[Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

123

[Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Hi there,

I'd like to start a overhaul of the xwiki.org home page + a first
level navigation overhaul.

Today:
* Home page = list the different products
* First level nav = the ecosystem panel

Problems:
* We now have a single product: XE and all the others are actually
modules that plugin into the main products. Hence we shouldn't focus
on other products so much IMO.
* I'd like to view xwiki.org as a forge of projects. Today our top
level projects are the ones listed here: http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/
* The main page should be more dynamic and show some news and activity
instead of being static
* People are confused by the top level navigation vs the second level
one because they both use panels and it's not easy to differentiate them

Proposal:

* Use a horizontal top level navigation with the following items (from
left to right):
- Overview or Home (the main page)
- Platform
- Projects (when clicked will list all top level projects) - We could
have the list of subproject available as submenu items too (as it's
done on http://jboss.org/)
- Support (when clicked will explain the various ways to get support
including mailing list/forum, irc/jabber, FAQ & listing companies
offering commercial support)
- Contribute or Community (when clicked we'll get dev.xwiki.org)
- Playground

This means that the panels on the right will become the second level
navigation and the content will depend completely on where you are on
the site.

* Have some facilities links in the header on the right:
- News
- Downloads (as a visible button maybe)

* On the home page:
- Have a nice diagram of the xwiki platform that shows how XE, XE
modules are positioned on the platform so that people understand right
away that xwiki is a collaborative web dev platform
- Have a Highlight box with XE so that users looking for a full-
fledged wiki can quickly see it and click on it + maybe one featured
screenshot of an entry from the References page that would be
different every time the page is refreshed (this could encourage
people to add references + provide a link to the references directly)
- Have a Featured project box and list 3-4 featured projects (XE, XEM,
XEclipse, XOffice for ex to start with)
- Have some news:
-- latest 5 blog post titles
-- latest 5 code zone additions (all snippet, plugins, macro, apps,
etc included)
-- latest 5 mailing list threads subjects (with links to our nabble
forum)

We could not have any second level navigation for the home page in
order to have more space for displaying the elements above.

WDYT?

If/when we're ok in term of content maybe Cati (or anyone interested)
could provide some mockups of what it could look like.

PS: Let's not get bogged down with details at this point. I think
what's important is to make progress and refine later on. What's
important is that we agree on the broad lines at this stage.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Jerome Velociter
Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]
> - Have a Highlight box with XE so that users looking for a full-
> fledged wiki can quickly see it and click on it + maybe one featured
> screenshot of an entry from the References page that would be
> different every time the page is refreshed (this could encourage
> people to add references + provide a link to the references directly)
> - Have a Featured project box and list 3-4 featured projects (XE, XEM,
> XEclipse, XOffice for ex to start with)
> - Have some news:
> -- latest 5 blog post titles
> -- latest 5 code zone additions (all snippet, plugins, macro, apps,
> etc included)
> -- latest 5 mailing list threads subjects (with links to our nabble
> forum)
>
> We could not have any second level navigation for the home page in
> order to have more space for displaying the elements above.

Big +1

I would also move panels to the left. It's more natural to find links there.

Jerome.

> If/when we're ok in term of content maybe Cati (or anyone interested)
> could provide some mockups of what it could look like.

> PS: Let's not get bogged down with details at this point. I think
> what's important is to make progress and refine later on. What's
> important is that we agree on the broad lines at this stage.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'd like to start a overhaul of the xwiki.org home page + a first
> > level navigation overhaul.
> >
> > Today:
> > * Home page = list the different products
> > * First level nav = the ecosystem panel
> >
> > Problems:
> > * We now have a single product: XE and all the others are actually
> > modules that plugin into the main products. Hence we shouldn't focus
> > on other products so much IMO.
> > * I'd like to view xwiki.org as a forge of projects. Today our top
> > level projects are the ones listed here:
> http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/
> > * The main page should be more dynamic and show some news and activity
> > instead of being static
> > * People are confused by the top level navigation vs the second level
> > one because they both use panels and it's not easy to differentiate them

We should also collect the result of the XWiki.org feedback form, there are
plenty of interesting items in them. I'll make an Excel file with the
results available and I'll import it on XWiki.org to be used as a reference.

> > Proposal:
> >
> > * Use a horizontal top level navigation with the following items (from
> > left to right):
> > - Overview or Home (the main page)
> > - Platform
> > - Projects (when clicked will list all top level projects) - We could
> > have the list of subproject available as submenu items too (as it's
> > done on http://jboss.org/)
> > - Support (when clicked will explain the various ways to get support
> > including mailing list/forum, irc/jabber, FAQ & listing companies
> > offering commercial support)
> > - Contribute or Community (when clicked we'll get dev.xwiki.org)
> > - Playground

Those top categories sound good to me. One question though: where could
code.xwiki.org fit? Under the Community header? Or under an additional entry
such as "Modules" or "Code Zone" or "Applications" ?

> > This means that the panels on the right will become the second level
> > navigation and the content will depend completely on where you are on
> > the site.
> >
> > * Have some facilities links in the header on the right:
> > - News
> > - Downloads (as a visible button maybe)

News could be part of the horizontal top level navigation.

Having "Download" as a big, easy-to-see button at the top of all pages
sounds good.

We might want to make the Download page less crowded by hiding all the
download options for each product and display them only when the product
gets clicked upon using JS.

> > * On the home page:
> > - Have a nice diagram of the xwiki platform that shows how XE, XE
> > modules are positioned on the platform so that people understand right
> > away that xwiki is a collaborative web dev platform
> > - Have a Highlight box with XE so that users looking for a full-
> > fledged wiki can quickly see it and click on it + maybe one featured
> > screenshot of an entry from the References page that would be
> > different every time the page is refreshed (this could encourage
> > people to add references + provide a link to the references directly)
> > - Have a Featured project box and list 3-4 featured projects (XE, XEM,
> > XEclipse, XOffice for ex to start with)
> > - Have some news:
> > -- latest 5 blog post titles
> > -- latest 5 code zone additions (all snippet, plugins, macro, apps,
> > etc included)
> > -- latest 5 mailing list threads subjects (with links to our nabble
> > forum)

Sounds a bit busy. I think the most important items are:

   - XE
   - Latest news

For all the others we could display them on their relevant level 2
homepages.

I think we should play with mockups in order to come up with a homepage that
shows the breadth of XWiki without looking overcrowded or confusing.

Other than that I'm +1 with the general idea.

Guillaume

> > We could not have any second level navigation for the home page in
> > order to have more space for displaying the elements above.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Big +1
>
> I would also move panels to the left. It's more natural to find links
> there.
>
> Jerome.
> >
> > If/when we're ok in term of content maybe Cati (or anyone interested)
> > could provide some mockups of what it could look like.

> > PS: Let's not get bogged down with details at this point. I think
> > what's important is to make progress and refine later on. What's
> > important is that we agree on the broad lines at this stage.

Guillaume Lerouge
Product Manager - XWiki
Skype: wikibc
Twitter: glerouge
http://guillaumelerouge.com/

On Sep 28, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Vincent Massol wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'd like to start a overhaul of the xwiki.org home page + a first
>>> level navigation overhaul.
>>>
>>> Today:
>>> * Home page = list the different products
>>> * First level nav = the ecosystem panel
>>>
>>> Problems:
>>> * We now have a single product: XE and all the others are actually
>>> modules that plugin into the main products. Hence we shouldn't focus
>>> on other products so much IMO.
>>> * I'd like to view xwiki.org as a forge of projects. Today our top
>>> level projects are the ones listed here:
>> http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/
>>> * The main page should be more dynamic and show some news and
>>> activity
>>> instead of being static
>>> * People are confused by the top level navigation vs the second
>>> level
>>> one because they both use panels and it's not easy to
>>> differentiate them
>>

> We should also collect the result of the XWiki.org feedback form,
> there are
> plenty of interesting items in them. I'll make an Excel file with the
> results available and I'll import it on XWiki.org to be used as a
> reference.

Good idea. Note that I've taken into account the xwiki.org feedbacks I
had read (and I read them all) but not in a systematic manner, more by
remembering what they were about.

>>> Proposal:
>>>
>>> * Use a horizontal top level navigation with the following items
>>> (from
>>> left to right):
>>> - Overview or Home (the main page)
>>> - Platform
>>> - Projects (when clicked will list all top level projects) - We
>>> could
>>> have the list of subproject available as submenu items too (as it's
>>> done on http://jboss.org/)
>>> - Support (when clicked will explain the various ways to get support
>>> including mailing list/forum, irc/jabber, FAQ & listing companies
>>> offering commercial support)
>>> - Contribute or Community (when clicked we'll get dev.xwiki.org)
>>> - Playground
>>

> Those top categories sound good to me. One question though: where
> could
> code.xwiki.org fit? Under the Community header? Or under an
> additional entry
> such as "Modules" or "Code Zone" or "Applications" ?

I had thought about it but forgot to add it. Yes I wanted to put it as
an additional horizontal tab. It's a very important tab IMO so it
needs to be very visible. Now we need to decide how we call it since
Code Zone is not a good name. It's both a place where people will find
extensions and a place where they'll find reference documentation.

Maybe "Extensions" is ok, especially since the App Manager is an
Extension Manager. In that case we'll need to move the Reference doc
for Modules elsewhere but I think that's ok and normal.

>>> This means that the panels on the right will become the second level
>>> navigation and the content will depend completely on where you are
>>> on
>>> the site.
>>>
>>> * Have some facilities links in the header on the right:
>>> - News
>>> - Downloads (as a visible button maybe)
>>

> News could be part of the horizontal top level navigation.

I think that's too many horizontal tabs and not that important
compared to the rest, especially since the home page contains news.

> Having "Download" as a big, easy-to-see button at the top of all pages
> sounds good.
>
> We might want to make the Download page less crowded by hiding all the
> download options for each product and display them only when the
> product
> gets clicked upon using JS.
>

>>> * On the home page:
>>> - Have a nice diagram of the xwiki platform that shows how XE, XE
>>> modules are positioned on the platform so that people understand
>>> right
>>> away that xwiki is a collaborative web dev platform
>>> - Have a Highlight box with XE so that users looking for a full-
>>> fledged wiki can quickly see it and click on it + maybe one featured
>>> screenshot of an entry from the References page that would be
>>> different every time the page is refreshed (this could encourage
>>> people to add references + provide a link to the references
>>> directly)
>>> - Have a Featured project box and list 3-4 featured projects (XE,
>>> XEM,
>>> XEclipse, XOffice for ex to start with)
>>> - Have some news:
>>> -- latest 5 blog post titles
>>> -- latest 5 code zone additions (all snippet, plugins, macro, apps,
>>> etc included)
>>> -- latest 5 mailing list threads subjects (with links to our nabble
>>> forum)
>>

> Sounds a bit busy. I think the most important items are:
>
>   - XE
>   - Latest news

I'm not sure. For me establishing XWiki as a paltform is more
important than XE so  I'd really like that from the home page the
users understands that XWiki is an ecosystem.

If we remove XE/News, what remains are Features projects and Platform
diagram.

Anyway before deciding about the exact content let's see some mockup
ideas of what it could look like.

> For all the others we could display them on their relevant level 2
> homepages.
>
> I think we should play with mockups in order to come up with a
> homepage that
> shows the breadth of XWiki without looking overcrowded or confusing.

yep

> Other than that I'm +1 with the general idea.
>
> Guillaume
>

>>> We could not have any second level navigation for the home page in
>>> order to have more space for displaying the elements above.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> Big +1
>>
>> I would also move panels to the left. It's more natural to find links
>> there.
>>
>> Jerome.
>>>
>>> If/when we're ok in term of content maybe Cati (or anyone
>>> interested)
>>> could provide some mockups of what it could look like.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>>
>>> PS: Let's not get bogged down with details at this point. I think
>>> what's important is to make progress and refine later on. What's
>>> important is that we agree on the broad lines at this stage.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Use a horizontal top level navigation

What this means?
Having two menus? One for the actions and one for navigation?

