[Proposal] Nearly remove Admin.WebHome

Jean-Vincent Drean
After seeing XE-14 [1] I've made a quick evaluation of what
Admin.WebHome contains, available here :
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RefactoringAdminWebHome

My suggestion is at the end of the document, I suggest to remove the
link to this page in the quicklinks panel and replace its content by a
small description since it would be useless after some minor additions
in the top menu.

WDYT ?

JV.

[1] : http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-14

Re: [Proposal] Nearly remove XWiki.WebHome

Hi JV and everyone,

On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> After seeing XE-14 [1] I've made a quick evaluation of what
> Admin.WebHome contains, available here :
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RefactoringAdminWebHome
>
> My suggestion is at the end of the document, I suggest to remove the
> link to this page in the quicklinks panel and replace its content by a
> small description since it would be useless after some minor additions
> in the top menu.
>
> WDYT ?

1) I think we need a control panel (a la windows for example). When
the user clicks on the "Administration" link in the top right corner
of the screen it goes to a page with a nice control panel (i.e. nice
icons). This Panel would replace the current Administration view with
tabs. Clicking on a control panel item will go to a special page
about that item.
2) I think we need everything that's about Admin in this control
panel, including Blogs, Photo Album, etc.
3) In the future the control panel would offer extension points for
apps to contribute items to it but right now we should hardcode items
for Blogs, Photo Album, etc. It's easy to know which ones to include
since this is inside XE and we control the default apps bundled in XE.
4) It would be great to get Laurent Lunati's help to design this
control panel.

Re: [Proposal] Nearly remove XWiki.WebHome

Jean-Vincent Drean
> 1) I think we need a control panel (a la windows for example). When
> the user clicks on the "Administration" link in the top right corner
> of the screen it goes to a page with a nice control panel (i.e. nice
> icons). This Panel would replace the current Administration view with
> tabs. Clicking on a control panel item will go to a special page
> about that item.

A control panel a la windows (and many apps & webapps) would be nice,
it's by far the most practical choice when applications can add items
into the general settings (where tabbed layouts can become a mess).
Just to clarify one point : I'm sure everyone agree to keep the core
administration within templates, accessible by the admin action.

Now it begs the question of the reusability of the wiki administration
templates for spaces administration.. 2 options from my POV :

1) Lighten a lot the preferences accessible from UI for spaces
(default language, parent, skin settings, default editor. for example)
and make their administration really different from the wiki one.
2) Have spaces control panels accessible from the main control panel

Obviously my choice goes to 1) :)

BTW I guess all this is Future and not 1.2M2, I'll create the design
entry for the record.

> 2) I think we need everything that's about Admin in this control
> panel, including Blogs, Photo Album, etc.
> 3) In the future the control panel would offer extension points for
> apps to contribute items to it but right now we should hardcode items
> for Blogs, Photo Album, etc. It's easy to know which ones to include
> since this is inside XE and we control the default apps bundled in XE.
> 4) It would be great to get Laurent Lunati's help to design this
> control panel.

+1.

JV.

Re: [Proposal] Nearly remove XWiki.WebHome

ebullient
On 10/9/07, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 1) I think we need a control panel (a la windows for example). When
> > the user clicks on the "Administration" link in the top right corner
> > of the screen it goes to a page with a nice control panel (i.e. nice
> > icons). This Panel would replace the current Administration view with
> > tabs. Clicking on a control panel item will go to a special page
> > about that item.
>
> A control panel a la windows (and many apps & webapps) would be nice,
> it's by far the most practical choice when applications can add items
> into the general settings (where tabbed layouts can become a mess).
> Just to clarify one point : I'm sure everyone agree to keep the core
> administration within templates, accessible by the admin action.
>
> Now it begs the question of the reusability of the wiki administration
> templates for spaces administration.. 2 options from my POV :
>
> 1) Lighten a lot the preferences accessible from UI for spaces
> (default language, parent, skin settings, default editor. for example)
> and make their administration really different from the wiki one.
> 2) Have spaces control panels accessible from the main control panel
>
> Obviously my choice goes to 1) :)

I would also very much prefer lighter preferences *in general*..  i.e.
break out the big xwiki preferences humungo thing into smaller bits
that can be disabled.. like registration. What if I don't want to
allow registration? It would be nice to set a value in xwiki.cfg, and
have all that registration stuff just disappear. Actually, the "Ad"
stuff is the real bother, I don't use ads. I'd rather not have to even
see them in the config panels.

Maybe from the main xwiki config panel, enable/disable things like
ads, blogs, photo album, etc. and if they're disabled, then ...

And what do you need to admin for the photo album anyway? Or blog, for
that matter.. it seems like this is mostly to get at the ClassSheet
and ClassTempate... it seems like a more generic mechanism would be
better, like just linking to XWikiClasses...

--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

2007/10/10, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]>:
> I would also very much prefer lighter preferences *in general*..  i.e.
> break out the big xwiki preferences humungo thing into smaller bits
> that can be disabled.. like registration. What if I don't want to
> allow registration? It would be nice to set a value in xwiki.cfg, and
> have all that registration stuff just disappear. Actually, the "Ad"
> stuff is the real bother, I don't use ads. I'd rather not have to even
> see them in the config panels.

Point taken for the ability to hide admin categories from the UI (in
xwiki.cfg for example).

> Maybe from the main xwiki config panel, enable/disable things like
> ads, blogs, photo album, etc. and if they're disabled, then ...

AFAIK the mid-term idea is to package the default xwiki wiki without
those apps (and let the admin add them later if desired).

> And what do you need to admin for the photo album anyway? Or blog, for
> that matter.. it seems like this is mostly to get at the ClassSheet
> and ClassTempate... it seems like a more generic mechanism would be
> better, like just linking to XWikiClasses...

Yep, FTM the links we have in XWiki.WebHome are a bit useless _but_
about your examples (mid/long-term again):
- blog : categories, captcha yes/no, etc
- photo album : nb of pics per page per example.

JV.