[Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

[Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

In 2009 we launched a survey on xwiki.org:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009

The results were published here:
- http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Features+Survey+Results
- http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119

The idea is to do that same with a new survey. Benjamin Lanciaux (from XWiki SAS) has prepared one here:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012

Please let me know if you're ok and I'll send the survey on the user list.

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Florin Ciubotaru-2
Hi,

The new survey looks good overall. I see some interesting points in there.

A few observations below,

Content:
- there are a lot of discussed items. A regular user(xwiki admin, etc) will
have less points of interest, should be easy for him to spot and vote on
them.
- the title suggests a "Features Survey", but some questions seem to ask
the urgency of a fix for a known bug or limitation

Layout/Behavior:
- I like the item categorization/themes. Maybe the categories should also
be listed on the first page to tease or keep the user interested;
- pagination could prevent then user from seeing a category he's interested
in;
- not a big fan of the term 'Themes' - probably not written by a tech guy.
Starting to mean something else in IT, especially when used on plural;
- the page feels a bit slow and the user needs to scroll and switch the
page to move forward. Ideally he should do only one of those actions;
- it's not clear if the user needs to explicitly click(vote) on each item
or if the system defaults to zero. The goal is not to get an answer on each
item, but on those of interest for the user;
- some items have long titles or descriptions, all written in upper case.

Bugs:
- there are some unnecessary vertical and horizontal scroll bars inside the
page
- the content is in English while the buttons are in French
- encoding issue on the "Page précédente" button
- default text on the last page select is in French while the other
displayed values are in English
- a submit button is displayed while the page is loading

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

On 01/23/2012 12:19 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> In 2009 we launched a survey on xwiki.org:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
>
> The results were published here:
> - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Features+Survey+Results
> - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>
> The idea is to do that same with a new survey. Benjamin Lanciaux (from XWiki SAS) has prepared one here:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
>
> Please let me know if you're ok and I'll send the survey on the user list.

On top of Florin's remarks, I'd like to add that, in my opinion, the
themes are not that well composed.

Applications and App Store mixes several different things. On one hand
it includes something as generic as "More apps bundled", then it goes to
something as specific as "Glossary". Plus, it includes the "XWiki
Network" which isn't something that the open source community handles.
Why are there only two specific apps mentioned? Was it somehow
determined that these are the most important apps requested by the
community?

Dev Tools: I'm not sure we should have this section at all. What is the
target of this survey? People that can understand and have an opinion on
this section aren't casual users. We're mixing user-facing features and
platform internals. Most of the items proposed here, like the new data
model or interface extensions, can only be evaluated by experienced
committers. Others, such as "Syntax coloring" and "Livetable
improvements", might fit better in the "User dev tools" section. There
is a risk that these very technical items be considered important only
by a handful of committers, thus getting a very low score, although they
are a precondition for implementing other features proposed in the
survey. Typo: "Translate->Translatable document objects".

Quality: This is another section that seems to mix a broad range of
topics, from UI/UX improvements to internal aspects like LDAP, and build
stuff like automated integration tests. Maybe instead of "Run Automated
UI Tests..." we should say something that most users can relate to, such
as "Better quality assurance for the supported browsers and databases".
Why is multipage export related to quality? And will users understand
the difference between this multipage export and the one in the "Wiki
Management" section? Typo: "Sync big (more then->than 2000 users)
LDAP/AD groups".

Ease of Use: I don't see the difference between some of the items here
and items from the previous category.

Help: I'd rename this section "Documentation". For "Shortcut help" I'd
link to the design page where it's pretty neatly detailed.

Universal Access: This should be renamed to Mobile Access, since it only
lists mobile-related items. "Universal" access implies more than a
phone, and should include stuff like better support for R2L languages,
better support for screen readers, a voice stylesheet, better stylesheet
for print, stylesheets for small screens and for TVs. If you want to
keep the "Universal Access" title, then some of the items I mentioned
should be included in the survey as well.

Wiki Management: What's the difference between "Multipage Export" from
the Quality section, "Multipage Export UI" and "Better Wiki Import/Export"?

What kind of user are you: What does "developer" mean? Is it a committer
developing the XWiki platform itself, or idoes it refer to external
users that develop applications on top of XWiki for their own wikis /
for their employers?

We should include a final big textarea where users can write any
comments they'd like to share with us.

