[Proposal] Put the "Search" icon to the left of the "Watchlist" icon in the top menu

[Proposal] Put the "Search" icon to the left of the "Watchlist" icon in the top menu

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Devs,

a minor suggestion after trying a 7.4 snapshot locally: shouldn't we put
the search icon before the watchlist icon?

Right now clicking the search icon moves the watchlist icon laterally,
which is a bit surprising => if the search icon was leftmost, this would
not be a problem. WDYT?

Thanks,

Guillaume

Re: [Proposal] Put the "Search" icon to the left of the "Watchlist" icon in the top menu

Eduard Moraru
:)

+1, as previously agreed that expandable items (i.e. search) should be on
the left to avoid jumping UI elements.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> a minor suggestion after trying a 7.4 snapshot locally: shouldn't we put
> the search icon before the watchlist icon?
>
> Right now clicking the search icon moves the watchlist icon laterally,
> which is a bit surprising => if the search icon was leftmost, this would
> not be a problem. WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume

Re: [Proposal] Put the "Search" icon to the left of the "Watchlist" icon in the top menu

I agree that if we expand the search input then it should be on the left.

An alternative is to have a fixed search icon on the right (as in the mac icon bar for example) and open a popup when clicking it (same as spotlight search on mac). Or some search input displayed below the search icon as in FF.

:)

wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> a minor suggestion after trying a 7.4 snapshot locally: shouldn't we put
> the search icon before the watchlist icon?
>
> Right now clicking the search icon moves the watchlist icon laterally,
> which is a bit surprising => if the search icon was leftmost, this would
> not be a problem. WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume

Re: [Proposal] Put the "Search" icon to the left of the "Watchlist" icon in the top menu

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
Issue created: http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12906

> I agree that if we expand the search input then it should be on the left.
>
> An alternative is to have a fixed search icon on the right (as in the mac
> icon bar for example) and open a popup when clicking it (same as spotlight
> search on mac). Or some search input displayed below the search icon as in
> FF.

> On 23 Nov 2015 at 15:33:40, Eduard Moraru ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> :)
>
> +1, as previously agreed that expandable items (i.e. search) should be on
> the left to avoid jumping UI elements.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Devs,
> >
> > a minor suggestion after trying a 7.4 snapshot locally: shouldn't we put
> > the search icon before the watchlist icon?
> >
> > Right now clicking the search icon moves the watchlist icon laterally,
> > which is a bit surprising => if the search icon was leftmost, this would
> > not be a problem. WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guillaume

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])