[Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

[Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

We’re currently using http://www.openjs.com/scripts/events/keyboard_shortcuts/ but it has some limitations. Clement and I tried to find some unused combinations of keys that works on Mac and Unix and we couldn’t find any that worked with it. It also doesn’t support having combinations with several letters for example.

For example we could imagine having H+H+H for turning on/off hidden documents (as a developer key sequence since it’s not a user use case).

I’d like to propose using https://dmauro.github.io/Keypress/ which is under the Apache 2 license and that seems to work well on Mac and Unix and it’s very powerful.

See sequence combos for example.

The API look simple and nice and I don’t think it would be hard to continue support our data structure inside the “shortcuts” variable to make it work with it.

Re: [Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

+0

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We’re currently using http://www.openjs.com/scripts/
> events/keyboard_shortcuts/ but it has some limitations. Clement and I
> tried to find some unused combinations of keys that works on Mac and Unix
> and we couldn’t find any that worked with it. It also doesn’t support
> having combinations with several letters for example.
>
> For example we could imagine having H+H+H for turning on/off hidden
> documents (as a developer key sequence since it’s not a user use case).
>
> I’d like to propose using https://dmauro.github.io/Keypress/ which is
> under the Apache 2 license and that seems to work well on Mac and Unix and
> it’s very powerful.
>
> See sequence combos for example.
>
> The API look simple and nice and I don’t think it would be hard to
> continue support our data structure inside the “shortcuts” variable to make
> it work with it.

Re: [Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

Alexandru Cotiuga
+0

Thanks,
Alex

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +0
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We’re currently using http://www.openjs.com/scripts/
> > events/keyboard_shortcuts/ but it has some limitations. Clement and I
> > tried to find some unused combinations of keys that works on Mac and Unix
> > and we couldn’t find any that worked with it. It also doesn’t support
> > having combinations with several letters for example.
> >
> > For example we could imagine having H+H+H for turning on/off hidden
> > documents (as a developer key sequence since it’s not a user use case).
> >
> > I’d like to propose using https://dmauro.github.io/Keypress/ which is
> > under the Apache 2 license and that seems to work well on Mac and Unix
> and
> > it’s very powerful.
> >
> > See sequence combos for example.
> >
> > The API look simple and nice and I don’t think it would be hard to
> > continue support our data structure inside the “shortcuts” variable to
> make
> > it work with it.
> >
> > WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

Clément Aubin
+1

Thanks,

--
Clément Aubin
Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+0

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks,
>
> On 07/31/2017 10:27 AM, Alexandru Cotiuga wrote:
> > +0
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +0
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Marius

> Unix

> >> and

> >> make

> --
> Clément Aubin
> Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

Paul Libbrecht-2

Really a good idea to address this!
So my +1.

However, I think it would get more +1 if “see sequence combos for example” is made clear to me.
My problem with the current keybinding is that it conflicts with things which I expect to work in each web-page. In particular cmd-G which I expect to be “find next” and which works on all websites I regularly use except XWikis.

thanks in advance.

Paul

> On 26 Jul 2017, at 22:50, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> We’re currently using http://www.openjs.com/scripts/events/keyboard_shortcuts/ but it has some limitations. Clement and I tried to find some unused combinations of keys that works on Mac and Unix and we couldn’t find any that worked with it. It also doesn’t support having combinations with several letters for example.
>
> For example we could imagine having H+H+H for turning on/off hidden documents (as a developer key sequence since it’s not a user use case).
>
> I’d like to propose using https://dmauro.github.io/Keypress/ which is under the Apache 2 license and that seems to work well on Mac and Unix and it’s very powerful.
>
> See sequence combos for example.
>
> The API look simple and nice and I don’t think it would be hard to continue support our data structure inside the “shortcuts” variable to make it work with it.

Re: [Proposal] Replace OpenJS Keyboard JS with Keypress JS for handling keyboard shoirtcuts

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Maybe with the new library we can make cheat codes like "CTRL + X + W + i+
k+ i + D + e + v + T + e + a +m + R + o +x" in order to take over the wiki
:)