Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

Phung Nam
Hi all !

http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-524

Now we're going to rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros  to make use of the style macro.

I'm proposing 2 choices:

Option 1 : we will use this syntax for info, warning, error and floatingbox macros :

{style:type=warning}
       This is the warning !!
{style}

{style:type=info}
       This is the Info !!
{style}

{style:type=error}
       This is the Error !!
{style}

{style:type=floatingbox }
       This is the floatingbox !!
{style}

Option 2 :

{warning}
       This is the warning with multiple lines !!
       This is the warning with multiple lines !!
{warning}

{info}
       This is the info with multiple lines !!
       This is the info with multiple lines !!
{info}

which syntax should we use for xwiki ! I need your opinions about this problem.

Thanks and best regards !
- Phung Nam.

Re: Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

Both!

We need Option 2 definitely but internally it'll use the style macro.
As the user can also use the style macro he'll also be able to write
style:type=xxx

Just make sure you stay compatible with the format that currently
exists or if not please let us all know so that we can decide about
it and at the minimum write it in the release notes.

On Jan 31, 2007, at 5:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-524
>
> Now we're going to rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox
> macros  to make use of the style macro.
>
> I'm proposing 2 choices:
>
> Option 1 : we will use this syntax for info, warning, error and
> floatingbox macros :
>
> {style:type=warning}
>        This is the warning !!
> {style}
>
> {style:type=info}
>        This is the Info !!
> {style}
>
> {style:type=error}
>        This is the Error !!
> {style}
>
> {style:type=floatingbox }
>        This is the floatingbox !!
> {style}
>
> Option 2 :
>
> {warning}
>        This is the warning with multiple lines !!
>        This is the warning with multiple lines !!
> {warning}
>
> {info}
>        This is the info with multiple lines !!
>        This is the info with multiple lines !!
> {info}

> which syntax should we use for xwiki ! I need your opinions about
> this problem.
>
> Thanks and best regards !
> - Phung Nam.

Re: Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

+1 for option 2.

It should be easy for a novice to write a "warning" message.
- {warning} is more meaningful than {style:type=warning}
- {warning} is shorter
- {style} is more complex, and a novice user might get lost studying its full syntax. {warning} is short and simple.

[...]

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

Marta Girdea
+1 for option 2

"info", "warning", "error" shouldn't be the way you style the message,
but the purpose of the message. Moreover, writing {info} .. {info} is
shorter, easier to remember and much more natural for someone that
doesn't care what's behind the macro.

> Hi all !
>
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-524
>
> Now we're going to rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros  to make use of the style macro.
>
> I'm proposing 2 choices:
>
> Option 1 : we will use this syntax for info, warning, error and floatingbox macros :
>
> {style:type=warning}
>        This is the warning !!
> {style}
>
> {style:type=info}
>        This is the Info !!
> {style}
>
> {style:type=error}
>        This is the Error !!
> {style}
>
> {style:type=floatingbox }
>        This is the floatingbox !!
> {style}
>
> Option 2 :
>
> {warning}
>        This is the warning with multiple lines !!
>        This is the warning with multiple lines !!
> {warning}
>
> {info}
>        This is the info with multiple lines !!
>        This is the info with multiple lines !!
> {info}

> which syntax should we use for xwiki ! I need your opinions about this problem.
>
> Thanks and best regards !
> - Phung Nam.

Re: Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

Jean-Vincent Drean
+1 for option 2

much more simpler.

JV.

2007/1/31, Marta Girdea <[hidden email]>:

> +1 for option 2
>
> "info", "warning", "error" shouldn't be the way you style the message,
> but the purpose of the message. Moreover, writing {info} .. {info} is
> shorter, easier to remember and much more natural for someone that
> doesn't care what's behind the macro.

> > Hi all !
> >
> > http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-524
> >
> > Now we're going to rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros  to make use of the style macro.
> >
> > I'm proposing 2 choices:
> >
> > Option 1 : we will use this syntax for info, warning, error and floatingbox macros :
> >
> > {style:type=warning}
> >        This is the warning !!
> > {style}
> >
> > {style:type=info}
> >        This is the Info !!
> > {style}
> >
> > {style:type=error}
> >        This is the Error !!
> > {style}
> >
> > {style:type=floatingbox }
> >        This is the floatingbox !!
> > {style}
> >
> > Option 2 :
> >
> > {warning}
> >        This is the warning with multiple lines !!
> >        This is the warning with multiple lines !!
> > {warning}
> >
> > {info}
> >        This is the info with multiple lines !!
> >        This is the info with multiple lines !!
> > {info}

> > which syntax should we use for xwiki ! I need your opinions about this problem.
> >
> > Thanks and best regards !
> > - Phung Nam.

Re: Rewrite the info, warning, error and floatingbox macros to make use of the style macro .

Sébastien Gaïde

+1 for solution 2, that seems to be more natural.

S.