Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

Erin Schnabel-3
This may be silly, but would it be clearer if the XEclipse versioning
contained some indication of the XWiki base required? To me, XEclipse
v1.0 somehow suggests to me that it should be able to run on XWiki
1.0... which of course is not true.  Might be good to have the prereq
explicit in the versioning.. maybe?



--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi Erin,

On 9/5/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may be silly, but would it be clearer if the XEclipse versioning
contained some indication of the XWiki base required? To me, XEclipse
v1.0 somehow suggests to me that it should be able to run on XWiki
1.0.. . which of course is not true.  Might be good to have the prereq
explicit in the versioning.. maybe?

Sounds like a good idea to me...

Let's see what others think...

- Asiri 

--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs


_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

vmassol
Administrator

On Sep 5, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Asiri Rathnayake wrote:

Hi Erin,

On 9/5/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may be silly, but would it be clearer if the XEclipse versioning
contained some indication of the XWiki base required? To me, XEclipse
v1.0 somehow suggests to me that it should be able to run on XWiki
1.0.. . which of course is not true.  Might be good to have the prereq
explicit in the versioning.. maybe?

Sounds like a good idea to me...

Let's see what others think...

I like to start new modules at 1.0. Sounds logical since they're new.

The release cycle for XEclipse doesn't have to be the same as XE and thus their versions shouldn't be aligned. For example we're going to release 1.0M2 of XEclipse in about one week (right Asiri/Tharindu? :)). This doesn't match XWiki 1.1RC2 nor does it match XWiki 1.2M1 and it would be a pity to have to wait for 1.2M1 before releasing it.

What we could do is have a version like 1.0-1.1 (<xeclipse>-<XE>) but that sounds way way too complex.

I think I prefer simply documenting it on xwiki.org and inside XEclipse itself. It should check the XE version it's connecting to and tell the user if it's not compatible with it IMO.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent


_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi.

On 9/5/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 5, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Asiri Rathnayake wrote:

Hi Erin,

On 9/5/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
This may be silly, but would it be clearer if the XEclipse versioning
contained some indication of the XWiki base required? To me, XEclipse
v1.0 somehow suggests to me that it should be able to run on XWiki
1.0.. . which of course is not true.  Might be good to have the prereq
explicit in the versioning.. maybe?

Sounds like a good idea to me...

Let's see what others think...

I like to start new modules at 1.0. Sounds logical since they're new.

The release cycle for XEclipse doesn't have to be the same as XE and thus their versions shouldn't be aligned. For example we're going to release 1.0M2 of XEclipse in about one week (right Asiri/Tharindu? :)).

We'll work on it from tomorrow onwards (came back from home today) ... :)

- Asiri
 

This doesn't match XWiki 1.1RC2 nor does it match XWiki 1.2M1 and it would be a pity to have to wait for 1.2M1 before releasing it.

What we could do is have a version like 1.0-1.1 (<xeclipse>-<XE>) but that sounds way way too complex.

I think I prefer simply documenting it on <a href="http://xwiki.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">xwiki.org and inside XEclipse itself. It should check the XE version it's connecting to and tell the user if it's not compatible with it IMO.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent


_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs" target="_blank">http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs



_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

Sergiu Dumitriu
In reply to this post by vmassol
On 9/5/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Sep 5, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Asiri Rathnayake wrote:
> Hi Erin,
>
> On 9/5/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This may be silly, but would it be clearer if the XEclipse versioning
> > contained some indication of the XWiki base required? To me, XEclipse
> > v1.0 somehow suggests to me that it should be able to run on XWiki
> > 1.0.. . which of course is not true.  Might be good to have the prereq
> > explicit in the versioning.. maybe?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me...
>
>  Let's see what others think...
>
> I like to start new modules at 1.0. Sounds logical since they're new.
>
> The release cycle for XEclipse doesn't have to be the same as XE and thus
> their versions shouldn't be aligned. For example we're going to release
> 1.0M2 of XEclipse in about one week (right Asiri/Tharindu? :)). This doesn't
> match XWiki 1.1RC2 nor does it match XWiki 1.2M1 and it would be a pity to
> have to wait for 1.2M1 before releasing it.
>
> What we could do is have a version like 1.0-1.1 (<xeclipse>-<XE>) but that
> sounds way way too complex.
>
> I think I prefer simply documenting it on xwiki.org and inside XEclipse
> itself. It should check the XE version it's connecting to and tell the user
> if it's not compatible with it IMO.
>
> WDYT?
>

+1

XEclipse is a distinct project, with its own releases. Documenting the
dependencies should suffice.

Sergiu
--
http://purl.org/net/sergiu
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Question regarding XEclipse version numbering

ebullient
On 9/9/07, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/5/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What we could do is have a version like 1.0-1.1 (<xeclipse>-<XE>) but that
> > sounds way way too complex.
> >
> > I think I prefer simply documenting it on xwiki.org and inside XEclipse
> > itself. It should check the XE version it's connecting to and tell the user
> > if it's not compatible with it IMO.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
>
> +1
>
> XEclipse is a distinct project, with its own releases. Documenting the
> dependencies should suffice.
>
> Sergiu

Fair enough. Like I said, it sounded sort of silly to me as well-- I
was just wondering if making it more explicit would be useful. I use
the xwiki version + a unique minor to keep track of extensions/patches
I maintain for our install.. that way it will be clear when what I'm
working on moves to 1.1, but what I've got is not standalone-- it's a
patched xwiki installation..

--
'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs