Quantcast

Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project

Abhishek Sharma
Hi Thomas ,


Sorry to bother you again..

As suggested by you, I created an account on l10n.xwiki.org and was looking around how the stuff works, but I was completely lost.  There is a side bar showing the list of available applications, but when I open one of them say Curriki. I could not find how to provide translations in my preferred language.


Can you please help me out in figuring out how the stuff works so that I can create a proper user flow for the redesign (roadmap of which I'll eventually submit in my GSoC proposal)


I have already subscribed to the mailing list as you suggested.


I really look forward to work on the redesign of this project since this is an interesting project of XWiki.


Kindly spare some time from your schedule to help me, as it shall help in my GSoC proposal


Thanks and regards

Abhishek

________________________________
From: Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:24:08 PM
To: Abhishek Sharma; XWiki.org
Subject: Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project

Hi Abhishek,

I just saw your message on IRC (I guess it was you). Most of XWiki
committers are GMT+1 or +2 so you sent your message not long before
people start arriving probably.

It's great to see someone interested in improving that old thing :)
It's a very important part of the XWiki project but it's hard to find
devs interested in working on it.

The first thing to do usually is look at http://gsoc.xwiki.org/. In
case of http://l10n.xwiki.org you should also probably create an
account there and look at how it works (maybe try translating a few
things in some not complete language you master for example) to better
understand the (many) things that could be improved.

Also you should use the mailing list instead of sending me mails
directly, see http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/MailingLists.

Welcome in XWiki community :)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Abhishek Sharma
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>
>
> I am a student from India, and a budding UX Designer.
>
> I found the Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC project quite interesting and wish
> to work on it, Can you please let me know, how to get started? Is there
> anything I can do to increase my chances of selection other than working on
> my proposal?
>
>
> Thank you for your time
>
>
> Regards
>
> Abhishek



--
Thomas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
Curriki is not a very good example since it's pretty much dead.

The main one is "XWiki Platform" (but often takes a long time to
load), then you have to choose the translation resource you want to
translate (the biggest one is "XWiki Core Resources") by cliking on
"view" in the "Actions" column, then you can choose your language in
the list.

The alternative is to use the search on the left when you want to fix
a specific translation for example.

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Abhishek Sharma
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas ,
>
>
> Sorry to bother you again..
>
> As suggested by you, I created an account on l10n.xwiki.org and was looking around how the stuff works, but I was completely lost.  There is a side bar showing the list of available applications, but when I open one of them say Curriki. I could not find how to provide translations in my preferred language.
>
>
> Can you please help me out in figuring out how the stuff works so that I can create a proper user flow for the redesign (roadmap of which I'll eventually submit in my GSoC proposal)
>
>
> I have already subscribed to the mailing list as you suggested.
>
>
> I really look forward to work on the redesign of this project since this is an interesting project of XWiki.
>
>
> Kindly spare some time from your schedule to help me, as it shall help in my GSoC proposal
>
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Abhishek
>
> ________________________________
> From: Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:24:08 PM
> To: Abhishek Sharma; XWiki.org
> Subject: Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project
>
> Hi Abhishek,
>
> I just saw your message on IRC (I guess it was you). Most of XWiki
> committers are GMT+1 or +2 so you sent your message not long before
> people start arriving probably.
>
> It's great to see someone interested in improving that old thing :)
> It's a very important part of the XWiki project but it's hard to find
> devs interested in working on it.
>
> The first thing to do usually is look at http://gsoc.xwiki.org/. In
> case of http://l10n.xwiki.org you should also probably create an
> account there and look at how it works (maybe try translating a few
> things in some not complete language you master for example) to better
> understand the (many) things that could be improved.
>
> Also you should use the mailing list instead of sending me mails
> directly, see http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/MailingLists.
>
> Welcome in XWiki community :)
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Abhishek Sharma
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Thomas,
>>
>>
>> I am a student from India, and a budding UX Designer.
>>
>> I found the Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC project quite interesting and wish
>> to work on it, Can you please let me know, how to get started? Is there
>> anything I can do to increase my chances of selection other than working on
>> my proposal?
>>
>>
>> Thank you for your time
>>
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Abhishek
>
>
>
> --
> Thomas



--
Thomas Mortagne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project

Paul Libbrecht-2
Hello Abishek,

On 12 Mar 2017, at 10:27, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Curriki is not a very good example since it's pretty much dead.

Just to make it a tick clearer: Curriki powered by XWiki using the “XCLAMS” application (xclams.xwiki.org) is dead on curriki.org which has chosen another way.
It is alive on http://planete.sankore.org/xwiki/bin/view/Search/WebHome and on http://i2geo.net.
Both use fairly old versions of XWiki (to say the least) and are not in very active development.

For such big applications, an internal translation workflow was chosen which complements the default XWiki translations.
An example of it can be seen http://translators.i2geo.net/  where translators translate complete “properties” pages and tools to support the migration are described.


The method for current XWiki platforms is generally that of Thomas described below.

Paul

> The main one is "XWiki Platform" (but often takes a long time to
> load), then you have to choose the translation resource you want to
> translate (the biggest one is "XWiki Core Resources") by cliking on
> "view" in the "Actions" column, then you can choose your language in
> the list.
>
> The alternative is to use the search on the left when you want to fix
> a specific translation for example.
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Abhishek Sharma
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Thomas ,
>>
>>
>> Sorry to bother you again..
>>
>> As suggested by you, I created an account on l10n.xwiki.org and was looking around how the stuff works, but I was completely lost.  There is a side bar showing the list of available applications, but when I open one of them say Curriki. I could not find how to provide translations in my preferred language.
>>
>>
>> Can you please help me out in figuring out how the stuff works so that I can create a proper user flow for the redesign (roadmap of which I'll eventually submit in my GSoC proposal)
>>
>>
>> I have already subscribed to the mailing list as you suggested.
>>
>>
>> I really look forward to work on the redesign of this project since this is an interesting project of XWiki.
>>
>>
>> Kindly spare some time from your schedule to help me, as it shall help in my GSoC proposal
>>
>>
>> Thanks and regards
>>
>> Abhishek
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
>> Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:24:08 PM
>> To: Abhishek Sharma; XWiki.org
>> Subject: Re: Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC Project
>>
>> Hi Abhishek,
>>
>> I just saw your message on IRC (I guess it was you). Most of XWiki
>> committers are GMT+1 or +2 so you sent your message not long before
>> people start arriving probably.
>>
>> It's great to see someone interested in improving that old thing :)
>> It's a very important part of the XWiki project but it's hard to find
>> devs interested in working on it.
>>
>> The first thing to do usually is look at http://gsoc.xwiki.org/. In
>> case of http://l10n.xwiki.org you should also probably create an
>> account there and look at how it works (maybe try translating a few
>> things in some not complete language you master for example) to better
>> understand the (many) things that could be improved.
>>
>> Also you should use the mailing list instead of sending me mails
>> directly, see http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/MailingLists.
>>
>> Welcome in XWiki community :)
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Abhishek Sharma
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello Thomas,
>>>
>>>
>>> I am a student from India, and a budding UX Designer.
>>>
>>> I found the Improve l10n.xwiki.org GSoC project quite interesting and wish
>>> to work on it, Can you please let me know, how to get started? Is there
>>> anything I can do to increase my chances of selection other than working on
>>> my proposal?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time
>>>
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Abhishek
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
>
>
> --
> Thomas Mortagne


signature.asc (507 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...