[Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

[Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the default even if the implementation is still not perfect.

Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Tha main 2 issues are:
- XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are enabled.
- FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed

I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.

I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?

Here’s my +1

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Paul Libbrecht-2
My big big +1 !
Paul

> Vincent Massol <mailto:[hidden email]>
> 24 March 2016 at 11:35
> Hi devs,
>
> It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem
> storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish
> attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the
> default even if the implementation is still not perfect.
>
> Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>
> Tha main 2 issues are:
> - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments
> are enabled.
> - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
>
> I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted
> attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
>
> I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
>
> Here’s my +1

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Eduard Moraru
+1

The ~32MB limit is just ridiculous :)

Thanks,
Eduard

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My big big +1 !
> Paul
>
> > Vincent Massol <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > 24 March 2016 at 11:35
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem
> > storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish
> > attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the
> > default even if the implementation is still not perfect.
> >
> > Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
> >
> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
> >
> > Tha main 2 issues are:
> > - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments
> > are enabled.
> > - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
> >
> > I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted
> > attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
> >
> > I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
> >
> > Here’s my +1

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Jean SIMARD
+1

On 24/03/2016 11:48, Eduard Moraru wrote:

> +1
>
> The ~32MB limit is just ridiculous :)
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My big big +1 !
>> Paul
>>
>>> Vincent Massol <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> 24 March 2016 at 11:35
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem
>>> storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish
>>> attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the
>>> default even if the implementation is still not perfect.
>>>
>>> Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
>>>
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>>>
>>> Tha main 2 issues are:
>>> - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments
>>> are enabled.
>>> - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
>>>
>>> I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted
>>> attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
>>>
>>> I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
>>>
>>> Here’s my +1
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Jean Simard
[hidden email]
Research engineer at XWiki SAS
http://www.xwiki.com
Committer on the XWiki.org project
http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Yes +1 as it's long overdue

*Ludovic Dubost*
*Founder and CEO*
[hidden email]
skype: ldubost
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> The ~32MB limit is just ridiculous :)
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > My big big +1 !
> > Paul
> >
> > > Vincent Massol <mailto:[hidden email]>
> > > 24 March 2016 at 11:35
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem
> > > storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish
> > > attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the
> > > default even if the implementation is still not perfect.
> > >
> > > Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
> > >

> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
> > >
> > > Tha main 2 issues are:
> > > - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments
> > > are enabled.
> > > - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
> > >
> > > I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted
> > > attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
> > >
> > > I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
> > >
> > > Here’s my +1
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Mohamed Boussaa
+1

Mohamed

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes +1 as it's long overdue
>
> Ludovic
>
> --
> *Ludovic Dubost*
> *Founder and CEO*
> [hidden email]
> skype: ldubost
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > The ~32MB limit is just ridiculous :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > My big big +1 !
> > > Paul

> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

> removed

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

+0

I feel that we should first fix the two issues you mentioned. The
second one should not be too hard to fix (it's just about listening to
WikiDeletedEvent and do some cleanup I guess).

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the default even if the implementation is still not perfect.
>
> Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>
> Tha main 2 issues are:
> - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are enabled.
> - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
>
> I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
>
> I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
>
> Here’s my +1

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Denis Gervalle-2
+0

As Thomas said, it would be better to also fix the issues, this should not
be that hard.
There is also other aspects that deserve attention:
 - migrating users, that should be warned and provided better way to
migrate than a snippet IMO.
 - the fact that user data will no more be in a single place, and that user
may miss the permanent directory for their backup, especially because it
does not contains other precious information so far. We should raise more
attention on that point.

This second point is quite important IMO, this is why I am not really +1, I
actually prefer limitation and safety, but I understand why we want to
change.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> +0
>
> I feel that we should first fix the two issues you mentioned. The
> second one should not be too hard to fix (it's just about listening to
> WikiDeletedEvent and do some cleanup I guess).
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem storage
> and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish attachments
> to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the default even if the
> implementation is still not perfect.
> >
> > Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
> >
> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
> >
> > Tha main 2 issues are:
> > - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are
> enabled.
> > - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
> >
> > I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted attachments
> tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
> >
> > I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
> >
> > Here’s my +1

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +0
>
> As Thomas said, it would be better to also fix the issues, this should not
> be that hard.
> There is also other aspects that deserve attention:

>  - migrating users, that should be warned and provided better way to
> migrate than a snippet IMO.

