[Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

vmassol
Administrator
Hi devs,

Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved by another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically correct.

Proposal:
* Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
* Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

Simon Urli


On 10/01/2019 11:43, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved by another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically correct.
>
> Proposal:
> * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
> * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link
>
> WDYT?

+1

Simon
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>

--
Simon Urli
Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
In reply to this post by vmassol
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:43 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved by another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically correct.
>
> Proposal:
> * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
> * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link

"depends on" is not really semantically correct either, if it's
possible add custom links it would be nicer to have corresponding
ones.

>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent



--
Thomas Mortagne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I have no problem with the "Duplicate" resolution. It's very explicit. Some
issues have multiple manifestations, but a single cause.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:43 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved
> by another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically
> correct.
> >
> > Proposal:
> > * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
> > * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link
>
> "depends on" is not really semantically correct either, if it's
> possible add custom links it would be nicer to have corresponding
> ones.
>
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent
>
>
>
> --
> Thomas Mortagne
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

Alex Cotiugă
In reply to this post by Thomas Mortagne
Hi,

I'm +1 to have the "Solved by" and since this will have only one purpose, I
don't see the need of the extra "depends on". If possible, we should link a
related issue with the same marker.

Thanks,
Alex

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:43 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved
> by another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically
> correct.
> >
> > Proposal:
> > * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
> > * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link
>
> "depends on" is not really semantically correct either, if it's
> possible add custom links it would be nicer to have corresponding
> ones.
>
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent
>
>
>
> --
> Thomas Mortagne
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

Marius Dumitru Florea
In reply to this post by vmassol
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:43 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved by
> another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically
> correct.
>
> Proposal:
> * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
> * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link
>
> WDYT?
>

+0

We could also close the "duplicate" issue as Fixed (so no new resolution)
and add instead a "Fixed by" relation / link type. The users will see the
issue as Fixed and the developers will see the link to the actual fix.

Thanks,
Marius


>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

vmassol
Administrator


> On 10 Jan 2019, at 13:24, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:43 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved by
>> another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically
>> correct.
>>
>> Proposal:
>> * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
>> * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>
> +0
>
> We could also close the "duplicate" issue as Fixed (so no new resolution)
> and add instead a "Fixed by" relation / link type. The users will see the
> issue as Fixed and the developers will see the link to the actual fix.

I can think of some potential problems:
* Duplicates in the release notes generated by JIRA
* Missing tracability in the commits (it would need that the commit be referencing the 2 jira issues)

Note: FTR just checked and JIRA supports adding new issue links so that’s doable: https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/admin/ViewLinkTypes!default.jspa

Personally I prefer the proposed solution because of these 2 problems. I don’t see any drawback for the proposed solution ATM (except additional knowledge to have to use our jira best practices which would also be true for this new proposal). The only thing that comes to mind is whether we’ll be able to choose easily between “duplicate” and “solved by” when we start using it. If we find that it’s hard to use then I agree we should revisit it then and either drop the idea fully and go back the previous state or try something else (like this new proposal).

Thanks
-Vincent

>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
>
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Vincent

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Proposl] Improve JIRA resolution and introduce a "Solved by" resolution

Adel Atallah
+1 for the proposed solution because you could also have two issues
describing a different problem but with the same fix.

Thanks,
Adel

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> > On 10 Jan 2019, at 13:24, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:43 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> Right now we often use “duplicate” when we have an issue that is solved by
> >> another issue (usually a more specific one). This is not semantically
> >> correct.
> >>
> >> Proposal:
> >> * Add a new jira resolution named “Solved by”
> >> * Best practice: when using “solved by”, also use the “depends on” link
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >
> > +0
> >
> > We could also close the "duplicate" issue as Fixed (so no new resolution)
> > and add instead a "Fixed by" relation / link type. The users will see the
> > issue as Fixed and the developers will see the link to the actual fix.
>
> I can think of some potential problems:
> * Duplicates in the release notes generated by JIRA
> * Missing tracability in the commits (it would need that the commit be referencing the 2 jira issues)
>
> Note: FTR just checked and JIRA supports adding new issue links so that’s doable: https://jira.xwiki.org/secure/admin/ViewLinkTypes!default.jspa
>
> Personally I prefer the proposed solution because of these 2 problems. I don’t see any drawback for the proposed solution ATM (except additional knowledge to have to use our jira best practices which would also be true for this new proposal). The only thing that comes to mind is whether we’ll be able to choose easily between “duplicate” and “solved by” when we start using it. If we find that it’s hard to use then I agree we should revisit it then and either drop the idea fully and go back the previous state or try something else (like this new proposal).
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marius
> >
> >
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent
>