug. Did we try to report
>>> it to discourse? On a quick google I'm unable to find such a behavior
>>> described. We could try reporting it otherwise.
>>>

>>> P.S.: I have re-enabled the "Enable mailing list mode" option to the
>>> discourse mailman user. Will watch it to see when/if it gets disabled again.
>
> I'm not a big fan of getting an close to unreadable duplicate of all
> the discourse mails which is what I get right now.

That could be fixed easily:
* Once the users list is read only we can remove the prefix in the mail
* We can also configure the list to support HTML

> We moved to a forum so let's live with it and let people decide if
> they want mails not. If you want mails just enable them in your
> profile.

Yep

> Receiving all messages from forum.xwiki.org without having an account
> there is really not a valid use case.

I agree

> If we want to store discourse
> messages on markmail then let's give direct markmail mail to discourse
> instead of going trough users mailing list which does not make any
> sense.

It has the advantages of distributing the archiving:
* markmail
* nabble
* gmane
* xwiki mailman archives
* etc

I don’t think there’s such a markmail email…

However, there’s a problem with Discourse as I mentioned (unless Edy found a solution).

Personally I’m fine with not archiving discourse discussions through mailing list archives. It makes a bit harder for users to search in one place but quickly over time it’ll be ok. It’ll also be a bit harder for stats but I guess we can handle that too…

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:52, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> mail
> juggle
> >>
> >> This does not have much to do with the users mailing list. As I
> >> explained to you on IRC you can very well receive all discourse
> >> messages by mail if you want which is exactly what I do (I never go to
> >> forum.xwiki.org directly, only from some mail I received).

> report

> again.
> >
> > I'm not a big fan of getting an close to unreadable duplicate of all
> > the discourse mails which is what I get right now.
>
> That could be fixed easily:
> * Once the users list is read only we can remove the prefix in the mail
> * We can also configure the list to support HTML
>
> > We moved to a forum so let's live with it and let people decide if
> > they want mails not. If you want mails just enable them in your
> > profile.
>
> Yep
>
> > Receiving all messages from forum.xwiki.org without having an account
> > there is really not a valid use case.
>
> I agree
>
> > If we want to store discourse
> > messages on markmail then let's give direct markmail mail to discourse
> > instead of going trough users mailing list which does not make any
> > sense.
>
> It has the advantages of distributing the archiving:
> * markmail
> * nabble
> * gmane
> * xwiki mailman archives
> * etc
>
> I don’t think there’s such a markmail email…
>
> However, there’s a problem with Discourse as I mentioned (unless Edy found
> a solution).

Did not look more, as right now the setting still seems to be on.

Thanks,
Eduard

> Personally I’m fine with not archiving discourse discussions through
> mailing list archives. It makes a bit harder for users to search in one
> place but quickly over time it’ll be ok. It’ll also be a bit harder for
> stats but I guess we can handle that too…

> is

> post to
> user

> if

> list

> done

> list

> find

> [hidden email]>

> the

> in-line?
> part

> wish

> sent on

> too
> and

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne
> >

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

Eduard Moraru
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I would really like to still be able to use 1 tool, i.e. currently the
> mail
> >> client, to read the mails for either devs or users. Sure, answering to
> >> users should be done on discourse, but I would not like to have to
> juggle
> >> yet another service.
> >
> > This does not have much to do with the users mailing list. As I
> > explained to you on IRC you can very well receive all discourse
> > messages by mail if you want which is exactly what I do (I never go to
> > forum.xwiki.org directly, only from some mail I received).
> >

> >> I understand that what you describe seems like a bug. Did we try to
> report
> >> it to discourse? On a quick google I'm unable to find such a behavior
> >> described. We could try reporting it otherwise.
> >>

> >> P.S.: I have re-enabled the "Enable mailing list mode" option to the
> >> discourse mailman user. Will watch it to see when/if it gets disabled
> again.
>
> I'm not a big fan of getting an close to unreadable duplicate of all
> the discourse mails which is what I get right now.
>
> We moved to a forum so let's live with it and let people decide if
> they want mails not. If you want mails just enable them in your
> profile.
>
> Receiving all messages from forum.xwiki.org without having an account
> there is really not a valid use case. If we want to store discourse
> messages on markmail then let's give direct markmail mail to discourse
> instead of going trough users mailing list which does not make any
> sense.

Sorry for the trouble, Thomas.

However, we could look at it the other way as well. If you have moved to
another way of receiving user emails (user setting on your forum profile),
maybe one option would be to unsubscribe from [hidden email] (once the
setup is complete and it is read-only). This would allow us to keep the
list archived and in use by people that still prefer it, while allowing
people that prefer direct mails from discourse to avoid being spammed by
both solutions.

