[Proposal][UX] Bundle Help app in XWiki

In the 9.2 roadmap we developed a Help Center in
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/HELPCENTER-1 that showcases the major XWiki
concepts (templates, macros, apps, etc.) to newcomers.

Currently the idea is to bundle the Help in XWiki, in order to be
accessible from the start, without the need of a manual install.

I've describe the major issues with the bundling here:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaDefaultHelp

WDYT?

- Should we bundle it even if we have "Issue 1: Uninstallable"? Should we
fix it first?
- What about the other issues? Do you see any other problems?

Re: [Proposal][UX] Bundle Help app in XWiki

Hi Caty,

> On 4 Apr 2017, at 14:54, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> In the 9.2 roadmap we developed a Help Center in
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/HELPCENTER-1 that showcases the major XWiki
> concepts (templates, macros, apps, etc.) to newcomers.
>
> Currently the idea is to bundle the Help in XWiki, in order to be
> accessible from the start, without the need of a manual install.
>
> I've describe the major issues with the bundling here:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaDefaultHelp
>
> WDYT?
>
> - Should we bundle it even if we have "Issue 1: Uninstallable"? Should we
> fix it first?
> - What about the other issues? Do you see any other problems?

I see no reason not to bundle it. It’s for help and it needs to be by default ASAP. Regarding the “uninstallable” part it’s not worse than the Blog or other bundled extensions, quite the opposite.

I’m more worried about the fact that the Help application is leaking on the AWM app and that users may not want this once they are in production.

> Caty

Re: [Proposal][UX] Bundle Help app in XWiki

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 with Vincent.

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal][UX] Bundle Help app in XWiki

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
So in general there is no reason why not to bundle the Help Center by
default.

Just created https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/HELPCENTER-4 for the future and for reference. This is the only potential issue I see. Maybe I’m wrong and it won’t be an issue after all. I just wanted to record it though so that we don’t forget to decide what we do about it.