[Proposal] Update database support strategy

12

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

FYI, I’ve now updated the page at https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy (but I can update/revert if need be).

>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 09:06, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> We currently have https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>>
>> However, it doesn’t say explicitly which versions we officially support:
>> * For HSQLDB it says 2.3.3 which is wrong since the latest version is 2.4.1
>> * For MySQL it says 5.x but doesn’t specify which specific version(s)
>> * Same for other DBs
>>
>> We cannot really support every versions since supporting means testing too.
>>
>> So what I propose:
>>
>> Question 1: definition
>>
>> * We say we support the latest stable version of the databases for a given version cycle
>> ** For MySQL, it’s the latest of the 5.x cycle, which is 5.7.24 as of today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/mysql/)
>> ** For PostgreSQL,  it’s the latest of the 9.x cycle, which is 9.6.10 as of today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres/)
>> ** For Oracle, it’s the latest of the 11.x cycle, which is 11.2.0.4.0 as of today (see https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html)
>>
>> Question 2: review what we support
>>
>> * For MySQL I think we could also start supporting MySQL 8.x (ie the latest version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
>> * For PostgreSQL we could also start supporting versions 11.x (ie the latest version of that cycle)
>> * For Oracle, we could also start supporting versions 12.x (ie the latest version of that cycle)
>>
>> Question 3: decide if we drop some support
>>
>> * Is there any cycle that we should support for? Right now I think that MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t know for Oracle.
>> * Any idea?
>>
>> So WDYT about the 3 questions?

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

+1
On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 5:37 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Question 2: review what we support
> >>
> >> * For MySQL I think we could also start supporting MySQL 8.x (ie the latest version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
> >> * For PostgreSQL we could also start supporting versions 11.x (ie the latest version of that cycle)
> >> * For Oracle, we could also start supporting versions 12.x (ie the latest version of that cycle)
> >>
> >> Question 3: decide if we drop some support
> >>
> >> * Is there any cycle that we should support for? Right now I think that MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t know for Oracle.
> >> * Any idea?
> >>
> >> So WDYT about the 3 questions?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

Looking good. And it's fine to take the Debian version.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 6:37 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Question 2: review what we support
> >>
> >> * For MySQL I think we could also start supporting MySQL 8.x (ie the
> latest version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
> >> * For PostgreSQL we could also start supporting versions 11.x (ie the
> latest version of that cycle)
> >> * For Oracle, we could also start supporting versions 12.x (ie the
> latest version of that cycle)
> >>
> >> Question 3: decide if we drop some support
> >>
> >> * Is there any cycle that we should support for? Right now I think that
> MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t
> know for Oracle.
> >> * Any idea?
> >>
> >> So WDYT about the 3 questions?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

Eduard Moraru
I am not up to date on the topic, but I would like to add the fact that
Debian 9 ("stretch") has actually dropped MySQL and moved officially to
MariaDB, forcefully migrating existing MySQL installed versions to MariaDB.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#mariadb-replaces-mysql

The default mysql-server package now redirects to MariaDB instead.

If we are going to follow Debian's lead, we might want to at least consider
this move.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 6:38 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Question 2: review what we support
> >>
> >> * For MySQL I think we could also start supporting MySQL 8.x (ie the
> latest version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently:
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
> >> * For PostgreSQL we could also start supporting versions 11.x (ie the
> latest version of that cycle)
> >> * For Oracle, we could also start supporting versions 12.x (ie the
> latest version of that cycle)
> >>
> >> Question 3: decide if we drop some support
> >>
> >> * Is there any cycle that we should support for? Right now I think that
> MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t
> know for Oracle.
> >> * Any idea?
> >>
> >> So WDYT about the 3 questions?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

Indeed mysql-server package (version 5.5.9999) leads to
mariadb-server-10.1 in current stretch repository.

What is surprising is that this is not the case for sid which is more
or less supposed to be the future. It's also not the case in Ubuntu
which is doing the same thing as sid.
On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 6:22 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy

> > 2.4.1

> > too.

> > given version cycle
> > today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/mysql/)
> > as of today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres/)
> > as of today (see
> > https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html
> > )

> > latest version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently:
> > https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
> > latest version of that cycle)
> > latest version of that cycle)

> > MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t
> > know for Oracle.

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

Guillaume Delhumeau
Hello,

We are in a weird situation where we don't say we support MariaDB but
"the latest
MySQL version of stable Debian repository", which is currently... MariaDB
[1]

So we need to update our strategy about this fact. I am currently setting
up a server with debian 9 (stable) and I don't know if I should install
MySQL from the Oracle repository our continue with the standard debian
package (MariaDB).

On my side, I am not against aligning ourself to debian. Basically, all
users installing XWiki with our Debian packages are using MariaDB for a
year now [2], and we never encounter any problem so far.

Thanks,

[1] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/default-mysql-server (dep:
mariadb-server-10.1)
[2] https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170617.en.html

Le lun. 12 nov. 2018 à 18:54, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> [...]
> > > 2.4.1
> version(s)

> testing
> > > too.

> > > given version cycle
> of
> > > today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/mysql/)
> 9.6.10
> > > as of today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres/)
> 11.2.0.4.0
> > > as of today (see
> > >
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html
> > > )

> > > latest version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently:
> > > https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
> the
> > > latest version of that cycle)
> > > latest version of that cycle)

> that
> > > MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

There are 2 questions here:
* Should we add support for MariaDB? And if so which versions. Just found that there’s an official docker image for it so it should be relatively easy to support MariaDB in our docker-based testing framework: https://hub.docker.com/_/mariadb/ (TestContainers also has a wrapper now for MariaDB: https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/tree/master/modules/mariadb). Note that the MariaDB versions don’t match the MySQL versions.
* Should we drop support for MySQL?

