Proposal: XWiki Maven2 migration

Zhong ZHENG-2
Hi the XWiki Team,

I found in the mailing list archives that you are planning to use maven to build xwiki. I am a committer to the apache pluto project, which uses maven2. Thus i got some experience on maven 2. (Mr. Vincent Massol must be a maven master, since he is on the maven team :) I would like to help you migrate to maven.

I checked out the xwiki source from subversion, and am trying to re-organize the project layout and create pom.xml files. Currently i am still dealing with the dependencies. I would like to propose to separate the xwiki project into small subprojects, and decouple the APIs from the implementation (such as user api and different implementations, plugin api and different plugin implementations, etc.). That will make the source more clear and more readable.

I don't know how to help on this topic. Re-organizing the project layout introduces too many modifications on the project, which may have a lot of impacts on the current development, and it's difficult to generate svndiff and create patches. I would like to know if it is possible to apply for joining the dev team and create a new branch in svn for the maven migration.

I am taking a look at the JCR spec currently, since I created a java wiki engine project ( <a href="http://people.apache.org/%7Ezheng/elsie/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://people.apache.org/~zheng/elsie/ ) and am thinking of refactoring it using JCR and apache jackrabbit. I found that you are also planning to implement the xwiki repository using JCR. I would like to help and contribute to this subproject too.

Best regards.

--
ZHENG Zhong
- <a href="http://heavyz.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://heavyz.blogspot.com/

Re: Proposal: XWiki Maven2 migration

Ludovic Dubost

Hi Zhong,

Happy new Year (I'll come up with a longer email a little later).

You are welcome to help on the migration to maven 2. I know Vincent did
a first try when Maven was still alpha. I'll check with him to see if
there is anything usable from his work.

Indeed it would be great to create some submodules for each XWiki
module. This of course needs a little discussion to decide what you be a
module and what should be in the core.

I think a first split would be:

core
core-doc
core-objects
core-api
core-web
store-rcs
store-hibernate
render
render-radeox
render-velocity
render-groovy
user-xwiki
user-ldap
user-exo
plugin
plugin-core
plugin-packaging
plugin-fileupload
plugin-xyz
stats
pdf
xmlrpc (or webservice)

It might be a little too detailed. I think in the process of splitting
in modules we might want to use a container system.
We've been discussing OSGi with Mandriva and eXo is using
picocontainer.. It might be a good time to think about it more in details.

Indeed it will have some impact in the development. I suggest we do this
on a branch. The objective is to get out a new release with the wysiwyg
editor and the new skins, so this should be work for the next release

Ludovic

Zhong ZHENG a écrit :

> Hi the XWiki Team,
>
> I found in the mailing list archives that you are planning to use
> maven to build xwiki. I am a committer to the apache pluto project,
> which uses maven2. Thus i got some experience on maven 2. (Mr. Vincent
> Massol must be a maven master, since he is on the maven team :) I
> would like to help you migrate to maven.
>
> I checked out the xwiki source from subversion, and am trying to
> re-organize the project layout and create pom.xml files. Currently i
> am still dealing with the dependencies. I would like to propose to
> separate the xwiki project into small subprojects, and decouple the
> APIs from the implementation (such as user api and different
> implementations, plugin api and different plugin implementations,
> etc.). That will make the source more clear and more readable.
>
> I don't know how to help on this topic. Re-organizing the project
> layout introduces too many modifications on the project, which may
> have a lot of impacts on the current development, and it's difficult
> to generate svndiff and create patches. I would like to know if it is
> possible to apply for joining the dev team and create a new branch in
> svn for the maven migration.
>
> I am taking a look at the JCR spec currently, since I created a java
> wiki engine project ( http://people.apache.org/~zheng/elsie/
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Ezheng/elsie/> ) and am thinking of
> refactoring it using JCR and apache jackrabbit. I found that you are
> also planning to implement the xwiki repository using JCR. I would
> like to help and contribute to this subproject too.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> ZHENG Zhong
> - http://heavyz.blogspot.com/
> - http://people.apache.org/~zheng/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Ezheng/>

Re: Proposal: XWiki Maven2 migration

Zhong ZHENG-2
Hi Ludovic,

Thank you for your reply. Your separation of the submodules helps me a lot for better understanding the xwiki architecture.
I'll try to refactor xwiki for maven migration. When I got something done or I got some new proposals, I'll send them.

Regards.

On 1/3/06, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Zhong,

Happy new Year (I'll come up with a longer email a little later).

You are welcome to help on the migration to maven 2. I know Vincent did
a first try when Maven was still alpha. I'll check with him to see if
there is anything usable from his work.

Indeed it would be great to create some submodules for each XWiki
module. This of course needs a little discussion to decide what you be a
module and what should be in the core.

I think a first split would be:

core
core-doc
core-objects
core-api
core-web
store-rcs
store-hibernate
render
render-radeox
render-velocity
render-groovy
user-xwiki
user-ldap
user-exo
plugin
plugin-core
plugin-packaging
plugin-fileupload
plugin-xyz
stats
pdf
xmlrpc (or webservice)

It might be a little too detailed. I think in the process of splitting
in modules we might want to use a container system.
We've been discussing OSGi with Mandriva and eXo is using
picocontainer.. It might be a good time to think about it more in details.

