Rights inheritance doubt in v7.4

iago.lluque
Hi all,

I have doubts about how permissions are inherited in XWiki v7.4. Does
this statement from your documentation still apply for this version?
/"*Note on permission inheritance*//
//When a permission is explicitly set for a given group or user at a
certain scope (page, space or wiki) then other groups and users must
also have the right explicitly set as well, at this scope or a scope
upstream.//
//For example, when you decide to explicitly allow the view right for
"GroupA" on a given space, users that are not members of "GroupA" must
have the view right explicitly set either on the given space or on the
whole wiki to be able to view the space as well."/

I expose my problem:
GroupA with edit rights at Wiki level.
GroupB with view rights at Wiki level.
I grant GroupB edit permissions on a certain page => GroupA is no longer
able to edit this page (neither its children) until I specifically grant
them edit rights (again, as at Wiki level they have them). This
contradicts previous statement.

Could you please clarify? Thanks in advance!

--
ASOL Email Un cordial saludo,
Iago Lluque

Re: Rights inheritance doubt in v7.4

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Iago,

indeed, the documentation is slightly wrong on this. Rights applied
downstream take precedence over rights applied upstream, so you also need
to give GroupA edit rights on the page.

One exception to this is the admin right, which keeps applying downstream
in all circumstances.

Guillaume

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Iago Lluque <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have doubts about how permissions are inherited in XWiki v7.4. Does this
> statement from your documentation still apply for this version?
> /"*Note on permission inheritance*//
> //When a permission is explicitly set for a given group or user at a
> certain scope (page, space or wiki) then other groups and users must also
> have the right explicitly set as well, at this scope or a scope upstream.//
> //For example, when you decide to explicitly allow the view right for
> "GroupA" on a given space, users that are not members of "GroupA" must have
> the view right explicitly set either on the given space or on the whole
> wiki to be able to view the space as well."/
>
> I expose my problem:
> GroupA with edit rights at Wiki level.
> GroupB with view rights at Wiki level.
> I grant GroupB edit permissions on a certain page => GroupA is no longer
> able to edit this page (neither its children) until I specifically grant
> them edit rights (again, as at Wiki level they have them). This contradicts
> previous statement.
>
> Could you please clarify? Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> ASOL Email Un cordial saludo,
> Iago Lluque
> /
> *Alínea Software Solutions S.L.*
> Travesía del Comercio 3, 2º 36002 Pontevedra España
> Tel: +34 986 845 699
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Web: http://www.alineasol.com
> /

Re: Rights inheritance doubt in v7.4

We’re still updating the doc but a draft version exists at:
- Use guide: http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Drafts/Rights+Management
- Admin guide: http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Drafts/AccessRights

Let us know if this new version is better!

> On 27 Apr 2016, at 18:08, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Iago,
>
> indeed, the documentation is slightly wrong on this. Rights applied
> downstream take precedence over rights applied upstream, so you also need
> to give GroupA edit rights on the page.
>
> One exception to this is the admin right, which keeps applying downstream
> in all circumstances.
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Iago Lluque <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have doubts about how permissions are inherited in XWiki v7.4. Does this
>> statement from your documentation still apply for this version?
>> /"*Note on permission inheritance*//
>> //When a permission is explicitly set for a given group or user at a
>> certain scope (page, space or wiki) then other groups and users must also
>> have the right explicitly set as well, at this scope or a scope upstream.//
>> //For example, when you decide to explicitly allow the view right for
>> "GroupA" on a given space, users that are not members of "GroupA" must have
>> the view right explicitly set either on the given space or on the whole
>> wiki to be able to view the space as well."/
>>
>> I expose my problem:
>> GroupA with edit rights at Wiki level.
>> GroupB with view rights at Wiki level.
>> I grant GroupB edit permissions on a certain page => GroupA is no longer
>> able to edit this page (neither its children) until I specifically grant
>> them edit rights (again, as at Wiki level they have them). This contradicts
>> previous statement.
>>
>> Could you please clarify? Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> ASOL Email Un cordial saludo,
>> Iago Lluque
>> /
>> *Alínea Software Solutions S.L.*
>> Travesía del Comercio 3, 2º 36002 Pontevedra España
>> Tel: +34 986 845 699
>> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Web: http://www.alineasol.com
>> /

Re: Rights inheritance doubt in v7.4

iago.lluque