[Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

While thinking about what features a Technical Documentation Flavor [1]
should have, I came up with some ideas that we could integrate inside
xwiki.org in order to make it a better documentation website:
- navigation tree in the left panel, see
  --
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/xwiki_doc_partial.png
  compared to

Would be great also to upgrade XWiki.org to a newer version.

There were all sorts of ideas in the past like:
- displaying 'Edit' also for unregistered in order to encourage edits
- display 'Register'/'Log-in' links in the navbar in order to encourage
edits
these are not part of the current proposal, but keep the ideas coming :) we
will try to implement them when we can.

Of course it would be great if we would had time to:
- update the docs content
- reorganize pages
- update the blog styling
- etc.
but I guess small changes will come in time.

Let me know what you think,
Caty

[1]
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
We would really need to redesign the Documentation page since it's one of
the most used pages.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> While thinking about what features a Technical Documentation Flavor [1]
> should have, I came up with some ideas that we could integrate inside
> xwiki.org in order to make it a better documentation website:
> - navigation tree in the left panel, see
>   -- http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/xwiki_doc_partial.png
>   compared to
>   -- http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation
> - simpler skin (at least remove the comments area - lots of deprecated
> questions/answers and we have now the forum for that)
> - simpler menu (less entries + merge with the navbar if technical possible
> now, otherwise wait for newer version)
> - simpler footer area by removing the number of links displayed (we need
> to look at mouseflow)
>
> Would be great also to upgrade XWiki.org to a newer version.
>
> There were all sorts of ideas in the past like:
> - displaying 'Edit' also for unregistered in order to encourage edits
> - display 'Register'/'Log-in' links in the navbar in order to encourage
> edits
> these are not part of the current proposal, but keep the ideas coming :)
> we will try to implement them when we can.
>
> Of course it would be great if we would had time to:
> - update the docs content
> - reorganize pages
> - update the blog styling
> - etc.
> but I guess small changes will come in time.
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty
>
> [1] http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Flavors/
> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Hi Caty,

> On 11 Aug 2017, at 13:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> While thinking about what features a Technical Documentation Flavor [1]
> should have, I came up with some ideas that we could integrate inside
> xwiki.org in order to make it a better documentation website:
> - navigation tree in the left panel, see
>  --
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/xwiki_doc_partial.png

As already discussed with you, I really like this screenshot. I find the UI to be very clean and simple and the navigation on the left is perfect for a documentation web site.

>  compared to
>  -- http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation
> - simpler skin (at least remove the comments area - lots of deprecated
> questions/answers and we have now the forum for that)
> - simpler menu (less entries + merge with the navbar if technical possible
> now, otherwise wait for newer version)
> - simpler footer area by removing the number of links displayed (we need to
> look at mouseflow)
>
> Would be great also to upgrade XWiki.org to a newer version.

Yep.

> There were all sorts of ideas in the past like:
> - displaying 'Edit' also for unregistered in order to encourage edits
> - display 'Register'/'Log-in' links in the navbar in order to encourage
> edits
> these are not part of the current proposal, but keep the ideas coming :) we
> will try to implement them when we can.
>
> Of course it would be great if we would had time to:
> - update the docs content
> - reorganize pages
> - update the blog styling
> - etc.
> but I guess small changes will come in time.
>
> Let me know what you think,

I’m really excited by this. I also believe a new L&F is needed for xwiki.org (been several years that it’s not been changed and novelty is nice).

I think you should start implementing this skin on xwiki.org if you can find some time and on my side I’m willing to help to move/reorganize the content around (which will be needed as soon as we display the navigation menu on the left).

Anyone else interested to help out too?

> Caty
>
> [1]
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Proposal for AdminGuide:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/AdminGuide.png

Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > - etc.
> > but I guess small changes will come in time.
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
>
> I’m really excited by this. I also believe a new L&F is needed for
> xwiki.org (been several years that it’s not been changed and novelty is
> nice).
>
> I think you should start implementing this skin on xwiki.org if you can
> find some time and on my side I’m willing to help to move/reorganize the
> content around (which will be needed as soon as we display the navigation
> menu on the left).
>
> Anyone else interested to help out too?

> > Caty
> >
> > [1]
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Flavors/
> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

> On 17 Aug 2017, at 16:14, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:

So 3 sections:
* Highlighted topics
* Main topics
* Other topics

Sounds good to me.

> Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Caty,
>>
>>> On 11 Aug 2017, at 13:51, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> While thinking about what features a Technical Documentation Flavor [1]
>>> should have, I came up with some ideas that we could integrate inside
>>> xwiki.org in order to make it a better documentation website:
>>> - navigation tree in the left panel, see
>>> --
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
>> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/xwiki_doc_partial.png
>>
>> As already discussed with you, I really like this screenshot. I find the
>> UI to be very clean and simple and the navigation on the left is perfect
>> for a documentation web site.
>>
>>> compared to
>>> -- http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation
>>> - simpler skin (at least remove the comments area - lots of deprecated
>>> questions/answers and we have now the forum for that)
>>> - simpler menu (less entries + merge with the navbar if technical
>> possible
>>> now, otherwise wait for newer version)
>>> - simpler footer area by removing the number of links displayed (we need
>>> look at mouseflow)
>>>
>>> Would be great also to upgrade XWiki.org to a newer version.
>>
>> Yep.
>>
>>> There were all sorts of ideas in the past like:
>>> - displaying 'Edit' also for unregistered in order to encourage edits
>>> - display 'Register'/'Log-in' links in the navbar in order to encourage
>>> edits
>>> these are not part of the current proposal, but keep the ideas coming :)
>> we
>>> will try to implement them when we can.
>>>
>>> Of course it would be great if we would had time to:
>>> - update the docs content
>>> - reorganize pages
>>> - update the blog styling
>>> - etc.
>>> but I guess small changes will come in time.
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think,
>>
>> I’m really excited by this. I also believe a new L&F is needed for
>> xwiki.org (been several years that it’s not been changed and novelty is
>> nice).
>>
>> I think you should start implementing this skin on xwiki.org if you can
>> find some time and on my side I’m willing to help to move/reorganize the
>> content around (which will be needed as soon as we display the navigation
>> menu on the left).
>>
>> Anyone else interested to help out too?

