Quantcast

[Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

12

[Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

We had feedback that new users don't know where to find the 'Edit' and
'Create' buttons. Also there is some confusions of why we have a 'cog' icon
that contains actions like 'Delete' and a 'three dots' icon that contain
other actions.

Would be great if you could tell us which version you prefer:
P2:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/advancedUser.png
P4:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/P4_1_bigger.png

Both proposals add backgrounds around the icons, the main difference is
that P2 also uses descriptive labels, while P4 keeps the consistency with
the top icons and a more minimalist style.

For the more actions menu, we want to combine the actions and add category
labels, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/moreActions.png

What do you think? Do you have other solutions for your instances? Did you
encounter the same problem?

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

mahomed
P2 is great because it is descriptive and probably helpful on wikis with a lot of users who are "less technical" or "slightly technophobic".

P4 is great because it is compact and I think even technophobic users will understand what the buttons do after the first few tries. So my vote is for P4.

Regarding "combine the actions and add category labels". That looks awesome and much more intuitive.

Kind regards,

Mahomed Hussein
Custodian Data Centre
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.CustodianDC.com

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Mahomed Hussein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> P2 is great because it is descriptive and probably helpful on wikis with a
> lot of users who are "less technical" or "slightly technophobic".
>
> P4 is great because it is compact and I think even technophobic users will
> understand what the buttons do after the first few tries. So my vote is for
> P4.

Hi, Thank for the vote. Noted :)

Caty

> Regarding "combine the actions and add category labels". That looks
> awesome and much more intuitive.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Mahomed Hussein
> Custodian Data Centre
> Email: [hidden email]
> http://www.CustodianDC.com

BRUMM Steffen
P4 is my choice

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Steffen BRUMM
Programmierung
IT-Österreich

Frankstahl Rohr- und Stahlhandelsges.m.b.H.
Frankstahlstraße2
A-2353 Guntramsdorf
Tel: +43 50 50 3-343
www.frankstahl.com

FÜR DIE UMWELT AKTIV: Frankstahl ist Partner von Global 2000

Firmensitz: Esteplatz 6, A-1030 Wien, FN 142511a Handelsgericht Wien, DVR 0509361
Die Information in diesem Mail ist ausschließlich für den Empfänger bestimmt. Anderen Personen ist es nicht gestattet diese Information zu öffnen, zu kopieren oder zu verteilen. Falls Sie diese Information irrtümlich erhalten haben, kontaktieren Sie bitte den Absender und löschen Sie das Mail von Ihrem Computer.

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Jesse Bright
They both look great but I like the look of P4 better.

Regards,

Jesse

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:33 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We had feedback that new users don't know where to find the 'Edit' and
> 'Create' buttons. Also there is some confusions of why we have a 'cog' icon
> that contains actions like 'Delete' and a 'three dots' icon that contain
> other actions.
>
> Would be great if you could tell us which version you prefer:
> P2:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/advancedUser.png
> P4:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/P4_1_bigger.png
>
> Both proposals add backgrounds around the icons, the main difference is
> that P2 also uses descriptive labels, while P4 keeps the consistency with
> the top icons and a more minimalist style.
>
> For the more actions menu, we want to combine the actions and add category
> labels, see
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/moreActions.png
>
> What do you think? Do you have other solutions for your instances? Did you
> encounter the same problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
This is getting interesting since I know users that like the P2 version and
actually it was one of the first choices for re-implementation.

I guess we need more votes to reach a conclusion.
Thanks to everyone that is participating,
Caty

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> They both look great but I like the look of P4 better.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jesse
>
> > On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:33 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We had feedback that new users don't know where to find the 'Edit' and
> > 'Create' buttons. Also there is some confusions of why we have a 'cog'
> icon
> > that contains actions like 'Delete' and a 'three dots' icon that contain
> > other actions.
> >
> > Would be great if you could tell us which version you prefer:
> > P2:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/
> advancedUser.png
> > P4:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaLabeledActions/P4_1_bigger.png
> >
> > Both proposals add backgrounds around the icons, the main difference is
> > that P2 also uses descriptive labels, while P4 keeps the consistency with
> > the top icons and a more minimalist style.
> >
> > For the more actions menu, we want to combine the actions and add
> category
> > labels, see
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/
> moreActions.png
> >
> > What do you think? Do you have other solutions for your instances? Did
> you
> > encounter the same problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Miroslav Galajda
Hi,

