[Proposal] XE 1.2 Roadmap

Hi everyone,

We need to start defining the content of XE 1.2 and the time frame.

Looking at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Idea/FeaturesFor11 we
can see that there are a lot of leftovers.

Content
=======

I propose the following content for 1.2:

* Priority 1: bug fixing. We have even more bugs in jira than before
we started 1.1 (unless I'm mistaken). In platform only we have about
171 bugs listed. There were 108 when we started 1.1.

* Priority 2: Cleaning up
- cleaning up skins
- cleaning up XE into separate applications (Blogs, Search, etc)
- cleaning up resource files (and implementing the mechanism defined
on the list for application resources)
- cleaning up JS libraries

* Priority 2: New rights UI

* Priority 3: Other features
- Scheduler plugin to finish (note that now that this plugin is
outside XE it can be worked on in a different lifecycle)
- Notification and mail plugins (same comment as for the scheduler
plugin)
- Anything that helps navigation and usability of XE

Note: We already have important changes in 1.2 trunk (recycle bin,
new history table, etc) which alone would warrant a release so we
don't need to add many more features. This is also why I think we
should focus on making these work properly with nice UIs and fix
existing bugs rather than try to cram more features. The only
exception is the new Rights UI which we badly need. We also badly
need Mail/Notification plugin.

Milestones
=========

I propose to release a 1.2 final version before Javapolis, which
starts on the 10th of December. We'll be present there so I think it
would be very good if we came with a new version ready.

Thus I propose the following schedule:

1.2M1: 1st of October
1.2M2: 15th of October
1.2M3: 29th of October
1.2RC1: 12th of November
1.2RC2: 19th of November
1.2 final: 26th of November

This gives us an error margin of about 15 working days (more with
week ends ;)) for making it to Javapolis, which I think is good
enough. We just need to be careful to do time boxing properly and
release the milestones on agreed dates.

Re: [Proposal] XE 1.2 Roadmap

Jean-Vincent Drean
> * Priority 3: Other features
> - Scheduler plugin to finish (note that now that this plugin is
> outside XE it can be worked on in a different lifecycle)
> - Notification and mail plugins (same comment as for the scheduler
> plugin)
> - Anything that helps navigation and usability of XE

- lucene as the default search engine

> Note: We already have important changes in 1.2 trunk (recycle bin,
> new history table, etc) which alone would warrant a release so we
> don't need to add many more features. This is also why I think we
> should focus on making these work properly with nice UIs and fix
> existing bugs rather than try to cram more features. The only
> exception is the new Rights UI which we badly need.

(1.2 codename "sexy xwiki")

JV.

Re: [Proposal] XE 1.2 Roadmap

ebullient
On 9/11/07, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (1.2 codename "sexy xwiki")

Takes too long to say. why not "vixen" .. :-P

--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

Re: [Proposal] XE 1.2 Roadmap

As I didn't get any answer from this I supposed it's ok with everyone
so I'll put it in JIRA (for the release dates) and on xwiki.org for
the 1.2 content definition.

Thus our next challenge is 1.2M1 to be released for 1st of October
(next week).