[Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

[Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

We now have https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/ but it’s not precise enough.

I’m proposing the following:

* Mention the supported version cycle and mention that we support the latest version of the cycle.
* For Tomcat, I propose to say we support Tomcat 8.x (which means Tomcat 8.5.34 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)
* For Jetty (standalone packaging or standard), I propose to say we support Jetty 9.x (which means Jetty 9.4.12 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/jetty/)

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Marius Dumitru Florea
+1

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We now have
> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/
> but it’s not precise enough.
>
> I’m proposing the following:
>
> * Mention the supported version cycle and mention that we support the
> latest version of the cycle.
> * For Tomcat, I propose to say we support Tomcat 8.x (which means Tomcat
> 8.5.34 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)
> * For Jetty (standalone packaging or standard), I propose to say we
> support Jetty 9.x (which means Jetty 9.4.12 as of today, see “latest” tag
> on https://hub.docker.com/_/jetty/)

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Adel Atallah
Hi Vincent,

+1

Thanks,
Adel

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Marius Dumitru Florea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We now have
> > https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/
> > but it’s not precise enough.
> >
> > I’m proposing the following:
> >
> > * Mention the supported version cycle and mention that we support the
> > latest version of the cycle.
> > * For Tomcat, I propose to say we support Tomcat 8.x (which means Tomcat
> > 8.5.34 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)
> > * For Jetty (standalone packaging or standard), I propose to say we
> > support Jetty 9.x (which means Jetty 9.4.12 as of today, see “latest” tag
> > on https://hub.docker.com/_/jetty/)
> >
> > WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Actually there is another very important thing missing in that page:
we should also indicate explicitly the minimum version of the Servlet
API required by XWiki (currently 3.0.1).

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Adel
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Marius Dumitru Florea
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marius
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > We now have
> > > https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/
> > > but it’s not precise enough.
> > >
> > > I’m proposing the following:
> > >
> > > * Mention the supported version cycle and mention that we support the
> > > latest version of the cycle.
> > > * For Tomcat, I propose to say we support Tomcat 8.x (which means Tomcat
> > > 8.5.34 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)

Actually from Tomcat point of view 8.0.x and 8.5.x are two different
cycles so it would be more clear to say we support 8.5.x.

This is listed on https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adel
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Marius Dumitru Florea
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marius

> Actually from Tomcat point of view 8.0.x and 8.5.x are two different
> cycles so it would be more clear to say we support 8.5.x.

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:44, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:42, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Actually there is another very important thing missing in that page:
>> we should also indicate explicitly the minimum version of the Servlet
>> API required by XWiki (currently 3.0.1).
>
> This is listed on https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

and ofc all the supported versions obey our requirements, ie servlet api > 3.0.1 ;)

>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adel

>> Actually from Tomcat point of view 8.0.x and 8.5.x are two different
>> cycles so it would be more clear to say we support 8.5.x.

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

I know but it should also be on the support page IMO.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:42, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Actually there is another very important thing missing in that page:
> > we should also indicate explicitly the minimum version of the Servlet
> > API required by XWiki (currently 3.0.1).
>
> This is listed on https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:30 AM Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Vincent,
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Adel

> > Actually from Tomcat point of view 8.0.x and 8.5.x are two different
> > cycles so it would be more clear to say we support 8.5.x.

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:53, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I know but it should also be on the support page IMO.

I prefer to have it in a single place (no dup). We could link to it though. Right now the flow is that you find the requirements first and then this is from there that you find the support pages.

But I’m not against linking in the 2 directions. What’s important for me is that all requirements are listed on  https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements since that’s the main place.

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:42, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually there is another very important thing missing in that page:
>>> we should also indicate explicitly the minimum version of the Servlet
>>> API required by XWiki (currently 3.0.1).
>>
>> This is listed on https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

>>> Actually from Tomcat point of view 8.0.x and 8.5.x are two different
>>> cycles so it would be more clear to say we support 8.5.x.

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+ 1 to have:
Tomcat 8.5.x
Jetty 9.x

Not sure why we have 2 entries for Jetty. If we want to provide 2
Installation links, then we should have 2 links inside the "Installation
Instructions" column, but not sure we need 2 rows for Jetty. It's confusing.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:57 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:53, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I know but it should also be on the support page IMO.
>
> I prefer to have it in a single place (no dup). We could link to it
> though. Right now the flow is that you find the requirements first and then
> this is from there that you find the support pages.
>
> But I’m not against linking in the 2 directions. What’s important for me
> is that all requirements are listed on
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements
> since that’s the main place.

> >> This is listed on
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

> the
> Tomcat
> https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)

> “latest” tag

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Hi Caty,

> On 31 Oct 2018, at 14:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> + 1 to have:
> Tomcat 8.5.x
> Jetty 9.x
>
> Not sure why we have 2 entries for Jetty. If we want to provide 2
> Installation links, then we should have 2 links inside the "Installation
> Instructions" column, but not sure we need 2 rows for Jetty. It's confusing.

I've just spent 10 minutes trying to merge them and couldn’t find something better…

So the reasons for the 2 lines is that we support 2 packagings of Jetty:
* custom XWiki packaging of Jetty used in the XWiki Standalone distribution
* official standard Jetty distribution as provided by the Jetty project

Feel free to improve it if you find a better way.