I'm voting for P2 because it is making the visual style of buttons with
dropdown menu to look as they should look, with indication of the dropdown
menu.
Secondly, the visual style of the edit page button will keep consistent
with the buttons for inline section editing.

Best regards,
Miroslav Galajda

On 26 April 2017 at 15:27, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is getting interesting since I know users that like the P2 version and
> actually it was one of the first choices for re-implementation.
>
> I guess we need more votes to reach a conclusion.
> Thanks to everyone that is participating,
> Caty
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > They both look great but I like the look of P4 better.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jesse
> >
> > > On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:33 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We had feedback that new users don't know where to find the 'Edit' and
> > > 'Create' buttons. Also there is some confusions of why we have a 'cog'
> > icon
> > > that contains actions like 'Delete' and a 'three dots' icon that
> contain
> > > other actions.
> > >
> > > Would be great if you could tell us which version you prefer:
> > > P2:
> > > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaLabeledActions/
> > advancedUser.png
> > > P4:
> > > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> > IdeaLabeledActions/P4_1_bigger.png
> > >
> > > Both proposals add backgrounds around the icons, the main difference is
> > > that P2 also uses descriptive labels, while P4 keeps the consistency
> with
> > > the top icons and a more minimalist style.
> > >
> > > For the more actions menu, we want to combine the actions and add
> > category
> > > labels, see
> > > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaLabeledActions/
> > moreActions.png
> > >
> > > What do you think? Do you have other solutions for your instances? Did
> > you
> > > encounter the same problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Craig Wright
Hi Caty,

I would use the Edit text w/ pencil on Edit and just the plus icon for Create. The reason is Edit needs to be differentiated from Create, but this is accomplished with the word Edit. On small resolutions (iPhone) I think it is acceptable to hide the word Edit.

The triple-dot icon needs to be a button. P2 has it as a free-floating icon, P4 has it as a button: it needs to be a button as per P4.

Otherwise, looks good!

Be well,
Craig

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Craig Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> I would use the Edit text w/ pencil on Edit and just the plus icon for
> Create. The reason is Edit needs to be differentiated from Create, but this
> is accomplished with the word Edit. On small resolutions (iPhone) I think
> it is acceptable to hide the word Edit.

I have to disagree here. The purpose is to promote and highlight both
important actions and that is both 'Edit' and 'Create'. The 'plus' sign can
be also confusing for new users. Highlighting just 'Edit' would be hard to
justify.

> The triple-dot icon needs to be a button. P2 has it as a free-floating
> icon, P4 has it as a button: it needs to be a button as per P4.

Yes, a better screenshot for P2 is
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/P2_noRightPanels.png
The symmetric P4 screenshot is
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/P4_noRightPanels.png

> Otherwise, looks good!
>
> Be well,
> Craig
>
> > On Apr 26, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Miroslav Galajda <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm voting for P2 because it is making the visual style of buttons with
> > dropdown menu to look as they should look, with indication of the
> dropdown
> > menu.
> > Secondly, the visual style of the edit page button will keep consistent
> > with the buttons for inline section editing.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Miroslav Galajda
> >

> > On 26 April 2017 at 15:27, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> This is getting interesting since I know users that like the P2 version
> and
> >> actually it was one of the first choices for re-implementation.
> >>
> >> I guess we need more votes to reach a conclusion.
> >> Thanks to everyone that is participating,
> >> Caty

> >> contain

> >> IdeaLabeledActions/

> is
> >> with

> >> IdeaLabeledActions/

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Craig Wright
Hi Caty,

I like the current P2. What are the drop-down options for Edit?