>>> Caty
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Flavors/
>> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Guillaume Delhumeau
Would be even better with some icons for each box, but nice proposal :)

> > On 17 Aug 2017, at 16:14, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Proposal for AdminGuide:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/AdminGuide.png
>
> So 3 sections:
> * Highlighted topics
> * Main topics
> * Other topics
>
> Sounds good to me.

> > Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Caty,

> >> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/xwiki_doc_partial.png
> >>
> >> As already discussed with you, I really like this screenshot. I find the
> >> UI to be very clean and simple and the navigation on the left is perfect
> >> for a documentation web site.

> >> possible
> need

> >> Yep.

> :)
> >> we

> >> I’m really excited by this. I also believe a new L&F is needed for
> >> xwiki.org (been several years that it’s not been changed and novelty is
> >> nice).
> >>
> >> I think you should start implementing this skin on xwiki.org if you can
> >> find some time and on my side I’m willing to help to move/reorganize the
> >> content around (which will be needed as soon as we display the
> navigation
> >> menu on the left).
> >>
> >> Anyone else interested to help out too?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> >> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Proposal for DevGuide:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/DevGuide.png

Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/

If you have better grouping names/entries, let me know.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would be even better with some icons for each box, but nice proposal :)

> > > On 17 Aug 2017, at 16:14, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Proposal for AdminGuide:
> > > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
> > TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/AdminGuide.png
> >
> > So 3 sections:
> > * Highlighted topics
> > * Main topics
> > * Other topics
> >
> > Sounds good to me.

> > > Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> [hidden email]

> [1]
> doc_partial.png

> the
> perfect

> deprecated
> > need

> encourage
> > :)

> is

> can
> the
> > navigation

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Proposal for UserGuide:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/UserGuide.png

Current:
http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide/

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Proposal for DevGuide:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/DevGuide.png
>
> Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/
>
> If you have better grouping names/entries, let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Would be even better with some icons for each box, but nice proposal :)

>> [hidden email]>

>> > TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/AdminGuide.png
>> >
>> > So 3 sections:
>> > * Highlighted topics
>> > * Main topics
>> > * Other topics
>> >
>> > Sounds good to me.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent

>> [hidden email]

>> [1]
>> inside
>> partial.png

>> the
>> perfect

>> deprecated
>> > need

>> edits
>> encourage
>> coming
>> > :)

>> novelty is

>> can
>> the
>> > navigation

>> --
>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

> On 18 Aug 2017, at 15:28, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Proposal for UserGuide:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/UserGuide.png

It’s nice and I like it but it has a cost: we need to redo all videos since they’re old.

> Current:
> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide/
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Proposal for DevGuide:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
>> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/DevGuide.png
>>
>> Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/
>>
>> If you have better grouping names/entries, let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Would be even better with some icons for each box, but nice proposal :)

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> [hidden email]

>>> [1]
>>> inside
>>> partial.png

>>> the
>>> perfect

>>> deprecated

>>> edits
>>> encourage
>>> coming

>>> novelty is

>>> can
>>> the

>>> --
>>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
The displayed videos are from Dec 2015, done on XWiki 7.4 (by Silvia) and
Mar 2016, on XWiki 7.4.1 (by Andrea Russo).

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 18 Aug 2017, at 15:28, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Proposal for UserGuide:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/UserGuide.png
>
> It’s nice and I like it but it has a cost: we need to redo all videos
> since they’re old.

> > Current:
> > http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Proposal for DevGuide:
> >> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
> >> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/DevGuide.png
> >>
> >> Current: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/
> >>
> >> If you have better grouping names/entries, let me know.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty

> Installation

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

> On 18 Aug 2017, at 15:48, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The displayed videos are from Dec 2015, done on XWiki 7.4 (by Silvia) and
> Mar 2016, on XWiki 7.4.1 (by Andrea Russo).

The fact that lots of them use the GWT WYSIWYG editor make them obsolete already.

> Caty
>
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 18 Aug 2017, at 15:28, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Proposal for UserGuide:
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/
>> TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/UserGuide.png
>>
>> It’s nice and I like it but it has a cost: we need to redo all videos
>> since they’re old.

>>> Current:
>>> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide/
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caty

>> Installation

Re: [Proposal] XWiki.org skin improvements

And the last batch from the Documentation 'saga':

Proposal for Getting Started:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Flavors/TechnicalDocumentationFlavor/ExampleXWiki/WebHome/GettingStarted.png

Current Getting Started:
http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GettingStarted/