Re: XAR source projects should allow source files

Re: XAR source projects should allow source files

Paul Libbrecht-2
>> On 26 Aug 2016, at 13:50, Vincent Massol wrote:
[...]
>> * What I understand is that you’re not proposing to change the XAR
>> format but to introduce some tooling to generate a XAR from a set of
>> source files, at build time. Correct?
[...]

I am rewaking this rather older subject (see
http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/XAR-source-projects-should-allow-source-files-td7600774i20.html
and older things mentioned there) with yet another attempt which might
satisfy everyone: an attempt to use XAR-Transformations to include files
into XARs. It defines two extra transformations:

- INSERT_TEXT (using an XPath expression): inserts the content of the
text file
- INSERT_ATTACHMENT_CONTENT (using a file name): inserts the content of
a file in base64

The attempt is detailed in https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1614
and has a pull-request and an example realisation.

I claim that this attempt allows project developers to nicely edit files
and let them be combined into a xar when it is the time. See the issue
for an example realisation.

I would love your comments.

Paul

Re: XAR source projects should allow source files

Hi Paul, I commented the jira issue and the PR.

I don't see any harm in this approach at meast so it's a +1 from me.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 3:06 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> On 26 Aug 2016, at 13:50, Vincent Massol wrote:
> [...]
> >> * What I understand is that you’re not proposing to change the XAR
> >> format but to introduce some tooling to generate a XAR from a set of
> >> source files, at build time. Correct?
> [...]
>
> I am rewaking this rather older subject (see
> http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/XAR-source-projects-should-allow-source-files-td7600774i20.html
> and older things mentioned there) with yet another attempt which might
> satisfy everyone: an attempt to use XAR-Transformations to include files
> into XARs. It defines two extra transformations:
>
> - INSERT_TEXT (using an XPath expression): inserts the content of the
> text file
> - INSERT_ATTACHMENT_CONTENT (using a file name): inserts the content of
> a file in base64
>
> The attempt is detailed in https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1614
> and has a pull-request and an example realisation.
>
> I claim that this attempt allows project developers to nicely edit files
> and let them be combined into a xar when it is the time. See the issue
> for an example realisation.
>
> I would love your comments.
>
> Paul

Re: XAR source projects should allow source files

Paul Libbrecht-2
Thank you for your comments Thomas and Vincent,
Thanks for merging my pull request.

Dear all,

Since 11.4-SNAPSHOT (it will 11.4-RC1 in I suppose), it is possible to
use the transformation actions INSERT_TEXT and
INSERT_ATTACHMENT_CONTENT.
This is documented in
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/XARPlugin#HInsertTextContentofaFile

paul