Indeed.

>  - the fact that user data will no more be in a single place, and that user
> may miss the permanent directory for their backup, especially because it
> does not contains other precious information so far. We should raise more
> attention on that point.

Well extensions are quite important stuff already.

> This second point is quite important IMO, this is why I am not really +1, I
> actually prefer limitation and safety, but I understand why we want to
> change.
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> +0
>>
>> I feel that we should first fix the two issues you mentioned. The
>> second one should not be too hard to fix (it's just about listening to
>> WikiDeletedEvent and do some cleanup I guess).
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi devs,
>> >
>> > It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem storage
>> and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish attachments
>> to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the default even if the
>> implementation is still not perfect.
>> >
>> > Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
>> >
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>> >
>> > Tha main 2 issues are:
>> > - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are
>> enabled.
>> > - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
>> >
>> > I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted attachments
>> tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
>> >
>> > I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
>> >
>> > Here’s my +1
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent

>> Thomas Mortagne

> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Caleb James DeLisle-3
I suppose it goes without saying that I would be +1 but we should also
make note that the limit must also be reaised in the XWikiPreferences
which is not user-accessable so we can.

A. Raise it ourselves to a sane number like 100MB
B. Expose the parameter in the administration application
C. A and B
D. Nothing

Even if we do nothing, it will be eaiser for people in the future if
new installs are getting FS attachments be default.

Thanks,
Caleb

On 24/03/16 11:48, Eduard Moraru wrote:

> +1
>
> The ~32MB limit is just ridiculous :)
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My big big +1 !
>> Paul
>>
>>> Vincent Massol <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> 24 March 2016 at 11:35
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem
>>> storage and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish
>>> attachments to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the
>>> default even if the implementation is still not perfect.
>>>
>>> Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
>>>
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>>>
>>> Tha main 2 issues are:
>>> - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments
>>> are enabled.
>>> - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
>>>
>>> I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted
>>> attachments tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
>>>
>>> I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
>>>
>>> Here’s my +1
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Hi Denis,

> On 24 Mar 2016, at 12:48, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +0
>
> As Thomas said, it would be better to also fix the issues, this should not
> be that hard.
> There is also other aspects that deserve attention:
> - migrating users, that should be warned and provided better way to
> migrate than a snippet IMO.

> - the fact that user data will no more be in a single place, and that user
> may miss the permanent directory for their backup, especially because it
> does not contains other precious information so far. We should raise more
> attention on that point.

FTR I’ve documented this a long time ago at:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup

Use cases:
* UC1: The user upgrades to latest version of XWiki and merges the xwiki.cfg file
* UC2: The user installs a new version and imports a XAR containing all his pages (including attachments).

For UC2 nothing to do.

For UC1, there are several options:
1) We convert Caleb’s snippet into a DB migrator and move the attachments out of the DB at startup
2) We don’t do anything at startup but we notice that there are attachment content in the DB and we show a "Distribution Wizard”-like UI to convert at the first request (for admins), using the code Caleb’s snippet. We would put explanations about the backup warning you mentioned.

What would be the best would be to refactor the DB migrators so that they can have an associated UI, which would be a "Distribution Wizard”-like UI.

Any better idea?

Now all this is theoretic since there’s nobody with the time to work on any of this AFAIK, so we can create jira issues about it but if we want to progress we need to turn on FS-attachments by default.

> This second point is quite important IMO, this is why I am not really +1, I
> actually prefer limitation and safety, but I understand why we want to
> change.

This proposal is about moving forward. We’ve been wanting to have FS-based attachments the default for several years now and we haven’t done it for all those reasons. It has not worked in making us fix those issues so far. So the idea is to go forward, make it the default and then improve.

