Re: [VOTE] New Link and Image syntax for XWiki Syntax 2.2

Re: [VOTE] New Link and Image syntax for XWiki Syntax 2.2

I’ve read again both threads. Not an easy decision...

Some thoughts:

* I don't like any of the proposed solutions so far because they all make it harder to create links than what user already do in XWiki Syntax 2.0 or 2.1
* Solution 2 (forcing using the "doc" prefix when creating links to subwikis) is the solution that gathered the most votes. However when I think about solution 2 I think about xwiki.org and all the links I create every week from one wiki to another and I can't refrain from thinking that it's going to make more complex to create them.
* I can understand why some didn't like my proposal to have a shortcut syntax for links and a canonical one for typed references. Basically it's too complex for users.

In order to be complete, there's another possibility which is to change the delimiter for wikis or for reference types. Obviously it wouldn't be possible to change the delimiter for wikis (i.e. the ":" in "wiki:space.page") so remains the option to change the delimiter for reference types.

Here are some ideas for exploring this direction:

Solution 10
===========

* [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>doc::wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>path::/some/path]]
* [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>url::http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>user::evalica]]
* [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:doc::wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:icon::someicon.png]]

PROs:
* Syntax remains the shorter possible for links to docs and URLs
* Adding a new reference type doesn't break existing links/images

CONs:
* When using typed links/images, it's bit longer to type ("::" instead of ":")
* Small change of syntax for users but the majority of users use the shorthand notation
* Still a URI! (even if a weird one)
* Force to escape the ":" (with "~:") for spaces or documents starting with ":"

Solution 11
===========

Using URL-like notation:

* [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>doc://wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>path:///some/path]]
* [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>https://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>url://http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>user://evalica]]
* [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:doc://wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:icon://someicon.png]]

Compared to solution 10:

PROs:
* Uses a notation closer to a URL (could be a CONs too!)

CONs:
* One more character to type "://" vs "::"
* A bit strange when linking to URLs using the typed syntax ("url://http://xwiki.org")
* Need to use the typed syntax for URLs other than "http" and "https" (e.g. for specific URL schemes, like "ftp": "url://ftp://192.168.0.1")

Solution 12
===========

Then there are other possible notations such as:

* [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>doc#wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>path#/some/path]]
* [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>url#http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>user#evalica]]
* [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:doc#wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:icon#someicon.png]]

Solution 13
===========

Or:

* [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>doc=wiki:space.page]]
* [[label>>path=/some/path]]
* [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>url=http://xwiki.org]]
* [[label>>user=evalica]]
* [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:doc=wiki:[hidden email]]]
* [[image:icon=someicon.png]]

Personally I'm still hesitating but seen that the majority of use cases are for links to documents, I think I'd like a solution that doesn't change the shorthand syntax for linking to documents.

So I'm still ok with Solution A (i.e. don't do anything) and baring that, solution 10 also seems acceptable to me, seen that we don't use the typed syntax that often so simple users won't see their habits changed.

On 30 Apr 2013 at 11:02:46, Vincent Massol ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> [...]
>
> The need is to be able to plug new reference type handlers without breaking backward compatibility in XWiki Syntax 2.2 (since right now with XWiki Syntax 2.0 and 2.1 adding a new type reference handler would break backward compatibility).
>
> So here are various proposals to that effect for XWiki Syntax 2.2 (I've only kept the interesting proposals from the previous thread). Please vote for the one you prefer or add new solutions if you have other better ideas.
>
> Proposal 1
> =========
>
> Force XWiki Syntax 2.2 to *ALWAYS* use the full form when creating a link or image, i.e. all links would need to be written: [[label>>type:reference]]
>
> Examples:
> * [[label>>doc:space.page]]
> * [[label>>doc:wiki:space.page]]
> * [[label>>path:/some/path]]
> * [[label>>url:http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>user:evalica]]
> * [[image:doc:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:icon:someicon.png]]
>
> CONS:
> * Harder to write links to documents which is the main use case
>
> Proposal 2
> =========
>
> Same as with XWiki Syntax 2.1 but for links or images to subwikis force the user to use the "doc:" notation
>
> Examples:
> * [[label>>space.page]] or [[label>>doc:space.page]]
> * [[label>>doc:wiki:space.page]]
> * [[label>>>path:/some/path]]
> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]] or [[label>>>url:http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>user:evalica]]
> * [[image:doc:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:icon:someicon.png]]
>
> PRO:
> * Still easy to reference docs and images in the current wiki
> * Close to current XWiki Syntax 2.1
>
> CONS:
> * Harder to write links to documents in subwikis (for workspaces users for example, see example of xwiki.org)
>
> Proposal 3
> =========
>
> Always define the type as a link or image parameter, i.e. separate subwiki notation from type.
>
> Examples:
> * [[label>>space.page]] or [[label>>space.page||type="doc"]]
> * [[label>>wiki:space.page]] or [[label>>wiki:space.page||type="doc"]]
> * [[label>>>/some/path||type="path"]]
> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]] or [[label>>>http://xwiki.org||type="url"]]
> * [[label>>evalica||type="user"]]
> * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]] or [[image:wiki:[hidden email]||type="doc"]]
> * [[image:someicon.png||type="icon"]]
>
> PRO:
> * Still easy to reference docs
> * Clear separation between subwiki and types
>
> CONS:
> * Harder to write typed links
> * Harder to write references in non xwiki/2.x syntax that would not support link parameters

