Re: [xwiki-users] Spellcheck

Hans Gerwitz
(Moving this to xwiki-dev)

True, but a plugin architecture for simple, linear editing "workflow"
beyond the present edit->preview->save might make sense.  It'd be
nice to have edit-time plugins that not only correct spelling, but
suggest internal links, verify external links, request entry of tags,
auto-create objects based on content, etc.

While working on SnipSnap, I often find myself wanting to plug into
the edit lifecycle.  Perhaps refactoring the render lifecycle to use
WikiModel presents an opportunity here?
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
http://phobia.com/

On Dec 20, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A spell check plugin does not make much sense anymore..
> The Googlebar is compatible with both IE and Firefox and includes a
> spellcheck toll for forms
>
> Ludovic
>
> Marc Lijour a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there a spellcheck plugin available?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc

> Ludovic Dubost
> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: Re: [xwiki-users] Spellcheck

Ludovic Dubost

Yes, it's a good idea.. I'm been thinking about a good way to suggest
links or handle spellcheking.

This could indeed be done in the "Preview" step. We could add a filter
API for the preview which could add some HTML/JS on the fly to certain
part of the text. Then the client UI would allow the user to choose
between the proposed suggestions. Finally the preview could be refreshed
with the changes.

Drag and dropping of images in the document could also be done at that
point.

Now this is quite a lot of work.

Ludovic

Hans Gerwitz a écrit :

> (Moving this to xwiki-dev)
>
> True, but a plugin architecture for simple, linear editing "workflow"
> beyond the present edit->preview->save might make sense.  It'd be nice
> to have edit-time plugins that not only correct spelling, but suggest
> internal links, verify external links, request entry of tags,
> auto-create objects based on content, etc.
>
> While working on SnipSnap, I often find myself wanting to plug into
> the edit lifecycle.  Perhaps refactoring the render lifecycle to use
> WikiModel presents an opportunity here?
> - - -
> Hans Gerwitz
> http://phobia.com/
>

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> A spell check plugin does not make much sense anymore..
>> The Googlebar is compatible with both IE and Firefox and includes a
>> spellcheck toll for forms
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Marc Lijour a écrit :
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is there a spellcheck plugin available?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Marc

>> --Ludovic Dubost
>> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
>> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: Re: [xwiki-users] Spellcheck

Hans Gerwitz
A lot of work, yes, but if the editing workflow supports plugins such
that we could configure additional preview steps, then at least some
work becomes external.

For example, I've implemented tags a bit differently than Jeremi has,
and would love to add my own plugin that includes a "tag this
document" step with a list of already-used tags and suggestions based
on document content.  The "only" core XWiki work needed for this an
editing lifecycle API and configuration interface.

Conceptually, the plugin API requirements are simple:
1) given this state (content, new or existing doc, user), would you
like to interact with the user?
2) if so, what HTML fragment should I show the user?
3) goto 1

Most interesting plugins would require exposing services for form
submission or AJAX requests.  In the case of form submissions, they'd
need a mechanism for forwarding back into the process.  Maybe JSR 168
offers an analogue, but I'm not sure how or if to "prevent" plugins
from sending their own, unskinned response (terrible for user
experience) while still allowing them to services AJAX requests or
use pop-up windows.
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
http://phobia.com/

On Dec 29, 2005, at 8:45 AM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> Yes, it's a good idea.. I'm been thinking about a good way to
> suggest links or handle spellcheking.
>
> This could indeed be done in the "Preview" step. We could add a
> filter API for the preview which could add some HTML/JS on the fly
> to certain part of the text. Then the client UI would allow the
> user to choose between the proposed suggestions. Finally the
> preview could be refreshed with the changes.
>
> Drag and dropping of images in the document could also be done at
> that point.
>
> Now this is quite a lot of work.
>
> Ludovic

Re: Re: [xwiki-users] Spellcheck Request

Jim Stuttard-3
On Dec 20, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> A spell check plugin does not make much sense anymore..
> The Googlebar is compatible with both IE and Firefox and includes a
> spellcheck toll for forms

Hi Ludo and Hans,

Sorry for another request but this is something I definitely can't do.
Fraid xwiki.com, xwiki.org and, presumably, xwiki.com hosted sites in
english, need *all* documents running over with
both an english language spellchecker *and* a grammar checker (just a
question of US or english english @)?)

Jim

I use a mixture: eg. program not programme, but modelling ("mod-elling")
not modeling ("mow-del-ing") which sounds and
is stupid.

So I don't care which english xwiki uses, not being a nationalist.

--
Jim Stuttard