In general:
- too many abbreviations
- I'd link most of the items to their associated Jira issue or design
page, if they have one
- some items are too cryptic or broad, like "Messaging UI" or "Improve
print option", while others are too long, like "New data model for
accessing and manipulating XWiki entities (needed for nested spaces for
ex, global versioning, rights on XObjects, translations on XObjects, etc)"

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> related to quality? And will users understand the difference between this
> multipage export and the one in the "Wiki Management" section? Typo: "Sync
> big (more then->than 2000 users) LDAP/AD groups".
>
> Ease of Use: I don't see the difference between some of the items here and
> items from the previous category.
>
> Help: I'd rename this section "Documentation". For "Shortcut help" I'd link
> to the design page where it's pretty neatly detailed.
>

> Universal Access: This should be renamed to Mobile Access, since it only
> lists mobile-related items. "Universal" access implies more than a phone,
> and should include stuff like better support for R2L languages, better
> support for screen readers, a voice stylesheet, better stylesheet for print,
> stylesheets for small screens and for TVs. If you want to keep the
> "Universal Access" title, then some of the items I mentioned should be

I don't think it's bad to have a generic category name as "Universal
access" even if we list only mobile related items. For me this is an
open door for users to suggest features in that domain. Listing other
items is not bad either but may send the wrong message that there is
already someone (e.g. XWiki SAS) interested in implementing that
feature, which might not be true.

> Wiki Management: What's the difference between "Multipage Export" from the
> Quality section, "Multipage Export UI" and "Better Wiki Import/Export"?
>
> What kind of user are you: What does "developer" mean? Is it a committer
> developing the XWiki platform itself, or idoes it refer to external users
> that develop applications on top of XWiki for their own wikis / for their
> employers?
>
> We should include a final big textarea where users can write any comments
> they'd like to share with us.
>

> In general:
> - too many abbreviations
> - I'd link most of the items to their associated Jira issue or design page,
> if they have one
> - some items are too cryptic or broad, like "Messaging UI" or "Improve print
> option", while others are too long, like "New data model for accessing and
> manipulating XWiki entities (needed for nested spaces for ex, global
> versioning, rights on XObjects, translations on XObjects, etc)"
>
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 01/24/2012 02:53 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> [...]
>> to the design page where it's pretty neatly detailed.
>>

>> Universal Access: This should be renamed to Mobile Access, since it only
>> lists mobile-related items. "Universal" access implies more than a phone,
>> and should include stuff like better support for R2L languages, better
>> support for screen readers, a voice stylesheet, better stylesheet for print,
>> stylesheets for small screens and for TVs. If you want to keep the
>> "Universal Access" title, then some of the items I mentioned should be
>> included in the survey as well.
>
> I don't think it's bad to have a generic category name as "Universal
> access" even if we list only mobile related items. For me this is an
> open door for users to suggest features in that domain. Listing other
> items is not bad either but may send the wrong message that there is
> already someone (e.g. XWiki SAS) interested in implementing that

I would like to work on that, although I don't think it's a priority.

> Thanks,
> Marius
>

>> Wiki Management: What's the difference between "Multipage Export" from the
>> Quality section, "Multipage Export UI" and "Better Wiki Import/Export"?
>>
>> What kind of user are you: What does "developer" mean? Is it a committer
>> developing the XWiki platform itself, or idoes it refer to external users
>> that develop applications on top of XWiki for their own wikis / for their
>> employers?
>>
>> We should include a final big textarea where users can write any comments
>> they'd like to share with us.
>>

>> In general:
>> - too many abbreviations
>> - I'd link most of the items to their associated Jira issue or design page,
>> if they have one
>> - some items are too cryptic or broad, like "Messaging UI" or "Improve print
>> option", while others are too long, like "New data model for accessing and
>> manipulating XWiki entities (needed for nested spaces for ex, global
>> versioning, rights on XObjects, translations on XObjects, etc)"

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Benjamin Lanciaux
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.

This survey has been implemented thanks to the roadmap meeting we had early
january.
The "themes" and the features are the ones discussed during the meeting.
If you think an important feature/theme is missing, please tell me.

About the reported bugs, they are all fixed (language, scroll bars etc.).
That was due to a bad html import in xwiki.org whereas it worked well
everywhere else.

Concerning this survey, it is built with Formassembly - a poll software -
which has some constraints.
It offers few options that is why all the questions are built with radio
buttons.
Anyway, this survey is built on the same pattern as the previous one :
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
that will be easier to compare results.