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
When I first though about the "horizontal top level navigation" I saw
something like:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/ActionMenu/orgNavigation.png

The problem we could have with this kind of navigation is if we gonna change
the menu. There were some unfinished brainstorming (done with Guillaume and
JV) about the new menu that resulted in this mockup:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/IconActionMenu/iconMenu.png
I don't quite remember the entries under Wiki and Space submenus (create was
integrated as part of those submenus), so feel free to brainstorm at
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/IconActionMenu

SO, if we gonna have the new menu, the "horizontal top level navigation"
could look something like:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/ActionMenu/orgHybrid.png

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 22:47, Ecaterina Valica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Use a horizontal top level navigation
>>

> What this means?
> Having two menus? One for the actions and one for navigation?
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to start a overhaul of the xwiki.org home page + a first
> level navigation overhaul.
>
> Today:
> * Home page = list the different products
> * First level nav = the ecosystem panel
>
> Problems:
> * We now have a single product: XE and all the others are actually
> modules that plugin into the main products. Hence we shouldn't focus
> on other products so much IMO.
> * I'd like to view xwiki.org as a forge of projects. Today our top
> level projects are the ones listed here: http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/
> * The main page should be more dynamic and show some news and activity
> instead of being static
> * People are confused by the top level navigation vs the second level
> one because they both use panels and it's not easy to differentiate them
>
> Proposal:
>
> * Use a horizontal top level navigation with the following items (from
> left to right):
> - Overview or Home (the main page)
> - Platform
> - Projects (when clicked will list all top level projects) - We could
> have the list of subproject available as submenu items too (as it's
> done on http://jboss.org/)

I'd differentiate the platform from the others if we were talking
about products, since we're talking about projects I think platform is
one of them (it also reflects our top level projects).

> - Support (when clicked will explain the various ways to get support
> including mailing list/forum, irc/jabber, FAQ & listing companies
> offering commercial support)
> - Contribute or Community (when clicked we'll get dev.xwiki.org)
> - Playground

I'm not sure about playground since playground is about XE and not the
other projects, I'd put it on the homepage but not in the tabs.

I'd add "Downloads" and "Extensions" (code.xwiki.org).

> This means that the panels on the right will become the second level
> navigation and the content will depend completely on where you are on
> the site.
>
> * Have some facilities links in the header on the right:
> - News
> - Downloads (as a visible button maybe)

Not sure about putting links in the header, I'd prefer to keep it simple.
Putting downloads in the tabs and "news" (or blog) on the homepage
would do the trick.

> * On the home page:
> - Have a nice diagram of the xwiki platform that shows how XE, XE
> modules are positioned on the platform so that people understand right
> away that xwiki is a collaborative web dev platform

-1 about putting a tech diagram on the homepage, I'd rather put this
diagram under "Projects", techies interested by this info will click
on "Projects" soon enough I think :) I'd rather put a little
screenshot gallery (a carousel) showing XWiki projects key features on
the homepage.

> - Have a Highlight box with XE so that users looking for a full-
> fledged wiki can quickly see it and click on it + maybe one featured
> screenshot of an entry from the References page that would be
> different every time the page is refreshed (this could encourage
> people to add references + provide a link to the references directly)
> - Have a Featured project box and list 3-4 featured projects (XE, XEM,
> XEclipse, XOffice for ex to start with)
> - Have some news:
> -- latest 5 blog post titles
> -- latest 5 code zone additions (all snippet, plugins, macro, apps,
> etc included)
> -- latest 5 mailing list threads subjects (with links to our nabble
> forum)

I wonder if it would not be too much, we need to see what it would look like.

> We could not have any second level navigation for the home page in
> order to have more space for displaying the elements above.