Re: [VOTE] New Link and Image syntax for XWiki Syntax 2.2

Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau

> [...]
> * [[label>>path#/some/path]]
> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>url#http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>user#evalica]]
> * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:doc#wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:icon#someicon.png]]
>
> Solution 13
> ===========
>
> Or:
>
> * [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
> * [[label>>doc=wiki:space.page]]
> * [[label>>path=/some/path]]
> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>url=http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>user=evalica]]
> * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:doc=wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:icon=someicon.png]]
>
> Personally I'm still hesitating but seen that the majority of use cases
> are for links to documents,

I think I'd like a solution that doesn't change the shorthand syntax for

+1

> So I'm still ok with Solution A (i.e. don't do anything) and baring that,
> solution 10 also seems acceptable to me, seen that we don't use the typed
> syntax that often so simple users won't see their habits changed.
>
> WDYT?

I feel that the solution 13 (with "=") is more natural to me that the "::"
notation.

> [...]
> > =========
> >
> > Always define the type as a link or image parameter, i.e. separate
> subwiki notation from type.
> >
> > Examples:
> > * [[label>>space.page]] or [[label>>space.page||type="doc"]]
> > * [[label>>wiki:space.page]] or [[label>>wiki:space.page||type="doc"]]
> > * [[label>>>/some/path||type="path"]]
> > * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]] or [[label>>>http://xwiki.org
> ||type="url"]]
> > * [[label>>evalica||type="user"]]
> > * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]] or
> [[image:wiki:[hidden email]||type="doc"]]
> > * [[image:someicon.png||type="icon"]]
> >
> > PRO:
> > * Still easy to reference docs
> > * Clear separation between subwiki and types
> >
> > CONS:
> > * Harder to write typed links
> > * Harder to write references in non xwiki/2.x syntax that would not

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] New Link and Image syntax for XWiki Syntax 2.2

jerem
Hi,

Just an idea - sorry if it's stupid :)

So roughly current syntax, but adding in syntax a way to escape a reserved
keyword ?
For example:
[[label>>user:evalica]]
... is a reference to user profile of evalica, even if wiki "user" exists.
While:
[[label>>'user':evalica]] or [[label>>"user":evalica]]
... is a non ambigüous reference to space "evalica" in wiki "user".
Or to reference a page in a wiki named "doc" : [[label>>"doc":space.page]]
(instead of [[label>>doc:doc:space.page]] )
So everytime I put something between quotes, it means that I consider it a
real entity name.

BR,
Jeremie

On 20 Oct 2014 at 10:37:32, Jeremie BOUSQUET ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just an idea - sorry if it's stupid :)
>
> So roughly current syntax, but adding in syntax a way to escape a reserved
> keyword ?
> For example:
> [[label>>user:evalica]]
> ... is a reference to user profile of evalica, even if wiki "user" exists.
> While:
> [[label>>'user':evalica]] or [[label>>"user":evalica]]
> ... is a non ambigüous reference to space "evalica" in wiki "user".
> Or to reference a page in a wiki named "doc" : [[label>>"doc":space.page]]
> (instead of [[label>>doc:doc:space.page]] )
> So everytime I put something between quotes, it means that I consider it a
> real entity name.

That doesn't work unfortunately ;) Remember that the goal was to be backward-compatible:
- users will use "somewiki:somespace.somepage" all the time. They wouldn't use the quoted form everywhere as otherwise it would mean a new syntax per see
- when an extension (or a new syntax version) adds support for a new resource type, all existing links that conflict with it are broken.

Example:

- a user has a "user" subwiki and creates link to it: [[label>>user:space.page]]
- the admin installs a new extension that registers a new resource type for "user"
- existing links to the "user" wiki are broken.

> [...]

