[Proposal] Turn comments into major events

[Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi XWiki Devs,

I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage, my
comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.

This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
object or an annotation to a page is.

Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a minor
one.

Here's my +1 for this.

Thanks,

Guillaume

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 15:35, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi XWiki Devs,
>
> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage,
> my
> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.
>
> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> object or an annotation to a page is.
>
> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a
> minor
> one.
>
> Here's my +1 for this.

+1

On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi XWiki Devs,
>
> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage, my
> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.
>
> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> object or an annotation to a page is.
>
> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a minor
> one.
>
> Here's my +1 for this.

How about other objects (annotations, custom objects, etc)?
How about objects updates?

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

sorinello
On 11/10/2010 03:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi XWiki Devs,
>
> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage, my
> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.
>
> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> object or an annotation to a page is.
>
> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a minor
> one.
>
> Here's my +1 for this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume

Hi XWiki Devs,

+1

Regards,
Sorin B.

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Caleb James DeLisle
+1

Caleb

On 11/10/2010 08:35 AM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi XWiki Devs,
>
> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage, my
> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.
>
> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> object or an annotation to a page is.
>
> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a minor
> one.
>
> Here's my +1 for this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Silvia Rusu

+1.

Silvia

Pe 10.11.2010 15:35, Guillaume Lerouge a scris:

> Hi XWiki Devs,
>
> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage, my
> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.
>
> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> object or an annotation to a page is.
>
> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a minor
> one.
>
> Here's my +1 for this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

I don't know if it should be minor or major but annotation and
comments should be the same since both are the exact same things, the
only difference being that annotation are for part of the content
instead of the whole content.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 15:40, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
>
> > Hi XWiki Devs,
> >
> > I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my
> attention
> > that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage,
> my
> > comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> > This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor
> event.
> >
> > This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> > Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> > comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> > object or an annotation to a page is.
> >
> > Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a
> minor
> > one.
> >
> > Here's my +1 for this.
>
> How about other objects (annotations, custom objects, etc)?
> How about objects updates?

Currently:
Major:
- add attachment through #Attachmentspane
- edit attachment (showed as uploaded)
- delete attachment through #Attachmentspane

- add annotation
- edit annotation
- delete annotation

- add object through editor=object (if the object is XWikiComment appears as
major)

- save&view

Minor:
- add comment through #Commentspane
- edit comment through #Commentspane
- delete comment through #Commentspane

- edit object through editor=object
- delete object through editor=object

- save&continue

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Florin Ciubotaru-2
+1

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

On 11/10/2010 02:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi XWiki Devs,
>
> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my attention
> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage, my
> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor event.
>
> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> object or an annotation to a page is.
>
> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a minor
> one.
>
> Here's my +1 for this.

-1, since the main part of the document is the content. Ideally, adding
comments should not even be part of the main history, but something
displayed in a "detailed history".

I think that adding objects and annotations should be minor edits as
well. I'm not entirely sure about attachments, but I'm inclining towards
minor.

The problem is that the old dashboard used the wrong method for
selecting the elements to display, but this should change with the new
activity implementation. The fact that the new activity macro doesn't
list comments should be fixed already by
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-749 , and I think that XE-749 is
the right approach for the long term.

> Thanks,
>
> Guillaume

You're welcome,

Sergiu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
XE-749 fixed the problem of not showing comments, but is not only about the
Activity Stream, it about the consistency and as Thomas was saying, is about
having similar objects have similar behavior. That's why we should revise
the code.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 22:01, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/10/2010 02:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
> > Hi XWiki Devs,
> >
> > I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my
> attention
> > that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage,
> my
> > comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
> > This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor
> event.
> >
> > This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
> > Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
> > comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
> > object or an annotation to a page is.
> >
> > Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a
> minor
> > one.
> >
> > Here's my +1 for this.
>
> -1, since the main part of the document is the content. Ideally, adding
> comments should not even be part of the main history, but something
> displayed in a "detailed history".
>
> I think that adding objects and annotations should be minor edits as
> well. I'm not entirely sure about attachments, but I'm inclining towards
> minor.
>
> The problem is that the old dashboard used the wrong method for
> selecting the elements to display, but this should change with the new
> activity implementation. The fact that the new activity macro doesn't
> list comments should be fixed already by
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-749 , and I think that XE-749 is
> the right approach for the long term.
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guillaume
>
> You're welcome,
>
> Sergiu
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 11/10/2010 09:55 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> XE-749 fixed the problem of not showing comments, but is not only about the
> Activity Stream, it about the consistency and as Thomas was saying, is about
> having similar objects have similar behavior. That's why we should revise
> the code.