+1

> If/when we're ok in term of content maybe Cati (or anyone interested)
> could provide some mockups of what it could look like.

I'm interested, actually I've started to work on mockups at
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgRedesign/
Note that it is a very early draft, for example there's only one level
of tabs FTM.

Thanks,
JV.

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Silvia Rusu

I've made a mockup for the XWiki.org homepage. It would be great if you offered some feedback (what you like, what you don't like, what you'd like to see on the page and is not yet included, etc.). You can find the page on the incubator:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Homepage

I made the mockup by adding new elements over the already existing suggestions at: http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgRedesign/

Thanks
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
Quick notes:
- Don't blog and news blocks collide ?
- Do we want to have a newsletter for xwiki.org ? who'd maintain it ?

Thanks,
JV.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've made a mockup for the XWiki.org homepage. It would be great if you
> offered some feedback (what you like, what you don't like, what you'd like
> to see on the page and is not yet included, etc.). You can find the page on
> the incubator:
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Homepage
>
> I made the mockup by adding new elements over the already existing
> suggestions at:
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgRedesign/
>
> Thanks
>

> -----
> Silvia Rusu
> Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
> http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 03/15/2010 05:42 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:
> Quick notes:
> - Don't blog and news blocks collide ?

Kind of, but only on the main page. The blog panel is good for other
pages. Maybe we could specifically change the blog panel to:
- rename it to News instead of Recent Blog Posts
- hide it on the homepage

> - Do we want to have a newsletter for xwiki.org ? who'd maintain it ?

I'm -0. Maybe a "In the press"-like section at most, although I don't
like this either.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Silvia Rusu
Jean-Vincent Drean-3 wrote
Quick notes:
- Don't blog and news blocks collide ?
- Do we want to have a newsletter for xwiki.org ? who'd maintain it ?

Thanks,
JV.
Hi,

In the news section we can add news about releases, past events XWiki attended, etc.
In the blog panel we could also add other types of articles. These are not necessarily news pieces, but can bring value to readers that are interested in XWiki. For example:
* A weekly/monthly digest summarizing what's been happening on xwiki.org
* Posts that show the benefits of using XWiki products and applications (e.g. how using XWiki applications can increase your productivity) I'd be happy to write some blog posts, provided people find them useful.

The newsletter could be a monthly digest that would focus on:
    * Releases
    * Contributions from the community
    * Important changes/additions to the website
    * Events
    * News

The newsletter would help people interested in XWiki that don't follow the blog/news to stay up to date (e.g. people who prefer newsletters over RSS feeds).

WDYT?
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Hi Silvia,

Good start!

However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
For ex:
* We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do, maintain, etc
* Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about the company doing it.
* I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain it).

Also, I'd prefer that we focus on the community. This is a community web site, done by the community, for the community so we should highlight new code snippets, new macros, new extensions, updated documentation pages, etc. I made a proposal for this for the redesign of the xwiki.org home page some time back. Have you seen it?

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi Silvia,
>
> Good start!
>
> However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
> For ex:
> * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do, maintain, etc
> * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about the company doing it.
> * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain it).

* "Try XWiki Enterprise" is definitely the wrong language for an open source project :)

-Vincent

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
> > Hi Silvia,
> >
> > Good start!
> >
> > However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
> > For ex:
> > * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do,
> maintain, etc
> > * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about
> the company doing it.
> > * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd
> prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain
> it).
>
> * "Try XWiki Enterprise" is definitely the wrong language for an open
> source project :)

Why exactly? Because of the connotation that if you "try it" it's because
there's a paying version? I'd say that encouraging visitors to go ahead and
play with XWiki actually is a good thing :-)

However you're right, maybe another wording would be better... "Play with an
hosted instance of XWiki" maybe? Something that would take visitors to
playground.xwiki.org so that they can get a feel of what the software
does...

Guillaume

> -Vincent
> >
> > Also, I'd prefer that we focus on the community. This is a community web
> site, done by the community, for the community so we should highlight new
> code snippets, new macros, new extensions, updated documentation pages, etc.
> I made a proposal for this for the redesign of the xwiki.org home page
> some time back. Have you seen it?