> Caty
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:57 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:53, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know but it should also be on the support page IMO.
>>
>> I prefer to have it in a single place (no dup). We could link to it
>> though. Right now the flow is that you find the requirements first and then
>> this is from there that you find the support pages.
>>
>> But I’m not against linking in the 2 directions. What’s important for me
>> is that all requirements are listed on
>> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements
>> since that’s the main place.

>> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

>> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

>> the
>> Tomcat
>> https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)

>> “latest” tag

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
If you are curious about the trends:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?cat=13&q=%2Fm%2F01chz8,%2Fm%2F01b55d,%2Fm%2F0cdjtt,%2Fm%2F08pwxx,%2Fm%2F037njz
https://plumbr.io/blog/java/most-popular-java-application-servers-2017-edition

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:14 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> > On 31 Oct 2018, at 14:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > + 1 to have:
> > Tomcat 8.5.x
> > Jetty 9.x
> >
> > Not sure why we have 2 entries for Jetty. If we want to provide 2
> > Installation links, then we should have 2 links inside the "Installation
> > Instructions" column, but not sure we need 2 rows for Jetty. It's
> confusing.
>
> I've just spent 10 minutes trying to merge them and couldn’t find
> something better…
>
> So the reasons for the 2 lines is that we support 2 packagings of Jetty:
> * custom XWiki packaging of Jetty used in the XWiki Standalone distribution
> * official standard Jetty distribution as provided by the Jetty project
>
> Feel free to improve it if you find a better way.

> > Caty

> >> I prefer to have it in a single place (no dup). We could link to it
> >> though. Right now the flow is that you find the requirements first and
> then
> >> this is from there that you find the support pages.
> >>
> >> But I’m not against linking in the 2 directions. What’s important for me
> >> is that all requirements are listed on
> >>
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements
> >> since that’s the main place.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

> [hidden email]>

> [hidden email]>

> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

> >> the
> >> Tomcat
> >> https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)

> we
> >> “latest” tag

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

So I’m proposing:

* Tomcat: latest of debian oldstable/stable/unstable for tomcat 8.x, see https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=tomcat8&exact=1 (in practice that’s 8.0.x and 8.5.x).

@Thomas: I see that we provide a tomcat7 and tomcat8 packaging for debian. Should we drop the tomcat7 one? I don’t think we should support it.

* Jetty: latest of debian oldstable/stable/unstable for jetty 9.x, see https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=jetty9&exact=1 (in practice that’s 9.2.x). NOTE: Strange that “unstable” is lagging behind so much and that Jetty 9.4.x is not being tested. Anyway it’s easier to follow the debian repos.

* Jetty Standaline: latest of Jetty 9.x, (i.e. 9.4.x FROM)

I’m updating https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/ , let me know if you disagree.

Page updated at https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

> On 13 Nov 2018, at 11:25, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So I’m proposing:
>
> * Tomcat: latest of debian oldstable/stable/unstable for tomcat 8.x, see https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=tomcat8&exact=1 (in practice that’s 8.0.x and 8.5.x).
>
> @Thomas: I see that we provide a tomcat7 and tomcat8 packaging for debian. Should we drop the tomcat7 one? I don’t think we should support it.
>
> * Jetty: latest of debian oldstable/stable/unstable for jetty 9.x, see https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=jetty9&exact=1 (in practice that’s 9.2.x). NOTE: Strange that “unstable” is lagging behind so much and that Jetty 9.4.x is not being tested. Anyway it’s easier to follow the debian repos.
>
> * Jetty Standaline: latest of Jetty 9.x, (i.e. 9.4.x FROM)
>
> I’m updating https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/ , let me know if you disagree.

>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:04, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> We now have https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/ but it’s not precise enough.
>>
>> I’m proposing the following:
>>
>> * Mention the supported version cycle and mention that we support the latest version of the cycle.
>> * For Tomcat, I propose to say we support Tomcat 8.x (which means Tomcat 8.5.34 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/tomcat/)
>> * For Jetty (standalone packaging or standard), I propose to say we support Jetty 9.x (which means Jetty 9.4.12 as of today, see “latest” tag on https://hub.docker.com/_/jetty/)
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: [Proposal] Update servlet container support strategy

Forgot to mention that similar than for DBs, I plan to only add support for Tomcat 8.5.x latest and Jetty 9.2.x latest (+ Jetty 9.4.x latest for the standalone version) in the job running all the functional tests and run the other supported versions of tomcat in the job doing smoke tests.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:25 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I’m proposing:
>
> * Tomcat: latest of debian oldstable/stable/unstable for tomcat 8.x, see https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=tomcat8&exact=1 (in practice that’s 8.0.x and 8.5.x).
>
> @Thomas: I see that we provide a tomcat7 and tomcat8 packaging for debian. Should we drop the tomcat7 one? I don’t think we should support it.

Actually I have the need myself (some server stuck on a old Ubuntu
14.04 that I need to migrate) so I'm not going to delete it just yet
:) But +1 to officially not support it yes.