[Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

[Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Silvia Rusu
Hi devs,

In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
features to have in XWiki in priority:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
(results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
)
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
(results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
)

I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
I took
2012's survey content as a model and created a new version for 2013:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013

The results of the survey would be published on xwiki.org and shared
with the committers list.
I built the form using Google Docs, since they offer a nice free
solution. However there's a limitation when it comes to sending
notifications for the form. A Google account would be needed for the
committers@ list in order to be able to send notifications to it each
time the form is filled in. Is it possible for such an account to be
created? Alternatively, I can send a detailed summary to the list when
the survey comes to an end (beginning of February), since I will be
working on a summary for xwiki.org.

Please let me know if you're OK with sending the survey to the users
list and if so, which alternative you prefer for the
notifications/update on the results. If the response is positive I'll
send the survey on the users list.

Thanks,
Silvia
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Hi Silvia,

On 16 Dec 2013 at 15:42:08, Silvia Rusu ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
> features to have in XWiki in priority:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
> (results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> )
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
> (results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
> )
>
> I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
> to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
> I took
> 2012's survey content as a model and created a new version for 2013:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013

Sounds like a good idea :)

> The results of the survey would be published on xwiki.org and shared
> with the committers list.
> I built the form using Google Docs, since they offer a nice free
> solution. However there's a limitation when it comes to sending
> notifications for the form. A Google account would be needed for the
> committers@ list in order to be able to send notifications to it each
> time the form is filled in. Is it possible for such an account to be
> created? Alternatively, I can send a detailed summary to the list when
> the survey comes to an end (beginning of February), since I will be
> working on a summary for xwiki.org.

I don’t have a strong opinion on this. Obviously it would be better if the results were sent to the committers list IMO. However creating some account for the XWiki Committers would be a maintenance headache.

So I guess I’d be more in favor of letting you gather the results and posting the full results on a blog post on xwiki.org when the survey closes.

BTW what would be duration of the survey? We need some end date.

> Please let me know if you're OK with sending the survey to the users
> list and if so, which alternative you prefer for the
> notifications/update on the results. If the response is positive I'll
> send the survey on the users list.
>
> Thanks,
> Silvia

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Silvia Rusu
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My proposal for the end date is January 31. This
is also the date I mention in the survey. I would summarize the
results at the beginning of February. I can also do intermediary
summaries before that, but it would be nice to run the survey for at
least a month and a half (half December + full January), as the
holidays are approaching.

WDYT?
Silvia

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Silvia,
>
> On 16 Dec 2013 at 15:42:08, Silvia Rusu ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
>> features to have in XWiki in priority:
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
>> (results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>> )
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
>> (results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
>> )
>>
>> I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
>> to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
>> I took
>> 2012's survey content as a model and created a new version for 2013:
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013
>
> Sounds like a good idea :)
>
>> The results of the survey would be published on xwiki.org and shared
>> with the committers list.
>> I built the form using Google Docs, since they offer a nice free
>> solution. However there's a limitation when it comes to sending
>> notifications for the form. A Google account would be needed for the
>> committers@ list in order to be able to send notifications to it each
>> time the form is filled in. Is it possible for such an account to be
>> created? Alternatively, I can send a detailed summary to the list when
>> the survey comes to an end (beginning of February), since I will be
>> working on a summary for xwiki.org.
>
> I don’t have a strong opinion on this. Obviously it would be better if the results were sent to the committers list IMO. However creating some account for the XWiki Committers would be a maintenance headache.
>
> So I guess I’d be more in favor of letting you gather the results and posting the full results on a blog post on xwiki.org when the survey closes.
>
> BTW what would be duration of the survey? We need some end date.

>> Please let me know if you're OK with sending the survey to the users
>> list and if so, which alternative you prefer for the
>> notifications/update on the results. If the response is positive I'll
>> send the survey on the users list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Silvia

Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Manuel Smeria-2
+1 for the survey

Thanks,
Manuel

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> working on a summary for xwiki.org.
> >
> > I don’t have a strong opinion on this. Obviously it would be better if
> the results were sent to the committers list IMO. However creating some
> account for the XWiki Committers would be a maintenance headache.
> >
> > So I guess I’d be more in favor of letting you gather the results and
> posting the full results on a blog post on xwiki.org when the survey
> closes.
> >
> > BTW what would be duration of the survey? We need some end date.

> >> Please let me know if you're OK with sending the survey to the users
> >> list and if so, which alternative you prefer for the
> >> notifications/update on the results. If the response is positive I'll
> >> send the survey on the users list.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Silvia

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Guillaume Lerouge-3
+1 for the survey as well.

Guillaume

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Manuel Smeria <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for the survey
>
> Thanks,
> Manuel
>

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. My proposal for the end date is January 31. This
> > is also the date I mention in the survey. I would summarize the
> > results at the beginning of February. I can also do intermediary
> > summaries before that, but it would be nice to run the survey for at
> > least a month and a half (half December + full January), as the
> > holidays are approaching.
> >
> > WDYT?
> > Silvia
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Silvia,
> > >
> > > On 16 Dec 2013 at 15:42:08, Silvia Rusu ([hidden email](mailto:
> //

> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204

> > > Sounds like a good idea :)

> > > I don’t have a strong opinion on this. Obviously it would be better if
> > the results were sent to the committers list IMO. However creating some
> > account for the XWiki Committers would be a maintenance headache.
> > >
> > > So I guess I’d be more in favor of letting you gather the results and
> > posting the full results on a blog post on xwiki.org when the survey
> > closes.
> > >
> > > BTW what would be duration of the survey? We need some end date.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Benjamin Lanciaux
+1 as well

Benjamin Lanciaux
Marketing Project Manager @XWiki SAS
Skype : benjaminxwiki
Tel : +33 (0)1.45.42.40.90

2013/12/18 Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>

> +1 for the survey as well.
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Manuel Smeria <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 for the survey
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Manuel
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply. My proposal for the end date is January 31. This
> > > is also the date I mention in the survey. I would summarize the
> > > results at the beginning of February. I can also do intermediary
> > > summaries before that, but it would be nice to run the survey for at
> > > least a month and a half (half December + full January), as the
> > > holidays are approaching.
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > > Silvia
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM, [hidden email] <
> [hidden email]>

> (mailto:
> > //

> > > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> > > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204

> order
> roadmap.

> shared
> each
> when

> if
> > > the results were sent to the committers list IMO. However creating some
> > > account for the XWiki Committers would be a maintenance headache.

> > > posting the full results on a blog post on xwiki.org when the survey
> > > closes.

> I'll

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

+1

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
> features to have in XWiki in priority:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
> (results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> )
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
> (results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
> )
>
> I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
> to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
> I took
> 2012's survey content as a model and created a new version for 2013:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013
>
> The results of the survey would be published on xwiki.org and shared
> with the committers list.
> I built the form using Google Docs, since they offer a nice free
> solution. However there's a limitation when it comes to sending
> notifications for the form. A Google account would be needed for the
> committers@ list in order to be able to send notifications to it each
> time the form is filled in. Is it possible for such an account to be
> created? Alternatively, I can send a detailed summary to the list when
> the survey comes to an end (beginning of February), since I will be
> working on a summary for xwiki.org.
>
> Please let me know if you're OK with sending the survey to the users
> list and if so, which alternative you prefer for the
> notifications/update on the results. If the response is positive I'll
> send the survey on the users list.
>
> Thanks,
> Silvia

Re: [Proposal] New Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Silvia Rusu
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I am sending the survey to the users list.