> > On Mar 15, 2010, at 5:36 PM, Silvia Rusu wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've made a mockup for the XWiki.org homepage. It would be great if you
> >> offered some feedback (what you like, what you don't like, what you'd
> like
> >> to see on the page and is not yet included, etc.). You can find the page
> on
> >> the incubator:
> >> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Homepage
> >>
> >> I made the mockup by adding new elements over the already existing
> >> suggestions at:
> >> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgRedesign/
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> -----
> >> Silvia Rusu

Guillaume Lerouge
Product Manager - XWiki SAS
Skype: wikibc
Twitter: glerouge
http://guillaumelerouge.com/

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> Hi Silvia,
>>
>> Good start!
>>
>> However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
>> For ex:
>> * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do, maintain, etc
>> * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about the company doing it.
>> * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain it).
>
> * "Try XWiki Enterprise" is definitely the wrong language for an open source project :)

Maybe a single "Get XWiki Enterprise" button that would go to a page explaining the various options:
- download and install it
- testdrive it on the playground
- open a wiki on myxwiki.org (non profit org and individuals only, no SLA)
- check the support page for companies offering hosting and special packages

-Vincent

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:32 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Silvia,
>>>
>>> Good start!
>>>
>>> However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
>>> For ex:
>>> * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do,
>> maintain, etc
>>> * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about
>> the company doing it.
>>> * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd
>> prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain
>> it).
>>
>> * "Try XWiki Enterprise" is definitely the wrong language for an open
>> source project :)
>>

> Why exactly? Because of the connotation that if you "try it" it's because
> there's a paying version?

yes. Usually "try" means it's the free version and there's a paying one. It could be confusing.

> I'd say that encouraging visitors to go ahead and
> play with XWiki actually is a good thing :-)

it is indeed

> However you're right, maybe another wording would be better... "Play with an
> hosted instance of XWiki" maybe? Something that would take visitors to
> playground.xwiki.org so that they can get a feel of what the software
> does...

See the proposal I've sent a few seconds ago.

On 03/15/2010 06:28 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> Hi Silvia,
>>
>> Good start!
>>
>> However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
>> For ex:
>> * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do, maintain, etc
>> * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about the company doing it.
>> * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain it).
>
> * "Try XWiki Enterprise" is definitely the wrong language for an open source project :)

I've seen it in lots of places. How else should we promote the
playground? Or shouldn't we?

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On 03/15/2010 06:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Silvia,
>
> Good start!
>
> However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
> For ex:
> * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do, maintain, etc

I think that in the format the Silvia proposed in her other email, a
newsletter would be good. Personally I don't like that monitoring an
open source project usually involves two far-apart levels of granularity:

- monitoring the mailing list(s)
- coming from time to time to check if something happened

Given that we don't have an [hidden email] list, a monthly
newsletter is a great way of keeping users in touch, without making them
monitor the mailing list.

One thing we do better than most other projects is that we have a blog,
but IMO it is still not enough.

> * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about the company doing it.

No, I disagree. Of course we shouldn't promote events where XWiki SAS as
a company is clearly involved, but events that interest all our users.
Do you want to say that our presence at the Paris JUG or Nantes JUG were
not interesting for XWiki users, or actually any software user?

> * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain it).

I don't like our current @XWiki Twitter account, so I'd be -1 for
promoting it. Another (English) account which would just mirror blog
posts would be good, though.

> Also, I'd prefer that we focus on the community. This is a community web site, done by the community, for the community so we should highlight new code snippets, new macros, new extensions, updated documentation pages, etc. I made a proposal for this for the redesign of the xwiki.org home page some time back. Have you seen it?

+1, but we're seeing the proposed features from different angles. I
think they match this perspective.

