[Proposal] Roadmap for 5.4 and 5.5

Here’s a proposal for the 5.4 and 5.5 *stabilization* releases.

General goals: Finish all big domains started in the 5.x cycle.

Content
======

* Continue fixing and stabilizing:
** EM/DW - Thomas/Marius
** SOLR Search - Marius
** Multiwiki - GuillaumeD
** Scalable import/export + Confluence import - Thomas
* Script signing - Denis
* Continue BFD but with a priority of fixing issues for the 5.x cycle (i.e. issues from the listed domains above). Also since we’re stabilizing, nothing dangerous should be committed and if a dev is not 100% sure about the consequences of what he’s doing he should raise it and ask for reviews (possibly go through pull requests).

Here’s an ordered of important JIRA issue (top priority first). The goal is to try to do the maximum but it’s a best effort and some issues are too dangerous/complex for the 5.x cycle:
- When upgrading a wiki, do not display what happened (files edited, etc.) in the Activity Stream - XWIKI-8765
- Scheduler / Watchlist activity shouldn't add a version to the page. Huge xwikircs table and terrible performances when reading it.
- Creating an object changes the content author - XWIKI-9292
- Support 2 roles for users for app within minutes: application creator and data creator - XWIKI-8757
- Make several separate blogs in one xwiki - XWIKI-6348
- Wysiwyg no image resizing on Chrome
- xwiki.cfg & xwiki.properties merging
- Add default column and sort choices in AppWithinMinutes livetable setting  XWIKI-9659
- Save & view a section should go to the section anchor instead of the top of the document  XE-1335
- Activity Stream should not show deleted documents that was hidden.  - XWIKI-9544
- Add a message for the Livetable's empty state - XWIKI-7821
- "Space Templates" should also create the space preferences page - XWIKI-9712
- The Wiki UIExtensions should check the rights before executing extension points - XWIKI-9156

Please add more if you’re planning to work on something not listed.

Investigations:
- Investigation bugs specific IE10/IE11 - Sorin/Manuel. Depending on the result we may want to add support for IE10 in 5.5.x.

Dates
=====

One goal is to try to keep 5.x cycle as close to 2013 as possible so that we can align cycles on calendar years and have a 6.x final at the end of 2014...

Proposal 1:
=========

- 5.4M1: 30th of Dec
- 5.4RC1: 13th of Jan 2014
- 5.4 Final: 20th of Jan 2014

- 5.5M1: 27th of Jan 2014
- 5.5RC1: 10th of Feb 2014
- 5.5 Final: 17th of Feb 2014

Proposal 2:
=========

Group together 5.4 and 5.5 and increase timeframe of 5.4 and have bugfix release of 5.5 if needed.

- 5.4M1: 6th of Jan 2014
- 5.4RC1: 20th of Jan 2014
- 5.4Final: 27th of Jan 2014

This solution allows us to end the 5.x cycle in Jan 2014 as planned and start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as bug fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for 5.4 and 5.5

I think I prefer proposal 2 more. +1 for the planned content.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Proposal 1:
> =========
>
> - 5.4M1: 30th of Dec
> - 5.4RC1: 13th of Jan 2014
> - 5.4 Final: 20th of Jan 2014
>
> - 5.5M1: 27th of Jan 2014
> - 5.5RC1: 10th of Feb 2014
> - 5.5 Final: 17th of Feb 2014
>
> Proposal 2:
> =========
>
> Group together 5.4 and 5.5 and increase timeframe of 5.4 and have bugfix release of 5.5 if needed.
>
> - 5.4M1: 6th of Jan 2014
> - 5.4RC1: 20th of Jan 2014
> - 5.4Final: 27th of Jan 2014
>
> This solution allows us to end the 5.x cycle in Jan 2014 as planned and start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as bug fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
Because of the holidays, I think if we follow the proposal 1, we would have
quite nothing in 5.4.

That is why I prefer the proposal 2.

2013/12/9 Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> of 2014...
> >
> > Proposal 1:
> > =========
> >
> > - 5.4M1: 30th of Dec
> > - 5.4RC1: 13th of Jan 2014
> > - 5.4 Final: 20th of Jan 2014
> >
> > - 5.5M1: 27th of Jan 2014
> > - 5.5RC1: 10th of Feb 2014
> > - 5.5 Final: 17th of Feb 2014
> >
> > Proposal 2:
> > =========
> >
> > Group together 5.4 and 5.5 and increase timeframe of 5.4 and have bugfix
> release of 5.5 if needed.
> >
> > - 5.4M1: 6th of Jan 2014
> > - 5.4RC1: 20th of Jan 2014
> > - 5.4Final: 27th of Jan 2014
> >
> > This solution allows us to end the 5.x cycle in Jan 2014 as planned and
> start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as bug
> fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1 for 2