You can check the survey by clicking on the following link :
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012

Thanks for helping

Benjamin

2012/1/24 Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>

> [...]
>>> developing the XWiki platform itself, or idoes it refer to external users
>>> that develop applications on top of XWiki for their own wikis / for their
>>> employers?
>>>
>>> We should include a final big textarea where users can write any comments
>>> they'd like to share with us.
>>>

>>> In general:
>>> - too many abbreviations
>>> - I'd link most of the items to their associated Jira issue or design
>>> page,
>>> if they have one
>>> - some items are too cryptic or broad, like "Messaging UI" or "Improve
>>> print
>>> option", while others are too long, like "New data model for accessing
>>> and
>>> manipulating XWiki entities (needed for nested spaces for ex, global
>>> versioning, rights on XObjects, translations on XObjects, etc)"

Benjamin Lanciaux
Marketing XWiki
Skype : benjaminxwiki

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Florin Ciubotaru-2
Hi Benjamin,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Benjamin Lanciaux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
> [..]
> About the reported bugs, they are all fixed (language, scroll bars etc.).
> That was due to a bad html import in xwiki.org whereas it worked well
> everywhere else.
> [..]
>
> You can check the survey by clicking on the following link :
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012

Indeed, it looks a lot better now.

I'd suggest two small tweaks:
- potentially highlight a bit the listed sections/themes
- if possible, push the bold recommendations text below the XWiki icon

Regards,
Florin

> Thanks for helping
>
> Benjamin
>
> 2012/1/24 Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
>
> > On 01/24/2012 02:53 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009>

> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/**bin/view/Blog/Features+Survey+**Results<
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Features+Survey+Results>
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119>

> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012>

> it

> on
> committers.
> fit
> committers,

> this

> >>  Universal Access: This should be renamed to Mobile Access, since it
> only
> phone,
> >>>

> >> I don't think it's bad to have a generic category name as "Universal
> >> access" even if we list only mobile related items. For me this is an
> >> open door for users to suggest features in that domain. Listing other
> >> items is not bad either but may send the wrong message that there is
> >> already someone (e.g. XWiki SAS) interested in implementing that
> >> feature, which might not be true.
> >>

> > I would like to work on that, although I don't think it's a priority.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >> Marius

> committer
> users
> their

> comments

> > --
> > Sergiu Dumitriu
> > http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

> Benjamin Lanciaux
> Marketing XWiki
> Skype : benjaminxwiki

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

ok seems we're ready to send it.

I'll send it to the users list this afternoon.

Please shout before if you have any remaining concern! :)

On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:19 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> In 2009 we launched a survey on xwiki.org:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
>
> The results were published here:
> - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Features+Survey+Results
> - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>
> The idea is to do that same with a new survey. Benjamin Lanciaux (from XWiki SAS) has prepared one here:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
>
> Please let me know if you're ok and I'll send the survey on the user list.

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Roman Muntyanu
Some features which might seem cosmic at present but would be really great to have
 * Implement "google docs" (documents, spreadsheets, presentations, diagrams and advanced surveys). Concurrent edits.
 * Implement "google hangout" with ability to record sessions (chat, voice, video, screen sharing).
 * Integrate XWiki with some Agile project management tool or develop an agile project management extension (time tracking, requirements management).

I'll send it to the users list this afternoon.

Please shout before if you have any remaining concern! :)

On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:19 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> In 2009 we launched a survey on xwiki.org:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
>
> The results were published here:
> - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Features+Survey+Results
> - http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>
> The idea is to do that same with a new survey. Benjamin Lanciaux (from XWiki SAS) has prepared one here:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
>
> Please let me know if you're ok and I'll send the survey on the user list.

Re: [Proposal] New Feature survey for the 4.x cycle and beyond

Roman,

On Jan 25, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Roman Muntyanu wrote:

> Some features which might seem cosmic at present but would be really great to have
> * Implement "google docs" (documents, spreadsheets, presentations, diagrams and advanced surveys). Concurrent edits.
> * Implement "google hangout" with ability to record sessions (chat, voice, video, screen sharing).
> * Integrate XWiki with some Agile project management tool or develop an agile project management extension (time tracking, requirements management).

wait, wait you'll be able to add them when you take the survey! :)

lol
I'm always too hasty :)

On 01/25/2012 04:10 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> ok seems we're ready to send it.
>
> I'll send it to the users list this afternoon.
>
> Please shout before if you have any remaining concern! :)

I was wondering if the email address is really needed (especially as a
mandatory field). Some people, like me, prefer not to give their email
address to online surveys.

On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 01/25/2012 04:10 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>> ok seems we're ready to send it.
>>
>> I'll send it to the users list this afternoon.
>>
>> Please shout before if you have any remaining concern! :)
>>

> I was wondering if the email address is really needed (especially as a mandatory field). Some people, like me, prefer not to give their email address to online surveys.

It should definitely not be mandatory IMO since that won't prevent a user from filling the survey several times.