SMTP Server (error message)

jgehbauer-3
Hello again,

I tried again sending a mail from a sendmail testpage and I received the following error message:

Error number 4001 in 4: Error while parsing velocity page Demo.SendMailTestPage Wrapped Exception: Invocation of method 'sendMessage' in class com.xpn.xwiki.XWiki threw exception class com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException : Error number 10003 in 10: Exception while sending email from to [Ljava.lang.String;@24797f Wrapped Exception: Connection refused

Thanks for your help. I am pretty much lost.

Jens

Re: SMTP Server (error message)

Mark H. James
At least in some versions of the code, the mail sending function uses
a string containing the XWiki version in the HELO message, unless a
value is set for the preference "smtp_login". This should be set to
the fully qualified hostname of the machine XWiki is running on.

Some SMTP servers will accept mail with an incorrect value there, but
some are set to reject mail if the value passed doesn't resolve into
the same IP address the connection is coming from.

On May 14, 2006, at 3:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I tried again sending a mail from a sendmail testpage and I
> received the following error message:
>
> Error number 4001 in 4: Error while parsing velocity page
> Demo.SendMailTestPage Wrapped Exception: Invocation of method
> 'sendMessage' in class com.xpn.xwiki.XWiki threw exception class
> com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException : Error number 10003 in 10: Exception
> while sending email from to [Ljava.lang.String;@24797f Wrapped
> Exception: Connection refused
>

> Thanks for your help. I am pretty much lost.
>

> Jens
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: SMTP Server (error message)

jgehbauer-3
Hi,

thanks for the answer, Mark. Does this mean I need a seperate smtp
server running on my local machine or would it also work with a smtp
server of an ISP (e.g. smtp.comcast.net)? If yes, how would I
authenticate on that smtp server?

On May 14, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Mark H. James wrote:

> At least in some versions of the code, the mail sending function
> uses a string containing the XWiki version in the HELO message,
> unless a value is set for the preference "smtp_login". This should
> be set to the fully qualified hostname of the machine XWiki is
> running on.
>
> Some SMTP servers will accept mail with an incorrect value there,
> but some are set to reject mail if the value passed doesn't resolve
> into the same IP address the connection is coming from.
>

> On May 14, 2006, at 3:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I tried again sending a mail from a sendmail testpage and I
>> received the following error message:
>>
>> Error number 4001 in 4: Error while parsing velocity page
>> Demo.SendMailTestPage Wrapped Exception: Invocation of method
>> 'sendMessage' in class com.xpn.xwiki.XWiki threw exception class
>> com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException : Error number 10003 in 10: Exception
>> while sending email from to [Ljava.lang.String;@24797f Wrapped
>> Exception: Connection refused
>>

>> Thanks for your help. I am pretty much lost.
>>

>> Jens
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: SMTP Server (error message)

Mark H. James
It's not really a "login",  but you need to pass the fully qualified
hostname of your machine in a form that the SMTP server will accept
in the "smtp_login" setting (Note: this should be exposed in the
XWiki preferences editor, but isn't in the version that I have at
least).

This really varies on what SMTP server you are using. If it is not
working and you are not sure why, you'll need to look at the docs for
the SMTP server you are using.