Re: XWiki Data Model

zuzur
Hey Jim,

thanks for this long e-mail ! i see you did a lot of work and deep
thinking since our last conversation, and if you don't mind i'm going
to move this conversation to the developer's list, because i think
other people may have interesting points to raise into this
conversation ...

I need some time to reply to all the points you list, but several
points can be adressed right now :

- HQL is Hibernate query langage. Similar to SQL, but RDBMS
independant and allows you to directly use Plain Old Java Objects
(POJOs) and collections of POJO (one-to-many, many-to-many, etc ...).
You need to read the mapping (xwiki.hbm.xml) which maps those POJOs to
tables, columns, and relations to understand the queries there.

- because we use this framework, most of the benefit of stored
procedures (no sql in code, independence) is of no use for our
particular application. Regarding performance, i personally don't
think the models and problems of the xwiki data stores are complex
enough to be moved to the backend database. This might not be the case
for applications built on top of xwiki, and hibernate provides a very
limited support for calling stored procedures.

- about FK and PK constraints, it's true we might run into situations
where the data model would be corrupted by an untested commit and/or a
badly developped plugin. We need to balance the cost of enhancing the
data model to what you propose and its real benefit. My opinion is
that this would make the learning curve less steep for people starting
to develop on our platform. But the Document model is well
encapsulated at the very bottom of the Object model, and further
isolated by Hibernate, so i don't think this is that much of a
problem.

Again, your mileage may vary and this is the beauty of the OSS
development model :-)

Always happy to discuss this matter,

Erwan