REST API usages

Fabio Mancinelli-4
Hi everybody,

I am working on some brainstorming about the future of the XWiki REST API...
The starting point, of course, would be to understand who is using it,
how she's using it (i.e., for which use cases), what are the problems
she has encoutered and which kind of feature she would like to see in
the API.

So, if you have worked/interacted/built something with the REST API it
would be great to have your feedback.

Thanks,
Fabio

Re: REST API usages

Hi Fabio,

This is is great! see below.

On Jun 19, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Fabio Mancinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am working on some brainstorming about the future of the XWiki REST API...
> The starting point, of course, would be to understand who is using it,
> how she's using it (i.e., for which use cases), what are the problems
> she has encoutered and which kind of feature she would like to see in
> the API.
>
> So, if you have worked/interacted/built something with the REST API it
> would be great to have your feedback.

Some needs I see:

* Be able to dynamically add a REST API either from a component installed by the EM or from a wiki page. Specifically it should be extra simple to create a wiki page that is a REST API to return custom view data.
* Full XWiki API available.
* Consistent REST API
* Fixes encoding issues we have currently with Restlet

Re: [xwiki-devs] REST API usages

Sergiu Dumitriu-3
On 06/19/2013 10:02 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> This is is great! see below.
>
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Fabio Mancinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I am working on some brainstorming about the future of the XWiki REST API...
>> The starting point, of course, would be to understand who is using it,
>> how she's using it (i.e., for which use cases), what are the problems
>> she has encoutered and which kind of feature she would like to see in
>> the API.
>>
>> So, if you have worked/interacted/built something with the REST API it
>> would be great to have your feedback.
>
> Some needs I see:
>
> * Be able to dynamically add a REST API either from a component installed by the EM or from a wiki page. Specifically it should be extra simple to create a wiki page that is a REST API to return custom view data.
> * Full XWiki API available.
> * Consistent REST API
> * Fixes encoding issues we have currently with Restlet

+1 to what Vincent said. Plus:

* better access to object data
** all the document data in one place, no need to fetch document, then
objects, then each property
** URL for getting object data from the first object of that type,
without having to specify the object number (useful when there's only
supposed to be one object of a type, but sometimes the object number can
be different from 0)
** easy to update object data

* search: lucene-like matches instead of regular expressions

http://purl.org/net/sergiu