My reasoning for hiding Create is that the Create function is a little confusing to begin with for new users. If you are used to files and folders, it is weird that a file is also a folder (that a node can have child nodes that are also documents). This makes sense to me because I am a computer science grad, but it isn’t that obvious to long-time Mac/Windows users. I would almost want it to be called “Create New Child Page” or something, to better indicate what is going to happen when you click that button. Except, sometimes, it doesn’t create a new child page, depending on the template you choose. In any case, there is no obvious solution, P2 looks best of the options provided. :)

Thanks,
Craig

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Craig Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> I like the current P2. What are the drop-down options for Edit?

'Edit' drop-down is for 'Advanced' users and it contains the other edit
modes, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/advancedExpanded.png
For 'Normal' users the 'Edit' is just a button, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/simpleUser.png

> My reasoning for hiding Create is that the Create function is a little
> confusing to begin with for new users. If you are used to files and
> folders, it is weird that a file is also a folder (that a node can have
> child nodes that are also documents). This makes sense to me because I am a
> computer science grad, but it isn’t that obvious to long-time Mac/Windows
> users. I would almost want it to be called “Create New Child Page” or
> something, to better indicate what is going to happen when you click that
> button. Except, sometimes, it doesn’t create a new child page, depending on
> the template you choose. In any case, there is no obvious solution, P2
> looks best of the options provided. :)

That's another story :)

> Craig
>

> > On Apr 26, 2017, at 4:06 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Craig Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Caty,
> >>
> >> I would use the Edit text w/ pencil on Edit and just the plus icon for
> >> Create. The reason is Edit needs to be differentiated from Create, but
> this
> >> is accomplished with the word Edit. On small resolutions (iPhone) I
> think
> >> it is acceptable to hide the word Edit.
> >>

> > I have to disagree here. The purpose is to promote and highlight both
> > important actions and that is both 'Edit' and 'Create'. The 'plus' sign
> can
> > be also confusing for new users. Highlighting just 'Edit' would be hard
> > justify.
> >

> >> The triple-dot icon needs to be a button. P2 has it as a free-floating
> >> icon, P4 has it as a button: it needs to be a button as per P4.
> >>

> > Yes, a better screenshot for P2 is
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaLabeledActions/P2_noRightPanels.png
> > The symmetric P4 screenshot is
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaLabeledActions/P4_noRightPanels.png
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> >> Otherwise, looks good!
> >>
> >> Be well,
> >> Craig

> >> dropdown

> [hidden email]>

> version
> >> and

> [hidden email]>

> and
> 'cog'

> >> is

> Did

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

mahomed
This P2 is much nicer, but I still prefer P4.

I can see why some people like P2 as it is more descriptive. But, P4 still matches the current icons better (and I am guessing not many people have complained that they don't know what those mysterious buttons in the top right are for.) Additionally there's a tool tip when you hover over the buttons and once you know what the button does, you don't actually need the label.

The icons are pretty universal as well. i.e. a Pencil indicates editing and a Plus sign indicates "adding".

I don't suppose this could be a wiki wide configurable option? :) Or maybe something that can be turned on/off with a class in the skin.

Kind regards,

Mahomed Hussein
Custodian Data Centre
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.CustodianDC.com

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Craig Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> I would use the Edit text w/ pencil on Edit and just the plus icon for
> Create. The reason is Edit needs to be differentiated from Create, but
> this is accomplished with the word Edit. On small resolutions (iPhone)
> I think it is acceptable to hide the word Edit.

I have to disagree here. The purpose is to promote and highlight both important actions and that is both 'Edit' and 'Create'. The 'plus' sign can be also confusing for new users. Highlighting just 'Edit' would be hard to justify.

> The triple-dot icon needs to be a button. P2 has it as a free-floating
> icon, P4 has it as a button: it needs to be a button as per P4.