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> end
> > of 2014...
> > >
> > > Proposal 1:
> > > =========
> > >
> > > - 5.4M1: 30th of Dec
> > > - 5.4RC1: 13th of Jan 2014
> > > - 5.4 Final: 20th of Jan 2014
> > >
> > > - 5.5M1: 27th of Jan 2014
> > > - 5.5RC1: 10th of Feb 2014
> > > - 5.5 Final: 17th of Feb 2014
> > >
> > > Proposal 2:
> > > =========
> > >
> > > Group together 5.4 and 5.5 and increase timeframe of 5.4 and have
> bugfix
> > release of 5.5 if needed.
> > >
> > > - 5.4M1: 6th of Jan 2014
> > > - 5.4RC1: 20th of Jan 2014
> > > - 5.4Final: 27th of Jan 2014
> > >
> > > This solution allows us to end the 5.x cycle in Jan 2014 as planned and
> > start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as bug
> > fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> of 2014...
>> >
>> > Proposal 1:
>> > =========
>> >
>> > - 5.4M1: 30th of Dec
>> > - 5.4RC1: 13th of Jan 2014
>> > - 5.4 Final: 20th of Jan 2014
>> >
>> > - 5.5M1: 27th of Jan 2014
>> > - 5.5RC1: 10th of Feb 2014
>> > - 5.5 Final: 17th of Feb 2014
>> >
>> > Proposal 2:
>> > =========
>> >
>> > Group together 5.4 and 5.5 and increase timeframe of 5.4 and have bugfix
>> release of 5.5 if needed.
>> >
>> > - 5.4M1: 6th of Jan 2014
>> > - 5.4RC1: 20th of Jan 2014
>> > - 5.4Final: 27th of Jan 2014
>> >
>> > This solution allows us to end the 5.x cycle in Jan 2014 as planned and
>> start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as bug
>> fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

Denis Gervalle-2
+1 for 2 as well.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for 2
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Because of the holidays, I think if we follow the proposal 1, we would
> have
> > quite nothing in 5.4.
> >
> > That is why I prefer the proposal 2.
> >

> > 2013/12/9 Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > I think I prefer proposal 2 more. +1 for the planned content.

> > > (i.e. issues from the listed domains above). Also since we’re
> > stabilizing,
> > > nothing dangerous should be committed and if a dev is not 100% sure
> about
> > > the consequences of what he’s doing he should raise it and ask for
> > reviews
> > > (possibly go through pull requests).

> > goal
> > > is to try to do the maximum but it’s a best effort and some issues are
> > too
> > > dangerous/complex for the 5.x cycle:
> > > etc.) in the Activity Stream - XWIKI-8765
> > > Huge xwikircs table and terrible performances when reading it.
> creator
> > > and data creator - XWIKI-8757
> > > setting  XWIKI-9659
> the
> > > top of the document  XE-1335
>  -
> > > XWIKI-9544
> > > XWIKI-9712
> > > extension points - XWIKI-9156

> > the
> > > result we may want to add support for IE10 in 5.5.x.

> > > that we can align cycles on calendar years and have a 6.x final at the
> > end
> > > of 2014...

> > bugfix
> > > release of 5.5 if needed.

> and
> > > start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as
> bug
> > > fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for 5.4 and 5.5

Silvia Rusu
Hi!

+1 for 2.

Thanks,
Silvia

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for 2 as well.
>

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 for 2
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Because of the holidays, I think if we follow the proposal 1, we would
>> have
>> > quite nothing in 5.4.
>> >
>> > That is why I prefer the proposal 2.

>> > stabilizing,
>> about
>> > reviews

>> > goal
>> > too
>> creator
>> the
>>  -

>> > the

>> > end

>> > bugfix

>> and
>> bug

> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for 5.4 and 5.5

sorinello
+1 for 2

Thanks.
Sorin B.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> +1 for 2.
>
> Thanks,
> Silvia
>
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1 for 2 as well.
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 for 2
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty

> >> have

> [hidden email]

> cycle
> >> about

> The
> are
> edited,
> page.
> >> creator
> livetable
> >> the
> hidden.
> >>  -
> -

> listed.

> on

> so
> the

> planned
> >> and
> as
> >> bug

> > Denis Gervalle
> > SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for 5.4 and 5.5

+1 for 2), since the due date for 5.4M1 doesn't leave too much time for
any real work, given that 5.3 hasn't even been released yet.

On 12/09/2013 03:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
> Proposal 1:
> =========
>
> - 5.4M1: 30th of Dec
> - 5.4RC1: 13th of Jan 2014
> - 5.4 Final: 20th of Jan 2014
>
> - 5.5M1: 27th of Jan 2014
> - 5.5RC1: 10th of Feb 2014
> - 5.5 Final: 17th of Feb 2014
>
> Proposal 2:
> =========
>
> Group together 5.4 and 5.5 and increase timeframe of 5.4 and have bugfix release of 5.5 if needed.
>
> - 5.4M1: 6th of Jan 2014
> - 5.4RC1: 20th of Jan 2014
> - 5.4Final: 27th of Jan 2014
>
> This solution allows us to end the 5.x cycle in Jan 2014 as planned and start 6.x at beginning of Feb 2014. And important issues get fixed as bug fix releases of 5.4.x (5.4.1, 5.4.2, etc).

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [Proposal] Roadmap for 5.4 and 5.5 (Need update)

I’ve updated http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Roadmaps/WebHome with what I could.

Since everyone agreed for skipping 5.5 I’ve removed it from that page too.

Could everyone please review it and add the missing stuff and make sure that it’s correct and reflects what everyone is working on for 5.4?

Thanks a lot
-Vincent