[Proposal] XS 10.7 roadmap on BFD+Test

We’re having a tough time maintaining the quality of XWiki Standard these days (not enough people).

We used to be able to contain bugs and have as many bugs closed than created over 1600 days. We’ve now slipped back to 330+ bugs that have been opened vs created over 1600 days. +116 over 500 days. +96 over 365 days. And +49 over 120 days. BFD days have little impact with that many bugs (since there are about 1-2 devs participating to XS’s BFDs).

In addition I’ve measure our Test Coverage since end of 2017 and we’ve lost coverage compared to before which is really bad (see my other emails). In short this means that we’re hurrying to finish work from the roadmaps without taking enough time to write the proper tests. This will have an important impact in the future if we don’t react.

Thus I’d like to propose that we spend the XS 10.7 roadmap (1 month in August) on bug fixing and writing more tests. It’ll probably not be enough but it’ll help a lot.

Let me know if someone has a counter-proposal or an issue with this proposal.

Re: [Proposal] XS 10.7 roadmap on BFD+Test

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We’re having a tough time maintaining the quality of XWiki Standard these days (not enough people).
>
> We used to be able to contain bugs and have as many bugs closed than created over 1600 days. We’ve now slipped back to 330+ bugs that have been opened vs created over 1600 days. +116 over 500 days. +96 over 365 days. And +49 over 120 days. BFD days have little impact with that many bugs (since there are about 1-2 devs participating to XS’s BFDs).
>
> In addition I’ve measure our Test Coverage since end of 2017 and we’ve lost coverage compared to before which is really bad (see my other emails). In short this means that we’re hurrying to finish work from the roadmaps without taking enough time to write the proper tests. This will have an important impact in the future if we don’t react.
>
> Thus I’d like to propose that we spend the XS 10.7 roadmap (1 month in August) on bug fixing and writing more tests. It’ll probably not be enough but it’ll help a lot.
>
> Let me know if someone has a counter-proposal or an issue with this proposal.

Re: [Proposal] XS 10.7 roadmap on BFD+Test

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

> +1
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We’re having a tough time maintaining the quality of XWiki Standard
> these days (not enough people).
> >
> > We used to be able to contain bugs and have as many bugs closed than
> created over 1600 days. We’ve now slipped back to 330+ bugs that have been
> opened vs created over 1600 days. +116 over 500 days. +96 over 365 days.
> And +49 over 120 days. BFD days have little impact with that many bugs
> (since there are about 1-2 devs participating to XS’s BFDs).
> >
> > In addition I’ve measure our Test Coverage since end of 2017 and we’ve
> lost coverage compared to before which is really bad (see my other emails).
> In short this means that we’re hurrying to finish work from the roadmaps
> without taking enough time to write the proper tests. This will have an
> important impact in the future if we don’t react.
> >
> > Thus I’d like to propose that we spend the XS 10.7 roadmap (1 month in
> August) on bug fixing and writing more tests. It’ll probably not be enough
> but it’ll help a lot.
> >
> > Let me know if someone has a counter-proposal or an issue with this
> proposal.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] XS 10.7 roadmap on BFD+Test

Eduard Moraru
+1

Thanks,
Eduard

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We’re having a tough time maintaining the quality of XWiki Standard
> these days (not enough people).
> >
> > We used to be able to contain bugs and have as many bugs closed than
> created over 1600 days. We’ve now slipped back to 330+ bugs that have been
> opened vs created over 1600 days. +116 over 500 days. +96 over 365 days.
> And +49 over 120 days. BFD days have little impact with that many bugs
> (since there are about 1-2 devs participating to XS’s BFDs).
> >
> > In addition I’ve measure our Test Coverage since end of 2017 and we’ve
> lost coverage compared to before which is really bad (see my other emails).
> In short this means that we’re hurrying to finish work from the roadmaps
> without taking enough time to write the proper tests. This will have an
> important impact in the future if we don’t react.
> >
> > Thus I’d like to propose that we spend the XS 10.7 roadmap (1 month in
> August) on bug fixing and writing more tests. It’ll probably not be enough
> but it’ll help a lot.
> >
> > Let me know if someone has a counter-proposal or an issue with this
> proposal.

Re: [Proposal] XS 10.7 roadmap on BFD+Test

caubin
+1

Thanks,
Clément