FTR, I’ve tried adding support for MariaDB and it’s currently not working, because of https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/issues/949. But we could provide a PR to them with not so big efforts or using a GenericContainer (less nice).

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:21 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 13 Nov 2018, at 11:58, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > There are 2 questions here:
> > * Should we add support for MariaDB? And if so which versions. Just
> found that there’s an official docker image for it so it should be
> relatively easy to support MariaDB in our docker-based testing framework:
> https://hub.docker.com/_/mariadb/ (TestContainers also has a wrapper now
> for MariaDB:
> https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/tree/master/modules/mariadb).
> Note that the MariaDB versions don’t match the MySQL versions.
>
> FTR, I’ve tried adding support for MariaDB and it’s currently not working,
> because of
> https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/issues/949. But we
> could provide a PR to them with not so big efforts or using a
> GenericContainer (less nice).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it looks like we're mixing XWiki's support
of the MariaDB database itself with XWiki's test infrastructure's
capability to support a MariaDB database container, which looks a bit
off-topic to me. I get that we need it integrated in our tests to detect
anomalies, but I don't really see it as an eliminatory criterion.

Thanks,
Eduard

> [...]

>> for MariaDB:
>> https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/tree/master/modules/mariadb).
>> Note that the MariaDB versions don’t match the MySQL versions.
>>
>> FTR, I’ve tried adding support for MariaDB and it’s currently not working,
>> because of
>> https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/issues/949. But we
>> could provide a PR to them with not so big efforts or using a
>> GenericContainer (less nice).
>>

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it looks like we're mixing XWiki's support
> of the MariaDB database itself with XWiki's test infrastructure's
> capability to support a MariaDB database container, which looks a bit
> off-topic to me. I get that we need it integrated in our tests to detect
> anomalies, but I don't really see it as an eliminatory criterion.

I agree. Some comments:

1) This thread was not about deciding which DB to support. It was to define a strategy to be more explicit in the versions that we support for the various already supported DBs.
2) I also started this thread because the goal is to automate the tests. If the idea is to add more work for manual tests then the answer is no, we don’t want to increase the # of DBs we support since we don’t have the manpower to do that. At least I would be against it simply because we can’t do it for practical purposes.
3) MariaDB support in TC is not a big deal, as I mentioned already (there are several ways to fix it).

BTW on this point, the issue I had was fixed in https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/pull/950 (just need to wait for the next release to get it now, shouldn’t be too long).

> 4) As I said on this thread, there are only 2 questions to answer from my POV:
> * Should we add support for MariaDB? And if so which versions.
> * Should we drop support for MySQL?

>> Eduard
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> MariaDB

>>> setting

>>> [hidden email]> a

>>> that
>>>>>>>

>>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#mariadb-replaces-mysql

>>> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mysql-server&searchon=names&exact=1
>>>>>>>>
>>> packages.debian.org/search?keywords=postgresql&searchon=names&exact=1

>>> it
>>> we

>>> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy

>>> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy

>>> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

>>> the
>>> currently:

>>> Don’t

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

Simon Urli
Hi everyone,

I reactivate this thread because of some issues with Oracle 12.
We announced in November 2018 that we supported Oracle 12 and at that
time we said that we needed to test properly XWiki with Oracle 12.

Apparently we didn't really perform such test and we obtained a first
major issue with it in April 2019: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-16327
 From what I understand and what Ilie said on the chat this issue
basically prevents from using XWiki with Oracle 12 right now.

FTR even if we announced supporting Oracle 12, for now we only perform
some automated docker test with Oracle 11 (see:
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Testing/DockerTesting/#HConfigurationsoptions).

So I propose that for now we downgrade to Oracle 11 in
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/DatabaseSupportStrategy
until we prove that XWiki can indeed be used with Oracle 12.
This involves at least to fix XWIKI-16327 and to perform a manual
testing of XWiki with Oracle 12.

WDYT?

Simon

On 15/11/2018 08:27, Vincent Massol wrote:

>> On 14 Nov 2018, at 16:08, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it looks like we're mixing XWiki's support
>>> of the MariaDB database itself with XWiki's test infrastructure's
>>> capability to support a MariaDB database container, which looks a bit
>>> off-topic to me. I get that we need it integrated in our tests to detect
>>> anomalies, but I don't really see it as an eliminatory criterion.
>>
>> I agree. Some comments:
>>
>> 1) This thread was not about deciding which DB to support. It was to define a strategy to be more explicit in the versions that we support for the various already supported DBs.
>> 2) I also started this thread because the goal is to automate the tests. If the idea is to add more work for manual tests then the answer is no, we don’t want to increase the # of DBs we support since we don’t have the manpower to do that. At least I would be against it simply because we can’t do it for practical purposes.
>> 3) MariaDB support in TC is not a big deal, as I mentioned already (there are several ways to fix it).
>
> BTW on this point, the issue I had was fixed in https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/pull/950 (just need to wait for the next release to get it now, shouldn’t be too long).

>> 4) As I said on this thread, there are only 2 questions to answer from my POV:
>> * Should we add support for MariaDB? And if so which versions.
>> * Should we drop support for MySQL?

>>> Thanks,
>>> Eduard

--
Simon Urli
Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [Proposal] Update database support strategy

Big +1 to downgrade, the current situation does not make any sense.