Yes, a better screenshot for P2 is
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/P2_noRightPanels.png
The symmetric P4 screenshot is
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/P4_noRightPanels.png

> Otherwise, looks good!
>
> Be well,
> Craig
>
> > On Apr 26, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Miroslav Galajda <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm voting for P2 because it is making the visual style of buttons
> > with dropdown menu to look as they should look, with indication of
> > the
> dropdown
> > menu.
> > Secondly, the visual style of the edit page button will keep
> > consistent with the buttons for inline section editing.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Miroslav Galajda
> >

> > On 26 April 2017 at 15:27, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> > <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> This is getting interesting since I know users that like the P2
> >> version
> and
> >> actually it was one of the first choices for re-implementation.
> >>
> >> I guess we need more votes to reach a conclusion.
> >> Thanks to everyone that is participating, Caty
> >>
> >> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Jesse Bright
> >> <[hidden email]>

> >> contain

> >> IdeaLabeledActions/

> is
> >> with

> >> IdeaLabeledActions/

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

oseres
Voting for P2
Arguments here :
https://thomasbyttebier.be/blog/the-best-icon-is-a-text-label
"Pencil" and "+" Icons are not explicit for everyone.

But I would go further :
1/ "Create" does't tell me what I will create. The next screen tells me
Create Page.  => so I think : "Create a new page" is more relevant
(in the landing page, we could include the "Duplicate this page" (aka
"copy") function
2/ The "kebab" 3 vertical dots is not explicit either : doesn't tell me
what's behind (what's the difference with the hamburger)=> I think it would
be better to display "More actions" (which is coherent because Edit and
Create (a new page) are the most performed actions (presumably)

--
<http://xwiki.com>  *    Olivier Sérès*

*      VP Business Development*      [hidden email]
      skype: olivierseres
        Linkedin <https://fr.linkedin.com/in/olivierseres>
      Mobile : +33 6 61 31 2001

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Mahomed Hussein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This P2 is much nicer, but I still prefer P4.
>
> I can see why some people like P2 as it is more descriptive. But, P4 still
> matches the current icons better (and I am guessing not many people have
> complained that they don't know what those mysterious buttons in the top
> right are for.) Additionally there's a tool tip when you hover over the
> buttons and once you know what the button does, you don't actually need the
> label.
>
> The icons are pretty universal as well. i.e. a Pencil indicates editing
> and a Plus sign indicates "adding".
>
> I don't suppose this could be a wiki wide configurable option? :) Or maybe
> something that can be turned on/off with a class in the skin.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Mahomed Hussein
> Custodian Data Centre
> Email: [hidden email]
> http://www.CustodianDC.com

Opps, I wanted to vote for P4 not for P2 :-) I've mixed up the images :-)

P4 goes with existing style and makes it from design perspective consistent
with buttons for inline section editing.

Sorry

Miroslav Galajda

On 26 April 2017 at 16:34, Miroslav Galajda <[hidden email]>

> I'm voting for P2 because it is making the visual style of buttons with
> dropdown menu to look as they should look, with indication of the dropdown
> menu.
> Secondly, the visual style of the edit page button will keep consistent
> with the buttons for inline section editing.
>
> Best regards,
> Miroslav Galajda
>

> On 26 April 2017 at 15:27, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is getting interesting since I know users that like the P2 version
>> and
>> actually it was one of the first choices for re-implementation.
>>
>> I guess we need more votes to reach a conclusion.
>> Thanks to everyone that is participating,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Jesse Bright <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > They both look great but I like the look of P4 better.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Jesse

>> > icon
>> contain

>> ledActions/
>> > advancedUser.png
>> > IdeaLabeledActions/P4_1_bigger.png

>> is
>> with

>> > category
>> ledActions/
>> > moreActions.png

>> > you

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Some summary until now:
P2: Craig, Olivier
P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Miroslav Galajda <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Opps, I wanted to vote for P4 not for P2 :-) I've mixed up the images :-)
>
> P4 goes with existing style and makes it from design perspective consistent
> with buttons for inline section editing.
>
> Sorry
>
> Miroslav Galajda
>
> On 26 April 2017 at 16:34, Miroslav Galajda <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm voting for P2 because it is making the visual style of buttons with
> > dropdown menu to look as they should look, with indication of the
> dropdown
> > menu.
> > Secondly, the visual style of the edit page button will keep consistent
> > with the buttons for inline section editing.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Miroslav Galajda
> >