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 03/15/2010 06:25 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi Silvia,
>>
>> Good start!
>>
>> However I feel it's a bit too "corporate".
>> For ex:
>> * We don't have newsletter on xwiki.org. Would be complex to do, maintain, etc
>
> I think that in the format the Silvia proposed in her other email, a
> newsletter would be good. Personally I don't like that monitoring an
> open source project usually involves two far-apart levels of granularity:
>
> - monitoring the mailing list(s)
> - coming from time to time to check if something happened
>
> Given that we don't have an [hidden email] list, a monthly
> newsletter is a great way of keeping users in touch, without making them
> monitor the mailing list.
>
> One thing we do better than most other projects is that we have a blog,
> but IMO it is still not enough.

It's not about whether it would be nice to have or not. It's about the effort it takes to do it. Honestly we'll never be able to sustain it and it has to come from the community.

We need something that is low maintenance and a newsletter is VERY high maintenance.

I'd + 1 for an announcement mailing list. It's a good idea and we lack it.

>> * Events is too corporate too since it's not about xwiki.org but about the company doing it.
>
> No, I disagree. Of course we shouldn't promote events where XWiki SAS as
> a company is clearly involved, but events that interest all our users.
> Do you want to say that our presence at the Paris JUG or Nantes JUG were
> not interesting for XWiki users, or actually any software user?

Yes I agree. It's a question of priorities for the home page. As you know the home page is not large and there's always a fight to what gets put there. IMO an Events page where everyone could add events related to XWiki is very good to have and I'm +1 about it.

Now if I have to choose on the home between "Events" and "new macros/snippets/extensions", I think I'd prefer the later. Right now "Events" is there but promoting the contributors is not there at all. That's also part of the "corporate" thing I can feel. Our current home page is slightly too "corporate" too BTW which is one thing I'd like to fix about it. I'd like a community home page where people want to contribute.

>> * I'm not sure about twitter either. Who would be allowed to tweet? I'd prefer a news.xwiki.org done using XWatch (if we think we can maintain it).
>
> I don't like our current @XWiki Twitter account, so I'd be -1 for
> promoting it. Another (English) account which would just mirror blog
> posts would be good, though.
>
>> Also, I'd prefer that we focus on the community. This is a community web site, done by the community, for the community so we should highlight new code snippets, new macros, new extensions, updated documentation pages, etc. I made a proposal for this for the redesign of the xwiki.org home page some time back. Have you seen it?
>
> +1, but we're seeing the proposed features from different angles. I
> think they match this perspective.

>> On Mar 15, 2010, at 5:36 PM, Silvia Rusu wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've made a mockup for the XWiki.org homepage. It would be great if you
>>> offered some feedback (what you like, what you don't like, what you'd like
>>> to see on the page and is not yet included, etc.). You can find the page on
>>> the incubator:
>>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Homepage
>>>
>>> I made the mockup by adding new elements over the already existing
>>> suggestions at:
>>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgRedesign/
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org horizontal navigation + home page

Silvia Rusu

Thank you all for the feedback. I've changed the mockup to hopefully include as many of your propositions:

http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Homepage

* I think it's best if the users know as they get to the homepage there is a way of playing with XWiki without installing it. If we were to have one button that says "Get XWiki Enterprise" they might think they must download something (I know I would). This may be an extra effort they're not inclined to make. As a result I've changed "Try XWiki Enterprise Now" to "Play With XWiki Enterprise", which sounds more "neutral" and is a reference to the playground.

* I've removed the events section. However to keep events visible I've added a link to events in the news section.

* Giuseppe proposed on another topic that we reference testimonials from XWiki users. I think this is a very good idea. I've added a link to the testimonials page where people can read what users have to say about XWiki (this is positioned above the News section)

* To make the site less corporate and more about the community I've changed/added the following:
- Added the latest additions panel for plugins, applications, etc.
- Replaced "subscribe to the newsletter" with "subscribe to the mailing lists"; Added a link to read the latest discussions
- Added a "Community Stats" section with a "How do I contribute?" link under the stats (this replaces the previous "Events" section).

I hope this proposition is closer to what everyone would like to see on the homepage and it would be great if you could offer some more feedback.