[Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

vmassol
Administrator

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 10:01, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> On 28 Apr 2017, at 09:57, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On 04/27/2017 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>>>> Some summary until now:
>>>> P2: Craig, Olivier
>>>> P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav
>>>
>>> As a «fresh» user, I would prefer P2, mostly because I don’t think that
>>> every newcomer will have the intuition to look at the top-right corner
>>> of the page for its options. Adding labels allows for those three icons
>>> to be more visible.
>>>
>>>
>> From an usability perspective, having labels is unbeatable both for new
>> users and advanced users.
>
> I agree for new users but not for advanced.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say “advanced” here. I mean to see “users who’ve used the buttons once”.

Thanks
-Vincent

> Users who’ve used those button just once know about them and don’t need the labels. I’d go as far as saying that the labels could actually be distracting by taking more visual space and catching your eyes when you look at the UI as a whole and want to focus on the content.
>
> Now this could be minor and the advantages for the newcomers could be more important than the small downside for returning users.
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
>> We could also display the icons labels only if the user has the «simple»
>>> user profile and remove them as soon as he becomes more advanced.
>>>
>>
>> Not sure about making this configurable. It's a simple decision, we need to
>> agree on a default. With this approach we make everything in XWiki
>> configurable.
>>
>> The advantage of reaching to newcomers is that in time they will also
>> become advanced users. We want to encourage user transformation. Also I
>> don't think users that start with a more explicit interface will like the
>> change after, since they will become accustomed to it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clément Aubin
>>> Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
>>> [hidden email]
>>> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

mahomed
In reply to this post by vmassol
> I’d go as far as saying that the labels could actually be distracting by taking more visual
> space and catching your eyes when you look at the UI as a whole and want to focus on the
> content.

I totally agree with this about the UI and wasted space and distractions.

> Now this could be minor and the advantages for the newcomers could be more important than the
> small downside for returning users.

Well newcomers just need to learn about the functions of the buttons by using them once or twice. Whereas the rest of us have to deal with the wasted space and distraction forever more :) Also, can't the concern about newcomers (and the introduction to the purpose of the buttons) be addressed with the tour application that now runs for new users?

Honestly I don't think everyone is going to agree on this. Whatever the XWiki team chooses, will probably be fine. People will complain for a bit and just move on with life. So I think the team should just take the result from the poll and implement that as I think the topic could continue indefinitely :-)


Kind regards,




Mahomed Hussein
Custodian Data Centre
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.CustodianDC.com

-----Original Message-----
From: users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Vincent Massol
Sent: 28 April 2017 09:02
To: XWiki Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions


> On 28 Apr 2017, at 09:57, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Clément Aubin
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 04/27/2017 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>>> Some summary until now:
>>> P2: Craig, Olivier
>>> P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav
>>
>> As a «fresh» user, I would prefer P2, mostly because I don’t think
>> that every newcomer will have the intuition to look at the top-right
>> corner of the page for its options. Adding labels allows for those
>> three icons to be more visible.
>>
>>
> From an usability perspective, having labels is unbeatable both for
> new users and advanced users.

I agree for new users but not for advanced. Users who’ve used those button just once know about them and don’t need the labels. I’d go as far as saying that the labels could actually be distracting by taking more visual space and catching your eyes when you look at the UI as a whole and want to focus on the content.

Now this could be minor and the advantages for the newcomers could be more important than the small downside for returning users.

Thanks
-Vincent

> We could also display the icons labels only if the user has the
> «simple»
>> user profile and remove them as soon as he becomes more advanced.
>>
>
> Not sure about making this configurable. It's a simple decision, we
> need to agree on a default. With this approach we make everything in
> XWiki configurable.
>
> The advantage of reaching to newcomers is that in time they will also
> become advanced users. We want to encourage user transformation. Also
> I don't think users that start with a more explicit interface will
> like the change after, since they will become accustomed to it.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Clément Aubin
>> Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
>> [hidden email]
>> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content Actions

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi,

So after 2 weeks of available time to express opinions I have some
conclusions: we are going to implement P2.
I've created http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14265
We are going to make sure to have a span around the labels so that they can
be easily hidden in custom skins.

We had 42 votes around the subject held on 4 channels, for more details see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions#HVoting
P2 had 65% of the votes, while P4 35%.

Thanks everyone for the votes
Caty

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Mahomed Hussein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > I’d go as far as saying that the labels could actually be distracting by
> taking more visual
> > space and catching your eyes when you look at the UI as a whole and want
> to focus on the
> > content.
>
> I totally agree with this about the UI and wasted space and distractions.
>
> > Now this could be minor and the advantages for the newcomers could be
> more important than the
> > small downside for returning users.
>
> Well newcomers just need to learn about the functions of the buttons by
> using them once or twice. Whereas the rest of us have to deal with the
> wasted space and distraction forever more :) Also, can't the concern about
> newcomers (and the introduction to the purpose of the buttons) be addressed
> with the tour application that now runs for new users?
>
> Honestly I don't think everyone is going to agree on this. Whatever the
> XWiki team chooses, will probably be fine. People will complain for a bit
> and just move on with life. So I think the team should just take the result
> from the poll and implement that as I think the topic could continue
> indefinitely :-)
>
>
> Kind regards,
>
>
>
>
> Mahomed Hussein
> Custodian Data Centre
> Email: [hidden email]
> http://www.CustodianDC.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Vincent Massol
> Sent: 28 April 2017 09:02
> To: XWiki Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] [Proposal][UX] Feedback for Explicit Content
> Actions
>
>
> > On 28 Apr 2017, at 09:57, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Clément Aubin
> > <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> On 04/27/2017 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> >>> Some summary until now:
> >>> P2: Craig, Olivier
> >>> P4: Mahomed, Steffen, Jesse, Miroslav
> >>
> >> As a «fresh» user, I would prefer P2, mostly because I don’t think
> >> that every newcomer will have the intuition to look at the top-right
> >> corner of the page for its options. Adding labels allows for those
> >> three icons to be more visible.
> >>
> >>
> > From an usability perspective, having labels is unbeatable both for
> > new users and advanced users.
>
> I agree for new users but not for advanced. Users who’ve used those button
> just once know about them and don’t need the labels. I’d go as far as
> saying that the labels could actually be distracting by taking more visual
> space and catching your eyes when you look at the UI as a whole and want to
> focus on the content.
>
> Now this could be minor and the advantages for the newcomers could be more
> important than the small downside for returning users.
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
> > We could also display the icons labels only if the user has the
> > «simple»
> >> user profile and remove them as soon as he becomes more advanced.
> >>
> >
> > Not sure about making this configurable. It's a simple decision, we
> > need to agree on a default. With this approach we make everything in
> > XWiki configurable.
> >
> > The advantage of reaching to newcomers is that in time they will also
> > become advanced users. We want to encourage user transformation. Also
> > I don't think users that start with a more explicit interface will
> > like the change after, since they will become accustomed to it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> >
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Clément Aubin
> >> Web Developer Intern @XWiki SAS
> >> [hidden email]
> >> More about us at http://www.xwiki.com
>
>
12