> > (instead of [[label>>doc:doc:space.page]] )
> > So everytime I put something between quotes, it means that I consider it
> > real entity name.
> >

> That doesn't work unfortunately ;) Remember that the goal was to be
> backward-compatible:
> - users will use "somewiki:somespace.somepage" all the time. They wouldn't
> use the quoted form everywhere as otherwise it would mean a new syntax per
> see
> - when an extension (or a new syntax version) adds support for a new
> resource type, all existing links that conflict with it are broken.
>
> Example:
>
> - a user has a "user" subwiki and creates link to it:
> [[label>>user:space.page]]
> - the admin installs a new extension that registers a new resource type
> for "user"
> - existing links to the "user" wiki are broken.

You're right, I thought only about migrations of syntax 2.1 to 2.2 or
further, that could escape existing links, but I didn't think about this
use-case of dynamic registering of new resource types ...
In this case I feel that "::" is closer to the ":" used currently and
avoids adding a different separator character ... It also goes in the
direction of doubling everything in wiki syntaxes :D ( "[[", ">>", "**" ...)
'=' and '#' seem too meaningful already ('=' for assignments, macros
properties, ...; '#' for anchors).

> > BR,
> > Jeremie

> make
> 2.0
> > > or
> > > create
> > > that
> shortcut
> it's

> change
> wouldn't be

> instead of
> starting

> ")

> cases
> > > >
> > > I think I'd like a solution that doesn't change the shorthand syntax
> for
> > > >

> > > +1

> that,
> typed

> > > I feel that the solution 13 (with "=") is more natural to me that the
> "::"
> > > notation.

> (mailto:

> it
> > > images

> with
> break

> (I've
> > > vote
> > > ideas.

> force

> users

> [[label>>wiki:space.page||type="doc"]]

> > > --
> > > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > > Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] New Link and Image syntax for XWiki Syntax 2.2

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> * [[label>>path:///some/path]]
> * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>https://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>url://http://xwiki.org]]
> * [[label>>user://evalica]]
> * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:doc://wiki:[hidden email]]]
> * [[image:icon://someicon.png]]
>
> Compared to solution 10:
>
> PROs:
> * Uses a notation closer to a URL (could be a CONs too!)
>
> CONs:
> * One more character to type "://" vs "::"
> * A bit strange when linking to URLs using the typed syntax ("url://
> http://xwiki.org")
> * Need to use the typed syntax for URLs other than "http" and "https"
> (e.g. for specific URL schemes, like "ftp": "url://ftp://192.168.0.1")
>
> Solution 12
> ===========
>
> Then there are other possible notations such as:

I like this solution the most. It looks like a parameter. Can I put
something (single quotes, double quotes) like [[label>>user='evalica']]?

On 20 Oct 2014 at 11:27:03, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Then there are other possible notations such as:
> >
> > * [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
> > * [[label>>doc#wiki:space.page]]
> > * [[label>>path#/some/path]]
> > * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
> > * [[label>>url#http://xwiki.org]]
> > * [[label>>user#evalica]]
> > * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> > * [[image:doc#wiki:[hidden email]]]
> > * [[image:icon#someicon.png]]
> >
> > Solution 13
> > ===========
> >
> > Or:
> >
> > * [[label>>wiki:space.page]]
> > * [[label>>doc=wiki:space.page]]
> > * [[label>>path=/some/path]]
> > * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]]
> > * [[label>>url=http://xwiki.org]]
> > * [[label>>user=evalica]]
> > * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]]
> > * [[image:doc=wiki:[hidden email]]]
> > * [[image:icon=someicon.png]]
> >

> I like this solution the most. It looks like a parameter.

Yes this is why I suggested it. It looks "natural". However this is also why I don't like that much, it's too magical, because it's not a parameter and thus it's misleading! It's a reference...

> Can I put
> something (single quotes, double quotes) like [[label>>user='evalica']]?

No, you cannot, it's a refefence…

> [...]
> > >
> > > Examples:
> > > * [[label>>space.page]] or [[label>>space.page||type="doc"]]
> > > * [[label>>wiki:space.page]] or [[label>>wiki:space.page||type="doc"]]
> > > * [[label>>>/some/path||type="path"]]
> > > * [[label>>http://xwiki.org]] or [[label>>>http://xwiki.org
> > > * [[label>>evalica||type="user"]]
> > > * [[image:wiki:[hidden email]]] or
> > [[image:wiki:[hidden email]||type="doc"]]
> > > * [[image:someicon.png||type="icon"]]
> > >
> > > PRO:
> > > * Still easy to reference docs
> > > * Clear separation between subwiki and types
> > >
> > > CONS:
> > > * Harder to write typed links
> > > * Harder to write references in non xwiki/2.x syntax that would not
> > support link parameters
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] New Link and Image syntax for XWiki Syntax 2.2

Forwarding mail since somehow we lost the mailinglist recipient