Indeed it will have some impact in the development. I suggest we do this
on a branch. The objective is to get out a new release with the wysiwyg
editor and the new skins, so this should be work for the next release

ZHENG Zhong
- http://heavyz.blogspot.com/
- http://people.apache.org/~zheng/

RE: Proposal: XWiki Maven2 migration

I didn't do much (I'm attaching a pom.xml that I started but it won't help
much). My main issue at the time was that ibiblio POMs were almost all
wrong. I think the situation has changed now and it should be much more
usable. I agree that the build should be split in small modules and the list
below sounds good.

> Indeed it would be great to create some submodules for each XWiki
> module. This of course needs a little discussion to decide what you be a
> module and what should be in the core.
>
> I think a first split would be:
>
> core
> core-doc
> core-objects
> core-api
> core-web
I think we should do it nested (check the cargo build for examples):

core/
  doc/
  objects/
  api/
  web/

> store-rcs
> store-hibernate

store/
  rcs/
  hibernate/

> render
> render-radeox
> render-velocity
> render-groovy

render/
  radeox/
  velocity/
  groovy/

> user-xwiki
> user-ldap
> user-exo

user/
  xwiki/
  ldap/
  exo/

> plugin
> plugin-core
> plugin-packaging
> plugin-fileupload
> plugin-xyz

plugin(s)/
  core/
  packaging/
  fileupload/
  xyz/

> stats
> pdf
> xmlrpc (or webservice)
>
> It might be a little too detailed.

It sounds good I think. It doesn't look too detailed at all.

> I think in the process of splitting
> in modules we might want to use a container system.
> We've been discussing OSGi with Mandriva and eXo is using
> picocontainer.. It might be a good time to think about it more in details.

Cool. However I don't think the module split above would be much impacting
by the choice of running inside a container or not. The modules would still
be needed. It's just their implementation that would change.

> Indeed it will have some impact in the development. I suggest we do this
> on a branch. The objective is to get out a new release with the wysiwyg
> editor and the new skins, so this should be work for the next release

My advice would be NOT to do it on branch. My personal experience (on all
projects where I have tried this) is that it doesn't work... You should
rather do it on trunk slowly (as I did when I modified the m1 build). The
reason is that the branch will never get merged in the trunk (it's just too
hard to do).

So what I'd do is simply start introducing the modules one by one and ensure
that the current build continue to work at all times and add a new m2 build
for the new modules.

This is what I've done on Cargo too and I currently have two builds sitting
next to each other but using a m2-enabled directory structure. Once our m2
build is as good as the m1 build, we'll remove the m1 build.

Thanks and happy new year too!
-Vincent

> Zhong ZHENG a écrit :
> > Hi the XWiki Team,
> >
> > I found in the mailing list archives that you are planning to use
> > maven to build xwiki. I am a committer to the apache pluto project,
> > which uses maven2. Thus i got some experience on maven 2. (Mr. Vincent
> > Massol must be a maven master, since he is on the maven team :) I
> > would like to help you migrate to maven.
> >
> > I checked out the xwiki source from subversion, and am trying to
> > re-organize the project layout and create pom.xml files. Currently i
> > am still dealing with the dependencies. I would like to propose to
> > separate the xwiki project into small subprojects, and decouple the
> > APIs from the implementation (such as user api and different
> > implementations, plugin api and different plugin implementations,
> > etc.). That will make the source more clear and more readable.
> >
> > I don't know how to help on this topic. Re-organizing the project
> > layout introduces too many modifications on the project, which may
> > have a lot of impacts on the current development, and it's difficult
> > to generate svndiff and create patches. I would like to know if it is
> > possible to apply for joining the dev team and create a new branch in
> > svn for the maven migration.
> >
> > I am taking a look at the JCR spec currently, since I created a java
> > wiki engine project ( http://people.apache.org/~zheng/elsie/
> > <http://people.apache.org/%7Ezheng/elsie/> ) and am thinking of
> > refactoring it using JCR and apache jackrabbit. I found that you are
> > also planning to implement the xwiki repository using JCR. I would
> > like to help and contribute to this subproject too.
> >
> > Best regards.
> >
> > --
> > ZHENG Zhong
> > - http://heavyz.blogspot.com/
> > - http://people.apache.org/~zheng/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Ezheng/>

> Ludovic Dubost
> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

pom.xml (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal: XWiki Maven2 migration

jeremi joslin
On 1/3/06, Zhong ZHENG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ludovic,
>
>  Thank you for your reply. Your separation of the submodules helps me a lot
> for better understanding the xwiki architecture.
>  I'll try to refactor xwiki for maven migration. When I got something done
> or I got some new proposals, I'll send them.
>
>  Regards.

Hi Zhong,
Do you progress?

The link to your wiki project seem to be broken.

-Jérémi

--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724

Re: Proposal: XWiki Maven2 migration

Zhong ZHENG-2
Hi,

I am still reading the source. When i get some progress, i will submit a patch.
BTW, my wiki project was moved to source forge, and the website is here:
http://elsie.sf.net

Regards.