Eduard

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:52, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Mortagne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This does not have much to do with the users mailing list. As I
>>> explained to you on IRC you can very well receive all discourse
>>> messages by mail if you want which is exactly what I do (I never go to
>>> forum.xwiki.org directly, only from some mail I received).

>> I'm not a big fan of getting an close to unreadable duplicate of all
>> the discourse mails which is what I get right now.
>
> That could be fixed easily:
> * Once the users list is read only we can remove the prefix in the mail
> * We can also configure the list to support HTML
>
>> We moved to a forum so let's live with it and let people decide if
>> they want mails not. If you want mails just enable them in your
>> profile.
>
> Yep
>
>> Receiving all messages from forum.xwiki.org without having an account
>> there is really not a valid use case.
>
> I agree
>
>> If we want to store discourse
>> messages on markmail then let's give direct markmail mail to discourse
>> instead of going trough users mailing list which does not make any
>> sense.
>
> It has the advantages of distributing the archiving:
> * markmail
> * nabble
> * gmane
> * xwiki mailman archives
> * etc
>
> I don’t think there’s such a markmail email…

Then how does markmail received the emails from the mailing list ?

> However, there’s a problem with Discourse as I mentioned (unless Edy found a solution).
>
> Personally I’m fine with not archiving discourse discussions through mailing list archives. It makes a bit harder for users to search in one place but quickly over time it’ll be ok. It’ll also be a bit harder for stats but I guess we can handle that too…

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

> On 23 Jun 2017, at 10:08, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:52, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I'm not a big fan of getting an close to unreadable duplicate of all
>>> the discourse mails which is what I get right now.
>>
>> That could be fixed easily:
>> * Once the users list is read only we can remove the prefix in the mail
>> * We can also configure the list to support HTML
>>
>>> We moved to a forum so let's live with it and let people decide if
>>> they want mails not. If you want mails just enable them in your
>>> profile.
>>
>> Yep
>>
>>> Receiving all messages from forum.xwiki.org without having an account
>>> there is really not a valid use case.
>>
>> I agree
>>
>>> If we want to store discourse
>>> messages on markmail then let's give direct markmail mail to discourse
>>> instead of going trough users mailing list which does not make any
>>> sense.
>>
>> It has the advantages of distributing the archiving:
>> * markmail
>> * nabble
>> * gmane
>> * xwiki mailman archives
>> * etc
>>
>> I don’t think there’s such a markmail email…
>
> Then how does markmail received the emails from the mailing list ?

It has a user subscribed to the list who receives the emails in its inbox (that’s how gmane works for ex).

From http://lucene.markmail.org/docs/faq.xqy:

How do you load the emails?

A Java program converts email to XML and loads them into MarkLogic Server. The program can load emails from an mbox archive or catch new emails as they come across the wire. We subscribe a user to each archived list in order to receive the new messages.
"

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> That could be fixed easily:
>>> * Once the users list is read only we can remove the prefix in the mail
>>> * We can also configure the list to support HTML

>>> Yep

>>> I agree

>>> It has the advantages of distributing the archiving:
>>> * markmail
>>> * nabble
>>> * gmane
>>> * xwiki mailman archives
>>> * etc
>>>
>>> I don’t think there’s such a markmail email…
>>
>> Then how does markmail received the emails from the mailing list ?
>
> It has a user subscribed to the list who receives the emails in its inbox (that’s how gmane works for ex).

So it does have an email (which is registered to the mailing list).

> From http://lucene.markmail.org/docs/faq.xqy:
>
> “
> How do you load the emails?
>
> A Java program converts email to XML and loads them into MarkLogic Server. The program can load emails from an mbox archive or catch new emails as they come across the wire. We subscribe a user to each archived list in order to receive the new messages.
> "

>>> However, there’s a problem with Discourse as I mentioned (unless Edy found a solution).
>>>
>>> Personally I’m fine with not archiving discourse discussions through mailing list archives. It makes a bit harder for users to search in one place but quickly over time it’ll be ok. It’ll also be a bit harder for stats but I guess we can handle that too…
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Make users list readonly?

> On 23 Jun 2017, at 10:49, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Then how does markmail received the emails from the mailing list ?
>>
>> It has a user subscribed to the list who receives the emails in its inbox (that’s how gmane works for ex).
>
> So it does have an email (which is registered to the mailing list).

Yes but you’re most likely not supposed to send direct emails to it. It probably has some protections. I guess you could simulate the same thing by including the list headers in the mails but it looks like a hack. The sender/from is also probably configured to be the users list.