> > On 26 April 2017 at 15:27, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> This is getting interesting since I know users that like the P2 version
> >> and
> >> actually it was one of the first choices for re-implementation.
> >>
> >> I guess we need more votes to reach a conclusion.
> >> Thanks to everyone that is participating,
> >> Caty

> and
> 'cog'
> >> contain

> >> ledActions/

> >> is
> >> with

> >> ledActions/

> Did

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

oseres
Also consider that only advanced users are expressing their opinions here.
(Newcomers and non-experienced wiki users rarely post in mailing lists, so
we must figure out how they can understand the interface)

Olivier

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some summary until now:
> P2: Craig, Olivier
> P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Miroslav Galajda <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Opps, I wanted to vote for P4 not for P2 :-) I've mixed up the images :-)
> >
> > P4 goes with existing style and makes it from design perspective
> consistent
> > with buttons for inline section editing.
> >
> > Sorry
> >
> > Miroslav Galajda
> >
> > On 26 April 2017 at 16:34, Miroslav Galajda <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm voting for P2 because it is making the visual style of buttons with
> > > dropdown menu to look as they should look, with indication of the
> > dropdown
> > > menu.
> > > Secondly, the visual style of the edit page button will keep consistent
> > > with the buttons for inline section editing.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Miroslav Galajda
> > >

> > > On 26 April 2017 at 15:27, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]>

> version

> [hidden email]>

> > and
> > 'cog'

> difference
> consistency

> > Did

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Vishal
I vote for P4. But will prefer P4 more, because pencil and plus icons are good enough to convey the meaning of action.
I guess everyone working on a page would at least have a basic idea of what she is doing.. so just P4 icons could suffice.
And the newcomers without any slight idea of wiki couldn't understand even if P2 is there.

And yes, the cog actions can be merged with three dots..

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Clément Aubin

On 04/27/2017 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> Some summary until now:
> P2: Craig, Olivier
> P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav

As a «fresh» user, I would prefer P2, mostly because I don’t think that
every newcomer will have the intuition to look at the top-right corner
of the page for its options. Adding labels allows for those three icons
to be more visible.

We could also display the icons labels only if the user has the «simple»
user profile and remove them as soon as he becomes more advanced.

Clément Aubin
Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>

> On 04/27/2017 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> > Some summary until now:
> > P2: Craig, Olivier
> > P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav
>
> As a «fresh» user, I would prefer P2, mostly because I don’t think that
> every newcomer will have the intuition to look at the top-right corner
> of the page for its options. Adding labels allows for those three icons
> to be more visible.

From an usability perspective, having labels is unbeatable both for new
users and advanced users.

> We could also display the icons labels only if the user has the «simple»
> user profile and remove them as soon as he becomes more advanced.

Not sure about making this configurable. It's a simple decision, we need to
agree on a default. With this approach we make everything in XWiki
configurable.

The advantage of reaching to newcomers is that in time they will also
become advanced users. We want to encourage user transformation. Also I
don't think users that start with a more explicit interface will like the
change after, since they will become accustomed to it.

> Clément Aubin
> Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
> [hidden email]
> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 09:57, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>

>> On 04/27/2017 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>>> Some summary until now:
>>> P2: Craig, Olivier
>>> P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav
>>
>> As a «fresh» user, I would prefer P2, mostly because I don’t think that
>> every newcomer will have the intuition to look at the top-right corner
>> of the page for its options. Adding labels allows for those three icons
>> to be more visible.
>>

> From an usability perspective, having labels is unbeatable both for new
> users and advanced users.

I agree for new users but not for advanced. Users who’ve used those button just once know about them and don’t need the labels. I’d go as far as saying that the labels could actually be distracting by taking more visual space and catching your eyes when you look at the UI as a whole and want to focus on the content.

Now this could be minor and the advantages for the newcomers could be more important than the small downside for returning users.