[Proposal] Strategy to Recommend/Unrecomend extensions on e.x.o

[Proposal] Strategy to Recommend/Unrecomend extensions on e.x.o

Regarding Recommended extensions on e.x.o.

What we don’t FTM is strategy for:
* A) When do we review the list of recommended and move some out when they’re no longer matching the recommended criteria
* B) When do we review the list of not recommended and propose to move some to recommended

I guess for A) it could be when someone (community, committers) discovers some important problems on the extension or if committers just notice it by chance. In the future we could imagine having a “Unrecommend” button in the UI to allow users to provide feedback as to why an extension should be unrecommended.

For B) it could the extension author proposing an extension to be recommended (or committers noticing a good supported extension and asking the author(s) if they’re willing to comply with the recommended rules).  In the future we could imagine having a “Recommend” button in the UI to allow users to provide feedback as to why an extension should be recommended.

WDYT? Any better or others ideas?

Re: [Proposal] Strategy to Recommend/Unrecomend extensions on e.x.o

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 2:37 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Regarding Recommended extensions on e.x.o.
>
> What we don’t FTM is strategy for:
> * A) When do we review the list of recommended and move some out when they’re no longer matching the recommended criteria
> * B) When do we review the list of not recommended and propose to move some to recommended
>
> I guess for A) it could be when someone (community, committers) discovers some important problems on the extension or if committers just notice it by chance. In the future we could imagine having a “Unrecommend” button in the UI to allow users to provide feedback as to why an extension should be unrecommended.
>
> For B) it could the extension author proposing an extension to be recommended (or committers noticing a good supported extension and asking the author(s) if they’re willing to comply with the recommended rules).  In the future we could imagine having a “Recommend” button in the UI to allow users to provide feedback as to why an extension should be recommended.
>
> WDYT? Any better or others ideas?

A) I think someone who think an extension should not be recommended
anymore should send a vote mail with the reasons.

B) -1 for the “Recommend” button. The most important criteria for
recommended extensions is to have an active maintainer and that
maintainer should be active enough to send a vote on the dev mailing
list to ask for the extension to become recommended IMO.

Re: [Proposal] Strategy to Recommend/Unrecomend extensions on e.x.o

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
A) We should do that periodically. At least once per cycle. If an extension
didn't had any release in a whole year than I don't think we could count
that extension to be maintained / recommended.

B) I agree with Thomas that the committer that wants to maintain an
extension should send a mail to confirm his involvement and ask for an
extension to be Recommended.

----

Not sure about the Recommend / Unrecommend button. Where would that button
be displayed? In EM? in e.x.o? What will it do? Who will have access to it?
On what threshold of votes will it send the mail to change the status of an
extension? Do we need special votes for this status or can we reuse the
existing ratings / active installs counts? I think such a button could just
increase the complexity of this Recommendation process.