Yes, +1, but IMO the correct behavior is minor edits for everything.

Most actions create major revisions by default for historical reasons.
Initially there was no support for major versions, everything was minor.
Neither was there support for version comments. So, there was only one
method, xwiki.saveDocument(doc, context), and this was and still is the
method used by most code. When support for major versions was
introduced, the default saveDocument was changed so that it creates
major versions, but the code that used that method wasn't updated to use
the new method which allows entering a version summary and specifying a
minor edit.

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 22:01, Sergiu Dumitriu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2010 02:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
>>> Hi XWiki Devs,
>>>
>>> I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my
>> attention
>>> that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage,
>> my
>>> comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
>>> This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor
>> event.
>>>
>>> This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
>>> Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
>>> comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
>>> object or an annotation to a page is.
>>>
>>> Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a
>> minor
>>> one.
>>>
>>> Here's my +1 for this.
>>
>> -1, since the main part of the document is the content. Ideally, adding
>> comments should not even be part of the main history, but something
>> displayed in a "detailed history".
>>
>> I think that adding objects and annotations should be minor edits as
>> well. I'm not entirely sure about attachments, but I'm inclining towards
>> minor.
>>
>> The problem is that the old dashboard used the wrong method for
>> selecting the elements to display, but this should change with the new
>> activity implementation. The fact that the new activity macro doesn't
>> list comments should be fixed already by
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-749 , and I think that XE-749 is
>> the right approach for the long term.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Guillaume
>>
>> You're welcome,
>>
>> Sergiu

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:55, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> XE-749 fixed the problem of not showing comments, but is not only about the
> Activity Stream, it about the consistency and as Thomas was saying, is about
> having similar objects have similar behavior. That's why we should revise
> the code.

I think I would go more on minor side for comments/annotations, what
important is the content, when i see major modification i expect
document to be different and comments does not change anything to the
document from my POV.

> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 22:01, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2010 02:35 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:
>> > Hi XWiki Devs,
>> >
>> > I've been performing some XWiki demos recently and it came to my
>> attention
>> > that when adding a comment to a page and then going back to the homepage,
>> my
>> > comments didn't show up in the recent activity section of the dashboard.
>> > This is due to the fact that adding a comment is considered a minor
>> event.
>> >
>> > This behavior is still taking place in the most recent versions of XWiki
>> > Enterprise (I tested a XE 2.7 snapshot this morning). I believe that
>> > comments should be treated as major events, the same way that adding an
>> > object or an annotation to a page is.
>> >
>> > Therefore I propose making adding a comment a major event instead of a
>> minor
>> > one.
>> >
>> > Here's my +1 for this.
>>
>> -1, since the main part of the document is the content. Ideally, adding
>> comments should not even be part of the main history, but something
>> displayed in a "detailed history".
>>
>> I think that adding objects and annotations should be minor edits as
>> well. I'm not entirely sure about attachments, but I'm inclining towards
>> minor.
>>
>> The problem is that the old dashboard used the wrong method for
>> selecting the elements to display, but this should change with the new
>> activity implementation. The fact that the new activity macro doesn't
>> list comments should be fixed already by
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-749 , and I think that XE-749 is
>> the right approach for the long term.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Guillaume
>>
>> You're welcome,
>>
>> Sergiu
>> --
>> Sergiu Dumitriu
>> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] Turn comments into major events

Marius Dumitru Florea
On 11/11/2010 02:13 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:55, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> XE-749 fixed the problem of not showing comments, but is not only about the
>> Activity Stream, it about the consistency and as Thomas was saying, is about
>> having similar objects have similar behavior. That's why we should revise
>> the code.
>

> I think I would go more on minor side for comments/annotations, what
> important is the content, when i see major modification i expect
> document to be different and comments does not change anything to the
> document from my POV.

I share the same opinion.