[Proposal] XWiki Tools Reorganization

I'm proposing a reorg of our tools releases. Here are the proposed
changes:

1) Release each tool module separately from the others. This means
creating one jira project per tools module. Since there'll be plenty
I'll also create a new jira category called "XWiki Tools"

2) Remove the build-tools/ directory and move all tools directly in
xwiki-platform-tools

3) Rename some tools as a consequence of 2). Here are the renames I
propose:

build-verifications --> xwiki-verification-resources
build-xar-handlers --> xwiki-xar-handlers
build-xar-plugin --> xwiki-xar-plugin
build-xmldoc-update-plugin --> xwiki-xmldoc-update-plugin
shared-tests --> xwiki-shared-tests
xwiki-configuration-resources (no change)
xwiki-jetty-resources (no change)
packager --> xwiki-packager-plugin

4) Remove cryptpasswords and instead move it to the sandbox

Let me know quickly what you think since I'd like to make those
changes in the coming hours so that Jerome can release what he needs
to XWiki Watch.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki Tools Reorganization

+1

On Feb 7, 2008 2:43 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing a reorg of our tools releases. Here are the proposed
> changes:
>
> 1) Release each tool module separately from the others. This means
> creating one jira project per tools module. Since there'll be plenty
> I'll also create a new jira category called "XWiki Tools"
>
> 2) Remove the build-tools/ directory and move all tools directly in
> xwiki-platform-tools
>
> 3) Rename some tools as a consequence of 2). Here are the renames I
> propose:
>
> build-verifications --> xwiki-verification-resources
> build-xar-handlers --> xwiki-xar-handlers
> build-xar-plugin --> xwiki-xar-plugin
> build-xmldoc-update-plugin --> xwiki-xmldoc-update-plugin
> shared-tests --> xwiki-shared-tests
> xwiki-configuration-resources (no change)
> xwiki-jetty-resources (no change)
> packager --> xwiki-packager-plugin
>
> 4) Remove cryptpasswords and instead move it to the sandbox
>
> Let me know quickly what you think since I'd like to make those
> changes in the coming hours so that Jerome can release what he needs
> to XWiki Watch.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki Tools Reorganization

Jean-Vincent Drean
Fine with me.

JV.

Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing a reorg of our tools releases. Here are the proposed
> changes:
>
> 1) Release each tool module separately from the others. This means
> creating one jira project per tools module. Since there'll be plenty
> I'll also create a new jira category called "XWiki Tools"
+1, +1

> 2) Remove the build-tools/ directory and move all tools directly in
> xwiki-platform-tools
+1

> 3) Rename some tools as a consequence of 2). Here are the renames I
> propose:
+1

> build-verifications --> xwiki-verification-resources
> build-xar-handlers --> xwiki-xar-handlers
> build-xar-plugin --> xwiki-xar-plugin
> build-xmldoc-update-plugin --> xwiki-xmldoc-update-plugin
> shared-tests --> xwiki-shared-tests
> xwiki-configuration-resources (no change)
> xwiki-jetty-resources (no change)
> packager --> xwiki-packager-plugin
>
> 4) Remove cryptpasswords and instead move it to the sandbox
+1
Since I was the one who created this tool, I should say a few words
about it.

- it is supposed to update from a wiki with plaintext passwords to one
with hashed passwords
- does that using a groovy script, an xwiki.jar and a hibernate config file
- it is currently not working out-of-the-box, as it uses a deprecated
path to locate the xwiki jar
- it does not work with virtual wikis, just the main one
- it should be refactored into a proper tool, and it should be
referenced in the upgrade notes for 1.0 => new releases (I think 1.0
still had plaintext passwords, we should check when exactly did this change)
- after it is clean enough, it should be moved back into the trunks

> Let me know quickly what you think since I'd like to make those
> changes in the coming hours so that Jerome can release what he needs
> to XWiki Watch.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki Tools Reorganization

Jerome Velociter
+1 with all this.

Jerome.

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing a reorg of our tools releases. Here are the proposed
> changes:
>
> 1) Release each tool module separately from the others. This means
> creating one jira project per tools module. Since there'll be plenty
> I'll also create a new jira category called "XWiki Tools"
>
> 2) Remove the build-tools/ directory and move all tools directly in
> xwiki-platform-tools
>
> 3) Rename some tools as a consequence of 2). Here are the renames I
> propose:
>
> build-verifications --> xwiki-verification-resources
> build-xar-handlers --> xwiki-xar-handlers
> build-xar-plugin --> xwiki-xar-plugin
> build-xmldoc-update-plugin --> xwiki-xmldoc-update-plugin
> shared-tests --> xwiki-shared-tests
> xwiki-configuration-resources (no change)
> xwiki-jetty-resources (no change)
> packager --> xwiki-packager-plugin
>
> 4) Remove cryptpasswords and instead move it to the sandbox
>
> Let me know quickly what you think since I'd like to make those
> changes in the coming hours so that Jerome can release what he needs
> to XWiki Watch.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki Tools Reorganization

lucaa

+1

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing a reorg of our tools releases. Here are the proposed
> changes:
>
> 1) Release each tool module separately from the others. This means
> creating one jira project per tools module. Since there'll be plenty
> I'll also create a new jira category called "XWiki Tools"
>
> 2) Remove the build-tools/ directory and move all tools directly in
> xwiki-platform-tools
>
> 3) Rename some tools as a consequence of 2). Here are the renames I
> propose:
>
> build-verifications --> xwiki-verification-resources
> build-xar-handlers --> xwiki-xar-handlers
> build-xar-plugin --> xwiki-xar-plugin
> build-xmldoc-update-plugin --> xwiki-xmldoc-update-plugin
> shared-tests --> xwiki-shared-tests
> xwiki-configuration-resources (no change)
> xwiki-jetty-resources (no change)
> packager --> xwiki-packager-plugin
>
> 4) Remove cryptpasswords and instead move it to the sandbox
>
> Let me know quickly what you think since I'd like to make those
> changes in the coming hours so that Jerome can release what he needs
> to XWiki Watch.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki Tools Reorganization

Just wanted to mention that Jerome and I are also modifying the
groupId for tools so that all tools are located in a tools/ directory in
http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/com/xpn/xwiki/platform/

(same as what we have for plugins, applications and skins)

-Vincent