You’re not blocking so that’s good. We can move forward :)

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> +0
>>
>> I feel that we should first fix the two issues you mentioned. The
>> second one should not be too hard to fix (it's just about listening to
>> WikiDeletedEvent and do some cleanup I guess).
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> It’s been a very long time that Caleb has implemented fileystem storage
>> and we still see people regularly stuggling to attach largish attachments
>> to their wiki. I think it’s time that we make it the default even if the
>> implementation is still not perfect.
>>>
>>> Namely here are the opened issue related to filesystem store:
>>>
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20%22Storage%20-%20File%20System%20Attachment%22%20AND%20project%20%3D%20XWIKI%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>>>
>>> Tha main 2 issues are:
>>> - XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are
>> enabled.
>>> - FS Attachments does not delete files when a subwiki has been removed
>>>
>>> I’m proposing for the moment to add a warning to the deleted attachments
>> tab on AllDocs when fs attachment is on.
>>>
>>> I think the pros outbalances the cons. WDYT?
>>>
>>> Here’s my +1
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Turn on filesystem attachment store by default in XWiki 8.1

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Denis,
>
> > On 24 Mar 2016, at 12:48, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +0
> >
> > As Thomas said, it would be better to also fix the issues, this should
> not
> > be that hard.
> > There is also other aspects that deserve attention:
> > - migrating users, that should be warned and provided better way to
> > migrate than a snippet IMO.
>
> > - the fact that user data will no more be in a single place, and that
> user
> > may miss the permanent directory for their backup, especially because it
> > does not contains other precious information so far. We should raise more
> > attention on that point.
>
> FTR I’ve documented this a long time ago at:
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup
>
> Use cases:
> * UC1: The user upgrades to latest version of XWiki and merges the
> xwiki.cfg file
> * UC2: The user installs a new version and imports a XAR containing all
> his pages (including attachments).
>
> For UC2 nothing to do.
>
> For UC1, there are several options:
> 1) We convert Caleb’s snippet into a DB migrator and move the attachments
> out of the DB at startup
> 2) We don’t do anything at startup but we notice that there are attachment
> content in the DB and we show a "Distribution Wizard”-like UI to convert at
> the first request (for admins), using the code Caleb’s snippet. We would
> put explanations about the backup warning you mentioned.
>
> What would be the best would be to refactor the DB migrators so that they
> can have an associated UI, which would be a "Distribution Wizard”-like UI.
>
> Any better idea?
>
> Now all this is theoretic since there’s nobody with the time to work on
> any of this AFAIK, so we can create jira issues about it but if we want to
> progress we need to turn on FS-attachments by default.

There's no guarantee that the issues will be fixed after we enable File
System attachments by default, unless we put in on the roadmap (with
someone assigned to it), but then what stopped us from putting it on the
roadmap before?

> > This second point is quite important IMO, this is why I am not really
> +1, I
> > actually prefer limitation and safety, but I understand why we want to
> > change.
>
> This proposal is about moving forward. We’ve been wanting to have FS-based
> attachments the default for several years now and we haven’t done it for
> all those reasons. It has not worked in making us fix those issues so far.
> So the idea is to go forward, make it the default and then improve.

We may be going forward but we introduce regressions. So I'm not fully
convinced, +0.

> [...]

>> content in the DB and we show a "Distribution Wizard”-like UI to convert at
>> the first request (for admins), using the code Caleb’s snippet. We would
>> put explanations about the backup warning you mentioned.
>>
>> What would be the best would be to refactor the DB migrators so that they
>> can have an associated UI, which would be a "Distribution Wizard”-like UI.
>>
>> Any better idea?
>>
>> Now all this is theoretic since there’s nobody with the time to work on
>> any of this AFAIK, so we can create jira issues about it but if we want to
>> progress we need to turn on FS-attachments by default.
>>

> There's no guarantee that the issues will be fixed after we enable File
> System attachments by default, unless we put in on the roadmap (with
> someone assigned to it), but then what stopped us from putting it on the

Ok, so you’re saying that for you the benefits of having it by default are less important than the issues that exist but you’re also saying (the +0) that you’re ok to let it be done.

https://github.com/phenotips/phenotips/tree/master/components/storage-migrators

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/